Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/30/2016 3:00:45 PM   
Poopyhead

F1 as a business is about the Constructor's Championship. The viewers are about the Driver's Championship. The points' leader gets the title and he doesn't make one penny for this. The F1 drivers are like a squadron of Ace fighter pilots. Each would probably laugh at something as comparatively easy as say Astronaut training. So, once a year, someone gets to be Number One and the fans love it or not. I have immense respect for each of them. What happened to Bianchi should remind everyone that the sport is an incredible act of daring and bravery on every lap. At the risk of sounding like a Participation Award, I know that all the drivers are winners.

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1051
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/30/2016 3:30:11 PM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

The points' leader gets the title and he doesn't make one penny for this.

Ahh...incorrect! It might very well be that Nico will not get one penny from the F1 organization itself, which frankly would be a pittance to what he will get now with endorsements, etc...

Becoming an F1 champ makes you rich...besides the incredible salary....which in Nico's case I'm sure will increase with his next contract coming up soon.

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 11/30/2016 3:31:09 PM >

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 1052
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 11/30/2016 8:33:28 PM   
british exil

quote:

Becoming an F1 champ makes you rich...besides the incredible salary....which in Nico's case I'm sure will increase with his next contract coming up soon.

Not quite true, most F1 drivers in the top teams are already rich. Becoming the F1 champ is a bonus and makes one even more richer or makes the team richer as new sponsors become available.
How much money/sponsors can a driver bring to the team, is often a reason for earning a contract with a team.
Nico signed his new contract in the middle of the season, 22th July, for a £34 million two year contract (till 2018). http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/nico-rosberg-pens-bumper-new-8469752
Nico was then leading the championship with 168 points and Hamilton was trailing with 167 points. 1 point behind.

There was no way the contact being signed as Nico already declared the 2016 F1 champion. And I doubt that Mercedes will be offering a new contract after the season, just to give Nico more money. Nico signed the deal and worked his way to the title.

BTW. just here a few numbers in the earnings. http://www.totalsportek.com/f1/formula-1-driver-salaries/

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 1053
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/2/2016 2:05:42 PM   
Poopyhead

Nico Rosberg retires!

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1-nico-rosberg-retirement-mercedes-120216

< Message edited by Poopyhead -- 12/2/2016 2:06:52 PM >

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 1054
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/2/2016 4:11:10 PM   
Gilmer

That news was shocking to me as I read it this morning, but he makes sense.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 1055
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/2/2016 4:33:47 PM   
Hotschi

What a bombshell! Rosberg also mentioned his wive and young daughter as reason to quit F1 racing. Makes sense to me. For the fans or for anyone interested in Formula 1 racing, Rosberg is but one of many racers; for his daughter, Mum and Dad are the whole universe. Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats that.

Already speculations began all over the usual places who's going to replace him. Pascal Wehrlein, Esteban Ocon and Valtteri Bottas are mentioned. But also Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso, which - I think - will be very very unlikely in both cases. Too expensive to get them out of their contracts.

And IF it will be Alonso, it would be bad news for Mercedes - Alonso has a reputation to always join the wrong team at the wrong time...

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 12/2/2016 4:35:25 PM >

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1056
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/9/2016 7:17:01 PM   
warspite1

No idea why it took Wolff so long to come out and say this. From such an experienced management team - Wolff/Lauda/Lowe - the decision on how to manage the race was inexplicable and shockingly naive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4018146/Mercedes-chief-Toto-Wolff-regrets-wrong-decision-Lewis-Hamilton-orders-Abu-Dhabi-ve-communicated-differently.html

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1057
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/10/2016 1:23:24 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

No idea why it took Wolff so long to come out and say this. From such an experienced management team - Wolff/Lauda/Lowe - the decision on how to manage the race was inexplicable and shockingly naive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-4018146/Mercedes-chief-Toto-Wolff-regrets-wrong-decision-Lewis-Hamilton-orders-Abu-Dhabi-ve-communicated-differently.html

Or maybe he just realised they are now left with Hamilton

Seriously though, agree with the fact it was stupid to not allow them to race, as Merc already had the championships both nailed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1058
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/22/2016 7:42:32 PM   
warspite1

Probably speaking too soon [this sort of comment can always come back to bit one on the bum] but I can't help thinking that Mercedes are making a mistake with Bottas.... and as for Massa's return

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1059
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/23/2016 3:55:03 PM   
Gilmer

Hi Warspite, I'm looking for these two news bits. I am not questioning you, just would like to read more about them.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1060
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/23/2016 4:07:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Hi Warspite, I'm looking for these two news bits. I am not questioning you, just would like to read more about them.
warspite1

Hi H Gilmer - not a done deal yet (either of them) but an announcement, according to 'reliable sources' is expected after Christmas.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1061
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 12/23/2016 4:55:27 PM   
Hotschi

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2016/12/felipe-massa-vor-rueckkehr-in-die-formel-1-16122010.html

It's in German, though, maybe Google Translator can help. Massa driving again, why not, many racers came back after a break - his 'break' would be the shortest one possible . I like Massa, he's one of many "could-be-champions" who never scored, but on the other hand he has done a good enough job in the last years to justify a cockpit.

More interesting for me is that Pat Symonds leaves Williams, while Paddy Lowe joins the team coming from Mercedes. Could be part of a deal to lure Bottas to Mercedes, but who knows. Williams doesn't comment regarding Massa/Bottas.

I've also read that Mercedes plans to decide 3rd January who will be their second driver. Who knows whether this is correct.

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1062
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/14/2017 7:28:25 PM   
warspite1

So what is taking so long at Mercedes?

Surely with the money they have, if they want Bottas then just pay Williams the required and get on with it....

I suspect there are those within the German company wanting a German....

Shame Mercedes can't run Manor as a kind of Red Bull/Torro Rosso deal, i.e. a junior Mercedes team they could stick their up and coming kids in.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1063
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/16/2017 4:22:16 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

If that's the case, then the 2nd car would have gone long ago to Wehrlein. Whatever, this option is now finally gone as Pascal Wehrlein joins Sauber. Claire Williams will make a statement this week about Bottas.

I suspect the long delay regarding Bottas has something to do with Paddy Lowe, who left Mercedes - maybe Williams wants him as part of a Bottas deal.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1064
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/16/2017 4:56:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

quote:

If that's the case, then the 2nd car would have gone long ago to Wehrlein. Whatever, this option is now finally gone as Pascal Wehrlein joins Sauber. Claire Williams will make a statement this week about Bottas.

I suspect the long delay regarding Bottas has something to do with Paddy Lowe, who left Mercedes - maybe Williams wants him as part of a Bottas deal.
warspite1

Well no, not necessarily as that would depend on who within the company was behind Bottas and who behind a.n.other, what the commercial and financial implications are, and - not least - where the balance of power lies.

One only has to think of the Button / Vandoorne discussions last year at McLaren to know that there can be competing views within an organisation - and such a situation can cause lengthy delays for decisions to be made and announced.

I suggested that as a possible reason for the delay in announcing Bottas - you have suggested another, perfectly possible potential reason.

Whatever the actual reason, the decision has been made.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1065
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/16/2017 5:13:50 PM   
Hotschi

I think Wehrlein had no chance at all to get the 2nd car this time. This weekend I've read that Wolf vehemently opposed taking Wehrlein, as he feared a situation like back then at McLaren with Alonso/Hamilton, where the then rookie Hamilton absolutely unnerved the routineer Alonso. He called Hamilton/Wehrlein a "poisonous mix".

As if Wehrlein is anywhere near these 2 drivers!

I don't understand the small hype about Wehrlein anyway. True, he has won the DTM championship, but in F1 he wasn't that outstanding so far. It's the same every year in the German Motorsport media, whenever there is some remote chance to get a place in one of the top teams, they instantly hype either Wehrlein or Huelkenberg - or both.

Must be local patriotism or something.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1066
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/16/2017 5:43:03 PM   
Hotschi

According to a local newspaper, it's official;

This Monday, Bottas received Williams' OK to join Mercedes.

Parts of the deal;

.) Williams will get it's Mercedes engine at a far lower price.
.) Paddy Lowe will join Williams as Technical Director - no longer "garden leave" as usual.

Felipe Masse postpones his retirement from F1 to race again at Williams, but he signed for 2017 only.

http://derstandard.at/2000050822895/Wehrlein-zu-Sauber-Wechsel-von-Bottas-zu-Mercedes-scheint-fix .... it's in German.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1067
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/16/2017 10:23:37 PM   
Gilmer

As the title says, "New Grand Priz season is almost upon us!" Starts in March, right?

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1068
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/17/2017 12:16:25 PM   
Poopyhead

Well it's too bad for Mercedes that Susie Wolff had retired.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1069
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/23/2017 8:24:57 PM   
Hotschi

And the next bombshell:

Today, Bernie Ecclestone was relieved from his position as boss of FOM (Formula One Group)!

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 1070
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/24/2017 5:38:24 AM   
warspite1

What do they say? Be careful what you wish for....

Personally I think that Bernie has done an incredible job. But everyone has their sell by dates, and Bernie has his too.

F1 needs its historic European races - take Monza or the British Grand Prix away and it will just not be the same. France, Germany, Belgium and Monaco similarly should be sacrosanct. Yet, every year the same old boring stories about most of these races being taken away appear (and in the case of France and Germany of course, its gone beyond that).

Every year too we get reports of teams in financial trouble - not just the Manor's or Caterham's of this world, but mid-table teams knocking on the door like Lotus (thankfully bought out by Renault) and Force India. Sauber is perpetually on the brink too. F1 needs these teams - it needs a decent size grid and a place for drivers to learn their trade.

The new owners have made high level comments recognising both these points - lets hope they mean them and are prepared to follow through.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1071
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/24/2017 5:26:43 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Chase Carry is going to be excellent for F1. This is the way to do it:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-interview-formula-owners-plan-us-street-race-45007472

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1072
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 1/25/2017 2:28:02 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Chase Carry is going to be excellent for F1. This is the way to do it:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-interview-formula-owners-plan-us-street-race-45007472

A race in New York would be nuts, but it would be a helluva draw.

How about the ATL? I'm sure there are plenty of routes that could accommodate an awesome F1 race.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 1073
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 2/23/2017 5:31:35 AM   
warspite1

The new cars for 2017 are starting to be unveiled - and they look okay in the main - although hopefully the cars will remove that nonsense on the engine cowling.....

.....and Lewis has a new helmet! Nice

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/23/2017 5:42:51 AM >

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1074
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 3/1/2017 4:13:02 PM   
Lecivius

Looks like Mercedes is still ahead of the pack.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/39047917

Nice to see HAAS coming up. But I can't understand how Mercedes continues to stay so dominant

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1075
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 3/1/2017 5:32:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Looks like Mercedes is still ahead of the pack.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/39047917

Nice to see HAAS coming up. But I can't understand how Mercedes continues to stay so dominant
warspite1

Ferrari seem to be very close (assuming you can take what is going on as gospel of course).

I think its another example of German engineering excellence. So that's the engine. As for the car design, its strange, I couldn't even tell you who their lead designer is..... Maybe its by committee. Whoever it is - they know what they are doing, even if Newey is still the very best.

Hopefully get more of a lowdown on testing from Autosport later.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1076
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 3/7/2017 5:54:16 PM   
warspite1

Interesting. Has the three-pointed star finally met its match?

Given that Mercedes are not known for sand-bagging (look at the last few years pre-season) it could well be they have a challenge - or even more - on their hands!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1077
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 3/7/2017 6:12:14 PM   
Lecivius

What news? I have not seen anything

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1078
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 3/7/2017 6:21:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

What news? I have not seen anything
warspite1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39199829

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1079
RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! - 3/7/2017 8:07:07 PM   
Lecivius

thx

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New Grand Prix Season Is Almost Upon Us!!! Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI