Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/7/2012 11:44:50 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Implied in these posts is the reality that decreasing the Allied VP denominator is as important as increasing the Japanese numerator. Taking key bases that are worth high point values to the Allies (eg Singapore) depresses the Allied total and makes it easier for Japan to achieve 4:1. Taking a base worth 1000 and dropping the Allied point total from 10K to 9K, for example, drops Japanese victory requirements from 40K to 36K.

Well stated Cribtop . at least that is what I was alluding to in my post and this is exactly the problem of positive bases like Luganville and also looking for Allied bastions that can be built up because as you have made clear not only decreasing that bottom number but as the Moose points out the Allies can find a base and build it up and as that bottom number increases the IJ have to find 4X the points somewhere .... I don't owe you a retainer fee do I?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1201
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/8/2012 2:07:11 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Implied in these posts is the reality that decreasing the Allied VP denominator is as important as increasing the Japanese numerator. Taking key bases that are worth high point values to the Allies (eg Singapore) depresses the Allied total and makes it easier for Japan to achieve 4:1. Taking a base worth 1000 and dropping the Allied point total from 10K to 9K, for example, drops Japanese victory requirements from 40K to 36K.

Well stated Cribtop . at least that is what I was alluding to in my post and this is exactly the problem of positive bases like Luganville and also looking for Allied bastions that can be built up because as you have made clear not only decreasing that bottom number but as the Moose points out the Allies can find a base and build it up and as that bottom number increases the IJ have to find 4X the points somewhere .... I don't owe you a retainer fee do I?

I'll get myself in trouble talking on this, so I should shut up. But on my way out of this topic I'll say:

1. Listen to Alfred, Cribtop, Crackaces, and the other math whizes in this topic. Never listen to me when math is involved. If I have any value around here it's tossing the ball up at mid-court and getting to the sidelines.

2. Those who continually said "Why NorPac?" or "NorPac interferes with mandatory Japanese second-phase objectives" need to re-read Chapter 17.

3. There are lots of ways to skin the auto-vic cat. Re-reading Chapter 17 myself I was re-surprised to see the VP rules on plane type ratios and losses to same. Thinking about 4E operations loss code, and other such things, made me think more deeply about how a Japanese player could entice behavior favorable to him VP-wise by using that portion of the rules.

4. The Allies get more engineers. They can build like beavers from Day 1. But they better hold onto built-up bases near the date roll-over. Handing over nice, built-up bases, with tasty multipliers, which were "defended" by a base force could be a rude VP surprise to the Allied player.

The Moose

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1202
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/8/2012 2:22:29 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

There are lots of ways to skin the auto-vic cat. Re-reading Chapter 17 myself I was re-surprised to see the VP rules on plane type ratios and losses to same. Thinking about 4E operations loss code, and other such things, made me think more deeply about how a Japanese player could entice behavior favorable to him VP-wise by using that portion of the rules.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Never thought of this aspect Moose ... These variations mean little in the "normal" game because we do not get that close to AV ..IJ roll on until '44 .. but .. if things were close I am just starting to imagine the possibilites .. I did not think of before you opened this particular aspect ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1203
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/8/2012 5:47:29 AM   
Cribtop

+1 - that is a fascinating thought!

And no Crackaces, no retainer needed. Your compliment is meaningful, however, as I pride myself on being one of the few lawyers on Earth who can do math (guess that's how I became a researcher )

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1204
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/8/2012 2:47:39 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy
squads or devices, if you lose 4000 devices (aka any other thing as squads) you have done something seriously wrong when being on the offense. You are not awarded points for disablements, so actually having 4000 (or any other number in the thousands) would be quite ludicrous for me when attacking a target. This would look like the AI has taken over control. Talking about a normal sized, usual battle in the game, not hundreds of thousands of Allied troops landing on Japan in 45 facing halve a million dug in Japanese.

Look at the bases actually worth 1000 Japanese VPs. Tell me you could take them without losing 4000 devices. (Canberra, Calcutta, Spokane, Perth, Sacramento?)

yes, all of them, depending on the order. Of course if you go with a head through the wall tactic and attack the strongest target first, you may well end up losing 20000 devices but then it's time to play the AI. Like I have mentioned before, I don't know where the panic is coming from, if someone thinks that the Japanese are so uber then he should actually look at what the Japanese have. They can be strong if they focus in one area but they can't be strong everywhere and by mid 42 the Allied already got more strong ground units to use than the Japanese, my current PBEM is only in 10/42 and I got roughly 10,000 av that are non restricted which can be used pretty much everywhere.

Again, if you win battles and lose victory points having done so (in your above example it would mean you would have taken the base, lost 4000 devices and the enemy would have lost how many? None at all?), then you should start at the very beginning and rethink what you have done. Since this vp discussion has started I have been looking carefully at lots and lots of combat reports (not just mine) and I couldn't even find a single example where I would have been sure that the successive side lost the vp ratio while winning the battle. Not one. So even if you can dig up an example from any AAR, each example would probably be having hundreds of examples that show the opposite. I can only repeat myselve, it may be possible, but it is pretty much a theoretical approach. Losing thousands of devices/squads (again: losing is destroyed, not disabled) means the attacker has done more than one crazy thing in the average 42/43 battle.

Edit: a US Inf div got roughly 1100 squads/devices in total so saying one has lost 4000 squads/devices fighting for one base when he has WON the battle in the end means like he has burnt nearly the equivalent of four full US Inf divisions DESTROYED - on the offense. Sorry, no.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/8/2012 2:55:08 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1205
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/8/2012 7:45:42 PM   
Canoerebel

5/14/42 and 5/15/42

Just back in after a day off. I see there've been alot of posts, but I won't be able to read them until later today. Thanks for contributing, gents.

NoPac: DD Sims ran into carrier-based Vals after raiding Dutch Harbor. The destroyer goes down, but I'm glad to know where some enemy carriers are and I'm glad Steve knows I've been sniffing around NoPac.

CenPac: Some enemy merchant raiders have appeared near Palmyra and Christmas, with one enemy AMC getting hammered while the other sank two xAKL. The problem is that my Tarawa invasion TFs are not too far to the NE, meaning that Steve may stumble into some helpful (to him) intel if things go his way.

Oz: Two enemy BBs bombard Perth. In another few days, the Allies will buy a NZ brigade for posting at Luganville.

Sumatra: Three enemy divisions late at Singapore arrive and take Sabang. The most signficant aspect of this is knowing they went here, so that there's no imminent threat elsewhere. Also, intel of another divisions en route to Calutta. These suggest (but don't prove) that Steve isn't taking a bolder step to hit Socatra or west coast India.

India: A large Allied army is heading from Ranchi to Jamdespur.

China: The Japanese take the rough hex between Sian and Kiangshan (the same hex Q-Ball has been highlighting). The Chinese lost a heckuva lot of squads during the retreat. I think my troops are in position to effectively establish the new MLR in the rough-woods north (true) of Chungking.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/8/2012 7:46:54 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1206
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/8/2012 8:54:06 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Edit: a US Inf div got roughly 1100 squads/devices in total so saying one has lost 4000 squads/devices fighting for one base when he has WON the battle in the end means like he has burnt nearly the equivalent of four full US Inf divisions DESTROYED - on the offense. Sorry, no.

I did not take the Moose's post that lliterally and it made me think of equivalent. Let us say I land on a strongly held position and I loose a CA, 2 CL's a few DD's .. how many devices is that worth? So there is some combination of devices, naval, platforms, aircraft that are expended on both sides to defend/ attack a position.

The nuances are meaningless in the "normal" course of things. If AV or SCLS does not happen .. then the Allies have enough stuff in 44 that even when cornered into the exterme edges of the map like Greyjoy .. major operations to have a come back and win are very likely ... But if one is seeking Auto-victory then I believe the Moose was stating [at least I inturpretted] that this whole package must be considered because the IJ must not only take bases and keep the allies building certain proftiable bases but must be fully aware of the total costs of operations from early 42 to the turn expected AV in January 43. So the Allies need to be very aware in their offensive operations as they might donate to the top number of the fraction in offense [devices, naval platforms, and airplanes] while not gaining enough of the bottom number ... 4X gives a steep curve for the II for sure but ...

BTW) Stacking limitations might make destroying 4 full US divisions on the offense might be unlikely, but a little look at my late great AAR and I destoyed 4 full IJ divisions [5th, 55th, 19th 33rd and Imperial Guards Division along with the supporting cast] in Burma in a counterattack by surrounding them and pinning the LYB's and eventually killing these divisions between Rangoon and the edge of the world. Making the total grab for the Allies a decisive victory. I had close to 3-1 points and an Allied AV by 1944. So in your example the IJ "won" in taking the Irrawaddy valley early in 42 at value 'X'. They never lost 4000 devices in any one victory. But the total costs when it was over in late '42 was far more than 4000 devices .. enough if we continued that an Allied victory in 1944 was more than likely ...so the relavancy of the argument I think is not looking at one combat report but the entire picture over a specfic time period ..in particular one has to assess costs at strategic points in time .. 4:1 3:1 2:1 .

PJ is balancing this act right now IMHO ..

Just my .02 ....

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1207
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/9/2012 1:21:14 AM   
Canoerebel

Okay, I read through all the posts and re-read Chapter 17 on auto victory and victory in general. I didn't catch anything new, if you don't mind me saying that.

While it's important to keep auto victory in mind, it's way too early for me to get locked into any particular pattern. For instance, while I am aware of the point value of Noumea, Fiji and Samoa, and therefore might feel a heightened urge to garrison, I am equally aware that Ceylon, India, Oz, and other points offer equal or even greater payoffs for Japan. Right now, I have to pick my targets and, to some extent, hope Steve isn't a prodigy in figuring out where I aint right now.

As for troops and planes, I won't play with a particular concern over ratios right now. I intend to fight where it makes sense to fight without allowing device points to control my decisions. I'll keep that in the back of my mind, but it's a relatively low factor at this point in the game.

Right now, the Allies need to focus on effectively parying Steve in places where we're fighting or could soon be fighting (China and India in particular) while looking for opportunities to make some points against vulnerable IJ bases plus IJ ships and aircraft.

If I parry and thrust effectively, I should have plenty of time to then attend to places like Noumea and Fiji later in the summer or in the autumn.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1208
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/10/2012 2:40:06 PM   
Canoerebel

5/16/42

North America: Big IJ fighter sweep over Vancouver, with Japan prevailing on the day.

Pacific: I'm rerouting the Tarawa invasion group to try to avoid tangling with enemy merchant raiders or other pickets. The best vector of approach is from the southeast, since I've had small combat TFs posted there since the dawn of the war. Everything looks fine at the moment.

New Caledonia: The Allies buy a NZ brigade at Auckland for transport to Noumea. If it makes it safely, that will boost that base's AV to about 230. All I'm doing right now is building forts there.

Enemy Capital Ships: A sub near Soerabaja tangles ineffectively with BB Kongo and four CAs. Matching this with the recent two-BB raid on Perth and the recent sub strike vs. capital ships in the Andaman Sea gives me a pretty good feel for Japanese sea power.

India: The army at Ranchi is beginning to move forward the two or three hexes to Jamesdspur. I don't think Steve is aware of this move yet. Ranchi airfield is nearly level four, with Patna nearly at level three.

China: The Chinese MLR continues to slowly restrict, though the main strongpoints in the forests north of Chungking and at Chengte, Changsha, Hengyang, and Kweilin are still intact.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1209
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/10/2012 7:20:09 PM   
Canoerebel

5/17/42

NoPac: Big IJA air raid at Oak Harbor, Washington, which the USAAF handles well. The Allies can use more fighters in this theater (and everywhere else), but thus far Japan doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly productive here.

Pacific: The Tarawa invasion forcs are in the vicinity of Palmyra/Christmas now, with the biggest group of amphibious TFs the furthest east. There seems to be a fair bit of contact and attention from Townsville to Ndeni right now, which I think and hope indicates that Steve is focused elsewhere than Tarawa. I think so.

Oz: Huge air raids vs. Townsville destroy a bunch of Wirraways on the ground, but the Aussie and American fighter pilots did pretty well. An IJN combat TF is coming this direction from New Guinea. Could be a feeler, a bombardment TF, or the vanguard of an invasion force.

India: The Allied army is moving closer to Jamedspur. Steve should be reacting about now if he's paying attention.

China: Status quo at the moment, which is just fine. The Allies need a little time and space to reconfigure the MLR north of Chungking, but at the moment this seems to be going well.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/10/2012 7:21:03 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1210
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/13/2012 8:22:55 AM   
moalkha

Canoerebel, is this game on hold?

It would be very sad to have it stopped, as it is a really entertaining read.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1211
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/13/2012 4:40:38 PM   
Canoerebel

5/18/42

The game is limping along. Steve sends a turn sporadically, including one this morning. Unless he has a change of heart, I don't think it's going to make it much further. On a related note (because it will disrupt play for a few days), my boys and I return to the Appalachian Trail this weekend. We're doing the Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap stretch of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This will be our seventh section hike in six years. We've thus far covered 215 miles of trail, which is 10% of the total.

NoPac: Quiet.

CenPac: Uh oh, some kind of patrol got a 6/6 sighting on one of my big Tarawa-bound amphibious TFs well to the east of Christmas Island. There's a good chance, I think, that Steve will surmise that this TF is likely bound for SoPac or SWPac, but we're getting enough contact now that he may have alarm bells going off. My two CVs are well to the west (now SW of Christmas Island). I also have several small combat TFs between Tarawa and the Allied islands to the south, so I'm hoping I would catch wind of any enemy carrier response before my carriers blundered into a wasp nest.

Oz: Enemy CA TF bombards Townsville.

India: The Allied army is roughly three days away from Jamedspur. Thus far no enemy attention.

China: The Chinese army seems to be making good progress in the realignment phase leading to the new and smaller MLR.

(in reply to moalkha)
Post #: 1212
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/14/2012 8:44:15 PM   
CaptDave

Hope you do better on the Appalachian Trail than the poor guy out here who broke his ankle 6 miles short of finishing the entire Pacific Crest Trail!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1213
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/14/2012 8:46:56 PM   
CaptDave

Also, it's not an opsec breach to say Steve posted they had a death in the family and, being a lawyer, he's handling all the paperwork associated with it. Family first. He'll be back on a more regular basis when things settle down.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 1214
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/15/2012 10:37:03 AM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

5/18/42

The game is limping along. Steve sends a turn sporadically, including one this morning. Unless he has a change of heart, I don't think it's going to make it much further. On a related note (because it will disrupt play for a few days), my boys and I return to the Appalachian Trail this weekend. We're doing the Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap stretch of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This will be our seventh section hike in six years. We've thus far covered 215 miles of trail, which is 10% of the total.

A great shame. I hope the game picks up again for you Canoerebel, as I've enjoyed this AAR immensely.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1215
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/15/2012 4:11:35 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

Also, it's not an opsec breach to say Steve posted they had a death in the family and, being a lawyer, he's handling all the paperwork associated with it. Family first. He'll be back on a more regular basis when things settle down.

Been there and done the Executor thing - without the lawyer training. A huge time commitment at an emotional time. Never had a problem with government bureaucracy until then ...
Hope Steve can keep his spirits up and return to the game - he has created a unique situation that many want to see play out.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 1216
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/15/2012 4:37:09 PM   
zuluhour

Quick note to say I was following PH AAR but it was to slow for me to enjoy. I see the game is grinding down now, sorry for that. I will not post any game comments for obvious reasons but I was looking forward to a game against Dan as I followed the game with Chez from him. I will say that I started my game with Terry on 08/13/2011 and we are well into March '44 and expect it will wind up in early spring 2013. Dan you are certainly able to play at that pace also and hope should you start another you get the opportunity to do so. What a ride! I'm not sure how you maintain continuity over your forces with such delays. I have a hard time when we are interupted for 24hours. Just to easy to forget to much.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1217
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/18/2012 7:49:01 PM   
Canoerebel

5/19/42

Just returned from three days on the Appalachian Trail. We met two young college students who told us they were "from west Australia." When I replied by mentioning Perth, Kalgoorlie, Exmouth and Port Headland, their jaws dropped. I didn't tell them that I frequently lose these bases to the enemy. :)

North America: Quiet.

Pacific: There is some kind of enemy TF east of Christmas Island and close to several of my Tarawa Group Invasion TFs. One of my TFs even reported an "enemy torpedo plane." I think this is a CS, but it might be a small carrier group. My carriers are not far SW of Christmas and will move closer to the island. Steve's picking up lots of contact info east of Christmas, but I have a host of TFs well to the west - not far south and southeast of Tarawa - and thus far they are all quietly unmolested. So it's still possible he might be focused on sea lane traffic from West Coast to points in the South Seas.

India: The Allied army arrives at Jamedspur tomorrow. I don't think Steve is paying attention here, but I could be wrong. Ranchi arifield just went to level four and Patna reaches three in a few days. The Allies will be able to contest the skies.

China: The Chinese repositioning of the MLR between Sian/Lanchow and Chungking continues to go well. I'm beginning to detect signs of an enemy concentration near Hengyang, which may be the next focus of battle. I probably have nearly 6,000 AV spread between Hengyang, Changhsa and Siangtan. That's a fair amount, but Steve can bring alot and concentrate on any one of those.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1218
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/18/2012 11:49:33 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

I didn't tell them that I frequently lose these bases to the enemy. :)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1219
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/19/2012 5:46:10 PM   
Canoerebel

5/20/42

My opponent continues to send turns slowly while remaining almost completely non-communicative. The slow I don't mind. The non-communicative I mind.

Pacific: The IJ fleet activity around Christmas Island seems to consist of two AMC operating in conjuncition with one or more Glen-equipped subs. A USN carrier SBD on patrol reported bombing one of the AMCs. Steve might think the plane came from Christmas, but there's so much activity going on each turn that his spidey sense have to be tingling now. I'm still in the midst of the turn, but I'm thinking about going ahead and send my carriers - which are just six hexes south - on an intercept course to try to finish off the raiders. My Tarawa invasion fleet is still about 46 hexes east of the beach, but I have a number of TFs well to the west, so the odds of blundering into an ambush are pretty small. So, do I intercept the raiders or not? Hmmm.

Indian Ocean: Salmon reports Kongo, some heavy crusiers, and some carriers near Sabang. This looks like a raid towards Diego or Ceylon. More importantly it tells me that the KB probably isn't in the Pacific - at least not all of it. Cursor indicates five CV and at least 130 fighters and bombers. That's great intel!

India: It looks like the Allies are going to mess up the enemy outpost at Jamespur. The Allies have 1700 AV in the hex. The Japanese have a small unit plus one third of a division. I think Japan is about to have a setback in India. Lots of SigInt in recent days of enemy divisions on Marus bound for Calcutta and Rangoon. I think we'll have a lengthy campaign in NE India plus Steve trying to push further into China from the south.

China: Things still look good along the consolidated MLR.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1220
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/19/2012 9:13:48 PM   
paullus99

If you think it will take him some time to react - since his carriers don't seem to be anywhere close, I would go ahead & do it. At least this way, he won't know exactly what's coming & may suspect that your repositioning your carriers to cover Australia.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1221
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/20/2012 12:41:30 AM   
Canoerebel

Some pretty important things are about to happen:

1. Tomorrow, Steve will discover I have 9th Oz Division and 18th UK Division in India. He will surmise that Oz is under protected. I think, however, that I guessed right - that India and China is his focus rather than Oz. I think it's too late now for him to efficiently shift.

2. He's probably going to find out I have carriers in CenPac. I think the KB is in the Indian Ocean. He's been developing contact in CenPac for weeks now, so he may have called on his NoPac carriers. A clash could develop here. I'm not anxious for battle since I only have York and Sara, but I'll feel my way carefully.

3. If I get cold feet about Tarawa, those troops will probably instead go to places like Luganville, Noumea, Tabituea, and/or possibly Abemama and Fiji. But right now I'm hoping I can still strike Tarawa.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1222
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/23/2012 12:59:43 AM   
Canoerebel

5/21/42

Pretty good day for the Allies:

Pacific: A stout mini-KB (or even roughly half a KB) shows up north of Midway and sinks a TK and a PC. At the same time, Sara and York SBDs sink an AMC near Jarvis Island (that's 27 points = 108 points for auto vic purposes, so it's nothing to sneeze at). So Steve knows where I am. I know where he is.

Tarawa: With those enemy carriers not too far to the north, and with Steve forwarned that I have some power in the Pacific, I will of course cancel the Tarawa invasion, which I had been learning towards anyhow due to the amount of contact over the past week. Instead, my troops will go to the key islands in SoPac. The biggest decision is 32nd Div., which is likely to go to Noumea or possibly even Oz.

India: The Allied army takes Jamdespur and roughs up part of 48th Div. in the process. The Allied army will try to pursue 18th Div., which is one hex to the north. I bet this situation gets Steve's full attention.

China: New MLR looks good, especially north of Chungking. Probably too good. I feel sure Steve is shifting to the south. Sooner or later, a big army is going to press forward towards Chengte or Hengyang, is my guess.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1223
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/24/2012 11:01:19 PM   
Canoerebel

5/22/42 and 5/23/42

Another good spell for the Allies:

North America: Quiet, 'cept an SSX put a sub in a TK at Los Angeles.

Pacific: Stout kB division A is making it's way southeast, passing between Midway and French Frigate. My TFs are far enough to the southeast that danger is almost nonexistent. My troops are bound for several ports, including Luganville, Noumea, and Fiji. Vindicators score three thousand-pound hits on AMC Kongo, which had been previuosly damged in a surface engagement.

Oz: Quiet at the moment. Supply levels look good.

Bay of Bengal: Stout KB divisions B is in the western Bay of Bengal. Possibly, Steve will land at Viz or vicinity. The Allies are pushing to catch up to 18th Div. at Asanol, hoping to work out a 1700 to 500 AV advantage.

China: The Chinese beat up on three weak, isoalted IJA units, destroying 100 squads in the process. I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to shake loose part of my northern MLR to reinforce the center and south. It's a long march between these outposts, so it's tough going.

Battle of Attrition: It is important for the Allies to engage in a positive attrition campaign - attrition is part of the game and unevoidable, so long-term the Allies need to make sure it's under favorable terms so that it helps avoid auto vic. In the past three days, the Allies have scored roughly 60 points in ships sunk (two AMC and a DD), roughly 15 for planes downed, and a net 15 for bases captured. This at a cost of perhaps 10 aircraft and one xAK). On the key 4x auto vic scales, that's a net difference of about 300 points. Of course, not every day will be like thise three, but we'll take 'em when we get 'em.

Now that we're nearing the end of May, here's how the points potential breaks down:

1) Base points: the Japanese juggernaut has slowed considerably. Steve can still pick up some points here and there - mainly in Oz and SoPac - but the Allies are getting in position to push back. India, for inrstance, is no longer ripe for the picking.

2) Aircraft: Japan has less than a 2:1 advantage here, and I think this will continue. The Allies are starting to draw better fighters and many pilots have good experience now. Too, I think the Allies are in good position in the two theaters that might be hottest - India and North America. I don't think the air war is going to prove fruitful for Steve.

3) Army: Steve has a better than 10x advantage here. All the key western bases with big garrisons have fallen. Steve can still pick up some points in China, but overall this ratio should slowly, gradually improve in favor of the Allies.

4) Ships: Steve is hurting here. He's sunk 1900 points but lost at least 1200. That's not a strong ratio and it's been decidely narrowing in the past month or so. Steve is a bit aggressive with his carriers and combat ships, so there is potential to score more points, though a blunder can be likewise costly.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1224
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/25/2012 1:25:34 AM   
princep01

I can tell you are more optimistic,,,,,you're not talking about Socrata in every other post.  Excellent!  Sink his ships, break his planes and burn his tanks and soldiers.  There is no substitute for VICTORY! (end pep talk of the week)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1225
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/25/2012 1:45:46 PM   
Canoerebel

Holding Socatra in late May '42 and knowing the defenses are stout makes life much more pleasant in India. If I had to worry about my back door, I wouldn't have taken the offensive around Jamdespur. India is in really, really good shape now. That's saying something for a game that's this early.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1226
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/25/2012 8:42:55 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Hmm . . . the only way I can think of for an SSX to carry a "sub" makes the thread unsuitable for children!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1227
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/25/2012 8:48:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Hmm . . . the only way I can think of for an SSX to carry a "sub" makes the thread unsuitable for children!

Really! I just assumed it ran out of torpedoes and substituted one of their lunch sandwiches [bought at the peir, since sandwiches were unknown in Japanese culture].

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1228
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/25/2012 9:09:22 PM   
DOCUP

GJ is rubbing off on CR.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1229
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 9/26/2012 8:30:05 AM   
GreyJoy

CR vs PzH -> May 23 1942 (started April 9 2012)
GJ vs QBall -> May 28 1942 (started July 11 2012)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 1230
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI