Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Create Barge -> any use?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Create Barge -> any use? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/23/2013 5:17:23 PM   
bigred

I linked into this thread but am still looking at what is the trigger to allow landing craft creation by a Transport tf.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2481133&mpage=1&key=create%2Cbarges%EF%BF%BD

< Message edited by bigred -- 3/23/2013 5:28:53 PM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 31
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/23/2013 5:27:29 PM   
rockmedic109

Just like PT boats. They have to be in the pool. You can find out if you any in the same place as for PT boats.

Ignore me. I didn't realize he answered it on the next page. Excuse me while I put on my dunce cap.

< Message edited by rockmedic109 -- 3/23/2013 5:30:18 PM >

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 32
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/23/2013 6:28:40 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

You have to have supply, the TF you showed on the previous page has no supply, just fuel.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 33
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/23/2013 6:45:33 PM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

You have to have supply, the TF you showed on the previous page has no supply, just fuel.

agreed, I used that tf as a quick screenie to show the the activation click location.

So all I need is:
1-supply in an american tranport TF.
2-Landing craft available in the pool.
3-unloading location on an american or austrailian base.

Is it true that LC help off loading transports?

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 34
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/23/2013 8:57:41 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

agreed, I used that tf as a quick screenie to show the the activation click location.

So all I need is:
1-supply in an american tranport TF.
2-Landing craft available in the pool.
3-unloading location on an american or austrailian base.

Is it true that LC help off loading transports?

The developers say 'yes', beaching type craft or ships (LCI, LST, etc.), and those with their own complement of landing craft (simulated by the game but not shown explicitly, such as APA, AKA, AP, AK, LSD, etc. have) do assist other ships in the same TF once they have finished their own unloading.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 35
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/24/2013 6:33:18 PM   
AirGriff

Isn't it a little gamey to send any kind of ship out knowing it will run out of fuel long before it reaches its destination? I don't think they (commanders on either or any side) would have done that as a routine tactic. No doubt there are extreme examples in forlorn hopes and the like, but I doubt it was done as a "normal" SOP. Having flung the proverbial grenade, I will calmly leave the room and close the door

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 36
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/24/2013 7:05:59 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: AirGriff

Isn't it a little gamey to send any kind of ship out knowing it will run out of fuel long before it reaches its destination? I don't think they (commanders on either or any side) would have done that as a routine tactic. No doubt there are extreme examples in forlorn hopes and the like, but I doubt it was done as a "normal" SOP. Having flung the proverbial grenade, I will calmly leave the room and close the door

That's why you add xAK or something so they can refuel from it....depicts very well how they were transported anyway.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to AirGriff)
Post #: 37
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/25/2013 7:48:50 PM   
towers58

The developers say 'yes', beaching type craft or ships (LCI, LST, etc.), and those with their own complement of landing craft (simulated by the game but not shown explicitly, such as APA, AKA, AP, AK, LSD, etc. have) do assist other ships in the same TF once they have finished their own unloading.

So LCT and LCVP will help unload other ships.

< Message edited by towers58 -- 3/25/2013 7:49:36 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 38
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/25/2013 9:14:31 PM   
CV 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

That's why you add xAK or something so they can refuel from it....depicts very well how they were transported anyway.

Kinda defeats the point of using barges in the first place.

Barges can only be attacked at 100' height. Add another ship in there, an AK or a PB and you turn it from a barge TF which cant be bombed into a transport TF that can be.

Personally IMHO, a true "barge" TF is kinda pointless and a waste of VPs. And if you have to add other type ships to get them there, then why even bother?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 39
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/25/2013 10:31:06 PM   
Don Bowen

Barges that carry fuel can refuel other barges (in the same TF) at sea. If you order a barge TF to load supplies and set the destination before loading takes place, and the barges do not have enough range to make it to that destination, 1/4th of the barges will load fuel instead of supply for refueling in route.

For a troop TF you must create a separate barge TF, load it with fuel, and merge it with the barge TF carrying troops.

Before you ask, the extra steps for a troop barge TF were intentional. If you keep troops at sea in barges long enough for the barges to run short of fuel the troops disruption will soar.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 40
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/26/2013 12:48:29 PM   
USSAmerica

Wow, great nugget, Don!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 41
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/26/2013 1:58:59 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Barges that carry fuel can refuel other barges (in the same TF) at sea. If you order a barge TF to load supplies and set the destination before loading takes place, and the barges do not have enough range to make it to that destination, 1/4th of the barges will load fuel instead of supply for refueling in route.

For a troop TF you must create a separate barge TF, load it with fuel, and merge it with the barge TF carrying troops.

Before you ask, the extra steps for a troop barge TF were intentional. If you keep troops at sea in barges long enough for the barges to run short of fuel the troops disruption will soar.

thanks for this info Don. Have noticed this long ago and wondered if this was working as designed or some flaw in the loading routine. As it didn't really affect me I haven't put more thought in it though.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 42
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/26/2013 2:01:42 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

Kinda defeats the point of using barges in the first place.

Barges can only be attacked at 100' height. Add another ship in there, an AK or a PB and you turn it from a barge TF which cant be bombed into a transport TF that can be.

Personally IMHO, a true "barge" TF is kinda pointless and a waste of VPs. And if you have to add other type ships to get them there, then why even bother?

don't know how it looks like for the Japanese but for the Allied, barge TF are great. Use them a lot with 23 LCT and 2 PT in each TF. Such a TF carries roughly 3500 tons out to 17 hexes. Perfect in areas like the SRA while being under enemy air threat.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 43
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/26/2013 10:43:23 PM   
jetjockey

I will use a chain of Dot bases to extend the range of my barges. For example, after Guadalcanal is cut off by air, but before it falls, I run supplies in by barge from Shortlands. My first barges run fuel to Munda (55 gallon drums or their equivalent). Once Munda has an adequate supply, I use it to refuel barge TFs enroute to the Russell Islands and repeat the process. From the Russell Islands, barge TFs can reach Lunga if need be. A lot of work, to be sure, but if you pre-stage fuel at these islands...

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 44
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/27/2013 2:19:09 PM   
CV 2

Im not saying they cant be used. Im not saying I dont know how to use them. Im saying it isnt worth it.

Barges have to be micro-managed. That is to say, you cant create a CS (or should I say you COULDNT, I dont know if thats still the case) with a barge TF and just have them ferry fuel/supply. When Im dealing with such insignificant amounts, it isnt something I want to have to take the time to check every day. Easier to just load up a TF of smaller AKs, put 400 CAP on, and have them zip in and unload in a night.

(in reply to jetjockey)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Create Barge -> any use? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI