Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2018 4:05:15 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

.....can I just point out that Braintree are currently sixth in the National League and in a playoff place.

warspite1

National League? Pffft - the National League South is where its at this year

Two local rivals and of course Devon's finest...

C'mon you Wings and Gulls

If there is any justice in this world, Dartford deserve to win the National League South this season. They were the outstanding team last season, failed to win the title by a 93rd minute goal in the last league game of the season, and then beaten in the Playoff Final by Braintree on penalties. Oh yes, I want the Football Gods to smile on Dartford this season if only to assuage my guilt for celebrating while Dartford hearts were breaking.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3511
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2018 4:20:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

.....can I just point out that Braintree are currently sixth in the National League and in a playoff place.

warspite1

If there is any justice in this world, Dartford deserve to win the National League South this season. They were the outstanding team last season, failed to win the title by a 93rd minute goal in the last league game of the season, and then beaten in the Playoff Final by Braintree on penalties. Oh yes, I want the Football Gods to smile on Dartford this season if only to assuage my guilt for celebrating while Dartford hearts were breaking.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Football can be so cruel.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3512
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2018 9:12:44 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Football can be so cruel.....

Old age is also cruel. Braintree beat Dartford 1-0 in the Playoff Semi-Final. It was Hampton & Richmond we defeated on penalties in the final. That does not change my good wishes to Dartford for this season because the reason I misremembered was that my overall feeling at the time was Dartford deserved this more than Braintree. Dartford, who lost out on automatic promotion on goal difference thanks to that 93rd minute goal, finished 17 points ahead of Braintree back in sixth place.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3513
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/14/2018 1:55:07 PM   
shunwick

So the World Cup's third and fourth place match.

Belgium v England.

Hugely important game for both teams since it will define their World Cup performances. Belgium lost their semi-final because they froze in the spotlight. They will be desperate to win the 3rd & 4th place match to prove that they are a team that could easily have qualified for the World Cup Final. England need to win the game to prove that their Semi-final appearance was not only due to luck of the easy-half of the draw and they have something about them that allows them play on equal terms to the best teams in the world.

It is quite unusual for a 3rd and 4th place match to have so much hanging on the performance and the result.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3514
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/14/2018 3:55:46 PM   
shunwick

Third and Fourth Place Match

Belgium 2 England 0. Belgium didn't do enough to look like genuine World Cup contenders. England, yes were lucky to get to the semi-final thanks to the easy path they had to get there. England managed to scare Belgium on a couple of occasions, Belgium always looked a threat every time they got the ball and scored two good goals to seal their victory. The future looks bright for Belgium but not so much for England.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3515
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/14/2018 5:02:42 PM   
loki100

quote:

Belgium 2 England 0. Belgium didn't do enough to look like genuine World Cup contenders. England, yes were lucky to get to the semi-final thanks to the easy path they had to get there. England managed to scare Belgium on a couple of occasions, Belgium always looked a threat every time they got the ball and scored two good goals to seal their victory. The future looks bright for Belgium but not so much for England.

Best wishes,
Steve

think you are being a wee bit (understandably) pessimistic. The core of that Belgian side is in their late 20s/early 30s, so will be good at the next Euro Championships but I'd suspect this is their last world cup (as a group). This seems to be very much the view being reported in the Flemish press.

Having said that, I think this England side are a lot like Spurs at the moment - almost there but not quite and its not immediately obvious what to do about the few gaps/shortfalls?

< Message edited by loki100 -- 7/14/2018 5:03:29 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3516
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/14/2018 5:27:03 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

think you are being a wee bit (understandably) pessimistic. The core of that Belgian side is in their late 20s/early 30s, so will be good at the next Euro Championships but I'd suspect this is their last world cup (as a group). This seems to be very much the view being reported in the Flemish press.

Having said that, I think this England side are a lot like Spurs at the moment - almost there but not quite and its not immediately obvious what to do about the few gaps/shortfalls?

It is the future that has me pessimistic. This England squad is very nearly all the English players that are available from the Premier League. Some of them can't even get regular games with the their clubs. We have a few talented youngsters coming through from under 17 and under 20s but it is unlikely that they will ever get game time in the top flight. The National Pool is ever diminishing.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/14/2018 5:28:09 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3517
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 7:32:40 AM   
rico21

Alea jacta est

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3518
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 4:57:29 PM   
shunwick

The World Cup Final

France 4 Croatia 2. It was a story of almost constant Croatian pressure but they were unable to create enough quality chances and goals against a hard working and tidy France. France may not have the most possession but were certainly able to make the most of the possession they had. Another hugely enjoyable game to watch, fitting since, overall, this has been one of the most entertaining World Cup tournaments I have watched. France will go home as World Champions, and Croatia can go home with their heads held high.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3519
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 5:02:35 PM   
UP844

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

Alea jacta est

Allez les Bleus!!!

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3520
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 5:38:43 PM   
rico21

Thanks.
See you in 2038.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3521
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 5:51:06 PM   
Orm

Congratulations, France.

Well deserved.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3522
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 6:01:13 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I do not know who will win the France-Argentina match and I really do not care, it will not change my life.
That being said, if France loses, it will be above all and above all the fault of the coach who will have built his team around Griezmann.
If France loses against Argentina, it will cause the resignation of the coach, who has committed to go to the quarterfinals and will be replaced by our national legend ...
Zinedine Zidane.

To me it looks like the French coach made the right call.

I would have preferred you to tell me before the match.
The Griezmann-Giroud tandem does not work.
Fortunately for him, Mbappe Kylian, 19 years old, new Maradona?
But distrust, the last time we tried to conquer Russia, it ended badly!

Well, I say it worked out well enough in the end.

Congratulations on a well played tournament.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3523
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 7:01:01 PM   
Chickenboy

NOW is it over?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3524
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 7:14:23 PM   
warspite1

Congratulations to France . When you look at who the French beat to win the tournament - and didn't need penalties - then I don't think anyone can claim they didn't deserve it .

Very mixed emotions over the final. I thought Croatia were very unlucky with the first two goals, but France probably had enough quality anyway. Although I wanted France, I then wanted Croatia to come back because of the bad calls they suffered. But....

So pleased for Hugo - being a Tottenham player he's probably forgotten what winning feels like . On the negative side it was worth seeing Croatia lose just so Lovren didn't win .

No doubt there will be some people claiming filthy tactics as the French appealed for VAR for the atrocious penalty decision, but it was a legitimate call for the players to query - just not a legitimate penalty for the referee to give.

Against all expectations Russia delivered a cracking World Cup, some great games, great goals, VAR controversy and an England team that somehow made it to the semis. Well done Russia and I'm pleased forthem that their national team out-did expectations too .

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/15/2018 7:15:43 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3525
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 8:10:08 PM   
STEF78

Well, we got a second star and I'm very happy.

I don't think that we had the best team even if we have a future superstar with Mbappé and several excellent players like Kanté and Varane.

Belgium, Croatia and Brasil had a better team from my point of view.

Bt we had from far the best coach. Didier Deschamps selected an equilibrated group, leaving annoying but talented players like Benzema and Rabiot at home. And above all, he is pure winner, never beaten and is sometimes lucky.

Next step, Euro 2020 with the final in Wembley. I dream of a France England final, with us winning, of course

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3526
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 9:20:35 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

NOW is it over?

Nope, we've just started the Euro club cup competitions

the Auld Alliance is much in evidence in Glasgow tonight .. but I did feel sorry for Croatia, they were very unlucky to go in at half time 1-2 but over the match France deserved to win. And I'd agree with Warspite1, France's route to the final means no-one can dispute their achievement

and this was just ridiculously cool by Mbappé:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by loki100 -- 7/15/2018 9:23:35 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3527
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2018 11:08:33 PM   
VPaulus

Congratz to France.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3528
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/16/2018 11:22:59 AM   
rico21

First, the victorious teams rest on their laurels and are demolished by teams that have learned of the defeat.
Second, we saw the same game but not necessarily the same thing.
I saw Kanté dominated by Modric in midfield in the first half, which paralyzed the blues until he came out in the second half.
Third, following the first half, General Deschamps gave his orders and the second half was victorious.
So I did not actually see a French team in the field but an army, the army of Deschamps.

I think we have become the team to shoot and so, joining Warspite1 or Vpaulus in the final in 2020 will be very difficult.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3529
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/13/2018 4:37:50 PM   
Zorch

Who’s The Favorite And Who’s A Sleeper In The English Premier League?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whos-the-favorite-and-whos-a-sleeper-in-the-english-premier-league/

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3530
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/14/2018 8:38:41 AM   
Piteas

I read that the country with the most number of players in the Premier (after England, of course) is... Spain (37 players).
Also there are so many english coachs in Premier as spanish ones (4).
The influence of the "tiki-taka" begins to be dangerous. Flee, Flee!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3531
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/16/2018 7:11:52 AM   
Piteas

European Super Cup, the first cup of the european season:

Atletico Madrid 4 - Real Madrid 2

The revenge of the eternal second team in the city.
Real...No Ronaldo, no party?

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 3532
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/1/2018 10:34:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

hear-my-third-season-a-comin' [we told you so eh hehe]

"Mourinho says he is one of the great managers – and quotes Hegel to prove it"

ROFL

Had he understood Hegel's thinking he would surely know the key concept is errr dialectics. An object, process is never static or definitive but always on the move, about to become something else [better or worse, it's irrelevant, herr Hegel could not care less about his CV]. Ad infinitum. If anything, we don't need Hegel to know that right now he sucks. And the anti football is not helping a iota.

If he was looking for some law written in stone (I'm the best ever type of thing etc etc), Hegel is definitely not his man Everybody except him

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 3533
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/5/2018 5:48:06 PM   
warspite1

The UEFA Nations League begins this week. It is an interesting idea by UEFA to try and make friendlies less meaningless. I hope it proves a good idea.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3534
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/8/2018 8:32:59 PM   
shunwick

Football shouldn't be allowed...

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3535
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/9/2018 4:04:17 AM   
warspite1

Agreed - bloody stupid game.....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3536
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/12/2018 6:32:41 AM   
warspite1

What is wrong with English football? There were many moments last night when anger, rage, frustration or resignation took hold, but it was perhaps one moment in the game more than any other that really left me in the depths of despair. England were on the attack down the left hand side. The Swiss defended the attack and the ball went back to Delph. The Man City midfielder was practically on the edge of the penalty box. There are England players in the box and he has support from Rose on the left. What does Delph do? Cross the ball into the box? Seek to maintain the attack in company with Rose by taking the ball down the left and creating an opening? Maybe cross the ball over to the right to switch play? Or, heaven forbid, try and carry the ball himself into the box - you know, actually try and take an opponent on? No. He does none of the above. When that close to the Swiss penalty box and with plenty of players forward and options available, his immediate instinct is to get rid of the ball like its a freakin’ hand grenade. Not only does he pass it back, but he passes it back so that it actualy ends up in our own half........ Quality.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3537
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/12/2018 9:24:54 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

What is wrong with English football?

Quality, perhaps. Players? Managers?... Or maybe players aren't playing as a team. I really don't know and it puzzles me.
I've watched the first half and couldn't make myself to watch the 2nd one.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3538
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/12/2018 9:28:52 AM   
zakblood

imo its over paid players, full stop

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3539
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/12/2018 7:13:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

imo its over paid players, full stop
warspite1

But for that to be an answer then Spanish, German, Brazilian, French etc players would have to be paid less. If, as is the case, English players are no more overpaid than their counterparts, why are said counterparts not just as rubbish?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3540
Page:   <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI