Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/11/2019 7:56:15 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Nothing as yet. But remember it didn't happen. April and football are cancelled.

That, I assumed, was some sort of April joke. Albeit late. And it flew straight past my miniscule brain.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3751
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/12/2019 7:45:33 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Nothing as yet. But remember it didn't happen. April and football are cancelled.

That, I assumed, was some sort of April joke. Albeit late. And it flew straight past my miniscule brain.

No, that can happen I belive. Depending on results for instance certain games have never occurred, as far as I am concerned.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3752
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/13/2019 4:48:22 PM   
loki100

Aprils pretty good so far

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3753
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/13/2019 5:39:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Aprils pretty good so far
warspite

Loki, Loki, Loki Don't do this. You are old enough to know better . weren't you around in 1978?? It's the hope that kills you, and you - a Spurs and Scotland supporter for goodness sake - have fallen victim to its evil. If I may remind you about 'April':

- We beat Man City 1-0 in the first leg at home - just like we did against Chelsea - what happened next?

- Arsenal or Chelsea are going to win the Europa League

- We still have to play Man City and West Ham in the league

- Have you seen Arsenal's run-in?

- Chelsea (and Arsenal) have hit form just at the wrong time and Manchester United will finish above us just because we are Spurs and they are Manchester United.

Hope for Spurs, Scotland and England, personifies the banality of evil. Against City I was totally relaxed - not concerned. After all we were going to lose and it was just a case of by how much.... and then we scored. We took the lead and... suddenly there was hope. Hope. I spent the remainder of the match kicking every ball, shouting at the TV, nerves on edge, palms sweaty, forehead pulsing. Why? Why? Because that goal gave us hope and, I don't know if I've mentioned it, but hope kills.

Forget April. It does't exist. It isn't happening

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3754
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/13/2019 6:14:31 PM   
Anachro

I'll be very happy if Man Utd manages top four somehow. Their current form doesn't give me much hope.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3755
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/13/2019 6:56:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I'll be very happy if Man Utd manages top four somehow. Their current form doesn't give me much hope.
warspite1

When you get luck like they had against West Ham just now, you know form doesn't matter one jot. Ridiculous.

I bloody hate football .

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3756
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 10:45:46 AM   
terje439

quote:

As long as they beat City I do not care where they place...

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3757
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 7:12:07 PM   
loki100

have to say this idea of football in April is a great thing:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3758
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 7:56:25 PM   
warspite1

Manchester City 3 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur

and we've lost Sissoko and our midfield can't tackle (until City get in shooting range then Wanyama brings them down) and the defenders can't defend and Son and Alli can't pass and there's a vicious rumour that Eriksen is on the pitch and... and.....and they have ageing, injury prone Kompany on the pitch and Moura has run behind him.....er .... that would be not once.

It's a good job this rubbish isn't happening. City can trash Spurs without even needing Fernandinho... embarrassing

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3759
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 8:54:28 PM   
loki100

I'm actually not sure I can cope with this game ...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3760
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 8:58:09 PM   
loki100

though maybe I can

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3761
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 8:58:52 PM   
Orm

Somehow, it feels like it is time for... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3nrZUJLrKM

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3762
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 9:46:07 PM   
Anachro

@Warspite That has to be the greatest game of football ever. I turned it off in disgust when Man City supposedly scored only to find out just now that VAR had disallowed it. What an emotional roller coaster!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3763
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 9:46:31 PM   
Crossroads

I see it is still April and we have folks discussing football here

What amazing too days these have been

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3764
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2019 10:37:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

@Warspite That has to be the greatest game of football ever. I turned it off in disgust when Man City supposedly scored only to find out just now that VAR had disallowed it. What an emotional roller coaster!
warspite1

I did the same. The goal went in (great play Eriksen - so he was on the pitch after all) and the TV went straight off. My daughter then shouted out that social media (whatever that is) was going beserk about the goal going to VAR so I rushed back to watch the last couple of heart stopping minutes.

We'll pay for it on Saturday and not qualify for the Champions League - so April is still not happening - but it was so good to actually win a game like that for a change - even though we were pretty rubbish. But as a Spurs fan, I'll take any small crumbs of comfort

It'll be tough against an impressive Ajax team that have beaten Real Madrid and Juve (and I mean actually beaten each as opposed to scraping through) - especially as there will be no Harry (both games) and no Son (first game). But we're in the semis so hope springs eternal... wait, what did I say about hope?

I hate stoopid football

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/18/2019 5:56:12 AM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3765
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 11:23:06 AM   
Piteas

Don't Worry, Spurs.

You have the Holy Elbow of Llorente

Good luck with the dutch boys.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3766
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 1:55:15 PM   
Crossroads

I thought the Hitler rant video was done for years ago, but this one actually got me chuckling a good few times. David Squires level dialogue, almost. Can't wait on his take on this come next Tuesday, come to think!

Explicit Language warning, of course.

Hitler finds out Manchester City are out of the Champions League

edit: fixed the link

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 4/18/2019 1:58:38 PM >

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 3767
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 2:03:56 PM   
Crossroads

"And Guardiola. What was he doing with Fernandinho on the bench? Who did he think was going to commit 20 fouls without getting booked?"

Fact Check: True

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3768
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 2:14:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads
Explicit Language warning, of course.

Hitler finds out Manchester City are out of the Champions League

edit: fixed the link

As usual people are really really fast (what you get via whatsapp when something happens is the proof). A Hitler's rant without assorted swearing is not a proper rant.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3769
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 2:21:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And by the way, it turns out the very first Hitler's rant parody involved the Premier League too. A parody I already posted on these boards a couple of times iirc. The first one.

EDITED: correction, no the one where Hitler's car is robbed has to be the first one. In fact, the first I ever saw, probably in 2007.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/18/2019 2:35:15 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3770
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 2:30:29 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

And by the way, it turns out the very first Hitler's rant parody involved the Premier League too. A parody I already posted on these boards a couple of times iirc. The first one.

Ah, the Tevez / West Ham shambles. Still can't belive they basically got off scot-free from that.

Post #: 3771
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 4:37:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

"And Guardiola. What was he doing with Fernandinho on the bench? Who did he think was going to commit 20 fouls without getting booked?"

Fact Check: True
warspite1

Thank-you. I know it was only Spurs, a team historically so Spursey that a grannies XI could beat them in a game that mattered, but that is not the point.

Guardiola not playing Fernandinho was a toxic mix of sheer mind-numbing arrogance and stupidity - especially with the ageing Kompany in defence (although ironically it was Laporte that suffered the mare).

You need to rest players as you are going for the quadruple? Sure, but every Champions League game is effectively a cup final - especially as they were losing 0-1 and without an away goal from the 1st Leg. He can rest whoever he likes against most teams in the premiership - but not a Q/F of the Champions League.

So still no Champions League aside from the Barcelona wins. Good. Next time perhaps he will show teams a little respect.

Yeah, Fernandinho should have been booked for his second challenge last night but....

All of the above never happened of course, but your comment and my response would have been valid if it had....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/18/2019 5:31:18 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3772
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 6:30:06 PM   
warspite1

I've just changed my mind on who I want to see sitting on the Iron Throne.

Pilou Asbaek is a Spurs fan - so COYEG!

What is dead may never die.... er... I think I prefer Audere est facere to be honest....

Nutter!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/18/2019 6:32:11 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3773
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/18/2019 7:37:07 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

So still no Champions League aside from the Barcelona wins. Good. Next time perhaps he will show teams a little respect.

Billion, two more on his squad, and he'll eventually make it...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3774
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/19/2019 11:10:03 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Billion, two more on his squad, and he'll eventually make it...

Luck is not a small factor in the CL. Yes, you need to be good to win it, that goes without saying, but there's not really a method. The stars align, enjoy your good luck.

The last Liverpool title is a good example. Or take Zidane's team three titles. If there was indeed some method, then how do you explain Real had to wait 32 years to win another one (1998)?

A league on the other hand, you have to be very regular. In fact, any national league could be called a Regularity League.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3775
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/19/2019 1:30:47 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

Luck is not a small factor in the CL. Yes, you need to be good to win it, that goes without saying, but there's not really a method. The stars align, enjoy your good luck.

The last Liverpool title is a good example. Or take Zidane's team three titles. If there was indeed some method, then how do you explain Real had to wait 32 years to win another one (1998)?

A league on the other hand, you have to be very regular. In fact, any national league could be called a Regularity League.

True. I made the comment in the context of Guardiola not respecting other teams as Warspite wrote, resting his players against Spurs. Granted, those on the bench would walk to almost any team's starting XI with ease, but still.

For cup competitions, like UCL, luck is of course a factor, less in the group stage, more so in the QF and SF stages, and most so in the final, as that is only one game. Spurs and Ajax going through to semis is a remarkable achievement in itself, and should be applauded as such.

On the other hand, I am not at all sorry that PSG and City are out, as is evident here. On the contrary, I am really looking toward next Tuesday's Squires cartoon, per how he previously concluded that PSG were out per "away lolz" rule. No truer words said

Post #: 3776
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/19/2019 2:22:48 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

I am not at all sorry that PSG and City are out, as is evident here.

Fair enough.

I too am very biased. I want the teams that play (or at least try) attacking, attractive football to do well. El Baldie is one of these football merchants so I wish him well in general. And looks like the four teams left play the sort of football that I do like (I am biased that is).

... as long as Liverpool bags the title(s) it's ok

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/19/2019 2:24:26 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3777
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/19/2019 3:07:28 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

quote:

I am not at all sorry that PSG and City are out, as is evident here.

Fair enough.

I too am very biased. I want the teams that play (or at least try) attacking, attractive football to do well. El Baldie is one of these football merchants so I wish him well in general. And looks like the four teams left play the sort of football that I do like (I am biased that is).

... as long as Liverpool bags the title(s) it's ok

I'm a Finn and my local team is VPS Vaasa, but as our league can - at best - be compared to English League One, the aspirations of any footballers would be to move abroad. The Netherlands is a popular location, and with Jari Litmanen coming of age together with that Ajax team, they forever have my support as well. Another local hero, Sami Hyypiä, spent his career at Liverpool, so that's my definitive English team, and a team I've actually supported since my hero Ray Clemence made such a mark there, while I was a kid hoping to become a top goalie (I didn't )

Ajax - Liverpool would be the dream final, so likely that means it will be Spurs - Barca instead.

But it is not just the destination, it is the journey getting there too! So I am going to enjoy the heck out of those too trying to make the final stretch!

Post #: 3778
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/20/2019 10:35:14 AM   
terje439

Not often I say this, but today I will be all COYS!

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3779
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/20/2019 10:46:36 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Not often I say this, but today I will be all COYS!
warspite1

Well that's a shame for Liverpool because we are going to struggle to put out a midfield today.... I hear no Lloris and both Dier and Foyth are playing.....

Let's hope we can keep the goals against to single figures

At least I can console myself with the fact that all this is not happening when we fall out of the Champions League places (by close of play Monday we are likely to be 6th). Stoooopid game.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3780
Page:   <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI