Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/9/2019 12:51:52 AM   
shunwick

Leyton Orient manager Justin Edinburgh has died at the age of 49 - five days after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Edinburgh, who guided Orient back into the English Football League in 2018-19, had been taken to hospital on Monday.

"We are completely heartbroken by this tragedy," Orient chairman Nigel Travis told the club's website.

Edinburgh, who won the FA Cup as a Spurs player, managed Northampton Town, Gillingham and Newport County before moving to Orient in November 2017.

"All our thoughts and love are with the Edinburgh family and we know from the messages that have flooded into the club over the last week that the wider football world will share our sentiments," added Travis.

"The success that Justin brought to Leyton Orient was incredible, but more importantly the impact he had on us all as a winner and a wonderful, inspirational human being will be his legacy and will stay with us forever.

All our thoughts are with Justin's wife Kerri and their children Charlie and Cydnie."

After turning professional at Southend, Edinburgh - a left-back - spent a decade playing for Tottenham, making 258 appearances and winning the FA Cup in 1991 and League Cup in 1999 before moving to Portsmouth.

He became player-manager of non-league Billericay Town in 2003 before spells at Fisher Athletic and Rushden and Diamonds.

His managerial breakthrough came at Newport County, whom he led to promotion to League Two in 2013 having guided them to the FA Trophy final a year earlier.

A 23-month spell at Gillingham from January 2015 followed, before nine months at Northampton in 2016-2017.

He was appointed Orient boss in November of 2017, and led the club to 45 wins in his 82 games in charge.

RIP Justin.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/9/2019 12:55:45 AM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 3901
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/9/2019 8:09:40 PM   
loki100

well the new rules on awarding penalties are going to have some serious consequences. Maybe the best solution is to surgically remove the hands of defenders?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/09/england-scotland-womens-world-cup-match-report

result was a perfectly fair reflection of the match but thats another warning as to how ridiculous this new interpretation is going to be

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3902
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/20/2019 6:56:35 PM   
Chickenboy

Team USA versus Sweden on in 5 minutes. Go team USA!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3903
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/20/2019 8:28:56 PM   
Chickenboy

Up 2-0 now. Go team USA!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3904
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/20/2019 10:50:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Well done women of team USA! On to a match against Spain next!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3905
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2019 5:21:12 PM   
Orm

Well done indeed, USA. You won against a team that apparently wanted to draw the game by boring the opposition to sleep, while saving their best players against Canada.

Anyway. I do not understand football any longer. I do not doubt that the second goal was correctly allowed by the referee, but then why bother at all with the offside rule?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3906
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2019 5:21:58 PM   
Orm

And now the tournament begins for Sweden. USA has one more round to go before it begins for real.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3907
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2019 5:23:15 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

well the new rules on awarding penalties are going to have some serious consequences. Maybe the best solution is to surgically remove the hands of defenders?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/09/england-scotland-womens-world-cup-match-report

result was a perfectly fair reflection of the match but thats another warning as to how ridiculous this new interpretation is going to be

The rule is indeed a sad, sad joke. At least when compared to other types of fouls that gets ignored.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3908
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/21/2019 11:01:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
Well done indeed, USA. You won against a team that apparently wanted to draw the game by boring the opposition to sleep, while saving their best players against Canada.

That's OK, Orm. If an opponent wants to sleepwalk through a match while 'looking ahead' to another in front of it, I'm OK with that easy win. "Losing momentum" in tournaments like this is usually something that teams cannot just turn on and turn off on a whim. Teams that don't prepare for all their opponents-particularly the good ones-generally lose track of their standing and lose out altogether. It's not good coaching to be 'too clever by half'.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3909
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/22/2019 8:33:18 AM   
Orm

If it is good coaching, or not, is up for debate. And I wasn't claiming that the players Sweden started with didn't want to win. I am sure they did. However, the coach 'rested' many of the starting players (half?). And matches were both teams advance tends to become slower by default. Who wants to risk injury, or getting banned from the next match, when the team will advance regardless of the result. I why expend all your energy when you know you will play a more important match in just a few days.

USA rested their players earlier in earlier group matches. Or perhaps they call it rotating the players?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3910
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2019 7:25:14 PM   
Orm

Football is a wonderful game, and the ball is round.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3911
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2019 7:29:42 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Football is a wonderful game, and the ball is round.

Technically, the ball isn't round, it's spheroid.

Also, how about that TEAM USA! A beatdown of Team England in early July by team USA? It's been done before.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3912
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2019 8:11:43 PM   
Orm

Well, the football is, technically, a sphere. But, by the very definition of a sphere, it is also round. Therefore I am technically right to say that a football is round.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3913
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2019 9:39:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Well, the football is, technically, a sphere. But, by the very definition of a sphere, it is also round. Therefore I am technically right to say that a football is round.

If you played the game with a hoop or a circle of two dimensions-then *that* is round. A 'ball', as you describe it is spheroid. It's only 'round' if you don't give it a third dimension. IMO, that would make a boring game-or at least one very different than 'football' is considered.

I'd just as soon not have Warspite1 ask me to play 'hoop' with him.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3914
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2019 9:49:50 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

If you played the game with a hoop or a circle of two dimensions-then *that* is round. A 'ball', as you describe it is spheroid. It's only 'round' if you don't give it a third dimension. IMO, that would make a boring game-or at least one very different than 'football' is considered.

Two dimensional sports are for flat earthers.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3915
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2019 10:43:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

So are you saying that a sphere isn't round? I thought that 'round' was in the very definition of a sphere. What is the sphere then? Rectangular?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3916
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 1:02:39 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

So are you saying that a sphere isn't round? I thought that 'round' was in the very definition of a sphere. What is the sphere then? Rectangular?

A sphere is no more 'round' than a cube is square, my fine Swedish friend. If one elects to omit the observation / measurement of a dimension (e.g., look at it from the side and omit any perception of depth) then it appears 'round' or 'circular'.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3917
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 3:57:31 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A sphere is no more 'round' than a cube is square, my fine Swedish friend. If one elects to omit the observation / measurement of a dimension (e.g., look at it from the side and omit any perception of depth) then it appears 'round' or 'circular'.

Some learned theories say our universe is just a projection of a higher dimensional multiverse. This is mainly because scientists are no good at Tetris.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3918
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 4:10:09 AM   
Zorch

Meanwhile, at London Stadium, a game of Rounders was played. The Yankees defeated the Red Sox 17-13. Outs were declared, but no extra points were allowed.
(That oughta confuse them Limeys)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3919
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 6:06:45 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Meanwhile, at London Stadium, a game of Rounders was played. The Yankees defeated the Red Sox 17-13. Outs were declared, but no extra points were allowed.

Say what? Words seem to have lost their meaning to me. I do understand most of the individual words but their meaning in this sentence is beyond me.

And Limey? Is that some kind of exotic fruit?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3920
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 6:16:20 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is sad, really, that doctors, while quite intelligent, doesn't grasp even the simplest concepts of mathematics, nor physics.

It is fortunate that you are not a biologist since their understanding of mathematics is even more limited.

A sphere is a perfectly round geometrical object in three-dimensional space that is the surface of a completely round ball.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3921
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 4:33:00 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

Say what? Words seem to have lost their meaning to me. I do understand most of the individual words but their meaning in this sentence is beyond me.

Yes, a Limey is like an exotic fruit, except that it's not a fruit and not exotic.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3922
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 5:25:27 PM   
Chickenboy

So, I spent some time reading up on my use of the terms 'round', 'ball', 'sphere' and 'circular'. I admit error in conflating the use of 'round' and 'circular'. It turns out that Orm's definition is correct. Namely, that "A sphere is a perfectly round geometrical object in three dimensional space that is the surface of a completely round ball." Mea culpa.

But further delving into mathematical / physical parlance has made me realize that the use of the term 'ball' in 'soccer ball' is incorrect or at least informal.

In mathematics, a ball is the space bounded by a sphere. It may be a closed ball (including the boundary points that constitute the sphere) or an open ball (excluding them).

These concepts are defined not only in three-dimensional Euclidean space but also for lower and higher dimensions, and for metric spaces in general. A ball or hyperball in n dimensions is called an n-ball and is bounded by an (n − 1)-sphere. Thus, for example, a ball in the Euclidean plane is the same thing as a disk, the area bounded by a circle. In Euclidean 3-space, a ball is taken to be the volume bounded by a 2-dimensional sphere. In a one-dimensional space, a ball is a line segment.

In other contexts, such as in Euclidean geometry and informal use, sphere is sometimes used to mean ball.

Furthermore, a soccer ball is not a completely round spheroid. Apparently, the particularly round soccer balls are problematic in the play of the game. See the controversy associated with the 2010 Adidas Jabulani ball:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adidas_Jabulani

So, ad hominem attacks aside, Orm was right. And wrong. His aforementioned definition of sphere (first paragraph above) was correct in the strictest application of the terms. But the vernacular use of 'ball' to refer to the object with which the game of soccer (or 'football' if you prefer) is less correct and bordering on the familiar. So if we're going to stick strictly to correct definitions, perhaps we could agree to call it a 'semi-rounded, hollow, superficially grooved spheroid'?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3923
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 5:26:03 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, a Limey is like an exotic fruit, except that it's not a fruit and not exotic.

Well, some of them are. Fruits that is.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3924
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2019 5:54:32 PM   
Zorch

quote:

So, I spent some time reading up on my use of the terms 'round', 'ball', 'sphere' and 'circular'. I admit error in conflating the use of 'round' and 'circular'. It turns out that Orm's definition is correct. Namely, that "A sphere is a perfectly round geometrical object in three dimensional space that is the surface of a completely round ball." Mea culpa.

But further delving into mathematical / physical parlance has made me realize that the use of the term 'ball' in 'soccer ball' is incorrect or at least informal.

In mathematics, a ball is the space bounded by a sphere. It may be a closed ball (including the boundary points that constitute the sphere) or an open ball (excluding them).

These concepts are defined not only in three-dimensional Euclidean space but also for lower and higher dimensions, and for metric spaces in general. A ball or hyperball in n dimensions is called an n-ball and is bounded by an (n − 1)-sphere. Thus, for example, a ball in the Euclidean plane is the same thing as a disk, the area bounded by a circle. In Euclidean 3-space, a ball is taken to be the volume bounded by a 2-dimensional sphere. In a one-dimensional space, a ball is a line segment.

In other contexts, such as in Euclidean geometry and informal use, sphere is sometimes used to mean ball.

Furthermore, a soccer ball is not a completely round spheroid. Apparently, the particularly round soccer balls are problematic in the play of the game. See the controversy associated with the 2010 Adidas Jabulani ball:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adidas_Jabulani

So, ad hominem attacks aside, Orm was right. And wrong. His aforementioned definition of sphere (first paragraph above) was correct in the strictest application of the terms. But the vernacular use of 'ball' to refer to the object with which the game of soccer (or 'football' if you prefer) is less correct and bordering on the familiar. So if we're going to stick strictly to correct definitions, perhaps we could agree to call it a 'semi-rounded, hollow, superficially grooved spheroid'?

Why not play with a cube?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3925
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/3/2019 2:01:56 AM   
Chickenboy

Wow! Congratulations to the women of TEAM USA again! Job well done against the UK squad today 2-1. Now they advance to the finals.

Hopefully for a grudge match against the Swedes. If they can get by Netherlands.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3926
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/3/2019 2:15:38 AM   
RangerJoe

Limeys are English/British sailors.

Cousin Jacks are English/Cornish hard rock miners. (No, not minors!)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3927
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/3/2019 3:25:46 AM   
Lobster

quote:

Wow! Congratulations to the women of TEAM USA again! Job well done against the UK squad today 2-1. Now they advance to the finals.

Hopefully for a grudge match against the Swedes. If they can get by Netherlands.

Yes I was sad to see England lose. I was really banking on them saving us. Hopefully the U.S. loses in the final so we don't have to put up with their arrogant mouths.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3928
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/3/2019 8:49:02 PM   
DD696

Agreed. I am rooting for any team that can put an end to the snit that emits from their mouths. Never watched soccer before, but watched the french and english matches in the hopes they would be wailing in defeat.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3929
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2019 2:09:40 PM   
Chickenboy

Haters gonna hate. Sorry to see you not make the finals Sweden. Congratulations on your 3rd place finish. From what I understand your match with the Netherlands was a real snoozer though.

Anyways, let's finish this up. GO TEAM USA!!!

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 3930
Page:   <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI