Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/28/2019 9:38:17 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

What football is all about....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49372359

I hope this has a happy ending for the two-time FA Cup winners, but time is getting short now....
warspite1

...and an even bigger name - a founding member of the football league in 1888 and 4-time FA Cup winners - and in even bigger trouble....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49473537

Bury have been expelled from the EFL. Bolton have been given 14 days although the administrators say winding up could begin today as the talks aimed at saving the club fail.

The phoenix always gives us hope however...

The Irish Guy gives his measured and solemn analysis of the situation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_acVKQBwZhs

Best wishes,
Steve

PS. The takeover at Bolton has apparently been completed. Not sure if the EFL has to give the takeover a final blessing.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 8/28/2019 10:17:56 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4051
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/6/2019 4:38:59 AM   
warspite1

So from the unremitting misery that is domestic football, its back to international football. So let's see how long the press love in with Gareth Southgate continues.

England has some interesting players coming through - can Mr Southgate mould them into a winning team? Well he's continued to pick Jesse Lingard so I have my doubts.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4052
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/6/2019 11:17:54 AM   
wodin

No he wont. The World Cup overall showed how useless we are. Any of our previous international teams over the last 20/30 or so years could have won the last world cup. Not these dolts though.

quote:

So from the unremitting misery that is domestic football, its back to international football. So let's see how long the press love in with Gareth Southgate continues.

England has some interesting players coming through - can Mr Southgate mould them into a winning team? Well he's continued to pick Jesse Lingard so I have my doubts.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4053
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/6/2019 6:26:38 PM   
RangerJoe

Irish Seven Course meal:

1 six pack of beer (aka barley pop)
1 potato

So grab a six pack, a bag of potato chips (American English, Queens's English is potato crisps) then sit down a watch a game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4054
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/24/2019 9:10:03 PM   
warspite1

In true Spurs style the wheels have well and truly come off. How bad can Eriksen get? What did he do when he came on (rhetorical question). Given his penalty record recently why was he even taking one?

Spurs are clueless, negative, slow, unimaginative and totally unable to pass a ball between two players (unless its to the opposition).

Oh well, a few years in the Champions League was good while it lasted. Back now to mid-table mediocrity.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4055
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/24/2019 10:00:48 PM   
loki100

that was grim ...

it does seem as if Pochettino has lost it?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4056
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/25/2019 6:24:43 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

that was grim ...

it does seem as if Pochettino has lost it?
warspite1

It's really difficult to know what has happened - pretty much since the start of the 2017-18 season - and has been getting worse each month. Alli is just useless and offers nothing - back to another embarrassing dive trying to win a penalty too. Eriksen's performance when he came on had to be seen to be believed for its sheer ineptitude - his first corner kick found the opposing corner flag...... Moura - as always - blows hot and (mostly) cold - touches of brilliance and many, many more touches not out of place with a 4th tier player. When attacking it looks like they've been drilled as to what to do - sideways, back, sideways, spread out to the wings, back and then either lose the ball or cross it into the box - a cross that meets a defender every time. Its a world away from City and Liverpool - an absolute world away - and is a long way from many other premiership teams too.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/25/2019 6:25:51 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4057
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/25/2019 10:47:00 AM   
Crossroads

If Poch is to have an off-year, finally, maybe this is not a bad year to have it. United continue to have totally lost their ethos, Chelsea is in transition, and Arsenal is doing their best impersonation of the stereotypical Spurs (if I may say so). So unless Hammers or Leicester can sustain their level, and I don't quite believe they can, I don't see Spurs falling off from top four.

But quite a strange start to this season, must admit. With the summer business done I thought you lot would improve from last year, rather.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4058
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/25/2019 1:18:24 PM   
Piteas

The Spurs disaster has been commented on the spanish televisions... The world is a village now.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 4059
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/6/2019 10:32:03 AM   
warspite1

Well we can't play football but we can put on a show for our American cousins

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-7538811/Tottenhams-sparkling-new-stadium-primed-ready-shine-NFL-debut-Sunday.html?offset=0&max=100&jumpTo=comment-470056859&reply=470056859#comment-470056859

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/american-football/49945551

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 4060
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/6/2019 12:50:09 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Well we can't play football but we can put on a show for our American cousins

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-7538811/Tottenhams-sparkling-new-stadium-primed-ready-shine-NFL-debut-Sunday.html?offset=0&max=100&jumpTo=comment-470056859&reply=470056859#comment-470056859

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/american-football/49945551

With cheerleaders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4061
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/6/2019 6:25:22 PM   
loki100

all of a sudden Spurs are not the crisis club any more ...

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4062
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/6/2019 6:43:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Well if Manchester United are in crisis at the same time as Spurs then Manchester United are always going to be the crisis club - by virtue of the fact they are bigger than Tottenham.

Every football fan I know has said Ole will be gone by Christmas - and they were saying that in February (at the latest) this year.

The difference between United and Spurs is that United can afford to a) off load a mis-firing manager and b) spend money on replacements.

Spurs can't do either should they decide that Poch needs to go (or Poch decides himself). Spurs aren't going to get a serial trophy winner to replace him because they can't afford the players the likes of Allegri or Mourinho would demand. That's why they seems to be thinking of the likes of Southgate (oh dear.....).

So we might not be the crisis club, but we are in crisis. We have a massive debt that has to be serviced and without Champions League (or even Europa League) football, and an ageing, seemingly disaffected squad that needs refreshing, that is a major problem.

For the first time I am even doubting Poch - he doesn't seem to have a plan B, his tactics are the same every game, and many of his team selections just beggar belief - Sanchez or Sissoko at right back?? Really?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4063
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/6/2019 8:05:38 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well if Manchester United are in crisis at the same time as Spurs then Manchester United are always going to be the crisis club - by virtue of the fact they are bigger than Tottenham.

Every football fan I know has said Ole will be gone by Christmas - and they were saying that in February (at the latest) this year.

The difference between United and Spurs is that United can afford to a) off load a mis-firing manager and b) spend money on replacements.

Spurs can't do either should they decide that Poch needs to go (or Poch decides himself). Spurs aren't going to get a serial trophy winner to replace him because they can't afford the players the likes of Allegri or Mourinho would demand. That's why they seems to be thinking of the likes of Southgate (oh dear.....).

So we might not be the crisis club, but we are in crisis. We have a massive debt that has to be serviced and without Champions League (or even Europa League) football, and an ageing, seemingly disaffected squad that needs refreshing, that is a major problem.

For the first time I am even doubting Poch - he doesn't seem to have a plan B, his tactics are the same every game, and many of his team selections just beggar belief - Sanchez or Sissoko at right back?? Really?

Look on the bright side, at least Braintree are doing well after an appalling start - unfortunately.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4064
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/7/2019 6:14:48 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Look on the bright side, at least Braintree are doing well after an appalling start - unfortunately.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Good news for Braintree indeed - and with the FA Cup win still to come too

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4065
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/7/2019 8:30:12 AM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

We decided, after a somewhat heated debate, to sacrifice the FA Cup for a mid table National League South finish. However, the players we have are not that bright and are doing a little better than we want. We keep booing them when they win but they still don't get it. What can you do?

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 10/7/2019 8:31:19 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4066
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/8/2019 7:09:26 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

We decided, after a somewhat heated debate, to sacrifice the FA Cup for a mid table National League South finish. However, the players we have are not that bright and are doing a little better than we want. We keep booing them when they win but they still don't get it. What can you do?

Best wishes,
Steve

Try to cheer them on instead.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4067
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2019 6:57:34 AM   
Crossroads

David Squires' take on managers under pressure, or Untitled Premier League Managers Game as the title was, was pure class again. How he does this week in week out I have no idea. "This" being how he mixes the latest memes and whatevers to latest on Premier League.

No worries Warspite, Poch was not mentioned. However, Colchester manager John McGreal gets a mention for his "inability to neat Tottenham in normal-time now looking increasingly like a poor result".

My favourite was Sean and Matt Longstaff walking to sunset, best of friends, with Bruce getting a bit misty-eyed about it. Of course, with Mark Knopfler guitar playing, we all are a bit Steve Bruce there. Right?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/oct/08/david-squires-on-premier-league-managers

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4068
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2019 12:05:20 PM   
wodin

As Warspite said it was good..ish...while it lasted. Poch decision making during the Champions League final said it all to me..really not bothered if he went (bring back HArry, he got the ball rolling for us. Apart from him that's the trouble who else is there?)..also time for Kane to go. Way to predictable with him in the side. As I said before the final every Liverpool fan here said if Kane starts then they will win, he wont be fit and we are too predictable with him, they knew how to deal with us with him in the side. When he isn't that's when the threat can come from anywhere Son, Erickson, Ali etc. Spend the money from Kane on two great players.

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/10/2019 12:10:47 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 4069
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2019 3:02:37 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

Try to cheer them on instead.

No. That would only encourage the little blighters.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4070
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2019 9:12:31 PM   
warspite1

There is rumour in the papers of Gareth Southgate becoming the new Spurs manger if Poch moves on.

I think it would be an excellent choice in terms of continuity; Southgate's England and Poch's Spurs currently play the same way - sideways, backwards, slow, dull, unimaginative, predictable, a creativity free zone, being unable to pass the ball, unable to pick a cross, unable to defend and generally pretty embarrassing.....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4071
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2019 9:18:39 PM   
loki100

quote:

... generally pretty embarrassing.....

you want embarrassing - hah, try the Scotland national team, at least we won't lose 0-4 to San Marino (well that is up for debate)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4072
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2019 9:29:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

... generally pretty embarrassing.....

you want embarrassing - hah, try the Scotland national team, at least we won't lose 0-4 to San Marino (well that is up for debate)
warspite1

Well at least we can agree on one thing; British football really knows how to stink the place out...... one draw and three defeats... at least the Northern Irish had an excuse.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4073
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/16/2019 3:59:16 AM   
warspite1

So the European qualifiers head to the pointy end and British football is pretty much where it's been for many years now;

England almost qualified having had no real opposition in the qualifying stages, but still proving disappointing to watch and with the realisation that they will be rubbish in the actual event when they meet teams of any quality.

Wales flattered to deceive a couple of years ago but are now almost back to normal and failing to qualify for major championships. They are not out of it yet though so still a chance of qualifying.

Northern Ireland have done really well but one suspects it will end in failure. Of all the home countries they can at least be proud of their campaign - certainly punching above their weight.

And then there is Scotland......

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4074
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/19/2019 4:23:40 PM   
loki100

I personally think we should abandon the 2019/20 season and just start again?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4075
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/19/2019 6:59:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I personally think we should abandon the 2019/20 season and just start again?
warspite1

Let's not kid ourselves here. On 2019 form, and continuing to play like this, means we are actually in a relegation battle. We dismiss this at out peril. There aren't any nailed on relegation fodder teams this year. This is actually quite serious.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4076
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/19/2019 10:32:56 PM   
loki100

I agree, this has gone on too long to be a short term drop in form. Sneaking a draw, courtesy of VAR, at home to Watford is not very re-assuring.

I mean over a season, you'll get odd results like lose at home to Newcastle etc but at the moment, I can't think of a game where Spurs really are the serious favourites?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4077
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/28/2019 11:59:23 AM   
shunwick

Just in case anyone missed it...

This is Leicester demolishing a woeful Southampton at St Mary's and scoring more goals than Southampton have points...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX_uDOMT8UM

And you think Spurs have it bad.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4078
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/1/2019 7:53:53 AM   
Orm

Football is stupid. Or rather, Swedish football is stupid.

A majority of the top league teams play their matches on artificial, plastic, turf. The winner is likely to be a team who has only played 6 matches on grass this season. One of the tree teams that can still win the title is a plastic pitch specialists who can not win on grass. Bah.

(6 out of 16 top league teams play on grass)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4079
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/1/2019 8:12:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Football is stupid. Or rather, Swedish football is stupid.

A majority of the top league teams play their matches on artificial, plastic, turf. The winner is likely to be a team who has only played 6 matches on grass this season. One of the tree teams that can still win the title is a plastic pitch specialists who can not win on grass. Bah.

(6 out of 16 top league teams play on grass)
warspite1

Mmmmmm..... I can understand why Sweden would want plastic pitches but....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4080
Page:   <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI