Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/3/2020 5:53:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

warspite1

...and now it looks like Sir Harry will be out for some time. Ho hum....

Sir Harry? I thought he was a Prince.
warspite1

No Prince Harry is a prince; Sir Harry is a footballer

Is Prince Andrew still a prince? Or does he have to take up 'football' as Sir Andrew now?
warspite1

He's certainly something beginning with P.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4141
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/2/2020 10:53:40 AM   
warspite1

How can Spurs end January with no striker - even a loan one to help while Harry is out? If Parrott is not considered ready (although I can't see why they don't at least try him out) then fair enough. But surely there was a striker out there with proven Premier League goal scoring ability that could have been signed on loan - as a short term fix?

But as we haven't - and we can't loan Parrott out because of UEFA rules - why not give the youngster a chance? The chances of getting a CL place have just about gone, so why not given the lad a go?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4142
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/2/2020 11:25:04 AM   
loki100

it reminds me of that season when Levy sold Berbatov right on the deadline, made no effort to replace. Almost as if he was just writing off the entire season.

But if so, and I can sort of see the logic, then yes, work through all the options at the club. If it works, Mourinho gets a new reputation as the creator of chances for new players, it not ... well.

And why buy a potentially good fast wide player when the one thing we don't lack for is pace in the secondary attacking positions?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4143
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/2/2020 11:33:36 AM   
warspite1

quote:

it reminds me of that season when Levy sold Berbatov right on the deadline, made no effort to replace. Almost as if he was just writing off the entire season.

But if so, and I can sort of see the logic, then yes, work through all the options at the club. If it works, Mourinho gets a new reputation as the creator of chances for new players, it not ... well.

And why buy a potentially good fast wide player when the one thing we don't lack for is pace in the secondary attacking positions?
warspite1

I really don't know....unless its to give options about who to play up front - or maybe we need a replacement for Son or Moura who may be spectacularly unimpressed at not playing in the CL next year - and Levy would rather sell than risk another Eriksen type debacle.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4144
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2020 7:43:41 PM   
warspite1

Any chance that - just for once - just once - we could play 45 minutes of football without totally stinking the place out? Different manager, a few different personnel.... exactly the same inability to score, pass, keep the ball, play intelligent balls in behind the defence, run with the ball, tackle, defend, keep goal. Absolutely awful.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4145
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2020 8:24:27 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Any chance that - just for once - just once - we could play 45 minutes of football without totally stinking the place out? Different manager, a few different personnel.... exactly the same inability to score, pass, keep the ball, play intelligent balls in behind the defence, run with the ball, tackle, defend, keep goal. Absolutely awful.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4146
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/9/2020 9:22:05 AM   
warspite1

Good news! We didn't lose this weekend.... I mean we didn't actually play, but hey, I'll take it

I'm a bit concerned by Everton's rise in the table. They could be the ones to get the fourth CL place on their current form...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4147
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/10/2020 10:43:03 PM   
loki100

can we re-employ Pochettino? This is the third time Levy has employed someone who used to manage Arsenal or Chelsea and it really isn't a good idea.

And just what is Mourinho trying to do? See he's back on blaming everyone but himself.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4148
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/11/2020 6:04:19 AM   
warspite1

quote:

can we re-employ Pochettino? This is the third time Levy has employed someone who used to manage Arsenal or Chelsea and it really isn't a good idea.

And just what is Mourinho trying to do? See he's back on blaming everyone but himself.
warspite1

As much as I am grateful to Poch for all he did, it can't be denied the problems we have now started about two years ago on his watch. How much of this was his fault and how much was Levy's I don't know. But why couldn't Poch alter what was clearly happening on the pitch, beginning in 2018 and becoming critical in 2019? He seemed to have no plan B, there was never any question of dropping players who simply were no longer playing - Eriksen and Alli being the most high profile.

I mean who was desperate to sign Ndombele for that much money? Clearly talented but has a major attitude/fitness problem. We've already got Aurier, we didn't need another one. Why were we prepared to walk away from Fernandes? Why not get a striker - even a short term fix - knowing Harry's injury problems.

I completely agree on the manager situation. I am not going to say Mourinho was necessarily the wrong choice (though is now looking that way) but Levy felt he couldn't take a chance on an unknown. But AVB will always be a major blot on his copybook.

A stadium to finance, a squad in need of major surgery, a manager who looks like his sell by date has been reached, disaffected players (including Harry)... no Europa League football (let alone the Champions League)... I'd love to know Levy's thoughts and game plan right now.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4149
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/11/2020 12:05:56 PM   
loki100

I guess the difference was the last 18 months under Poch Spurs were basically playing rubbish but at least it was a rubbish attempt to play in a demonstrable style. Under Emou[1], we seem to have regressed to the late 90s and have no idea what we are even trying to do (never mind be able to do whatever that is meant to be).

Yes, Levy is keen to take the often well earned praise for overall stewardship but he really made a mess of the side that Poch created when he decided it would be cute not to invest. its not as if we have to look far (ie down the Seven Sisters) to see what happens when you indulge yourself this way?

[1] to use the term of the great David Squires - https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/mar/10/david-squires-on-british-footballs-reaction-to-the-coronavirus-outbreak

edit - anyway in the Highland league Brora won the big Caithness-Sutherland derby at the weekend, looks like they are heading for the big time of the Scottish third division (if they want it - which they may not given travel etc).

< Message edited by loki100 -- 3/11/2020 12:08:31 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4150
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/11/2020 12:39:21 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

warspite1

As much as I am grateful to Poch for all he did, it can't be denied the problems we have now started about two years ago on his watch. How much of this was his fault and how much was Levy's I don't know. But why couldn't Poch alter what was clearly happening on the pitch, beginning in 2018 and becoming critical in 2019? He seemed to have no plan B, there was never any question of dropping players who simply were no longer playing - Eriksen and Alli being the most high profile.

I mean who was desperate to sign Ndombele for that much money? Clearly talented but has a major attitude/fitness problem. We've already got Aurier, we didn't need another one. Why were we prepared to walk away from Fernandes? Why not get a striker - even a short term fix - knowing Harry's injury problems.

I completely agree on the manager situation. I am not going to say Mourinho was necessarily the wrong choice (though is now looking that way) but Levy felt he couldn't take a chance on an unknown. But AVB will always be a major blot on his copybook.

A stadium to finance, a squad in need of major surgery, a manager who looks like his sell by date has been reached, disaffected players (including Harry)... no Europa League football (let alone the Champions League)... I'd love to know Levy's thoughts and game plan right now.

You could always switch to watching these teams with the caveat that the bad players get eaten!

Attachment (1)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4151
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 3/31/2020 6:25:37 AM   
warspite1

Two passions in one interesting article: Football and World war II.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8168925/Atomic-bombs-battleships-Blackpool-Cyril-Lawrence-led-life-ordinary.html

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4152
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/13/2020 9:55:06 PM   
loki100

Since there is no football, the SFA has found a new way to make a complete farce of the game in Scotland (note: we don't need much help), featuring a missing/never sent/dog eaten ballot from Dundee and a stushie from elsewhere:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/apr/13/how-scottish-footballs-voting-farce-led-to-open-warfare-breaking-out

in effect, they can't even organise a simple vote on a single proposal of how the current season might be resolved. Every one (& my cats) knew that the clubs most at risk of relegation from the Premier League and the Championship would have plausible grounds to complain if the current league positions were set in stone, it takes some genius to mean the club that realistically can't finish anywhere but 2nd in the SPL also has a legitimate complaint

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4153
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 4/17/2020 10:27:58 AM   
warspite1

RIP Norman 'bites yer legs' Hunter who sadly succumbed to the Coronavirus.

A non-playing member of the World Cup winning squad of 1966, he was a stalwart for Leeds United during their glory years.

Best not mention Poland 1973 though.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/17/2020 10:28:59 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4154
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2020 12:08:48 AM   
terje439

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark .

At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet , silver song of a lark.

Walk On Through The Wind
Walk On Through The Rain
Though Your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk On , Walk On
with hope in your hearts
And You'll Never Walk Alone
You'll never walk alone .

Walk On , Walk on
with hope in your hearts
You'll never walk alone.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4155
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2020 8:45:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark .

At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet , silver song of a lark.

Walk On Through The Wind
Walk On Through The Rain
Though Your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk On , Walk On
with hope in your hearts
You'll never walk alone .

Walk On , Walk on
with hope in your hearts
You'll never walk alone.
warspite1

Congratulations to Liverpool.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 4156
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2020 9:35:13 AM   
terje439

It only took 30 years...

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4157
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2020 10:24:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

It only took 30 years...
warspite1

....which is better than 59 years and counting....

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 4158
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2020 10:30:09 AM   
loki100

yep, I should have paid more attention when I was around 4 months old if I'd realised that wasn't going to happen again for some time

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4159
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2020 10:32:26 AM   
Crossroads

I became a Reds fan as a kid playing goalie, with the great Ray Clemence as my idol. The man, the mullet, the sideburns! (That's why I still have a bit of a soft spot for Spurs as well, just don't tell anyone...).

I was 24 the last time they won the league. Never thought it would take this long. But it doesn't matter, so many great memories over the years, at the top having a chance to go to Cardiff for that 2006 FA Cup finale with my son, 10 years at the time.

My oldest son is now 24. So the timing seems apt.

Just hoping he doesn't have to turn 54 before seeing the next league title.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4160
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/26/2020 4:28:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

I became a Reds fan as a kid playing goalie, with the great Ray Clemence as my idol. The man, the mullet, the sideburns! (That's why I still have a bit of a soft spot for Spurs as well, just don't tell anyone...).

I was 24 the last time they won the league. Never thought it would take this long. But it doesn't matter, so many great memories over the years, at the top having a chance to go to Cardiff for that 2006 FA Cup finale with my son, 10 years at the time.

My oldest son is now 24. So the timing seems apt.

Just hoping he doesn't have to turn 54 before seeing the next league title.
warspite1

I don't think there is any chance of that...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 4161
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2020 5:17:31 AM   
Crossroads

Let us see where we're heading, another oil state seemingly close to starting their PR campaign with Premier League.

It is what it is.

I've long ago defaulted to just enjoying the games, winning something is nice of course. The next few years should be fun no matter what, with the 30 year wait finally over.

As for the team, it started peaking last season, the core has maybe two more years on it, interesting to see how it will be handled.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4162
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2020 8:10:52 AM   
warspite1

RIP Jack Charlton Another of the 1966 legends passes away

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 4163
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2020 5:22:03 PM   
Orm

Football. Bah! A truly dumb game. Why anyone even bothers eludes me at the moment.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4164
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2020 10:04:56 PM   
gamer78

Football is the most political sport worldwide maybe not in Sweden.

Barça dreams: https://www.netflix.com/tr/title/81003984

While Pepe was in Beşiktaş few years ago how harsh is Sergio Ramos to Catalans. I don't respect those players. Football is not about kicking other player or about revenge.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4165
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2020 10:14:48 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Football. Bah! A truly dumb game. Why anyone even bothers eludes me at the moment.

+1 Especially scoreless ties. 90+ minutes and nothing happened!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4166
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2020 4:48:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

Sunday morning - I'm in full agreement. Sunday afternoon - you are talking rubbish, football is a wonderful game

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4167
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/16/2020 10:06:01 AM   
warspite1

Pep Guardiola. Just. Too. Funny. Well that result brightens up a rather overcast and miserable day in the southeast of Englandsville .

All that money and.... The Carabao Cup. Well done.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4168
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/16/2020 11:16:16 AM   
loki100

well its no brighter in Caithness ... but yes and Bayern's 8-2 offers some (very limited) context for Spurs' abject performance against them

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4169
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/16/2020 11:25:23 AM   
warspite1

quote:

well its no brighter in Caithness ... but yes and Bayern's 8-2 offers some (very limited) context for Spurs' abject performance against them
warspite1

Thanks for bringing that up

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4170
Page:   <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  137 138 [139] 140 141   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI