Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/22/2020 11:22:04 AM   
Orm

... and it is just that moment when you think that, that Lucy pulls the ball...

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4231
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/23/2020 2:08:19 AM   
NavalNewZ

Why Cant I delete? big downvote for Matrix forums and the reason why i dont post here much.

< Message edited by NavalNewZ -- 11/23/2020 2:50:39 AM >

..there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4232
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/23/2020 11:59:41 AM   
wodin

Spurs 2 Man City 0

Not bad eh warspite. I know it's difficult to be positive as a Spurs fan, but try. You said the big teams would beat us...City is pretty big.

A draw with Chelsea and win against Arsenal and that's great results.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4233
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/23/2020 3:01:13 PM   
VPaulus

I saw the match yesterday against City.
If Spurs play always as a team, the way they have played yesterday, everything is possible.
It was a real strong and humble (with no prima donas) team that I saw on the pitch.
Besides Spurs have the best player in the world (IMO), Kane.
So, who knows...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4234
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/24/2020 3:42:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Spurs 2 Man City 0

Not bad eh warspite. I know it's difficult to be positive as a Spurs fan, but try. You said the big teams would beat us...City is pretty big.

A draw with Chelsea and win against Arsenal and that's great results.
warspite1

Lol

I said:

Top four? Well it would be good if played a LOT better than we did against Burnley and a WHOLE LOT better than we did against Brighton and a MASSIVE LOT better than against Antwerp..... Unless we improve then when we play proper teams like City and Chelsea in the coming weeks, we will be ripped apart.

I say again - and all the football pundits say the same - against Everton it is difficult to exaggerate how bad we were - and how bad Hojbjerg was in particular. Alderweirald didn't get back in the team for a while, Winks and Alli are in the cold, Davies has lost his place at left back.

Yes - we were shocking. Subsequent performances where we scrapped out a result were better - but hardly brilliant.

The game against Man City can be looked at in two ways:

- if we had lost (and margins are fine in football) then the performance would have been criticised heavily. At home to Man City and they dominated possession - and we were resorting to pumping long balls upfield for much of the time (can you imagine Liverpool playing like that?... but then Liverpool didn't beat City - although they were away)

- as we won, it was a Jose masterclass. Sit and defend and beat them on the counter. Well it worked at Inter Milan so maybe it can work for Spurs.

As fans, we all deal with things in the way we find most comfortable. Personally, the idea that, playing like that, we are possible champions, is absurd. I would give anything to be wrong- and for Spurs to actually win the title in my lifetime..... but I'm not holding my breath

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/24/2020 3:55:31 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4235
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/25/2020 4:03:16 PM   
RFalvo69

The news media report that Diego Armando Maradona died today. A cardiac arrest it would seem.

https://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-argentina-maradona-death-idUSKBN2852JR

The pinnacle of "genius and disorderliness" in sports. They are already talking about him as "the Greatest Soccer Player Ever". Sorry, but I reserve that title for Pelè. Still sad news, though

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4236
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/25/2020 4:17:55 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Only 60. Too young to die.

RIP

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 11/25/2020 4:22:30 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 4237
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/25/2020 5:45:00 PM   
terje439

RIP indeed

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 4238
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/25/2020 6:14:24 PM   
warspite1

RIP Maradona. A tortured footballing genius. Capable of doing things on the pitch mere mortals could only dream about.

As for the Pele vs Maradona argument. Pele wins this for the same reason as Lewis wins Hamilton vs Schumacher. When you have two sporting colossus from different periods its impossible to ever know who was the better. But when one of the options plays the game cleanly and fairly, and the other has moments of less than sporting behaviour, then the former deserves the benefit of any doubt.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 4239
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/25/2020 8:23:11 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

RIP Maradona. A tortured footballing genius. Capable of doing things on the pitch mere mortals could only dream about.

As for the Pele vs Maradona argument. Pele wins this for the same reason as Lewis wins Hamilton vs Schumacher. When you have two sporting colossus from different periods its impossible to ever know who was the better. But when one of the options plays the game cleanly and fairly, and the other has moments of less than sporting behaviour, then the former deserves the benefit of any doubt.

I agree. Maradona had an immense talent, but he wasted a big portion of it with his often irresponsible behaviour (drugs, illegitimate children, shady dealings with the camorra when with Naples...) A pity. Pelè was consistently great and a role-model outside the pitch too.

I remember when, after "coming clean" from cocaine (which is a form of doping) and a 15 months ban, Maradona was immediately caught using doping again at the 1994 World Cup. All my friends were sympathetic with him (and I mean all). I, alone, wasn't. Maybe I was too harsh, but I felt that Maradona, by using doping, had betrayed the faith that the team and the coach had given to him. He later stated that it had been "involuntary doping" and he didn't knew that the energiser he drank contained dopant substances. Maybe, but I felt that, by then, he had lost his credibility.

Nothing of this, of course, denies that he was a legend on the pitch. But, sadly, he consistently sabotaged himself with his irresponsible behaviour - a loss for him in the first place, but, in a final analysis, for everybody too.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4240
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/25/2020 10:30:06 PM   
VPaulus

RIP Maradona.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 4241
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/26/2020 8:59:08 AM   
Piteas

RIP Diego Maradona.

The only footballer who is a religion:

Maradonian Church

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 4242
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/26/2020 12:19:14 PM   
kch

DEP Diego

(in reply to Piteas)
Post #: 4243
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/30/2020 11:57:48 AM   
wodin

Well I said if we beat City and draw with Chelsea and then beat Arsenal that would be excellent.

So far we have beat City and draw with Chelsea! Just Arsenal to go, looks like maybe I should have put a bet on! Last two results have been excellent. I'm still hoping for a four finish and just maybe some silver ware!

Hand of god....no thanks. Never forgave him for that. He was a fraud and cheater. His talent therefore can't be judged.

Oh Warspite Holberg has been superb in recent matches, more than made up for Everton. As for Jose he seems to have mixed Spurs way with his it seems to be working. Let's be honest Spurs way could be lovely to watch but sadly it hasn't worked for the last 50 odd years, that's a fact. So if we have to change even for abit to win the league then it's worth it. I m no fan of Jose but if results keep coming like they have been I can't complain.

As for Everton look at Liverpool against Villa or Man Utd against us. All teams have had very bad games not just Spurs plus that was first match of the season. We have never been so high up the league this stage of the season. If we were as bad as you say we'd be near bottom of the league not top or it shows how bad all the others are.

My prediction was what I hoped against hope for, I was expecting Chelsea to beat us 2-0 or even more. Chelsea we always seem to lose against. This season it's been two draws one we won on penalties, as a Spurs fan I can't expect more than that against the blue sh@te!

For the first time in recent years we have some depth to the team. Defence has well tightened up and up front we have the talent to pull teams apart. Though like Warspite I can't ever see us winning the league but hope just once at least they do it in my lifetime I do think for the first time in a while there is a tiny glimmer of a chance and way more than a glimmer for top four finish.

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/30/2020 12:23:46 PM >

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 4244
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/7/2020 10:15:47 AM   
wodin

2-0 win against City
0-0 draw against Chelsea
2-0 win against Arsenal

Damn I should have put a bet on when I predicted win, draw, win. We did it!

Thoughts now Warspite? Feeling any better?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4245
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/8/2020 4:03:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

How am I feeling? I'm a Spurs fan of circa 50 years so I feel as I always feel. I am just waiting for things to go wrong.

Seven points from nine against those three? Fantastic. But we are Spurs so.....

......get ready for 2-0 loss to Crystal Palace followed by a right royal thumping from Liverpool.

I hate football....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4246
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/8/2020 4:04:38 PM   
Orm

Well... I hate football more... so there...

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4247
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/8/2020 4:08:27 PM   
Orm

A worthless season is over. A long winter is coming. And then a new season begins. And we are lousy in the first third of the season. Every year it is the same. We can not play football when the season begins. A long winter just to see the team lose the ability to play football.

I hate football.

(This season was so short that it was more or less over before the team remembered how to play football)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4248
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/8/2020 4:12:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Well... I hate football more... so there...
warspite1

Au contraire....I hate football even morerer FACT so there - triple stampsies no erasies.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4249
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/10/2020 12:10:48 AM   
Edorf

My beloved Viking FK Stavanger, currently sixth in the Norwegian Eliteserien with two matches to go. Started the season terrible but improved a lot during the summer.
We haven’t won the league since 1991 despite being one of the bigger clubs in Norway. The bigger teams have struggled financially for several years so the standard of play have dropped quite a bit. The league was currently won by Bodø/Glimt by a large margin and they also had a solid performance in the Europa League against Milan at San Siro (2-3)

Viking Fk is probably more known outside Norway for knocking out Chelsea in the UEFA Cup in 2002. Current Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson also managed Viking from 2004-06.

I hope we improve next season and hopefully we can compete for the title.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4250
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/10/2020 3:50:24 PM   
wodin

quote:

quote:

warspite1

How am I feeling? I'm a Spurs fan of circa 50 years so I feel as I always feel. I am just waiting for things to go wrong.

......get ready for 2-0 loss to Crystal Palace followed by a right royal thumping from Liverpool.

I hate football....

I do understand, I am a Spurs fan too. I'm waiting for the collapse. We really shouldn't lose against CP but I can't see us beating Liverpool..a darw at best.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4251
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/10/2020 4:23:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I hate football....

I do understand, I am a Spurs fan too. I'm waiting for the collapse. We really shouldn't lose against CP but I can't see us beating Liverpool..a darw at best.

warspite1

To bring into play that old footballing cliche, let's take one game at a time.

What can Spurs do, at home, vs Antwerp tonight? They didn't turn up for the away game and were little better against LASK so..... Spurs need a win, the Belgians just a draw in order to finish top and get (in theory) one of the 'lesser' teams in the first knockout stage.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4252
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/20/2020 3:15:59 PM   
warspite1

....so... one point from nine and a potential banana skin to come against Stoke.

Let's hope that any nonsense talk about the potential of this team is now put to bed following this week's results.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4253
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/25/2021 3:14:21 PM   
warspite1

Wow - I know Abramovich and Chelsea have a certain MO, but I really thought they would give Lampard until the end of the season given his history at the club.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4254
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/30/2021 11:44:08 PM   
RangerJoe

Nothing like people knowing that you won't be home . . .

quote:

USMNT and Juventus star Weston McKennie's house burgled during game

USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie had his house burgled during Juventus' Coppa Italia quarterfinal victory over SPAL on Wednesday, the Italian side confirmed to ESPN.

The thieves were able to leave with branded shoes and clothes, as well as several other objects of value.

Given the timing, the initial outlook is the robbery was planned with the knowledge McKennie would be playing for Juventus at that time. He alerted the authorities the following day when he returned home and forensic police have searched the rooms for any potential DNA.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/juventus/story/4301854/usmnt-and-juventus-star-mckennies-house-burgled-during-game

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4255
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/31/2021 8:53:55 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

When Italian football legend Paolo Rossi prematurely died at 64 years old, his home was burgled during his funeral. Disgusting

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4256
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/31/2021 9:03:39 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

When Italian football legend Paolo Rossi prematurely died at 64 years old, his home was burgled during his funeral. Disgusting

I have heard that some people will actually have someone in the home to prevent such things.

I also read where some men dressed up like they were members of a wedding party who then packed up all of the gifts and left. They were not members of either the bride's nor the groom's family nor were they friends of either side.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 4257
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/1/2021 7:46:17 PM   
warspite1

What total moron started a football thread???? Mods can we get this removed please??

I b***** hate football - stoopid, rubbish game .

[Turns to heaven] Dad, why couldn't you have supported someone good? You saddle me with a club whose team is frankly embarrassing to watch and you saddled your grand-daughters in turn. Thanks Dad

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4258
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/1/2021 9:37:36 PM   
loki100

I thought we'd all agreed never to talk about football ever again?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4259
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/2/2021 4:58:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

I thought we'd all agreed never to talk about football ever again?
warspite1

Well technically I wasn't. I don't think the total dross, our team serves up, can be mistaken for football.

Best bit? If Arsenal beat out of form Wolves tonight - in other words when - then they go above us. You need a certain masochistic streak to support our mob don't you?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/2/2021 4:59:19 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4260
Page:   <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI