Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 9:46:29 PM   
warspite1

Please remember folks to give your quarter final predictions before the kick-off of the first match on Thursday.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 601
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 9:51:54 PM   
Orm

The extra referees at the goal areas are a joke. Maybe next time they find some that are not completely blind.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 602
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 9:53:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

The extra referees at the goal areas are a joke. Maybe next time they find some that are not completely blind.
Warspite1

Agreed - these guys add NOTHING....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 603
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:02:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

and Italy ...

versus

the Rep. of Ireland

Warspite1

I'll vote for Italy - nice cheeks. Don't tell Wodin though, he doesn't like chubby cheeks

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 604
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:04:21 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

No luck tonight on Euro 2012...

Spain scored from off-side and just before that there was clear penalty for Croatia - Spanish defender used both hands to pull don Croatian player...

Croatia vs. Spain: 0:1

Italy vs. Ireland: 2:0

Spain and Italy advance on...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 605
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:07:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

No luck tonight on Euro 2012...

Spain scored from off-side and just before that there was clear penalty for Croatia - Spanish defender used both hands to pull don Croatian player...

Croatia vs. Spain: 0:1

Italy vs. Ireland: 2:0

Spain and Italy advance on...

Leo "Apollo11"
Warspite1

Hi Leo - shame you don't hang out here for the Euro's what with being a proper footie fan and all. Hope you can join us for the rest of the tournament.

Unlucky tonight - yes, once again the extra officials prove worthless.....

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 606
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:09:21 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Spain - great couple minutes of football. Class.

Not really... Spain disappointed me totally...

Before championship and before tonight I thought surely that Spain will win with ease - but after tonight I am 100% confident that they they didn't deserve win and that they didn't play good...

And BTW:

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 607
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:11:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Spain - great couple minutes of football. Class.

Not really... Spain disappointed me totally...

Before championship and before tonight I thought surely that Spain will win with ease - but after tonight I am 100% confident that they they didn't deserve win and that they didn't play good...

And BTW:

Leo "Apollo11"
Warspite1

I was talking about the build up play prior to the goal. Great movement down the left wing. Other than that I though Croatia defended well and stopped the Spanish from playing. But the sign of a good team is to win when they don't play well....

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 608
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:21:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

This evening we have Croatia ...

versus Spain

Warspite1

Spain please

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 609
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:22:58 PM   
warspite1

I think the English entry lacks a certain degree of class....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 610
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:32:05 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

and Italy ...

versus

the Rep. of Ireland

Warspite1

I'll vote for Italy - nice cheeks. Don't tell Wodin though, he doesn't like chubby cheeks

Indeed.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 611
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:34:19 PM   
Orm

Do you think England, as a team, will play better with Rooney on the field?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 612
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:35:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

New page begins with a England fan.

Source: Alex Livesey/Getty Images Europe

I thought this was pure class.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 613
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:46:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

The secret to win is rather simple... have world class players. Anytime & anywhere. Then there is luck, of course.

Given that Rooney is a world class striker, YES, he should make the difference. But of course let's not forget what happened to Messi during the WC... the best player out there but if your midfield can't give him good, decent balls he has nothing to do.

Whatever, great players make the difference, so yes, Rooney necessarily improves the English team.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 614
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:50:46 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

The secret to win is rather simple... have world class players. Anytime & anywhere. Then there is luck, of course.

Given that Rooney is a world class striker, YES, he should make the difference. But of course let's not forget what happened to Messi during the WC... the best player out there but if your midfield can't give him good, decent balls he has nothing to do.

Whatever, great players make the difference, so yes, Rooney necessarily improves the English team.

It should be as you say. But several times I have noticed that the other players relax when they have a star on the pitch. It seems like they think "lets give the boll to the star and we will win" and thereby do less themselves.

I've seen the English team with Rooney make worse games than they have so far in the tournament. With that said I look forward seeing England improve their game tommorow.

Post #: 615
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:51:24 PM   
TulliusDetritus

To back up what I am saying:

Argentina won her WCs (1978 and 1986) because of an exceptional generation: Maradona among them. France, exactly the same in 1998 (Zidane & Co.). And right now Spain. It's all about great players, a coincidence, luck.

Maybe Argentina, France and Spain will need to wait let's say 30 years... when a new exceptional generation will show up.

Now it's true that the Dutch missed their chance (in the 70s that is).

Rather simple as you can see

Post #: 616
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:54:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

Argentina won her WCs (1978 and 1986) because of an exceptional generation: Maradona among them. France, exactly the same in 1998 (Zidane & Co.). And right now Spain. It's all about great players, a coincidence, luck.

Maybe Argentina, France and Spain will need to wait let's say 30 years... when a new exceptional generation will show up.

Like Greece in 2004?

I think I can list a lot of teams with great stars that have played poorly in the tournaments.

Post #: 617
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 10:57:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

It should be as you say. But several times I have noticed that the other players relax when they have a star on the pitch. It seems like they think "lets give the boll to the star and we will win" and thereby do less themselves.

Or perhaps they will have more chances. World class striker = fearsome guy = he is terrorising the defenders only because he is on the pitch

This -many times- opens many spaces for other players, namely offensive midfielders (let's say in this case Gerrard).

When we think about great players it's not only about what they do with the ball. They are dangerous even without the ball, as per the reasons stated above

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 618
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2012 11:00:50 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

Like Greece in 2004?

I think I can list a lot of teams with great stars that have played poorly in the tournaments.

As I said on one of my first comments on this thread, there have been many underdogs in the Euro Cups: Greece, Czech Republic, Denmark... Not exceptional teams but they won it. But the WC, you will hardly find a standard team winning it.

I don't know the reasons, but just check the winners

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 619
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 6:35:22 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like Greece in 2004?

As I said on one of my first comments on this thread, there have been many underdogs in the Euro Cups: Greece, Czech Republic, Denmark... Not exceptional teams but they won it. But the WC, you will hardly find a standard team winning it.

I don't know the reasons, but just check the winners
Warspite1

To be fair how do you judge what is "standard" and what is "exceptional"? You seem to base that on the country not the team.

I think we can all agree that Greece were "standard". They had a "defensive" game plan and it worked. 99 times out of a 100 they would have fallen before or during the final. But fair play they won it without any world class players.

Denmark beat Holland and Germany to win Euro 92. They had some great players if not world class in the manner of Pele or Maradona.

But you say that does not happen in the World Cup - was England an exceptional team in 66? Was the West Germany that beat the exceptional Hungarians in 54 exceptional themselves? Not judging by the reports I have read. Italy in 1982 (couldn't win a first round group game), Germany in 1990 - exceptional?

Post #: 620
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 8:34:48 AM   
wodin

I desperately wanted Croatia to win. I feel the deserved it.

Warspite I'm surprised you never mentioned the amazing footage of Mr Ardellies I put up from his Spurs days. The football was sublime and I reckon that team would win the League if around today.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 621
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 1:03:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

To be fair how do you judge what is "standard" and what is "exceptional"? You seem to base that on the country not the team.

Not the country [?] and team [the Mongols also have a national team but I doubt they got too far]: the exceptional players Almost every coach (except perhaps the extravagant primadonnas) will tell you that it's all you really need to win... No rocket science. You still can lose, right, but that is a big advantage.

As regards Italy '82, I remember perfectly a guy called Rossi. They had exceptional players. Same thing with the Germans in 1990: Mattaus, Klinsmann, Voller...

Are you sure the English side in 1966 didn't have exceptional players (er... Robert Charlton)?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 622
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 2:12:19 PM   
wodin

England should have won Italia '90. Oh and Euro '96. Last time we where any good.

Post #: 623
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 6:41:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

England should have won Italia '90. Oh and Euro '96. Last time we where any good.
Warspite1

I think Italia 90 is a stretch - we were so so in getting out of the group, VERY, VERY lucky to beat Belgium (remember the first half?) VERY lucky to beat Cameroon (that Mr Lineaker's got big Cajones) and unlucky to lose to Germany (what a freak goal...).

In Euro 96 the game against Holland was the bestest ever. The Gazza goal against Scotland was the bestest ever. We were LUCKY against Spain, and soooo unlucky against Germany - the Gascoigne gnats whisker and Anderton striking the post in extra time - but .......

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 624
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 6:43:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I desperately wanted Croatia to win. I feel the deserved it.

Warspite I'm surprised you never mentioned the amazing footage of Mr Ardellies I put up from his Spurs days. The football was sublime and I reckon that team would win the League if around today.
Warspite1

Yeah good to see - even if Mr Villa's that you posted were even better. Mickey Hazard said the other day that we should have won the league but let's face it, we weren't exactly close were we?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 625
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 6:51:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Not the country [?] and team [the Mongols also have a national team but I doubt they got too far]: the exceptional players Almost every coach (except perhaps the extravagant primadonnas) will tell you that it's all you really need to win... No rocket science. You still can lose, right, but that is a big advantage.

As regards Italy '82, I remember perfectly a guy called Rossi. They had exceptional players. Same thing with the Germans in 1990: Mattaus, Klinsmann, Voller...

Are you sure the English side in 1966 didn't have exceptional players (er... Robert Charlton)?
Warspite1

Re point in bold - I don't ever seem to make myself understood with you for some reason do I?.....

As for the rest, depends on what is your definition of exceptional. Sorry, but you discounted Denmark as "standard" but they had the Laudrups, Vilfort, Larsen and another person you may have heard of...Schmeichel.

You discounted the Czechs but they had Panenka, Nehoda and Masny.

Post #: 626
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 7:44:49 PM   
Orm

quote:

Please remember folks to give your quarter final predictions before the kick-off of the first match on Thursday.

What are we predicting? Result after 90 min? After extra time? After penalties?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 627
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 8:37:34 PM   
warspite1

I was going to keep it the same 1 point for correct result and 1 extra for score. The guess would be the score (including extra time) or you can say "after penalties". What do you think?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 628
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2012 8:44:03 PM   
Orm

quote:

I was going to keep it the same 1 point for correct result and 1 extra for score. The guess would be the score (including extra time) or you can say "after penalties". What do you think?

I think after extra time but before penalties.

If we decide on after penalties then there can be no draw result.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 629
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI