Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 2/21/2014 8:42:50 PM   
Crimguy

Pellegrini charged by UEFA for comments he made. He can now pull a Wenger and watch the UCL from the stands. Wonder if he'll txt instructions to his coach . . .

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1351
RE: European Championships - 2/21/2014 8:48:21 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Pelligrini really needs to keep his mouth shut. Premier League is Man City's to lose, considering their depth of talent. Certainly more than Arsenal or Chelsea.

Comments he makes after a loss like the Barca one make him sound like a bit of a spoiled baby.

He is a well paid, spoiled, baby.

Edit: But this seem to fit many football managers.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/21/2014 9:50:23 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 1352
RE: European Championships - 2/22/2014 2:39:06 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Compared to Moaninho , every other manager is a Sister of Charity. Gosh, I really hate this guy. If I ever came across this clown, they should contain me, really

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1353
RE: European Championships - 2/22/2014 3:14:19 AM   
Crimguy

Can't argue with that. Mourinho is a complete d***wad but he may be some kind of savant. I would like to stick him in a cage and have monkeys fling poo at him for a couple days. Or maybe have the Redknapps do the flinging.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Compared to Moaninho , every other manager is a Sister of Charity. Gosh, I really hate this guy. If I ever came across this clown, they should contain me, really

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1354
RE: European Championships - 2/25/2014 6:10:08 PM   
Orm

I am going to watch Olympiacos versus Manchester United in the Champions League.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 1355
RE: European Championships - 2/25/2014 10:22:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am going to watch Olympiacos versus Manchester United in the Champions League.
warspite1

Lets hope Man U lose 2-0

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1356
RE: European Championships - 2/25/2014 10:59:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Lets hope Man U lose 2-0

LOL

They did!

P.S.: feel free to PM the next saturday Euro Millions winning numbers! Thanks in advance.

P.P.S: and now let's hope Chelsea is trashed 8 - 0. And yes, it's personal! I want Mourinho to lose everything (sorry about the fans ). Here's my prophecy: this guy will soon leave football as no one will hire him. He will end up either as 1) Portugal national team coach or 2) TV pundit.

I give him 2 years maximum.

Remember my words!

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1357
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 7:16:23 PM   
Orm

Swedish TV have been talking about The Spurs for 10 minutes now and they say one nice thing after another. And even more nice things about their fans. And this in a program who focus on the entire Europa League.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1358
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 7:27:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Swedish TV have been talking about The Spurs for 10 minutes now and they say one nice thing after another. And even more nice things about their fans. And this in a program who focus on the entire Europa League.
Warspite1

No idea what they are saying nice things about - we are toilet

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1359
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 7:36:35 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

They have Tottenham as one of the favourites to win Europa League.

And they were of the opinion that the Tottenham fans were the best in England.

Edit: This might be because a majority of the Swedish sport reporters are Tottenham fans.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/27/2014 8:39:23 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1360
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 7:41:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

They have Tottenham as one of the favourites to win Europa League.

And they were of the opinion that the Tottenham fans were the best in England.
warspite1

I'll take the fan compliment - but believe me, we are so far from winning the cup it's untrue.

Based on this bilge so far I cannot see us scoring - no creation, no skill, just soooo poor

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1361
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 8:00:50 PM   
warspite1

0-0 at half-time. What happened to the Tottenham that used to play quick, counter-attacking football that scared the hell out of defences?

Soldado is lucky to be on the pitch after a definite elbow and Vertonghen is getting involved in stupid niggles.

No way Dneipro won't score this half.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1362
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 8:12:57 PM   
warspite1

Well I never saw that coming!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1363
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 8:57:01 PM   
Orm

I do not understand why Adebayor have not been a starting player more often this season.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1364
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 8:58:17 PM   
Orm

Tottenham easily to the next round.

And this while they play bad, according to Warspite1. So nothing can stop them when, or if, they play well.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1365
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 9:04:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

And this while they play bad, according to Warspite1. So nothing can stop them when, or if, they play well.
warspite1

The score tells 30% of the story. We were incredibly lucky. That was no sending off.......

Edit: on reflection it was a definite head butt....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/27/2014 10:08:23 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1366
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 9:06:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I do not understand why Adebayor have not been a starting player more often this season.
warspite1

He fell out with AVB - doesn't everyone? - and Tim Sherwood put him back in when he took over.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1367
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 9:07:15 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The score tells 30% of the story. We were incredibly lucky. That was no sending off.......

Here they thought it was a sending off. Although they argued about how much he was provoked. But head butting or marking a head button is always a red card. You can't argue such things away.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1368
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 9:09:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Here they thought it was a sending off. Although they argued about how much he was provoked. But head butting or marking a head button is always a red card. You can't argue such things away.
Warspite1

See edit - yes I've seen a replay and it was a butt.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1369
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 9:17:09 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Warspite1

Goodie! We agree on something. That calls for a cup of tea.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1370
RE: European Championships - 2/27/2014 9:26:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Warspite1

Goodie! We agree on something. That calls for a cup of tea.
Warspite1

Excellent idea

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/27/2014 10:27:47 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1371
RE: European Championships - 3/1/2014 12:43:36 PM   
warspite1

A question for any German forumites (or anyone that actually knows the answer). Why do so many German football clubs have the year of their founding in their name?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1372
RE: European Championships - 3/1/2014 6:56:27 PM   
rodney727

I tried looking this up but couldn't really find an answer but my guess is to show (with pride) when they started paying.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1373
RE: European Championships - 3/1/2014 7:15:20 PM   
warspite1

Its seems strange that no other clubs (that I'm aware of) do this. Its very common to have the date of founding in the club badge - but not in the name - unless you're German.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 1374
RE: European Championships - 3/1/2014 11:15:46 PM   
rodney727

So I'm trying to understand soccer and like I have said enjoy watching America play in the World Cup, so I decided to start with the UK, did some reseach and what I really like is this, if you are from a lower division you can play your way up to the first tier? Also doing some research on the German leauge, why is there no team from Berlin?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1375
RE: European Championships - 3/1/2014 11:37:38 PM   
Frido1207

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727
Also doing some research on the German leauge, why is there no team from Berlin?

There is: Hertha BSC.
http://www.herthabsc.de/

Promotion and relegation are common in Europe soccer leagues.
Sometimes the fight against relegation creates more drama than the fight for the championship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd2vffUhSXg (Sorry its in German)

< Message edited by th1207 -- 3/2/2014 12:49:12 AM >

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 1376
RE: European Championships - 3/1/2014 11:57:14 PM   
rodney727

OK! Thank you for the links. Do the best teams in Germany ever play the best teams form other countries like the UK, France or Spain? I'm not talking about National teams.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Frido1207)
Post #: 1377
RE: European Championships - 3/2/2014 5:55:05 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

OK! Thank you for the links. Do the best teams in Germany ever play the best teams form other countries like the UK, France or Spain? I'm not talking about National teams.
warspite1

Yes they do. Since the late 50's (iirc) there has been European competition in addition to domestic league and cup competitions. The European club competitions are played during the domestic season (there are some countries whose season is different because of their location and the weather, but most European seasons run from August - May (give or take).

These competitions have gone through a few different guises but essentially (and allowing for a few name changes) you had:

European Cup

This was a competition for the Champions of the top division of each European League (+ the winner could defend their title, even if not that seasons domestic winner). E.g. Nottingham Forest only one the English league championship once (1978) but have won the European Cup twice (1979 and 1980) as they were allowed to defend their 79 triumph. It was when flying back from a European Cup semi-final in Belgrade in 1958 that the Manchester United air crash happened. They stopped off in Munich and while trying to take off in snowy conditions, they crashed, killing most of the glorious "Busby Babes" team. It is highly likely that Manchester United would have been the dominant force in European soccer had that not happened.

Real Madrid (Spain) were the main winners in the early years and then a number of teams had periods of dominance in the late 60's and early 70's - Ajax (Holland) Inter Milan (Italy) and Bayern Munich (Germany). Scotland's Celtic were the first British team to win the trophy (1967) and England's Manchester United won it a year later. In the late 70's and 80's, English teams dominated - Liverpool, Forest and Aston Villa.

European Cup Winners Cup

This was a competition for the winners of the main domestic cup. Tottenham Hotspur were the first English winners of this or any European trophy in 1963 (beating Atletico Madrid 5-1 in Rotterdam). A host of British clubs won this trophy.

Inter City Fairs Cup / UEFA cup

This was a competition for the best placed clubs in the domestic leagues, beginning with the runners-up. How many places were available for each country depended on the strength of the domestic league, but typically 3-4 for the bigger countries.

You could only appear in one competition and so if you won the cup and league, you played in the European Cup and the runners up in the cup played in the Cup Winners Cup. If you were one of the high finishers in the league, but won the cup, you played in the Cup Winners Cup and the club that finished in the next place down went into the ICFC/UEFA Cup.

Champions League

Money talks as they say, and in more recent time (early 90's?) they got rid of the European Cup and replaced it with the Champion League. This is the premier European Competition and is where the big bucks are. You no longer have to be the winner of your league to play in it - Top countries like England, Spain etc get their top 4 teams enter. The money is so big here that getting into the top 4 in England is seen as absolutely vital to financial success.

Europa League

The Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup no longer exist either and have been replaced with this secondary competition. ALL European football used to be played on a Wednesday night. Now, because of TV and money, the Champions League games are played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and the Europa League is relegated to a Thursday (which does not help its popularity with managers who have a domestic game at the weekend).

The Europa League is badly maligned which is a real shame. Its a top competition and any winner has to beat top class opposition. Its a shame that so many English clubs do not take it as seriously as they should.

Anyway, I hope that potted history is helpful.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 1378
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 4:36:35 PM   
warspite1

Either Hull City or Sheffield United will be in the FA Cup Final

Hull City have never been in the final and Sheffield United are from League 1. Neither likely to win as they will face Arsenal or Manchester City in that Final, but you never know……..

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1379
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 6:04:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Either Hull City or Sheffield United will be in the FA Cup Final

Hull City have never been in the final and Sheffield United are from League 1. Neither likely to win as they will face Arsenal or Manchester City in that Final, but you never know……..
warspite1

Hold the phone!!!

Manchester City 1-2 Wigan Athletic. WHAT A GAME!!

I should not want that result as it means Arsenal are clear favourites for the cup. But for the moment I'll just enjoy a bit of FA Cup magic…..

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1380
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI