Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 6:15:29 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Either Hull City or Sheffield United will be in the FA Cup Final

Hull City have never been in the final and Sheffield United are from League 1. Neither likely to win as they will face Arsenal or Manchester City in that Final, but you never know……..
warspite1

Hold the phone!!!

Manchester City 1-2 Wigan Athletic. WHAT A GAME!!

I should not want that result as it means Arsenal are clear favourites for the cup. But for the moment I'll just enjoy a bit of FA Cup magic…..

Why didn't I watch this game.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1381
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 6:30:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

Either Hull City or Sheffield United will be in the FA Cup Final

Hull City have never been in the final and Sheffield United are from League 1. Neither likely to win as they will face Arsenal or Manchester City in that Final, but you never know……..
warspite1

Hold the phone!!!

Manchester City 1-2 Wigan Athletic. WHAT A GAME!!

I should not want that result as it means Arsenal are clear favourites for the cup. But for the moment I'll just enjoy a bit of FA Cup magic…..

Why didn't I watch this game.
warspite1

I know the feeling - I didn't watch the FA Cup Final last year because I could not bear to see Manchester City win the FA Cup.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1382
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 7:58:09 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727
So I'm trying to understand soccer and like I have said enjoy watching America play in the World Cup, so I decided to start with the UK, did some reseach and what I really like is this, if you are from a lower division you can play your way up to the first tier? Also doing some research on the German leauge, why is there no team from Berlin?

The Americans have really improved (compared to let's say 20 years ago). Now they look like a professional bunch. Defeating them is not a walk in the park anymore.

And that's a good thing about Football. You can have literally thousands of teams. You could create your own team (with your mates etc.) and eventually make it to the top. Well, basically impossible in the real world, but technically it could happen (if you pour millions and then more millions).

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 1383
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 8:09:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

So I'm trying to understand soccer and like I have said enjoy watching America play in the World Cup, so I decided to start with the UK, did some reseach and what I really like is this, if you are from a lower division you can play your way up to the first tier? Also doing some research on the German leauge, why is there no team from Berlin?

The Americans have really improved (compared to let's say 20 years ago). Now they look like a professional bunch. Defeating them is not a walk in the park anymore.

And that's a good thing about Football. You can have literally thousands of teams. You could create your own team (with your mates etc.) and eventually make it to the top. Well, basically impossible in the real world, but technically it could happen (if you pour millions and then more millions).
warspite1

Not in Platini's brave new world....

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1384
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 8:22:41 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Platini would not pay attention to Drunk Mates UTD whilst they make it to the tops (the ladder they might eventually climb... in the Twilight Zone eh...). Once they get there, that's another story. Still, I don't believe in Football Conspiracy Theories. Usually fueled by the losing sides

I always say the same: have you got evidences, documents? Yes? Then call the cops...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1385
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 8:37:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Platini would not pay attention to Drunk Mates UTD whilst they make it to the tops (the ladder they might eventually climb... in the Twilight Zone eh...). Once they get there, that's another story. Still, I don't believe in Football Conspiracy Theories. Usually fueled by the losing sides

I always say the same: have you got evidences, documents? Yes? Then call the cops...
warspite1

Eh? You call the cops if something illegal is going down. Platini is doing nothing illegal. He is trying to do what is right for football. I happen to think the way he is going about this is wrong. YMMV as they say

Post #: 1386
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 8:38:52 PM   
Orm

If I see smoke and I smell smoke I do not wait to see the fire before I start to yell fire.

There were eventually five bids for the 2022 FIFA World Cup: Australia, Japan, Qatar, South Korea and the United States. The twenty-two member FIFA Executive Committee convened in Zürich on 2 December 2010 to vote to select the hosts of both tournaments.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup

I do not need to see documents to see the corruption.

BTW. Sweden is considered to small to host the World Cup.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 1387
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 9:09:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ah, you meant that "corruption"? I was thinking about fixed matches, bribed referees.

They are making lots of money ie World Cup in Qatar during the summer? Yes, just like everyone else; don't get me started, this is politics: austerity, save the banks with PUBLIC money aka socialize losses, screw the people... Nothing new here.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1388
RE: European Championships - 3/9/2014 9:17:32 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Talking about referees. I guess you already saw this legendary clown (from Belarus IIRC). Drunk as a skunk. He said all was due to a back injury. Official match. Liar!

Post #: 1389
RE: European Championships - 3/16/2014 8:13:52 AM   
Orm

quote:

Talking about referees. I guess you already saw this legendary clown (from Belarus IIRC). Drunk as a skunk. He said all was due to a back injury. Official match. Liar!

Thank you for sharing.

Post #: 1390
RE: European Championships - 3/16/2014 8:14:27 AM   
Orm

I noticed that José Mourinho had a good day at work yesterday.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1391
RE: European Championships - 3/16/2014 8:47:49 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I noticed that José Mourinho had a good day at work yesterday.
warspite1

Yes and it has totally $%^&&%$ up my fantasy team. I switched my captain to Hazard

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1392
RE: European Championships - 3/23/2014 9:27:18 AM   
warspite1

Wow! I have just read something I am struggling to take in. Apparently FIFA has said that teams at this years World Cup must be kitted out - top-to-toe - in the same colours At least this explains - but does not excuse - why Germany are wearing all white this year.

But this can't really be true can it?? So what colour would Brazil wear? What about Argentina's black shorts, England's blue shorts, France's red, white and blue????

What sort of nonsense is this? What moron thought it a good idea to get rid of years of history and tradition?

Pathetic.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/23/2014 10:48:17 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1393
RE: European Championships - 3/23/2014 9:58:22 AM   
Orm

quote:

Wow! I have just read something I am struggling to take in. Apparently FIFA has said that teams at this years World Cup must be kitted out - top-to-toe - in the same colours At least this explains - but does not excuse - why Germany are wearing all white this year.

But this can't really be true can it?? So what colour would Brazil wear? What about Argentina's black shorts, England's blue shorts, France's red, white and blue????

What sort of nonsense is this? What moron thought it a good idea to get rid of years of history and tradition?

Pathetic.

What do you expect of the people who placed the cup in Russia and then Qatar?

Those people are rich morons that in order to become richer take no consideration of history and tradition.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1394
RE: European Championships - 3/28/2014 1:02:51 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, the serious stuff will soon resume: Champions League Quarter-finals. In theory anything can happen but I suspect Bayern Munchen is one step ahead. If I had to choose a winner, they are the obvious choice. If anything, I pity the poor Manchester UTD. They're going to be utterly destroyed.

The strongest vs the weakest of the 8 teams.

And whilst we are at it...

#Moyesin

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1395
RE: European Championships - 3/28/2014 8:28:25 PM   
warspite1

So what do we think? How long will Manchester United give David Moyes?

Post #: 1396
RE: European Championships - 3/28/2014 10:11:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

So what do we think? How long will Manchester United give David Moyes?

This I don't know. I love these football scandals by the way.

I just know the club is a fallen tree right now. And two decades of hegemony earn you lots of enemies, there's no way you can avoid that. Not to mention that many times the winners tend to be err, arrogant.

It's funny how all those enemies (rivals in fact, possibly all the other teams of the league) want Moyes to stay LOL

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1397
RE: European Championships - 3/30/2014 6:42:01 AM   
Orm

Bale scored a nice goal yesterday. He got the ball just outside the own penalty area and ran across the pitch and scored. Just amazing goal.

But he would never have been allowed to do that in The Premier League. I even doubt he would have been allowed to do it in the Swedish league.

Post #: 1398
RE: European Championships - 4/2/2014 8:59:25 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Alright then, all matches finished.

Yesterday:

Barcelona 1 - 1 Atletico de Madrid
Manchester United 1 - 1 Bayern Munchen

Today

Paris Saint Germain 3 - 1 Chelsea YES!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA! In your face, Moaninho!!!
Real Madrid 3 - 0 Borussia Dortmund

Needless to say, those who scored away have indeed a small advantage (Atletico de Madrid and Bayern Munchen). Only Real Madrid seems they might bag it. But you never know. I just hope Chelsea does not make it to the semi-finals LOL

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1399
RE: European Championships - 4/2/2014 9:53:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Mourinho's last show... threatening a child

"I don't like the ball boys provocating the players because at the end of the day, what happens last year at Swansea when a player lose a little bit his temper [Hazard kicked a ball kid] and after that the player is guilty of something that (a)he is not guilty. So I think (b)it's something not right to educate kids to do that."

So this is what this vile, mean clown is in fact thinking (no doubt), saying:

(a) an adult punching a child is ok, move on
and
(b) er... it's the parents's fault if that might happen!

In fact, just insert the words *miniskirt* and *rape* and there we go...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1400
RE: European Championships - 4/5/2014 5:56:03 AM   
warspite1

So, who will win the Premier League? We are entering the home straight and there are still 3 (maybe 4) in with a chance.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City or Arsenal?

Personally I would like to see Liverpool win it - A young British manager with a core of English players - Gerrard, Sturridge, Flanagan, Henderson, Johnson, Sterling. Good to see for a change.

Post #: 1401
RE: European Championships - 4/5/2014 4:58:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I too hope Liverpool bags it (that's the team I always supported in the English league, since I was a kid in the early 80s).

I suspect Manchester City will eventually bag it though. But as long as the team of the dodgy Russian oligarch does not win no problem (nothing against the guy or the fans)... no wait... the fans wanted Mourinho, despite they knew very well (as everyone who follows football) what sort of person this guy is. So they deserve what's coming to them

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/5/2014 5:59:13 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1402
RE: European Championships - 4/6/2014 9:21:29 AM   
warspite1

Chelsea fans? That's a sore point with me...

I mean absolutely no disrespect to those fans who really did support Chelsea during the lean years - you know who you are and fair play , BUT...

There are so many Chelsea "fans" of my age group all of a sudden. Where did they come from? Anything to do with Abramovich's millions per chance and the club suddenly winning silverware?

Chelsea's average attendance in the early 80's? 12-13,000. What was Spurs average attendance when we were in Division 2? Over 30,000.

Sorry, but changing your football team is a no no....

Post #: 1403
RE: European Championships - 4/9/2014 3:09:32 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Yesterday:

Today

Paris Saint Germain 3 - 1 Chelsea YES!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA! In your face, Moaninho!!!

Needless to say, those who scored away have indeed a small advantage (Atletico de Madrid and Bayern Munchen). Only Real Madrid seems they might bag it. But you never know. I just hope Chelsea does not make it to the semi-finals LOL
warspite1

I guess you are not too happy this morning?

Post #: 1404
RE: European Championships - 4/9/2014 6:22:28 AM   
rodney727

Thank you yes it helped!
quote:

quote:

OK! Thank you for the links. Do the best teams in Germany ever play the best teams form other countries like the UK, France or Spain? I'm not talking about National teams.
warspite1

Yes they do. Since the late 50's (iirc) there has been European competition in addition to domestic league and cup competitions. The European club competitions are played during the domestic season (there are some countries whose season is different because of their location and the weather, but most European seasons run from August - May (give or take).

These competitions have gone through a few different guises but essentially (and allowing for a few name changes) you had:

European Cup

This was a competition for the Champions of the top division of each European League (+ the winner could defend their title, even if not that seasons domestic winner). E.g. Nottingham Forest only one the English league championship once (1978) but have won the European Cup twice (1979 and 1980) as they were allowed to defend their 79 triumph. It was when flying back from a European Cup semi-final in Belgrade in 1958 that the Manchester United air crash happened. They stopped off in Munich and while trying to take off in snowy conditions, they crashed, killing most of the glorious "Busby Babes" team. It is highly likely that Manchester United would have been the dominant force in European soccer had that not happened.

Real Madrid (Spain) were the main winners in the early years and then a number of teams had periods of dominance in the late 60's and early 70's - Ajax (Holland) Inter Milan (Italy) and Bayern Munich (Germany). Scotland's Celtic were the first British team to win the trophy (1967) and England's Manchester United won it a year later. In the late 70's and 80's, English teams dominated - Liverpool, Forest and Aston Villa.

European Cup Winners Cup

This was a competition for the winners of the main domestic cup. Tottenham Hotspur were the first English winners of this or any European trophy in 1963 (beating Atletico Madrid 5-1 in Rotterdam). A host of British clubs won this trophy.

Inter City Fairs Cup / UEFA cup

This was a competition for the best placed clubs in the domestic leagues, beginning with the runners-up. How many places were available for each country depended on the strength of the domestic league, but typically 3-4 for the bigger countries.

You could only appear in one competition and so if you won the cup and league, you played in the European Cup and the runners up in the cup played in the Cup Winners Cup. If you were one of the high finishers in the league, but won the cup, you played in the Cup Winners Cup and the club that finished in the next place down went into the ICFC/UEFA Cup.

Champions League

Money talks as they say, and in more recent time (early 90's?) they got rid of the European Cup and replaced it with the Champion League. This is the premier European Competition and is where the big bucks are. You no longer have to be the winner of your league to play in it - Top countries like England, Spain etc get their top 4 teams enter. The money is so big here that getting into the top 4 in England is seen as absolutely vital to financial success.

Europa League

The Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup no longer exist either and have been replaced with this secondary competition. ALL European football used to be played on a Wednesday night. Now, because of TV and money, the Champions League games are played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and the Europa League is relegated to a Thursday (which does not help its popularity with managers who have a domestic game at the weekend).

The Europa League is badly maligned which is a real shame. Its a top competition and any winner has to beat top class opposition. Its a shame that so many English clubs do not take it as seriously as they should.

Anyway, I hope that potted history is helpful.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1405
RE: European Championships - 4/9/2014 2:19:11 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

Yesterday:

Today

warspite1

I was "not too happy" last night

But today I am looking on the bright side Let's imagine Bayern and Barcelona make it... I trust these two teams... They should humiliate the blues (or maybe Mourinho will be facing his old team: Real Madrid). Either way, they must be humiliated. I have spoken!

Those who say Mourinho is a great coach make me laugh. He has mega expensive teams and yet plays as a small team: defensive, counter-attack. Great squads are generous and always attack. That's the mark of the great.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1406
RE: European Championships - 4/10/2014 1:21:19 AM   
rodney727

As a soccer fan why are you happy with a 1-1 tie? I would like soccer much more if there was a sudden death or something along that lines. I watched US vs Mexico and while it was just so called a friendly game it ended in a 2-2 tie. Disappointed I can't be the only person who feels this way or am I?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 1407
RE: European Championships - 4/10/2014 4:13:50 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yesterday:

Today

warspite1

I was "not too happy" last night

But today I am looking on the bright side Let's imagine Bayern and Barcelona make it... I trust these two teams... They should humiliate the blues (or maybe Mourinho will be facing his old team: Real Madrid). Either way, they must be humiliated. I have spoken!

Those who say Mourinho is a great coach make me laugh. He has mega expensive teams and yet plays as a small team: defensive, counter-attack. Great squads are generous and always attack. That's the mark of the great.
warspite1

I find Mourinho irritating - extremely so this season, but I do not understand how he can be said to be "not a great coach". Look at what he has won. So many titles in many countries - he has never been beaten at Stamford Bridge! Having an expensively assembled squad is no guarantee of success.

Looks like your trust in Barca was misplaced too

Post #: 1408
RE: European Championships - 4/10/2014 4:14:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

As a soccer fan why are you happy with a 1-1 tie? I would like soccer much more if there was a sudden death or something along that lines. I watched US vs Mexico and while it was just so called a friendly game it ended in a 2-2 tie. Disappointed I can't be the only person who feels this way or am I?
warspite1

Yes.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 1409
RE: European Championships - 4/10/2014 3:55:25 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Goals are not everything. You can have both an excellent, entertaining game and few or no goals. Most of us football fans would love to see 4 - 4 or 5 - 4 results, true, because this means the game was crazy and both teams were attacking, attacking and then attacking You can hardly see this generosity nowadays. Pre WW2 there were MANY goals in football games for example (they played with 4, 5 or 6 attackers LOL).

quote:

I find Mourinho irritating - extremely so this season, but I do not understand how he can be said to be "not a great coach". Look at what he has won. So many titles in many countries - he has never been beaten at Stamford Bridge! Having an expensively assembled squad is no guarantee of success.

For starters, having great, world-class players is like err... the 80% of the job done... To Mourinho it's the 0% because when he wins it's always - and I mean ALWAYS- "I won x, I won y, I won z...". On the other hand, when he loses it is never -and I mean NEVER- his fault. It's the referee's or his players's fault (or some other conspiracy).

Having said that, Mourinho only trains big mega expensive teams (except his first Porto). He's said more than once that he would never train "mediocre" teams.

So he's got the caviar (world-class players) but he still plays as if he was in charge of let's say Fulham. This alone does not make him a great coach on my book, sorry. And I concede I might be wrong. In other words, he has nothing to offer to football. Nothing new (the Italians already invented the catenaccio), nothing revolutionary.

Oh yes, he is the prefered coach of the mega-millionaires. "Gimme your world class players, they will be playing like a small team (forget a beautiful spectacle), I'll give (with my behaviour) a bad name to your club, I'll poke other coaches in the eye, I will threaten kids..."

Sooner or later he is going to run out of these great squads... and that day he will finally disappear from the map. And that will be great news for football

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 1410
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI