Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 5/5/2014 5:53:40 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

And just for the record, a 0 - 0 draw at home vs a team from the relegation zone. As I told you, this is what happens when you put all your money on defence. It may seem I'm trolling, eh, but there's some rational analysis after all (no crystal ball eh)
warspite1

...whereas Real Madrid at home to Mid-table Valencia.... Atletico slipped up earlier in the day giving Real a great chance to snatch back La Liga and........what happened next?

BTW, I don't know where the word trolling came from - we are just having a robust football debate. It's fun - not trolling.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1531
RE: European Championships - 5/5/2014 9:29:24 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

And just for the record, a 0 - 0 draw at home vs a team from the relegation zone. As I told you, this is what happens when you put all your money on defence. It may seem I'm trolling, eh, but there's some rational analysis after all (no crystal ball eh)
warspite1

...whereas Real Madrid at home to Mid-table Valencia.... Atletico slipped up earlier in the day giving Real a great chance to snatch back La Liga and........what happened next?

BTW, I don't know where the word trolling came from - we are just having a robust football debate. It's fun - not trolling.

If we have to compare, the closest team is Atletico (they also park the bus sometimes). But they still manage to elaborate offensive football when required

The point here is, the opponents park the bus (as Norwich did, and rightly so), now imagine a random Chelsea player: "ok, we have the ball, now what are we going to do? ". The coach hasn't told them what to do: creativity, imagination is not part of the plan. It's some sort of annoying insect.

That's why strikers are vital in Mourinho's squads. His wet dream: a guy (let's say a Drogba) who will grab a header and then score (let's say 1/35 ergo 34/35 are intercepted by the defenders, now that's an exciting, sophisticated football match ).

It may be interesting to note what happened to Argentina in the last WC. They had a Messi on fire... But suffice to say that their brain, engine aka creative player was Mascherano (a destructive midfielder though). In the end they were destroyed by Germany 4 - 0 IIRC.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1532
RE: European Championships - 5/6/2014 7:38:50 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Maybe we should be reading this book

Soccernomics

"Why do England lose? Why does Scotland suck? Why doesn't America dominate the sport internationally. . .and why do the Germans play with such an efficient but robotic style?

These are questions every soccer aficionado has asked. Soccernomics answers them
."

Post #: 1533
RE: European Championships - 5/8/2014 2:07:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Are you suggesting a top manager falling out with players is exclusive to Mourinho? Look at Ferguson, look at van Gaal to name but two....
warspite1

....oh and look what's happening with Guardiola and Bayern Munich!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1534
RE: European Championships - 5/8/2014 7:17:32 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

The situation at Bayern is rather funny

The guy who hired Guardiola (The Uber Boss Hoeness that is), in prison (a crook, tax evasion) His Second-in-Command Beckenbauer started to rant against the coach (Guardiola). Then Rummenigge (Third-in-Command?) defended the coach...

Goes to show football is a mad circus. It is. I mean, if this happens in a serious, successful team, imagine what's going on in other unstable, poor teams.

By the way, I love these scandals Did I mention if before?

But anyways, Guardiola never said he was the best coach in the world. And he's delivered after all: 1 league. And oh, he does not park the bus. He believes in offensive football.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1535
RE: European Championships - 5/10/2014 5:02:58 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

The guy who hired Guardiola (The Uber Boss Hoeness that is), in prison (a crook, tax evasion) His Second-in-Command Beckenbauer started to rant against the coach (Guardiola). Then Rummenigge (Third-in-Command?) defended the coach...

Goes to show football is a mad circus. It is. I mean, if this happens in a serious, successful team, imagine what's going on in other unstable, poor teams.

But anyways, Guardiola never said he was the best coach in the world. And he's delivered after all: 1 league. And oh, he does not park the bus. He believes in offensive football.
warspite1

He's delivered??? Seriously???

It is rare for Bayern NOT to win the League - hell, at least in Spain its a TWO (currently THREE)-horse race .

Last year Bayern blew away the opposition in the Champions League. What was it? Bayern Munich 7(Seven) - 0(nil) Barcelona in the semi-finals before beating Dortmund in the final.

So, what happened this year? You have given Mourinho no credit whatsoever for taking Inter Milan to the next level (from domestic champions to champions of Europe), but you give Guardiola kudos for making Bayern worse and falling out with all his players just because he plays shexy football.....

Post #: 1536
RE: European Championships - 5/10/2014 3:04:18 PM   
shunwick

World Cup predictions...

I'm in.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1537
RE: European Championships - 5/10/2014 9:19:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

He's delivered??? Seriously???

It is rare for Bayern NOT to win the League - hell, at least in Spain its a TWO (currently THREE)-horse race .

Last year Bayern blew away the opposition in the Champions League. What was it? Bayern Munich 7(Seven) - 0(nil) Barcelona in the semi-finals before beating Dortmund in the final.

So, what happened this year? You have given Mourinho no credit whatsoever for taking Inter Milan to the next level (from domestic champions to champions of Europe), but you give Guardiola kudos for making Bayern worse and falling out with all his players just because he plays shexy football.....

He has delivered (to Bayern his past does not matter I guess): one year, one possible Bundesliga Title = taken. Which makes 1/1 (or 1/2 counting the Champions League) Yes, millionaire team obviously... just like Mourinho's teams: 0/2 titles in this his new English adventure (last 4 years global: now yes officially 1/8... looks like his recipe is NOT working anymore eh he he)

It was said (a rumour I guess) that Chelsea's first choice was Guardiola. And given that the Russian Oligarch had sacked Mourinho precisely because of the miserable small team football, he still hired him again... Double ration of parking the bus for tovarich, please!

A: "Ah, but you assured me you would bring titles with your cheap tactics"
M: "There is a huge conspiracy against me: referees, Platini, I trusted the players but they failed me... er... I'm too good for you! Are you sure you deserve me?"

A great team (Inter) that ends up playing with their striker as a left-back does NOT impress me. No, sir. I don't buy the "win at all cost" thing sorry. I respect much more the Holland side trashed on the 70s or Brazil in 82. Losers, yes, but in the end immortals (to true football fans). And I'm sure you're one of them as I remember very well how you praised the Dutch teams (old WC or EC threads).

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/10/2014 10:38:04 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1538
RE: European Championships - 5/11/2014 11:09:24 AM   
british exil

It does not really matter who Bayern have as a coach. They seem to dominate the Bundesliga. 51 years Bundesliga 24 titles.http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Bayern_M%C3%BCnchen
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/timeline/7f5d192b20f199533572b9634934cd7d.png
The page is in german, but the info and charts can be understood by non german speakers.
The english version does not have all the info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Bayern_Munich

By the way if Bayern are in third place during a season, real panic breaks out. The media are always reporting about scandels of players, mostly hyped. The team captain (Lahm) publicly verbally attacks the team/ coach 2011/2013. In the Winter period new players are always bought, they say they have bad players. All of their players play for their National teams. U17 - seniors. So the quality is there.
I often feel that a monkey could train Bayern, the players already know how to play, they have the skill. A good trainer just seems to bring the players together.

I feel a good coach can make a bad team play better, not to win titles, but to improve in their league standings.

Mat

< Message edited by british exil -- 5/11/2014 12:23:45 PM >

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Post #: 1539
RE: European Championships - 5/17/2014 5:08:01 AM   
warspite1

Football season over blues

Its the FA Cup this afternoon, Should be looking forward to this great day in the English sporting calendar, but the thought of Arsenal winning a trophy turns my stomach

COME ON YOU TIGERS!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/17/2014 6:09:31 AM >

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 1540
RE: European Championships - 5/17/2014 9:50:59 AM   
Orm

quote:

At least you have England taking part in the World Cup.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1541
RE: European Championships - 5/17/2014 12:09:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

At least you have England taking part in the World Cup.
warspite1

I suspect we will wish we weren't after the first group game, and will have our wish come true after the second. The third will then be a dead game.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1542
RE: European Championships - 5/19/2014 6:57:27 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I need some help

It's about the Scudamore guy scandal. The guy is taking a lot of flak but I could not manage to read what started the whole thing: the raunchy emails apparently

Anyways, this is hilarious and surreal. I guess the 90% of the males send each other ultra sexist emails... and I guess the 90% of the females exchange emails in which the men are basically pigs, soooo... what am I missing exactly?

So any generous soul out there willing to provide a nice link?

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/19/2014 7:59:33 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1543
RE: European Championships - 5/19/2014 7:10:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I need some help

It's about the Scudamore guy scandal. The guy is taking a lot of flak but I could not manage to read what started the whole thing: the raunchy emails apparently

Anyways, this is hilarious and surreal. I guess the 90% of the males send each other ultra sexist emails... and I guess the 90% of the females exchange emails in which the men are basically pigs, soooo... what am I missing exactly?

warspite1

It was first reported in the Daily Mirror so you could try their website. I don't know exactly what he said, so can't comment.

Post #: 1544
RE: European Championships - 5/19/2014 8:26:37 PM   
Orm

quote:

I need some help

Could it be this article you are looking for?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/premier-league-boss-richard-scudamore-3524857

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 1545
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2014 4:30:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Thanks for the link. I had more or less found some articles but at least this one (the link) gives some *details*

Still I don't get it. These were supposed to be private emails. Again, I am pretty certain almost all of us have some spammer friend who regularly send these sort of raunchy emails.

Like one year ago there was a similar anecdote (and I think I had read it here on the General Discussion place thing). Some guy related to American football had CCed spicy emails to his friends' group (again, what most of the males do). The problem was he had picked the wrong group It was not his Friends' Group" but "Job's Group". A fatal mistake: looks like some US sport authorities, congressmen and / or senators, journalists got that stuff...

Social suicide that is

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1546
RE: European Championships - 5/24/2014 5:35:59 PM   
warspite1

Good luck to Gareth Bale tonight. Hope he scores the winner

Post #: 1547
RE: European Championships - 5/24/2014 7:38:44 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Half time

Real Madrid 0 - 1 Atlético de Madrid

Yes!! Let's hope the low budget (are you there, Mourinho? ), poor kid defeats the rich kid with a mega budget.

And this without parking the bus... so far If they get (0 - 1) to let's say minute 70 or 80 and park it, then that I fully understand it. Glory is awaiting them.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1548
RE: European Championships - 5/24/2014 9:29:50 PM   
warspite1

Well done Gareth Bale - not his greatest game but he did score what was effectively the winner!!

You've done Wales proud - really pleased for you

Post #: 1549
RE: European Championships - 5/24/2014 9:31:25 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

World Cup predictions...

I'm in.

Best wishes,
Steve

Go Italy!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 1550
RE: European Championships - 5/24/2014 9:33:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Well done Gareth Bale - not his greatest game but he did score what was effectively the winner!!

You've done Wales proud - really pleased for you
warspite1

Sorry, also meant to say hard luck Atletico, at least you won La Liga

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1551
RE: European Championships - 5/25/2014 6:46:00 PM   
warspite1

Leyton Orient 2-0 up and lost on pens AET....

Congrats to Rotherham though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1552
RE: European Championships - 5/27/2014 7:28:24 PM   
warspite1

So Spurs appoint their 103rd manager in the last 10 years........

Yet another gamble by Danel Levy - we really needed someone proven I think.

But good luck to Mauricio Pochettino - not sure how many of our best players will still be at the Lane next season - but maybe he can persuade a few to stay.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1553
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2014 9:55:52 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Psst, Warspite, here's Stephen Hawking's advice for England on the next World Cup. "Red shirts, low altitude and 4-3-3 formation as winning factors in previous World Cups"

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/may/28/stephen-hawking-formulae-england-world-cup-success

What do you think? Has he been sniffing glue lately?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1554
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 8:25:28 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Psst, Warspite, here's Stephen Hawking's advice for England on the next World Cup. "Red shirts, low altitude and 4-3-3 formation as winning factors in previous World Cups"

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/may/28/stephen-hawking-formulae-england-world-cup-success

What do you think? Has he been sniffing glue lately?
warspite1

Don't know about the glue, but he probably doesn't know too much about football

If England play as they usually do in tournaments, we will be extremely lucky just to finish bottom of the group

We've got to hope that we just give it a go - no mucking, no messing, just all out attack, Liverpool styleee. Sure we may lose 5-0 doing that, but that's preferable to the shambles of Euro 2012 where we lost anyway and the main tactic was Hart hoofing it upfield to Andy Carroll.....

Post #: 1555
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 9:07:32 AM   
Orm

Why don't England consider "parking the bus" during the World Cup? Might be boring to watch but it might also bring results. But what do I know.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1556
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 9:11:23 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Why don't England consider "parking the bus" during the World Cup? Might be boring to watch but it might also bring results. But what do I know.
warspite1

I think that - unlike what some people believe - there is actually a skill to successfully "parking the bus". Not every team is capable of doing it. I certainly do not think England can with their defence.

So if we are going to lose anyway, then why not at least go out with a bang? i.e. at least TRY and play football and win a few friends along the way.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1557
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 9:22:12 AM   
Orm

I agree with the skill part. And it might be to late to pick players suited for it and to train it.

But do remember Euro 2004. Why should not England be able to do this as well...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1558
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 9:26:39 AM   
british exil

I think England tried to park the bus in the last world cup in South Africa, they just forgot to close the doors and windows. I have never seen a team get ripped apart in a tournament before. Yes I've seen Germany play against Saudi Arabia in 2002 8:0 (Korea/Japan) but England is a bit better than Saudi Arabia.

Just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1559
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 9:35:20 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

I think England tried to park the bus in the last world cup in South Africa, they just forgot to close the doors and windows. I have never seen a team get ripped apart in a tournament before. Yes I've seen Germany play against Saudi Arabia in 2002 8:0 (Korea/Japan) but England is a bit better than Saudi Arabia.

Just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Mat

Was that England parking the bus!?

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 1560
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI