Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 5/19/2012 11:21:05 PM   
nate25

How's that done? You can only edit your own stuff I think.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 181
RE: European Championships - 5/19/2012 11:22:40 PM   
warspite1

Of course I havent edited your post. I just quoted you and only kept the bit I was directly commenting on......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 182
RE: European Championships - 5/19/2012 11:27:12 PM   
nate25

Maybe he's deep in his cups, which I'm going to start working on now.

Chinese take away with Bushmills. Luvverly, as W1 would say.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 183
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 12:38:23 AM   
wodin

I meant "hey Warspite I just edited MY post" (I.e the post he was referring too of mine I just edited it. So he could read my comments on Chelsea spit). Blimey.

I fancy a Chinese..what you having?

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/20/2012 12:40:30 AM >

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 184
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 3:07:39 AM   
nate25

Almond chicken with steamed broccoli and carrots. And Guinness. And Bushmills.

And I'm steamed up. Pissed as a fart.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 185
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 3:10:30 AM   
nate25

Anybody home? I guees not.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 186
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 3:33:59 AM   
wodin

Still hungry. I started a food thread over at the other place cos you made me hungry.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 187
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 11:42:07 AM   
british exil

W1 sorry for your loss, Bayern were the better team. But it does feel good an english team beating a german team in penalties.

The German SKY team had 5 mods for the pre show (Ballack, Sammer) and they said 4:0 or 3:0 for Bayern. The others said it would be a draw and the penalties, the Bayern had no need for fear as they would beat "England" in the penalties.

The TV commentators (Effenberg) also mentioned that the penalties would not be a problem.

It was not a nice game to watch. 85min of one sided football. But if you get 20! corners or standard situations then you need to reap points.

Chealsea had 1 corner and used it. Luck? maybe. But I did see a repeat of Bayern vs Man U.

I just hope spurs don't land in the group with Hannover 96 (if they qualify), but looking forward to Europa 12/13.

Now we need just as much luck for the Euro Cup.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 188
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 12:44:16 PM   
wodin

Isn't just Mr W who is a Spurs fan. Hate Chelsea, any team that buy's success I've no time for at all. As soon as Abramovich (or whatever his name is) leaves the club will go down hill.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 189
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 2:05:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Isn't just Mr W who is a Spurs fan. Hate Chelsea, any team that buy's success I've no time for at all. As soon as Abramovich (or whatever his name is) leaves the club will go down hill.

Warspite1

Why? Under Abramovich Chelsea have a decent stadium (a little small compared to Arsenal and Man Utd, but bigger than ours - and the money to build a bigger one); 10 years of sustained success is creating a new, and growing fan base; consistent Champions League football should, with proper management, continue to ensure Chelsea remain in the forefront of the English game. The only unknown is the effect of UEFA's financial rule, but that will hit everyone.

History shows that nothing in football is forever, and nothing should be taken for granted; if you want proof of that ask yourself:

- Where are Preston North End, the first English double winners?
- Where are Huddersfield Town, the first winners of the old First Division THREE years running?
- Where are Sheffield Wednesday, four times champions and biggest club in one of Britain's largest cities?
- Where are Wolverhampton Wanderers? Multiple Champions and cup winners in the fifties?
- Where are Nottingham Forest? Double European Champions as late as 1980?
- Leeds United anybody?

One wrong managerial decision or one over-reaching financial transaction, and yes, slices of bad luck, have accounted for many, once great clubs over the years. Liverpool's next manager is the most important decision they will have made since Bill Shankly was appointed. Difficult for anyone around in the 70's and 80's to believe that Liverpool are in the position they are in now.

With player power, TV rights, the Champions League etc etc, being successful now is vital. We are possibly not too long away from a break-away European league.

Will Chelsea fall away just because Abramovich leaves? Maybe, maybe not...but no way is it that simple.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 190
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 2:24:26 PM   
wodin

With the new rules for European Championship coming into play over the next two or three years where your club can't be spending more than it earns on players believe me certain clubs will be in trouble.

Blackburn...Newcastle...all had rich owners who left...went from winning i.e Blackburn or at least in the top three of four to right back down the table as the owners left or stopped dishing out the money. Chelsea will never have the fanbase Man Utd or Liverpool have, no matter what they do, unless they have sustained success for another 10 years they might.

They where talking about City the other day. They spend way more than they earn and when the rules come in in the next two years if they haven't made dramatic increase in takings they'd be banned. If the rules where out now they wouldn't be allowed in the championship. They come in totally in 2014 i believe.

teams like Man U and Liverpool have such a big fanbase they still make more money even if they don't win anything. Liverpool made more than Man City this year!

It's the end of the sugar daddy and those teams that rely on them at last will be in trouble, no longer being bale to buy success with money the club doesn't even earn.

All those teams your talking about are pre the big money where money meant success, you just can't compare that to football today. If you have endless funds your team will win things at the moment, simple as that.

Even the most hardcore football fan will say success is really all about how much either your owner has or how much your owner has and how much the club makes. Whatever it's down to money. Players aren't loyal and greedy and will go to any club if they pay the wage they want. Chelsea and Man City being proof of this. The game is a mess compared to eyars ago. Hopefully this new rule will start to put things in order.

man City over the next two years have to have sustained success in the league and in Europe to hope of bringing in the money they need not to be banned from Europe in two years times.

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/20/2012 2:38:18 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 191
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 3:14:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

With the new rules for European Championship coming into play over the next two or three years where your club can't be spending more than it earns on players believe me certain clubs will be in trouble.

Blackburn...Newcastle...all had rich owners who left...went from winning i.e Blackburn or at least in the top three of four to right back down the table as the owners left or stopped dishing out the money. Chelsea will never have the fanbase Man Utd or Liverpool have, no matter what they do, unless they have sustained success for another 10 years they might.

They where talking about City the other day. They spend way more than they earn and when the rules come in in the next two years if they haven't made dramatic increase in takings they'd be banned. If the rules where out now they wouldn't be allowed in the championship. They come in totally in 2014 i believe.

teams like Man U and Liverpool have such a big fanbase they still make more money even if they don't win anything. Liverpool made more than Man City this year!

It's the end of the sugar daddy and those teams that rely on them at last will be in trouble, no longer being bale to buy success with money the club doesn't even earn.

All those teams your talking about are pre the big money where money meant success, you just can't compare that to football today. If you have endless funds your team will win things at the moment, simple as that.

Even the most hardcore football fan will say success is really all about how much either your owner has or how much your owner has and how much the club makes. Whatever it's down to money. Players aren't loyal and greedy and will go to any club if they pay the wage they want. Chelsea and Man City being proof of this. The game is a mess compared to eyars ago. Hopefully this new rule will start to put things in order.

man City over the next two years have to have sustained success in the league and in Europe to hope of bringing in the money they need not to be banned from Europe in two years times.
Warspite1

quote:

Do you believe that the Arabs that invested in Manchester City have ignored the Fair Play rules? I suspect they have a plan. One of which is to build their squad up before the rules come into play, qualify for the Champions League and then, on the back of success, they can increase ticket prices.

quote:

Blackburn...Newcastle...all had rich owners who left...went from winning i.e Blackburn or at least in the top three of four to right back down the table as the owners left or stopped dishing out the money.

Blackburn is completely different to Newcastle. Blackburn won the league courtesy of the late Jack Walker but their fanbase, ground size etc mean that sustained success - without further spending was never likely. Newcastle just overspent - as loads of clubs do from time to time - but they have a huge fanbase and recovered.

quote:

Chelsea will never have the fanbase Man Utd or Liverpool have, no matter what they do, unless they have sustained success for another 10 years they might.

I think you answered the point in the second part of the sentence

quote:

Yes, Man U have a huge fanbase, as do Liverpool. The problem? Liverpool do not have the ground capacity to take advantage - and they are not in the Champions League so income is depressed and they have spent hugely last season and need those players to come through because there is not the money available for another huge transfer spend. Yes Liverpool's income was more than City (who were not in the Champions League at the time), but who has the best chance to increase income going forward? Not Liverpool...and whose squad would you rather have?

quote:

I think you're right (unless an Abramovich wanted to come to the Lane ). But the point is Chelsea and City have already benefitted - they have the momentum.

quote:

All those teams your talking about are pre the big money where money meant success, you just can't compare that to football today.

No, money has always talked and BS walked. In the thirties Huddersfield and Arsenal (both recently three time champions under Herbert Chapman) bought a stand. Arsenal paid £45,000 for their big, forward thinking one. Huddersfield? They bought a second hand one from Fleetwood Town.....

quote:

If you have endless funds your team will win things at the moment, simple as that.

Exactly my point - but provided you have employed the right manager and bought wisely.

quote:

Even the most hardcore football fan will say success is really all about how much either your owner has or how much your owner has and how much the club makes. Whatever it's down to money.

No. That money has to be spent wisely, there needs to be a plan - long term like Arsenal are building - not short term like Leeds United.

As a Tottenham fan I hope that the excesses of City and Chelsea can be curbed, but there is NO WAY their owners are stupid enough to see them banned from Europe by breaking the rules. They are in - we are out - I know where I would rather be at the moment - its advantage them.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/20/2012 3:16:11 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 192
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 6:33:54 PM   
undercovergeek

there isnt a chance in hell uefa are going to ban city, chelsea, barcelona, madrid, both milan clubs and juve from the champions league - all of which currently fall outside the new guidelines

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 193
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 6:36:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

there isnt a chance in hell uefa are going to ban city, chelsea, barcelona, madrid, both milan clubs and juve from the champions league - all of which currently fall outside the new guidelines
Warspite1

Quite. Uefa cannot make rules and have them broken obviously. But there are always ways and means...naming rights for a stadium for example.....

Plus of course, the rules themselves are not as draconian as they seem. There are various exceptions and periods of time to ease the pain, which will ensure these clubs can manage without a ban. I suspect only if a club wilfully ignores the rules without any attempt to meet the criteria would Uefa get tough - either that or if its by a small "expendable" club they can afford to get tough with

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/20/2012 6:47:00 PM >

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 194
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 6:47:30 PM   
wodin

quote:

Barca, Milan,Madrid and Juve can all fall in to the new regulations by cutting back abit and still have enough money to maintian the club due to the massive fanbase worldwide, City and maybe Chelsea don't. Tottenham earned more money the Man City even.

UEFA would give a stuff about City or even Chelsea, they would about Barca,Madrid,Milan and Juve.

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/20/2012 6:48:36 PM >

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 195
RE: European Championships - 5/20/2012 6:51:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Barca, Milan,Madrid and Juve can all fall in to the new regulations by cutting back abit and still have enough money to maintian the club due to the massive fanbase worldwide, City and maybe Chelsea don't. Tottenham earned more money the Man City even.
UEFA would give a stuff about City or even Chelsea, they would about Barca,Madrid,Milan and Juve.
Warspite1

Wodin where are you getting the numbers from? In 2010-11 Spurs earned just £10m more income than City - that includes our trip to the quarter-finals of the Champions League (which City were not in!!). For 2011-12 the numbers will be different in City's favour. For 2012-13 that difference will be much bigger still.....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 196
RE: European Championships - 5/22/2012 5:45:29 AM   
warspite1

So Orm, when does Swedish football actually stop for the Euros? I see there are games this week...

Roy Hodgson has been critisced for delaying the England players getting together - but when do the Swedes start preparing?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 197
RE: European Championships - 5/22/2012 9:20:09 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So Orm, when does Swedish football actually stop for the Euros? I see there are games this week...

Roy Hodgson has been critisced for delaying the England players getting together - but when do the Swedes start preparing?

Thursday is the last match before the Euros.

I had no idea when our national team begins their preparations. I actually assumed they had begun already but since you asked I decided to check and the team is getting together on Thursday.

Roy Hodgson will be criticized whatever he does. If he already begun the preparations your press would have complained that he begun to early. I seriously believe that they will be critical of what he does even if England wins the Euros.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 198
RE: European Championships - 5/22/2012 9:41:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I had no idea when our national team begins their preparations. I actually assumed they had begun already but since you asked I decided to check and the team is getting together on Thursday.

Roy Hodgson will be criticized whatever he does. If he already begun the preparations your press would have complained that he begun to early. I seriously believe that they will be critical of what he does even if England wins the Euros.
Warspite1

Yes, Yes, and I don't think that is a possibility we have to worry ourselves with

Where will you be watching the England vs Sweden game?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 199
RE: European Championships - 5/22/2012 10:00:57 PM   
Orm

I'll will watch most of the games. As many as time allows. I would be surprised if I missed any of Swedens games.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 200
RE: European Championships - 5/22/2012 10:32:14 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, Yes, and I don't think that is a possibility we have to worry ourselves with

Where will you be watching the England vs Sweden game?

I say that it is a possibility albeit not a huge one. Remember Greece.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 201
RE: European Championships - 5/25/2012 6:44:02 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Wodin where are you getting the numbers from? In 2010-11 Spurs earned just £10m more income than City - that includes our trip to the quarter-finals of the Champions League (which City were not in!!). For 2011-12 the numbers will be different in City's favour. For 2012-13 that difference will be much bigger still.....

According to a local newspaper Manchester City lost 197 million pounds last season. According to same news paper it is the largest loss in football history.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 202
RE: European Championships - 5/25/2012 6:53:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Barca, Milan,Madrid and Juve can all fall in to the new regulations by cutting back abit
and still have enough money to maintian the club due to the massive fanbase worldwide, City and maybe Chelsea don't. Tottenham earned more money the Man City even.

Warspite1

Wodin where are you getting the numbers from? In 2010-11 Spurs earned just £10m more income than City - that includes our trip to the quarter-finals of the Champions League (which City were not in!!). For 2011-12 the numbers will be different in City's
favour. For 2012-13 that difference will be much bigger still.....

According to a local newspaper Manchester City lost 197 million pounds last season. According to same news paper it is the largest loss in football history.
Warspite1

Yep - all part of the plan to build the squad ahead of the Uefa rules - nothing to do with income.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 203
RE: European Championships - 5/25/2012 6:53:57 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Barca, Milan,Madrid and Juve can all fall in to the new regulations by cutting back abit
and still have enough money to maintian the club due to the massive fanbase worldwide, City and maybe Chelsea don't. Tottenham earned more money the Man City even.

Warspite1

Wodin where are you getting the numbers from? In 2010-11 Spurs earned just £10m more income than City - that includes our trip to the quarter-finals of the Champions League (which City were not in!!). For 2011-12 the numbers will be different in City's
favour. For 2012-13 that difference will be much bigger still.....

Warspite1

Yep - all part of the plan to build the squad ahead of the Uefa rules - nothing to do with income.

Indeed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 204
RE: European Championships - 5/26/2012 7:51:07 PM   
warspite1

Norway vs England tonight - any other big games out there tonight?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 205
RE: European Championships - 5/26/2012 9:29:29 PM   
Orm

Nah.

Most were afternoon matches and are already completed. Noticable is that Switzerland beat Germany with 5-3.

< Message edited by Orm -- 5/26/2012 9:30:23 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 206
RE: European Championships - 5/26/2012 9:31:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Nah.

Most were afternoon matches and are already completed. Noticable is that Schweiz beat Germany with 5-3.
Warspite1

Bit of a shock - although I don't know what team the Germans put out. England are leading Norway, but boy, are we pedestrian.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 207
RE: European Championships - 5/26/2012 10:48:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Nah.

Most were afternoon matches and are already completed. Noticable is that Schweiz beat Germany with 5-3.
Warspite1

Bit of a shock - although I don't know what team the Germans put out. England are leading Norway, but boy, are we pedestrian.....
Warspite1

Sorry - did I say pedestrian? I meant $%^&

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 208
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2012 1:15:08 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

England are leading Norway, but boy, are we pedestrian.....
Warspite1

Sorry - did I say pedestrian? I meant $%^&

Warspite1-I don't follow your 'football' at all, but you've finally touched on a sentiment that I believe I concur with. As do all Americans.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 209
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI