Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 2:32:18 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100
At least you weren't wearing strange pink shirts when knocked out .... or have a manager who blames it all on genetics

Yeah. I read his remarks, and I couldn't believe he was being serious...
Maybe he was then...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2941
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 3:43:50 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

quote:

Bah, silly Norway

At least you weren't wearing strange pink shirts when knocked out .... or have a manager who blames it all on genetics

Ah, the silly part was beating Northern Ireland. What was the point in that? Our national team sincerely said that the matches against Azerbadjan were "really hard matches". If matches against Azerbadjan are considered hard, they have no place competing in a championship anyway, so I prefer better teams to go ahead.

But doesn't that team have to deserve the win? Apparently, this time, the better team was Norway.

And, in my humble opinion, winning against Azerbajdzjan isn't all that easy. Beating, for example, San Marino, or Gibraltar, is easy. Doing so against such teams as Azerbajdzjan takes effort and skill.

Norway, hopefully, is on the way up again. I hope that Norway is a serious challenger for the next Euro qualification tournament. And that Norway always lose against Sweden.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2942
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 4:25:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Your latest table seems better.

The previous table could not be right even though the date was a bit back. Sweden's latest match ( a few days ago) was against a team that didn't count (last placed Luxembourg). So Sweden only had one match left against a team that counted (Playing against Netherlands tomorrow). Therefore Sweden must have had 7 matches played that counted and not 6 as your table showed.

Sweden should have had 7 matches played before the Luxembourg win with 13 points on the table that I said was wrong and since that match doesn't count the stats could not have changed. Sweden should have had the same stats in both tables. And, to me, it looked like there were other errors as well.

warspite1

Well I am not here to defend UEFA's official website and the information they produce. Coming from the source it does, I think it reasonable to assume that they would have got the information correct. But if they haven't then I can only suggest you to take it up with them

That said, I still think it is correct at the time of publication. At that time (and before the demolition by Holland that massacred their goal difference even more, the bottom team was not Luxembourg, it was Belarus - whom Sweden had played twice. Holland's goal difference was +3 in that table - and is now +11 i.e. after the 8-0.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2943
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 4:33:31 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

Maybe he was then...

Worryingly he seems to have meant what he said ... on so many levels a truly depressing comment

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2944
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 4:39:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe he was then...

Worryingly he seems to have meant what he said ... on so many levels a truly depressing comment
warspite1

I'm pretty certain that Graham Taylor said something along those lines - although without mentioning genetics in fairness - when we lost to Norway. He complained that England lost because the Norwegians were bigger... yeah maybe... or maybe because he chose to play three centre backs at left back or some old nonsense.....

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2945
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 5:06:06 PM   
Orm

Warspite1, I surrender. I have forgotten that we only had a 1-0 win in the first game against Luxembourg. I was stumped by the low goal difference. So that made me look closer at the table and, obviously, I failed to consider that Belarus had the last spot at that point. I thought I saw other errors as well but I didn't examine them.

I am sorry about questioning your informative tables.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2946
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 5:07:12 PM   
Orm

I am not all that happy how the qualifying process are made to the World Cup. And I am not sure I will like the new qualifying system to the next Euros.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2947
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 5:07:59 PM   
shunwick

Every Premier League Fan in 90 Seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o00g6UYbN7A

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2948
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/9/2017 6:17:28 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe he was then...

warspite1

I'm pretty certain that Graham Taylor said something along those lines - although without mentioning genetics in fairness - when we lost to Norway. He complained that England lost because the Norwegians were bigger... yeah maybe... or maybe because he chose to play three centre backs at left back or some old nonsense.....

Problem is that straChan has been playing a natural left back at right back and not using Celtics right back. In truth we didn't deserve to be in contention at the end,,.. far too many lucky results. My fear is the SFA will use 'being close' as an excuse to avoid the serious reform that Scottish football needs

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2949
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2017 5:54:38 AM   
warspite1

And so qualifying is almost over. Assuming Holland find 7-0 impossible to achieve, France aren't going to go all 'Bulgaria 1993' against Belarus, and Greece don't find a way to not beat Gibraltar, then its only Portugal v Switzerland left of interest. Portugal have to win, the Swiss just need a draw. Best wishes for that one VP

Assuming the above comes to pass, and by some miracle Bosnia don't snatch the runners up spot in Group H, the play-offs are also decided in terms of who misses out - and that is Slovakia.

For British football, and Scotland and Wales, in particular its the usual coulda, woulda, shoulda....

As things have turned out, a win for Wales and Scotland would have seen them both in the play-offs - and Northern Ireland would have made it too - just.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2950
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2017 9:16:50 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

And so qualifying is almost over. Assuming Holland find 7-0 impossible to achieve, France aren't going to go all 'Bulgaria 1993' against Belarus, and Greece don't find a way to not beat Gibraltar, then its only Portugal v Switzerland left of interest. Portugal have to win, the Swiss just need a draw. Best wishes for that one VP

Thanks.
If they play as well as they have played against Andorra last Saturday (I know, I know, the pitch), a draw is coming.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2951
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2017 9:28:47 AM   
Tiger360

I can bet on it that they won't play as good as they have played against Andorra.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2952
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2017 9:47:56 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bah, silly Norway

Ah, the silly part was beating Northern Ireland. What was the point in that? Our national team sincerely said that the matches against Azerbadjan were "really hard matches". If matches against Azerbadjan are considered hard, they have no place competing in a championship anyway, so I prefer better teams to go ahead.

But doesn't that team have to deserve the win? Apparently, this time, the better team was Norway.

And, in my humble opinion, winning against Azerbajdzjan isn't all that easy. Beating, for example, San Marino, or Gibraltar, is easy. Doing so against such teams as Azerbajdzjan takes effort and skill.

1. Norway, hopefully, is on the way up again.
2. I hope that Norway is a serious challenger for the next Euro qualification tournament.
3. And that Norway always lose against Sweden.

1. Well, considering how low we were, it is hard to go lower
2. Not going to happen. Too many of our "star" players play in lower leagues in various leagues around Europe. Too few top league players overall. And our defensive line makes the Liverpool defense look rock solid.
3. Well, there is a saying in Norway. "It is not about winning, it is about beating the Swedes"

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2953
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2017 1:50:40 PM   
Orm

Since Iceland can do it, then Norway, and Sweden, should be able to do it.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2954
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2017 3:28:40 PM   
Tiger360

quote:

Since Iceland can do it, then Norway, and Sweden, should be able to do it.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2955
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/10/2017 7:12:42 PM   
warspite1

Holland 1-0 Sweden - the fightback begins

(in reply to Tiger360)
Post #: 2956
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 6:16:58 AM   
warspite1

So, World Cup qualifying enters its final stages in the coming months.

23 of the 32 qualifiers are known and perhaps the most notable absentees are Cameroon, Chile, Holland, and the United States.

Qualified
Russia, Germany, Brazil, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belgium, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, England, Nigeria, Poland, Egypt, Iceland, Serbia, France, Portugal, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Panama.

Argentina survived a massive scare to qualify out-right, and of the remaining issues to be settled Croatia, Italy, Ivory Coast and Sweden are perhaps the biggest potential casualties.

Europe
Four to qualify out of:
Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Sweden and Greece.

Africa
Three places up for grabs:
Tunisia or DR Congo
Morocco or Ivory Coast
Senegal, Burkina Faso or Cape Verde

Two play-off games make up the last two
Honduras (Concacaf) vs Australia (Asia)
Peru (South America) vs New Zealand (Oceania)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/11/2017 6:22:04 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2957
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 9:34:42 AM   
shunwick

Congratulations to Panama but ... what on earth have the USA been up to? Their qualifying campaign has been dreadful. Worrying...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 10/11/2017 9:35:31 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2958
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 10:25:40 AM   
Orm

Panama got lucky. Sad to see that 'incident' close to the goal line be awarded as a goal.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2959
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 6:00:42 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Panama got lucky. Sad to see that 'incident' close to the goal line be awarded as a goal.

The chap who was trying to head the ball across the line was having his shorts pulled off by the defender. So maybe not a goal but a good shout for a penalty. And things always happen like that in football. We all remember the Hand of God that bore an uncanny resemblance to the hand of Maradonna.

Here's some of the US reaction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFh729L2oA

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2960
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 8:07:07 PM   
Chickenboy

A shocker yesterday for the US Men's team against Trinidad and Tobago.

I recall a discussion on this forum a year or two ago with some that saw the explosive popularity of American FIFA or other league soccer in this country. I told them they were off their nut and that soccer always had been and was-for the foreseeable future-an afterthought in the US sporting world consciousness.

This comical loss will set American FIFA efforts and interest back 20 years. It's a disaster for those that invested heavily in the sport in this country. It portends further ill descending on the sport here.

So, enjoy Russia, comrades!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2961
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 8:46:48 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

The chap who was trying to head the ball across the line was having his shorts pulled off by the defender. So maybe not a goal but a good shout for a penalty. And things always happen like that in football. We all remember the Hand of God that bore an uncanny resemblance to the hand of Maradonna.

Here's some of the US reaction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgFh729L2oA

Best wishes,
Steve

That crap happened before doesn't make me like crap better now. I do expect better from a referee team. However, my main disappointment is because another reason. Why wasn't there some sort of technical aid to tell the referees it wasn't. I thought football, at this level. was better than that by now.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2962
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 8:47:50 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I recall a discussion on this forum a year or two ago with some that saw the explosive popularity of American FIFA or other league soccer in this country. I told them they were off their nut and that soccer always had been and was-for the foreseeable future-an afterthought in the US sporting world consciousness.

This comical loss will set American FIFA efforts and interest back 20 years. It's a disaster for those that invested heavily in the sport in this country. It portends further ill descending on the sport here.

And I predict that this will only make football stronger in USA. You just wait a year and we will see.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2963
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 8:54:48 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

And I predict that this will only make football stronger in USA. You just wait a year and we will see.

You mean womans soccer in the US.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2964
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 9:08:51 PM   
Orm

Nope. When I say football I mean football.

Edit: Real football. Not that American stuff where you use the hands almost all the time.

< Message edited by Orm -- 10/11/2017 9:09:46 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2965
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 9:33:03 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Nope. When I say football I mean football.

Edit: Real football. Not that American stuff where you use the hands almost all the time.

I say football because 'sock-her' has unfortunate connotations.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2966
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/11/2017 9:58:51 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

It's just a question of time, sooner or later, you'll see the light!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2967
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/12/2017 5:39:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Congratulations to Panama but ... what on earth have the USA been up to? Their qualifying campaign has been dreadful. Worrying...

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Well unless you're Germany (qualified for all World Cup competitions entered) or Brazil (competed in every World Cup), every country has had at least one failure, even former winners Italy, Argentina, England, Uruguay and France. It happens, the key thing is to quickly recover or your ranking goes down and down. I don't know to what extent that is so much of an issue in CONCACAF, but its a bitch in Europe as the lower the ranking, the more chance of facing top teams, the less chance of qualifying, the lower the ranking etc etc

The US absence isn't great - for both the national team and, to some extent, the tournament, but then maybe it will turn out to be a long-term positive and the US will re-double efforts next time.

I only see things from afar, but I cannot believe the US will not continue to progress in world football terms - the game is just too big, too popular, it is the world's game.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/12/2017 6:22:10 AM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2968
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/12/2017 9:12:01 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

I only see things from afar, but I cannot believe the US will not continue to progress in world football terms - the game is just too big, too popular, it is the world's game.

And it involves a lot of money...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2969
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 10/12/2017 3:12:34 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

And it involves a lot of money...

Aye. It involves a lot of money. IF you've got a dedicated, sizable and lucrative fan base.

The simple fact of the matter is, compared to NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA basketball and football, Nascar, PGA, NHL, boxing, UFC / MMA, Tennis, Equestrian sports, (some) Olympics, martial arts, "professional wrestling" WWF, etc. etc. the recreational viewer has a very full very competitive plate of options BEFORE soccer is considered. Soccer's furtive rise in this country will have to contend with the shifting vagaries of the other larger and more potent sports franchises and leagues competing for 'eyeballs' and wallets.

While soccer is still very popular amongst young kids as a recreational activity, the interest has never translated beyond youth sports. Kids' interests 'graduate' before their teens to other sports that captivate them more and have a more permanent lock on their viewing interests into adulthood. As a result of this, there are few good 'farm teams' akin to Minor League Baseball or the NCAA college powerhouses that will direct young talented players into developmental leagues for MLS.

There are a number of people that feel passionate about craft beers in this country. But that atomized industry cannot come together as a cohesive whole and compete on the world stage beyond our borders. Likewise, there are some that really like some of the European soccer leagues / teams (many of the same 'artsy' types that feel strongly about craft beers). But the numbers really aren't there in terms of interest in building an indigenous soccer league in this country.

Yes, MLS attendance is up nationally. In some areas it's pretty solid, actually. But attendance at live events has not and shows no signs of extending into something with national viewership base.

The elimination of the US men's team from the World's Cup has resulted in a blood bath for Fox Sports. They paid $425MM for the broadcast rights for the 2018 and 2022 in English in the United States. Since the elimination of the US team from contention, they've gotten pole-axed by the ratings agencies, who have cut guidance. This pain has been doubled from comparatively poor NFL ratings this year. If major sports networks can't make coin on broadcast rights, it will cripple the economic underpinnings of the leagues. You think anyone is going to bid the rights for 2026 much higher when they see what happened to Fox?

MLS and a professional soccer league in this country has too many competitive headwinds. The loss of interest for the US Men's World Cup efforts will exacerbate that in the short to medium term. Reprisals of 'you'll see' and 'just wait' are hollow. They assume that nothing else will step into the breach to siphon off interest. They assume that there's an infinite patience with the system and an infinite number of investors / sponsors clamoring to thrown their money down a hole.
When you get the kleptocratic nature of FIFA and international soccer thrown into the mix, it's just not going to happen.

So, I'll offer this to my friends abroad: Name your metrics and let's wager on the outcome. I say that men's World's Cup and a competitive international-quality soccer league (complete with broadcast sponsors) has been set back tremendously by the recent men's loss. This loss will be measurable and long-lasting. Anyone that thinks otherwise is welcome to accept my wager.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2970
Page:   <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI