Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Manila liberated!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Manila liberated!!! Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/16/2013 2:20:46 PM   
JocMeister

Ah, to clarify the VP situation... We donīt "play for them". But right now Iīm using them to motivate myself. Iīm going to try for AV but if I get it we will likely just play on.

But right now its the only thing motivating me. So in a sense I do play for them! But WE donīt! Fuzzy enough?

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 2701
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/16/2013 4:01:02 PM   
Lokasenna

You'll get a nice fat wad of VPs once you clear out the DEI and Singapore (with the stuff from Java/Sumatra?), which you appear to be doing at a reasonable pace.

Couple of tiny hints for landing on Hokkaido:

Since you pretty much have to land on the eastern side of the island, avoid Wakkanai at first as it starts with CD guns and is one of the defense points for the Sea of Japan. Choose Bihoro or Kushiro as your initial point - you'll be landing completely unopposed by CD fire unless he's brought in some of the special base forces, most of which only have 8cm guns anyway (Wakkanai has some 15cm's and change). I like Kushiro because it has a bigger port. Bring Seabees, build the airfields. Each can reach AF9.

Just know that you'll be facing whatever's left of the IJN at that point, as once you're on Hokkaido he has no need to defend further afield and therefore no need for ships. Prepare accordingly.

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 11/16/2013 5:02:11 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2702
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/16/2013 4:28:49 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You'll get a nice fat wad of VPs once you clear out the DEI and Singapore (with the stuff from Java/Sumatra?), which you appear to be doing at a reasonable pace.

Couple of tiny hints for landing on Hokkaido:

Since you pretty much have to land on the eastern side of the island, avoid Wakkanai at first as it starts with CD guns and is one of the defense points for the Sea of Japan. Choose Bihoro or Kushiro as your initial point - you'll be landing completely unopposed by CD fire unless he's brought in some of the special base forces, most of which only have 8cm guns anyway (Wakkanai has some 15cm's and change). I like Kushiro because it has a bigger port. Bring Seabees, build the airfields. Each can reach AF9.

Just know that you'll be facing whatever's left of the IJN at that point, as once you're on Hokkaido he has no need to defend further afield and therefore no need for ships. Prepare accordingly.

Thanks Lokasenna, solid advice! Didnīt have a clue about the CD guns.

Not sure Iīll be going yet. But I have every recon that can reach putting the eye on Hokkaido right now. If I donīt find a superstack there Iīm going. Screw prepp. Iīll put 15k AV ashore and see how much is left when the dust settles!

To be honest I wouldnīt be surprised if that is about all I find. It fits with the way Erik has been doing stuff. No reserves and everything up on the front. There is a good chance forts are low too...

But Iīm getting ahead of myself. Lets wait for recon! But it would be nice not having to land on Formosa...

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2703
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/16/2013 5:13:24 PM   
JocMeister

Hokkaido

Being too impatient to wait for the turn I decided to open up Intel Monkey...every allied player should have this on the computer. If you havnīt gotten it yet you can find the DL in witpqs sig!

If this is accurate (it usually is) all Erik has on Hokkaido is 2 IDs. The 7th which is a solid ID. And the 77th which is crap. Crappy TOE and crappy MRL/EXP. From the look of it there is less than 1000 AV on Hokkaido right now.

So I guess we go then?! Or am I missing something? Why doesnīt he have 2 IDs on each potential landing site? Has he really, really dropped the ball on this one or is there something Iīm missing? He canīt transfer the HI troops to Hokkaido right? This is too good to be true?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 11/16/2013 6:45:09 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2704
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/16/2013 6:50:47 PM   
Lokasenna

That is the starting location for the 7th Division. It's criminal if he didn't move even their piddly 5 engineers/48 engineer squads to another base to start building forts.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2705
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/17/2013 6:21:15 AM   
JocMeister

Have to admit Iīm slightly annoyed and frustrated right now. I was promised a turn late afternoon or possible in the evening yesterday but no turn is up and no communication. This have sadly become the norm lately. No turn and no word. It happens almost every day now.

I have to admit that for the first time since we started this game Iīm starting to wonder if this game is going to slowly fade out. Since the fall of Manilagrad we have barely made 5 or 6 turns. We usually managed 2-3 turns per day and even more on the weekends. Erik knows we are playing against the clock here since Iīve told him that once the second baby arrives in early April I will have to drop this game and the AAR. Being on the defensive waiting for allied moves canīt be much different than playing the allies in 42. Turns take no time once you got things in motion. He doesnīt even have to worry about convoys and moving fuel/oil around anymore. The turns should take 30 min tops so I have no clue why we have almost come to a complete stop. I get the motivation can be tough at this stage. But so was my motivation in late 42/early 43 when the entire USN and China was gone. I still sent him the turns and if I didnīt I always let him know why and when it was coming.

This game is massive psychological drain. Having to deal with the frustration and stress of not getting the turns added to that...To be honest I think I rather drop it now then slowly seeing it fade away in a month. Iīm going to give Erik one more week to straighten out on his own or Iīll give him an ultimatum to do so or drop the game.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2706
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/17/2013 1:45:50 PM   
princep01

Ahhhh, this lament is heard all too often in WitPAE.  Once the exhilerating advances stop and the avalanche of US steel and aluminum sky begin to grind down the japanese war machine, the IJ player suddenly develops household and other  distractions that just make it impossible to continue.  In other words, I'm glad to administer a sound thrashing on you, but once the whip hand shifts, the pain of the lash is far more than I can bear....hence, I quit.  Happens all the time and not just in thsi game.

Hopefully, Obvert will man up and face the storm, using every bit of wit and experience attained in the game to stop you short of victory.  So few games reach this level, that it is very instructive to the viewing public regarding late game strategies and tactics.  I hope he will continue.  If not, another player is dropped from my inventory of those I would like to play.  Good luck. 

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2707
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/17/2013 2:58:40 PM   
JocMeister

Thanks Princep!, I got the turn a couple of hours ago. A day later then I was told...

Havnīt had a proper look yet but recon shown Hokkaido is indeed "empty!" So to Hokkaido we go then. Now the question is HOW do we get to Hokkaido. Its going to be a logistical nightmare! Donīt want to just pack everything up and leave tomorrow. I need to plan this properly and do it the right way.

LOC is going to be Midway - Hokkaido. So I need to prepare Midway for the increased traffic. And I need to construct some sort of ruse. There is no way the entire navy and 15 IDs are going to leave Luzon unnoticed and travel to Hokkaido. Feint towards Bonins perhaps? The would look like a credible target for the entire navy.

I also need to make sure Erik canīt shift the troops from Formosa. So I need to isolate Formosa...lots and lots of stuff to do and find a solution to! Fun!

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2708
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/17/2013 5:16:09 PM   
JocMeister

Having looked more closely at the turn Iīm no longer as enthusiastic about Hokkaido as I was a couple of hours ago. While it is certainly up for grabs Iīm not sure I have the logistics in place to support the invasion properly. The closest base is as I mentioned Midway. If I had been on the Bonins or had the NOPAC in my hands perhaps...

IF and I say IF I suffer a catastrophic CV defeat on the way to or during the landing its basically game over for me. There is no way I could support the troop on Hokkaido nore get supply and everything in place. As I said the closest allied base is Midway a staggering 54 hexes from Hokkaido.

While I love the idea of exploiting this mistake I just feel its a bridge too far. Or long in this case. We have yet to see what the Kamis can do and its a real possibility that Erik can gain complete control of the airspace over Hokkaido using endless supply of fighters and pilots. I still have SOME time. Going all on for Hokkaido feels a bit desperate and Iīm not certain I need to be at this stage.

Iīm not going to change any prep just yet. But I would love to hear some thought. Pro or cons for Hokkaido both. I think I have come up with a better idea. Iīll keep it to myself for a little longer though. Lets decide on Hokkaido first!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2709
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/17/2013 5:32:35 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Thanks Princep!, I got the turn a couple of hours ago. A day later then I was told...

Havnīt had a proper look yet but recon shown Hokkaido is indeed "empty!" So to Hokkaido we go then. Now the question is HOW do we get to Hokkaido. Its going to be a logistical nightmare! Donīt want to just pack everything up and leave tomorrow. I need to plan this properly and do it the right way.

LOC is going to be Midway - Hokkaido. So I need to prepare Midway for the increased traffic. And I need to construct some sort of ruse. There is no way the entire navy and 15 IDs are going to leave Luzon unnoticed and travel to Hokkaido. Feint towards Bonins perhaps? The would look like a credible target for the entire navy.

I also need to make sure Erik canīt shift the troops from Formosa. So I need to isolate Formosa...lots and lots of stuff to do and find a solution to! Fun!

I'm glad we were able to nudge you away from Formosa .

If you make it look like all 15 are heading for the Bonins, he won't believe it due to stacking. I'd create a couple of empty invasion fleets once you're off of Luzon and preparing to land at Hokkaido, and hold them within recon range of Formosa but out of LBA strike range. I'd also hold enough of your CVs back behind them, not visible, in case he decides to send KB after your "invasion fleets" for free VPs. And then I'd hit Kushiro and/or Bihoro with a sledgehammer.

@Princep - I expect Obvert to stick this out to the bitter end. Has he been busy IRL lately? Maybe more than demotivation is causing the delay in turns.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2710
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/17/2013 5:45:30 PM   
Flicker

Go for it!

IMO an invasion of Hokkaido would be very entertaining to your readers.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2711
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/17/2013 6:52:31 PM   
JocMeister

15th-16th February -45

While the 15th was uneventful there were some action over Luzon on the 16th.

------------------------
Luzon
------------------------

Some Japanese fighters rose to challenge on Luzon today.

quote:

Morning Air attack on 217th Naval Construction Battalion, at 79,75 (Lingayen)

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 19 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-83 x 46
Ki-84r Frank x 14
Ki-100-I Tony x 19

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-100-I Tony: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 4 destroyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Lingayen , at 79,75

Raid detected at 30 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-83 x 41
Ki-84r Frank x 13
Ki-100-I Tony x 9

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-83: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 3 destroyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Lingayen , at 79,75

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-83 x 35
Ki-84r Frank x 10
Ki-100-I Tony x 8

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-83: 1 destroyed
Ki-100-I Tony: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 1 destroyed

The day end in a draw with 52 planes shot down on both sides. Obviously a decisive Japanese victory. I canīt afford the losses but he can. I hope for some payback tomorrow as we will strike the AFs hopefully catching some of them on the ground. But I bet Erik pulls his "vanishing act" and disbands them back to the pools before tomorrow.

No ground combat as we continue to chase the fleeing Japanese. Most of the troops should reach Lingayen tomorrow.

No action anywhere else. Iīm still torn about the Hokkaido landing. I think today showed quite clearly I need to keep my AFs out of reach from his sweeps or I will pretty quickly run out of fighters. Basically returning to 42 tactics in earnest.

------------------------
CV plane upgrades
------------------------

As the CVs rest up I took the opportunity to upgrade all DBs/TBs to the latest models. The have the benefit of being SR 1. That will help a lot to keep as many planes operational as possible. This will also allow me to streamline the VRF squadrons better as I only have 1 DB/TB model operational on the CVs.

3 More heavy CVs will arrive to Luzon within the week. Always nice to have more of them!

------------------------
Strat bombing
------------------------

We hit the HI at Shanghai with pretty disappointing results. Only 19 HI knocked out. Iīve decided to go again straight away. Tomorrow we also hit Osaka...only 140 B29 this time though. Iīm running out of them so if I suffer the usual losses tomorrow Iīll have to pull them from combat for 2 months and let them fill out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 2712
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 12:13:16 AM   
bigred

quote:

Have to admit Iīm slightly annoyed and frustrated right now. I was promised a turn late afternoon or possible in the evening yesterday but no turn is up and no communication. This have sadly become the norm lately. No turn and no word. It happens almost every day now.

I have to admit that for the first time since we started this game Iīm starting to wonder if this game is going to slowly fade out. Since the fall of Manilagrad we have barely made 5 or 6 turns. We usually managed 2-3 turns per day and even more on the weekends. Erik knows we are playing against the clock here since Iīve told him that once the second baby arrives in early April I will have to drop this game and the AAR. Being on the defensive waiting for allied moves canīt be much different than playing the allies in 42. Turns take no time once you got things in motion. He doesnīt even have to worry about convoys and moving fuel/oil around anymore. The turns should take 30 min tops so I have no clue why we have almost come to a complete stop. I get the motivation can be tough at this stage. But so was my motivation in late 42/early 43 when the entire USN and China was gone. I still sent him the turns and if I didnīt I always let him know why and when it was coming.

This game is massive psychological drain. Having to deal with the frustration and stress of not getting the turns added to that...To be honest I think I rather drop it now then slowly seeing it fade away in a month. Iīm going to give Erik one more week to straighten out on his own or Iīll give him an ultimatum to do so or drop the game.

I am sure someone would be willing to step forward to help you finish the game.

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2713
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 6:31:39 AM   
JocMeister

Its just getting to me that these "missed turns" arnīt being explained with a note. A short saying "sorry didnīt have time it will come tomorrow morning" would go a long way.

We live in an era of constant access to the internet. It takes no more than 30 seconds to take up the phone and send a short email. I even do that when Iīm later than usual with a turn. I donīt think its unfair to expect a similar behavior in return or am I asking for too much? If I fail to deliver on the usual schedule I ALWAYS send a note apologizing and letting my opponent know when the next turn will come. I most certainly do if I explicitly says a turn will come at a certain point and I fail to deliver on that.

Not doing so is just...inconsiderate? Or is this just a cultural thing and Iīm being to demanding?

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 2714
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 7:14:57 AM   
Barb

Interesting look on the Hokkaido.
However as you said, your bases are too much away to support it.
On the other hand - if you feel your enemy is focused on Formosa (which he probably is), you can create a nice distraction by grabbing some bases at Bonins or Aleutians/Kuriles (I do not know how far you are) ... In fact you can simulate shift of your advance to those areas, while the real threat will remain focused on Formosa.

I doubt it would make your opponent to withdraw anything from Formosa, but it may at least stop any future reinforcements as they will be probably sent to guard against your distractions. With a bit of luck, you can get his fleet out of position for immediate intervention at Formosa by such move.

However be careful to assign sufficient forces for the task of distraction (yet not too many) - to make distraction believable, yet do not over-commit yourself. Play with smoke and mirrors :)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2715
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 7:36:10 AM   
JocMeister

17th February -45

Another B29 disaster...

------------------------
Luzon
------------------------

Troops finally shift hex to Lingayen. The attack will go in tomorrow preceded by naval and aerial bombardment.

We do manage to nail a few fighters on the ground at Appari. 13 Ki-83s are destroyed and the airfields at Appari and the base just to the south is closed. This Ki-83 is worrisome. Getting a 1:1 against the P51Ds are catastrophic for me at this point. Since HIs most likely wonīt be an issue Erik can certainly afford the double cost of the two engines on the Ki-83.

Not looking forward to facing 2-300 of these planes per month for the remainder of the war. Does it ever end?

------------------------
Cam Ranh Bay
------------------------

A while back Erik started sending in 1 ship TFs to the base. Despite an enormous search blanket I never spot these until recon picks them up at the base itself. Any advice on how to deal with this? Do I have to permanently park DDs at CRB to prevent this? Anything I can do to spot these?

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Cam Ranh Bay at 64,72, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
xAK Asukasan Maru, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Ammen
DD Anthony
DD Charles Badger
DD Bush
DD Daly
DD Heywood Edwards
DD Paul Hamilton
DD McNair

I already have 24 CATs and 50 Avengers flying from Saigon.

Erik did have a CAP up this turn. A good day for the allies as 18 Sams are shot down for only two P38s in a combined LRCAP/Sweep. Erik is again trying to fly troops out. 5 Emilies are shot down by the LRCAP.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Cam Ranh Bay , at 64,72

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 48 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 17

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 9
P-38L Lightning x 16
P-51D Mustang x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Sam: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38L Lightning: 1 destroyed

------------------------
Indochina/China
------------------------

Superstack Mk5. have now risen from 95.000 men to 150.000. I canīt see anything more moving here though. I donīt know if I should try to just break right through or do something else. At this point I mostly just want to start a supply burn in China. For that to happen I need to start combat.

Iīve decided to let the Chinese make a break for it shortly. They lack supply but its 22.000 AV and Erik will have to divert a big number of troops to deal with this.

------------------------
Strat bombing
------------------------

Another very bad day. 28 B-29s are lost over Osaka for only 1 Manpower hits. Again the weather really makes a mess of things. Iīll now rebase the B29s to Luzon and will stand them down for 2 months. Numbers have dropped from 210 to 120 in just a month. I canīt keep this up. His NFs are getting 0.5 B29s per airborne NF. Absolutely silly.

quote:

Night Air attack on Osaka/Kyoto , at 109,59

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5d-S Zero x 13
J1N1-S Irving x 12
J1N1-Sa Irving x 37
Ki-46-III KAI Dinah x 13

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 26

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5d-S Zero: 1 destroyed
J1N1-S Irving: 1 destroyed
J1N1-Sa Irving: 1 destroyed
Ki-46-III KAI Dinah: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 25 damaged
B-29-25 Superfort: 1 destroyed by flak

Manpower hits 1
Fires 650

At Shanghai we donīt do any better. Despite 26 direct HI hits only 1 point of HI is destroyed. Not a good day. At least none were lost here.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2716
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 8:24:28 AM   
Speedysteve

Ridiculous indeed.............

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2717
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 8:42:37 AM   
Powloon

Commiserations on the B29 raids. Is it your opinion that the night fighters themselves are overpowered or simply that he is deploying them in ahistorical numbers or a combination of both? I'm guessing that the range that you are currently operating them is a factor with a lot of damaged planes becoming losses which wouldn't otherwise happen if you had bases closer to the HI?

Like your thinking regards Hokkaido another avenue of approach will complicate the strategic picture for your opponent making it more difficult for him to concentrate his defences (although as he is operating on interior lines he can probaly move his reserves such as they are to the threatened sector fairly rapidly). I wonder though if you will need to also pick up some of the Kurile islands to secure your SLOC?

If you are trying to keep him focused on the Formosa/Okinawa front then I think it would still be a good idea to continue with the operations to pick up the smaller islands in the area. You might get a chance to attrit his forces using the airfields in northern Luzon whilst still picking up bases that are useful in there own right

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 2718
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 8:52:40 AM   
JocMeister

Allied Carriers

Iīm going to have reorganize the whole CV fleet shortly. Right now I have 3 Fast CV TFs but now all are well above 500 planes per TF and all are above the optimal 15 ships TF size. With the arrival of 3 more Fast CVs Iīm going to create a 4th TF.

Its going to be fiddly but I would like to keep each TF just under 400 planes and below 15 ships. In total the Fast CVs have about 1800 planes. Divided by 4 thats 450 planes though. Not really sure if its worth creating a 5th TF just to keep numbers under 400 and avoid the coordination penalty?

I could let the Brit CVs act in an own TF but I like to keep them with the main CVs to act as bomb magnets with their armored decking. Besides the Indefatigable (81 plane capacity) they are largely not much use with their 35 plane capacity.

The CVEs will have to keep working in these big 500 plane TFs though. I donīt have the escorts to spare to create another TF. I have 3 suchs TFs right now.

All in all the total number of carrier based planes are now around 3000. Reinforcement have started to dry up. "Only" 6 more Essexes and the Midway left in the cue. But only 1 is due this spring and 1 during the summer. The rest will show up in the autumn.

On the British side there is only the Implacable (81 CAP) and 7 CVLs left.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 2719
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 9:13:04 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powloon

Commiserations on the B29 raids. Is it your opinion that the night fighters themselves are overpowered or simply that he is deploying them in ahistorical numbers or a combination of both? I'm guessing that the range that you are currently operating them is a factor with a lot of damaged planes becoming losses which wouldn't otherwise happen if you had bases closer to the HI?

Like your thinking regards Hokkaido another avenue of approach will complicate the strategic picture for your opponent making it more difficult for him to concentrate his defences (although as he is operating on interior lines he can probaly move his reserves such as they are to the threatened sector fairly rapidly). I wonder though if you will need to also pick up some of the Kurile islands to secure your SLOC?

If you are trying to keep him focused on the Formosa/Okinawa front then I think it would still be a good idea to continue with the operations to pick up the smaller islands in the area. You might get a chance to attrit his forces using the airfields in northern Luzon whilst still picking up bases that are useful in there own right

ARRRGH. I posted you a loooong reply that the forum ate. Iīll try to rewrite it later.

To sum it up in the meantime:
-Japanese ability to detect and intercept incoming strikes is a pure fantasy. They never had the capabilities.
-The most common Japanese NF (Irwing) can make intercept after intercept despite being 40MPH SLOWER than the B29.
-Japanese airborne radar is on levels with any modern radar we see today.
-Allied 4Es are built out of tinfoil and sheets of A4 paper all joined and secured by duct tape according to the game.
-Operating on extended range most certainly have an effect. How big? I hope we will see before the game is over.

-Hokkaido. Still not convinced. I would love to exploit this huge mistake but the logistics of it and distance from friendly bases make me reluctant. But I might have come up with an even better idea. Iīll keep it to myself for a while longer though. I need to check some things first! If it turns out impossible I might give Hokkaido another look. But right now I deem it too impractical.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 11/18/2013 10:28:35 AM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2720
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 11:39:23 AM   
bigred

quote:

Its just getting to me that these "missed turns" arnīt being explained with a note. A short saying "sorry didnīt have time it will come tomorrow morning" would go a long way.

We live in an era of constant access to the internet. It takes no more than 30 seconds to take up the phone and send a short email. I even do that when Iīm later than usual with a turn. I donīt think its unfair to expect a similar behavior in return or am I asking for too much? If I fail to deliver on the usual schedule I ALWAYS send a note apologizing and letting my opponent know when the next turn will come. I most certainly do if I explicitly says a turn will come at a certain point and I fail to deliver on that.

Not doing so is just...inconsiderate? Or is this just a cultural thing and Iīm being to demanding?

In my game I am lucky to do 2 two day turns per week. So maybe your expectations for turn exchange are too high.

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2721
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 1:39:55 PM   
ny59giants

Your game can easily reach '46 and the Allies still never achieve air superiority. You will gain it at sea and on land, but never in the air. That's a sad thing.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 2722
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 2:06:09 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred
In my game I am lucky to do 2 two day turns per week. So maybe your expectations for turn exchange are too high.

You misunderstand me. Its not about the actual turn rate. But the failure to deliver turns on the normal schedule is never communicated to me. That is was I donīt like. I always make sure my opponents know when I for whatever reason canīt deliver the turns as I usually do.

In this case Erik said he would send me a turn in the afternoon or at the latest in the evening. No turn showed up until the day after. I think that if you fail to send a turn as advertised I donīt think its unreasonable to send a short mail/message to the other part letting them know?

Its not the first time. But given our prior "discussions" I donīt want to make a big thing out of it. But it annoys the heck out of me because I think its inconsiderate and slightly bad manner. I donīt know if that is just my own upbringing/culture but thats how I feel.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 2723
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 2:12:33 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Your game can easily reach '46 and the Allies still never achieve air superiority. You will gain it at sea and on land, but never in the air. That's a sad thing.

Yeah, sadly that seems like how it will be.

Have to hand it to Erik though. He has really worked magic with the Japanese industry. Many PBEMs barely have half the losses he has suffered yet his AF is as strong as ever and can overwhelm the allied air force simply using numbers in 45 is pretty impressive.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2724
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 2:57:59 PM   
princep01

The price of playing PDU on is a steep one.  Without an adjustment to Allied air reinforcements, it is just an IJ players dream.

PDU on is an easy thing to get sucked into because it is not so apparent that it is an aerial game buster early in the war.  But, after investing more than a year of real time playing, the Allied player becomes aware of the implications and then, to avoid wasting the year, must slog on in the face of the result.

Ah well, a suppose the game programmers could make a separate air reinforcement table for the Allies with PDU on and return the game to some aerial balance, but I haven't seen much interest in doing that.

Something one must just accept once the PDU on/off decision is made. 

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2725
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 4:16:34 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

The price of playing PDU on is a steep one.  Without an adjustment to Allied air reinforcements, it is just an IJ players dream.

PDU on is an easy thing to get sucked into because it is not so apparent that it is an aerial game buster early in the war.  But, after investing more than a year of real time playing, the Allied player becomes aware of the implications and then, to avoid wasting the year, must slog on in the face of the result.

Ah well, a suppose the game programmers could make a separate air reinforcement table for the Allies with PDU on and return the game to some aerial balance, but I haven't seen much interest in doing that.

Something one must just accept once the PDU on/off decision is made. 

Well put. As I have said many times now I wonīt play another GC with PDU ON. Knowing what I know now I would rather not play at all. It just makes the whole air war so strange it takes all the enjoyment out of it.

With PDU OFF I would actually have use of the thousands of Wildcats sitting in the pools. Or the P40s and P39s (well Iīve run out of them now but you know what I mean).

Problem would be to find a Japanese player willing to do it. Most of them seem to have forgotten they all did well enough without it not too long ago before PDU ON became "essential" or "must have". There are exceptions though and Iīm closely following fchartons game. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 11/18/2013 5:45:27 PM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2726
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 4:58:44 PM   
princep01

One of your other contributors did raise an interesting point a couple of weeks ago.  In building all these planes, researching and converting facotories to bring on new models, the IJ player my be setting himself up for a late game economic collapse by exhausting supplies prematurely.  So few games progress beyond the end of 1943, it is hard to test this thought, but it is an intersting one.  Once your game is over, I hope you will ask Obvert about this and see what he thinks about it.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2727
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 5:34:58 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

One of your other contributors did raise an interesting point a couple of weeks ago.  In building all these planes, researching and converting facotories to bring on new models, the IJ player my be setting himself up for a late game economic collapse by exhausting supplies prematurely.  So few games progress beyond the end of 1943, it is hard to test this thought, but it is an intersting one.  Once your game is over, I hope you will ask Obvert about this and see what he thinks about it.

R&D and ramped-up air production is a big drain on supplies. 1100 per point, and if he's been swapping factories to newer models as he completes others, that's another 1000 to 1100 per point... When you're talking about a maximum production of maybe 30M supply over 4 years, there really isn't that much to spare I think.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2728
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 6:05:45 PM   
JocMeister

One could always hope the empire is on the brink of total collapse! :D

I highly doubt it though. Erik is far too methodical and smart to let that happen. But on the other hand he might not have counted on the heavy losses on the ground he has suffered. This might have thrown him off a bit. But Iīm sure he has a good reserve of everything tucked away.

Will be very interesting to see his number after the game. Whatever he has done it has worked extremely well!

EDIT: Stupid autocorrect on the phone!

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 11/18/2013 7:14:15 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2729
RE: Manila liberated!!! - 11/18/2013 6:52:26 PM   
Bullwinkle58

It may be my aging memory, but I don't recall any golden era of the past where lots of Japan players chose PDU OFF. There have been a few AAR games that way, but they spent, the ones I read at least, a lot of time bewailing the choice and how they were flying Nates in 1945. I suspect any Japan player who agrees in the present era of the game's history is going to want stiff concessions in return.

The Moose

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2730
Page:   <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Manila liberated!!! Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI