Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pricing Hurting Sales?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/14/2012 4:15:33 PM   
Algoritm

Or it definitely shows that I'm not a native english speaker... or it definitely helps emphasize anyway, since it tends to make people want to point it out :D

Thanks for the correction, I had to use it several times to help my memory.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 121
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/14/2012 7:34:56 PM   
Anthropoid

I've been a Matrix gamer for quite a few years. Distant Worlds is one of their best games. Based on my limited experience in the genre, DW is probably one of the best (if not THE best) single player space game available. And I do not yet own either expansion, so whomever is thinking "you gotta have the expansions" is not necessarily correct.

I don't recall what I paid for it, but I'm sure it was full price as it was purchased immediately after release. I was happy to do this as it supported one of my long-time favorite publishers and I got a quality game out of it.

Having said all that, I do hope that Matrix knows what they are doing and are actively thinking about pricing. The gaming market place has changed a lot in recent years and I hope that Matrix will continue to thrive and make great games for many years to come. So I really hope they and their developers are making plenty to stay in business and in fact grow.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 122
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/17/2012 1:01:01 AM   
Ponicus

I really have to give my opinion here on this, specially if the devs and publishers have a chance to read this, from a fan of the game.

I spend a lot of money and buy a lot of games. I also bought DW and its expansions when they had the bundle a while back. It still was expensive, even with the very meager discount. However, I believe myself to be the atypical gamer. I spend a LOT of money on games annually. As my primary hobby, its simply where I put my money. So I didn't flinch much because I do ok for myself and I am a life long gamer, specially of anything Space related and also of the 4x genre.

Been playing every game in this genre since Stars! on Windows 3.1. I think DW is one of the best 4x games ever made. MoO was the genre buster, but DW is the genre to its most complex yet refined.

Which is why its sad to see that it isn't being properly recognized and played because of its pricing and marketing strategy. They need to bundle the game and the previous expansions into a "Gold" version or whatever you may call it, price it at 49.99 (at most) or 39.99, and put it on Steam (while continuing to sell it on Matrix too).

Do this before you release the next expansion. By bundling and pricing more aggresively, you'll grow the install base of the existing game (not to mention grow the fan base), and then when you sell the expansion at it's normal price you will sell more of those too. Everyone makes more money!

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 123
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/17/2012 12:25:02 PM   
Kulin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

I am getting so tired of these stupid thread posts bitching about price.
If you think something is too expensive that is a clear indication that somewhere your brain believes it is not worth buying. And so probably you shouldnt buy it. You dont need to be a zen grandmaster to figure this out. But you do need a brain...

If you want to get your friends into this game but they say it is too expensive, maybe they dont want to play it. Maybe the rest of the world doesnt want to play it. Maybe people who do want to play it will buy it. Maybe people who dont have enough money to buy it will get a job or steal money so they can buy it. Or maybe they will just pirate the game. Maybe a company that sells games online for a living knows more than random dude on internet. Guess what I believe.

Heres a thought: next time you feel like posting about how the game is too expensive, dont.

I'm getting tired of fanboys, too. Its so cumbersome and exhaustung to even read your brain farts.

1. There is no Demo
2. It costs 80€
3. Reviews are very mixed.
4. Screenshots are butt ugly
5. Feature descriptions on the web are too rare to get a complete picture of the game
6. Its about 10€ cheaper in the US than in the EU. I hate to be ripped off, even if its only 10€.

All we have is the oppinion of fanboys like you. I'm sorry to say that: but this oppinion is complety worthless. It would be the same as asking a mujahedin if he loves Allah. He would kill you just for asking such a stupid question.

So:
7. We have only very few usefull reviews from sites with a questionable(or no at all) journalistic reputation.

So OF COURSE 80€(with all addons) for a game like this looks like too much for any reasonable person. Its like buying a pig in a poke. Not even a AAA game of the most expensive publishers - like mass effect 2 with all addons - did cost so much at its best times.

Its no matter of "pay if you think its worth the price". Its a matter of you can't be sure if its worth the price.

< Message edited by Kulin -- 8/17/2012 12:36:55 PM >

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 124
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/17/2012 1:55:24 PM   
towerbooks3192

Not a fanboy and I just got the game.

I am skeptic since I haven't heard about this game before and I accidentally stumbled upon it while searching for stuff about the legend of pegasus.

I must say that the price tag is scary AUD$80 but most games here for console and PC range from $70-$100 so I am used to shelling out more for games. Most AAA titles nowadays barely have enough gameplay.

This game is really great and its something that can't be explained by lets plays on youtube or reviews. Its something that should be experienced and it is unique and I have never seen a game that is close to DW ever in terms of scope and depth.

I never regret taking a stab in the dark and buying this one. The graphics aren't fancy but they are appropriate for this kind of game. I would also prefer this type of graphics paired with really really really deep gameplay and a game that would last me years!

(in reply to Kulin)
Post #: 125
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/17/2012 4:22:51 PM   
mbar

The graphics, thought 2D, can be charming. For example showing damage taken to ships or them slowly being constructed. Also it makes modding them easier. There are some advantages.

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 126
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/17/2012 4:37:31 PM   
Veloxi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kulin

quote:

If you think something is too expensive that is a clear indication that somewhere your brain believes it is not worth buying. And so probably you shouldnt buy it. You dont need to be a zen grandmaster to figure this out. But you do need a brain...

If you want to get your friends into this game but they say it is too expensive, maybe they dont want to play it. Maybe the rest of the world doesnt want to play it. Maybe people who do want to play it will buy it. Maybe people who dont have enough money to buy it will get a job or steal money so they can buy it. Or maybe they will just pirate the game. Maybe a company that sells games online for a living knows more than random dude on internet. Guess what I believe.

Heres a thought: next time you feel like posting about how the game is too expensive, dont.

I'm getting tired of fanboys, too. Its so cumbersome and exhaustung to even read your brain farts.

1. There is no Demo
2. It costs 80€
5. Feature descriptions on the web are too rare to get a complete picture of the game
6. Its about 10€ cheaper in the US than in the EU. I hate to be ripped off, even if its only 10€.

All we have is the oppinion of fanboys like you. I'm sorry to say that: but this oppinion is complety worthless. It would be the same as asking a mujahedin if he loves Allah. He would kill you just for asking such a stupid question.

So:
7. We have only very few usefull reviews from sites with a questionable(or no at all) journalistic reputation.

So OF COURSE 80€(with all addons) for a game like this looks like too much for any reasonable person. Its like buying a pig in a poke. Not even a AAA game of the most expensive publishers - like mass effect 2 with all addons - did cost so much at its best times.

Its no matter of "pay if you think its worth the price". Its a matter of you can't be sure if its worth the price.

Very well said.

(in reply to Kulin)
Post #: 127
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/18/2012 1:02:18 AM   
Blackadar1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kulin

quote:

1. There is no Demo
2. It costs 80€

So:

*bravo*

(in reply to Kulin)
Post #: 128
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/23/2012 7:51:48 PM   
Veloxi

I love how many more folks I've convinced to buy the game now that the price has dropped, even if it's temporary. YAY! ;)

(in reply to Blackadar1)
Post #: 129
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/24/2012 2:22:38 AM   
kosmoface

That were exactly my thoughts back then.

80 Euros is steep, very steep in my case. I remember the feeling when I ordered online. I only thought to myself: If this is a bummer you lost a big bunch of money for nothing. I NEVER ever felt that bad when I ordered anything. I mean anything - not only games, because usually I know exactly what I get. In the end it was well worth it, but why did I have to go through these emotions?

Just release a demo or cut the price constantly. Make it easier to make an informed decision. I don't know why we as customers have to feel so bad BEFORE we buy, why potential customers don't get the chance for a really good 'hands on' beforehand.

It's possibly the only big flaw I see with Distand Worlds.

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 130
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/24/2012 3:15:41 PM   
dlcooper

I've been looking at this game for a while but the price always put me off. With the 33% sale, I decided to take the plunge and go for the game and both expansions. Been watching some Let's Play videos (Das24680 Can't post the link) and they really sold me on the game. Downloaded it last night and very much looking forward to getting into it. Tried out a few other games lately (Endless Space, GalCiv2, SOTS 1 and 2, Star Ruler) and this game seems to have a lot more depth than all those put together. The other games I have aren't bad, it's just that this game seems to have a lot more to it. The sale isn't that long, but hopefully more people that have been holding off will give it a try.

(in reply to kosmoface)
Post #: 131
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/24/2012 5:33:25 PM   
WoodMan

Welcome dlcooper

Das videos are brilliant by the way, I watched them a long time ago, very impressive!

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to dlcooper)
Post #: 132
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/26/2012 12:54:53 AM   
PhatFuel

I too have been a LONG time lurker and finally will purchase the DW series. A $60 pricetag for all three is much more palatable than the bloated $90--even if it's only for sale for 2 weeks. As such, I'll be buying two sets. So thanks there Matrix for listening to those of us late to the DW party . Hopefully with future expansions, the pricing goes down further. I cant wait to start playing!

PS - Thanks to Veloxi for the alert on his blog about this belated sale!

< Message edited by PhatFuel -- 8/26/2012 1:11:11 AM >

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 133
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/26/2012 1:11:48 AM   
ehsumrell1

Welcome to the DW Forums and the game PhatFuel.

Nice signature by the way!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to PhatFuel)
Post #: 134
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/26/2012 1:19:34 AM   
bryanhbell

quote:

I've been looking at this game for a while but the price always put me off. With the 33% sale, I decided to take the plunge and go for the game and both expansions...Tried out a few other games lately (Endless Space, GalCiv2, SOTS 1 and 2, Star Ruler) and this game seems to have a lot more depth than all those put together.

I'm in the same boat as you, dlcooper! I've been a Civ player for years and decided I'd like to try a 4x space game. I've tried GalCiv2, but it does seem a bit dated now and is no longer being developed. I've been looking at the various games in this genre and seeing that the genre seems to be lacking a modern game with adequate depth (that isn't also plagued with bugs). DW seemed to fit the bill, but that price! With the 33% off sale, I decided to make a move and bought DW with the expansions on Thursday. We'll see how it goes!

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to dlcooper)
Post #: 135
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/26/2012 1:22:30 AM   
ehsumrell1

Welcome to the realm of Distant Worlds Bryanhbell!

Hope you truly enjoy the game. Please feel free to post any questions, comments or
concerns here on the forum. There are many players, modders and the developers here
who will assist you if needed.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 136
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/27/2012 4:45:17 PM   
Veloxi

quote:

ORIGINAL: PhatFuel

I too have been a LONG time lurker and finally will purchase the DW series. A $60 pricetag for all three is much more palatable than the bloated $90--even if it's only for sale for 2 weeks. As such, I'll be buying two sets. So thanks there Matrix for listening to those of us late to the DW party . Hopefully with future expansions, the pricing goes down further. I cant wait to start playing!

PS - Thanks to Veloxi for the alert on his blog about this belated sale!

AAwww, thanks for the shout out, and you are so welcome. I truly hope you love the game as much as I do. :)

(in reply to PhatFuel)
Post #: 137
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/27/2012 8:35:05 PM   
bryanhbell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hope you truly enjoy the game. Please feel free to post any questions, comments or
concerns here on the forum. There are many players, modders and the developers here

Thanks. I must admit this community seems to be quite welcoming to newcomers. Very nice.

Bryan H. Bell

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 138
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/28/2012 8:05:39 PM   
PhatFuel

quote:

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell

quote:

Thanks. I must admit this community seems to be quite welcoming to newcomers. Very nice.

Agreed! Thanks much for the warm-welcomes from the DW community!

(in reply to bryanhbell)
Post #: 139
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 8/28/2012 8:07:51 PM   
PhatFuel

quote:

Welcome to the DW Forums and the game PhatFuel.

Nice signature by the way!

Haha! Thank you for the warm welcome! It's my strat-game mantra alternative to the "scorched-earth" policy.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 140
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/4/2013 8:19:30 PM   
piderman

Is there any news on a price cut for Shadows or maybe another sale? It's still €80 (read: $100) over here in Europe and I too find this to be very (maybe too?) expensive. Quill18's recent video shows what looks like a fun game, but man...

(in reply to PhatFuel)
Post #: 141
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/5/2013 7:47:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Yes, there will be a sale on the previous DW releases in sync with the Shadows release, which will be happening in May.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to piderman)
Post #: 142
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/5/2013 7:55:48 PM   
Modest

Welcome to the forum piderman.
You have my word - if You like 4x games You will definietly love DW. And with sale going to take place in May the biggest problem standing in obtaining it will be out of Your way. BUT have this warming, and threat it seriously. This great game have VERY big learning curve.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 143
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/5/2013 11:31:32 PM   
hfl13

The Matrix price model is a very strange one and I bought games for 30 years. Without getting my test DW for only € 13 at amazon.de it would have never goten noticed and bought. When I saw the matrix prices for downloads I thought WTF - do they have a terrible inflation in the US or are these the original retail prices and where are the real prices. After a first look and reading the forum I realized I needed all three for the full experience. Therefore I ordered a german ROTS and an english Legends (most expensive part) for a total of € 53 - my most expensive game.

IMO the most recent gold edition should allways include DW + all three extensions for about € 40 - that would give matrix games always a full price but only a small minority of players will invest € 96 or > $100 that are requiered without the sale after the release of Shadows.

As a price comparing dude I would never have given € 60+ at once or the crazy prices from the matrix website.

I like DW but without a pricing more in touch with todays standard the programm will stay in its niche and DW2 will only repeat DWs meager success if following the same price model.

Of course there are other models that are more clever: DLCs and stand alones come to mind. My old favirite Heroes of Might & Magic got lots of my money high price without ever crossing the € 40 treshold.

With Shadows one will need more than $ 100 for a complete up-to-date game. If there is no offer for owners of the previos 3 parts than I will probable wait a few years till I have played DW enough before buying because at the moments Shadows is offering almost nothing for my taste.

My experience with Matrix prices was similar with GGs "War in the East" bought in germany for € 8 at amazon this April and I have to find a worse product (no DVD no manual) as download for € 64,99 - that game is more than two years old.

Fan of amazon & gamersgate but wont be a frequent buyer in the matrix store at prices like that.

< Message edited by hfl13 -- 5/6/2013 1:59:53 PM >

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 144
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/6/2013 8:47:43 AM   
Mansen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, there will be a sale on the previous DW releases in sync with the Shadows release, which will be happening in May.

I noticed that your web-store is currently offering 20% off if you buy the entire package (Basegame and both expansions) - is this the sale you're referring to? :)

Post #: 145
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/6/2013 10:26:31 AM   
Bingeling

No, I don't think that is the sale, just the normal deal. And do also check the final sum, since for me, at least, local tax is added.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 146
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/6/2013 10:32:13 AM   
Mansen

Yeah I noticed the added taxes at the end - such a pleasant surprise

Hopefully they'll make it a wee bit cheaper - Just the current games comes out to a total of 108$ for me.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 147
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/6/2013 10:50:07 AM   
Bingeling

Strange, it ends up around 108 for me too ;-) I would expect it to get cheaper, but not cheap. The current is approx 10% off on the total, a sale is hopefully more like 33%.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 148
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/6/2013 2:09:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mansen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I noticed that your web-store is currently offering 20% off if you buy the entire package (Basegame and both expansions) - is this the sale you're referring to? :)

That bundle if you purchase all together is always available, regardless of a sale. There will be a better bundle when Shadows releases.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 149
RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? - 5/6/2013 2:40:23 PM   
Mansen

Thanks for the clarification, Erik.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Pricing Hurting Sales? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI