Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MR.TOJO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: MR.TOJO Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MR.TOJO - 10/9/2012 3:10:27 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Despite my continual sarcasm against JFB who assume they are entitled to non-stop , non historical advantage, I see the situation that you are in as a perfect reconstruction of the dilemna that the japanese empire found itself in.

You have the advantage of knowing history and other gamers experience which helps you to maximise return from the Oil & Resources available in the game.

Look at the IRL japanese economic situation, despite capturing some of the worlds great resource areas they struggled to keep Avgas in their planes and rice in their soldiers mouths.

You are capable of tweaking your ship production and prioritise research into motors and airframes.

The AFB gets nothing, has to fight an ahistorical war against a pumped up japanese OOB with historical forces and suffer withdrawals regardless of the war situation in the Pacific.

I would have thought that those who played the empire would take pride in fighting against these odds as well as against the Allies.

uhm... sorry mate but i don't understand (due to language barrier that often doesn't let me get irony) if you're critizing or simply stating.

However, yes, i do like this challenge...and i can tell you that it IS a challenge. A different one than playing the allies, but a challenge all the same!
It's a good thing to play both sides cause you understands how every side has its weaknesses and its strenghts....and you learn how to respect your opponent's successes (no matter if he's japanese or allied), knowing that he may have good toys at hand, but also that those same toys weren't that lethal when at your disposal....and so on...

Playing japanese for me it's like having suddenly discovered that i can have sex with a man and having exactly the same fun as i have with women... once you play "both sides" you can taste the best of both worlds

What I am trying to say, If you play the japanese (or German in WW2) suffer all of the probems they had. Dont play scen 2, fight the same fight they did.

If you want to play a balance game try Monopoly or Chess.

To me, using the same tools and doctirnes to achieve a better result should be the thrill.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 991
RE: MR.TOJO - 10/9/2012 6:55:36 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Liebestod

Newbie question but how do you choose to repair LI or HI? I don't see anything that says 'don't repair' or 'put supplies into repairing industry'
thanks.

In the industry managment screen there are two buttons aside of every HI (repair YES or NO)

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 992
RE: MR.TOJO - 10/9/2012 6:59:02 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Playing japanese for me it's like having suddenly discovered that i can have sex with a man and having exactly the same fun as i have with women... once you play "both sides" you can taste the best of both worlds

Now hold on a second. You just said that because CR has gone missing and you don't think you can be put in front of the Kangaroo Court. Look, it's all good with me but if you have any photos like the penguin photo I urge you to only post when sober.

LOL...oh com'on, it was just a litteral metaphor (sp!?)!!!

I see you still remember my penguin...don't you John?...glad you haven't forgot me....

anytime my friend

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 993
RE: MR.TOJO - 10/9/2012 7:04:45 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Despite my continual sarcasm against JFB who assume they are entitled to non-stop , non historical advantage, I see the situation that you are in as a perfect reconstruction of the dilemna that the japanese empire found itself in.

You have the advantage of knowing history and other gamers experience which helps you to maximise return from the Oil & Resources available in the game.

Look at the IRL japanese economic situation, despite capturing some of the worlds great resource areas they struggled to keep Avgas in their planes and rice in their soldiers mouths.

You are capable of tweaking your ship production and prioritise research into motors and airframes.

The AFB gets nothing, has to fight an ahistorical war against a pumped up japanese OOB with historical forces and suffer withdrawals regardless of the war situation in the Pacific.

I would have thought that those who played the empire would take pride in fighting against these odds as well as against the Allies.

uhm... sorry mate but i don't understand (due to language barrier that often doesn't let me get irony) if you're critizing or simply stating.

However, yes, i do like this challenge...and i can tell you that it IS a challenge. A different one than playing the allies, but a challenge all the same!
It's a good thing to play both sides cause you understands how every side has its weaknesses and its strenghts....and you learn how to respect your opponent's successes (no matter if he's japanese or allied), knowing that he may have good toys at hand, but also that those same toys weren't that lethal when at your disposal....and so on...

What I am trying to say, If you play the japanese (or German in WW2) suffer all of the probems they had. Dont play scen 2, fight the same fight they did.

If you want to play a balance game try Monopoly or Chess.

To me, using the same tools and doctirnes to achieve a better result should be the thrill.

I get your point Jeff and, in a certain way, i agree with you.

For what concerns me, this was my very first approach with Japan and, playing a scenario 1 game was considered simply too difficult to handle.
However now that i found myself in a "not wanted" scenario 1 environement (despite having the scenario 2 OOB) i think it's playable even for a rookie Japanese player...you just have to understand that you have very restricted limits in terms on how far you can expand (both your strategicak objectives and your economy).

Same would be for PDU on/off....but that would open another can full of worms :-)

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 994
RE: MR.TOJO - 10/9/2012 8:04:53 AM   
GreyJoy

QBall should be back today (hopefully he found a solution for his laptop's problems)...can't wait to resume the fight!
It's been hard to spend a whole weekend simply studying the Tracker and looking at the map...
But i had the chance of re-reading a lot of AARs (even old ones).
Doing this, i came up with the conclusion that i BADLY need to reinforce the whole western flank of mine. From Timor up to the Adamans. That is the softest place. That is where the allies have the best chance to land and to quickly estabilish a series of mutual supporting bases. The Solomons/NG aren't not nearly as critical.

I think i should be able to finish Manila within the end of July. Then i'll have 3 divisions and one Bde to spare (16th, 38th and 48th + 65th Bde)... but first i need to come out with a defensive plan, knowing that you cannot defend every dot base.
PzB showed that you can, even in 1943/1944, isolate an enemy conquest and counterattack. To do that you need several supporting AFs and a strong mobile defence.

In the Pacific the defence will be more static (also because counterattacking on atolls in a no-no!) but i need to draw a line in the sand and decide what i want to defend and what i can abbandon to him

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 995
Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 11:35:56 AM   
GreyJoy

Ok my friends,

I've studied the situation.

I've come up with the conclusion that, if i want to last untill 1945, i need to take NOW some draconian measures in order to start saving supplies, fuel and HI points.

First of all: i'll dry the training schools. I know some things it's gamey, but the way i see it, the extreme HI drain of late war training programs weren't foreseen when this feature was added. So i'll do it.

Secondly: i'll turn replacements off for every unit except for those which need to be rebuilt from scratch (those destroyed so to say).

I'll stop building forts except for places absolutely vital for my defences.

Stop every offensive operation a-part from China (hopefully i'll be able to stop the china offensive in late 1942).

Rationalize the use of xAKs. Use alsways "minimum ships" options and send to safe ports all those not absolutely needed merchants.

Halt construction of most of the non indispensable ships and shutting down half of my shipyards.

Stop repairing most of late war R&D factories.

I'll wait a couple of months with these measures on and see what are the results. If everything goes well, we may be able to restart something.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 996
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 2:01:50 PM   
Canoerebel

GJ, it's great to see you thinking through things this way. Just another example of why you are such a gifted player. You are far, far ahead of me in attention to detail. I doff my cap to you.

It has been very, very painful for all of us to have your game down over the weekend. Not because the game was down, but because it gave time for your mind to wander and for you to utter the most egregious thing you've ever uttered. You will be reported to the Kangaroo Court as soon as my eyes and mind are free of the contagion, which actually may not happen. I'm not sure I want to sully my fingers by typing a report to the Court.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 997
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 3:19:33 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Look around at Formosa, Pescadores, Babelthingie, Okinawa, Tainan, Hokkaido, Sachalin,Sadogashima. You might have alot of unused supply sitting around there.

If you are really desperate, there are a few thousand additional supply on these many small islands near Japan.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 10/9/2012 3:21:41 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 998
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 3:30:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

GJ, it's great to see you thinking through things this way. Just another example of why you are such a gifted player. You are far, far ahead of me in attention to detail. I doff my cap to you.

It has been very, very painful for all of us to have your game down over the weekend. Not because the game was down, but because it gave time for your mind to wander and for you to utter the most egregious thing you've ever uttered. You will be reported to the Kangaroo Court as soon as my eyes and mind are free of the contagion, which actually may not happen. I'm not sure I want to sully my fingers by typing a report to the Court.

C'mon, CR - you can type "flightless bird in a tuxedo" without getting your fingers ickky.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 999
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 3:35:23 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Look around at Formosa, Pescadores, Babelthingie, Okinawa, Tainan, Hokkaido, Sachalin,Sadogashima. You might have alot of unused supply sitting around there.

If you are really desperate, there are a few thousand additional supply on these many small islands near Japan.

No, i'm not that desperate now. But i better do it now, untill i'm still pretty safe, than tomorrow, when the allies will be advancing everywhere!

I've already emptied most of Taiwan, Formosa and Pescadores reserves anyway...

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 1000
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 3:37:50 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

Oh, com'on, you're just so bigoted (sp!??!?!) Dan!

This one's for you my friend.... hairy dreams

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1001
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 3:57:57 PM   
GreyJoy

edit: double post

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 10/9/2012 3:58:18 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1002
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 3:58:46 PM   
Canoerebel

The gorilla is a she, so I think I prefer her. However, it does trigger memories of the worst American movie of all time: Omega Man.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1003
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 4:08:35 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

The gorilla is a she, so I think I prefer her. However, it does trigger memories of the worst American movie of all time: Omega Man.

While this is (apprently) a HE! (as far as i've read, looking for something funny in order to reply to you, she/he has a tv show down in the Oz land)

Do you still prefer the gorilla??

Ok...i badly need a turn from QBall now... as usual, when the flow of turns stops, i tend to get over "the line"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1004
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 4:48:19 PM   
Canoerebel

If that person pees standing up, I want no part o' him. :)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1005
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 4:52:11 PM   
Canoerebel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKD_1fYOOPM

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1006
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 4:52:58 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

I pee sitting down 90% of the times (well, actually only when i'm at home, friend's or in office)....

....so what do you wanna do now mate?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1007
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 4:56:59 PM   
Canoerebel

You aint right. You gotta pee standing up. And if you're at a urinal or toilet, you don't drop your trowsers to your ankles (I've seen a Yankee do that one time and, believe, me it's creepy). And, if you live in the woods like I do, there's no need to pee indoors. Better to sprinkle the woods in the spirit of recylcing. See, there are important customs involved and righteous dudes just need to be dudes.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1008
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:00:27 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

You aint right. You gotta pee standing up. And if you're at a urinal or toilet, you don't drop your trowsers to your ankles (I've seen a Yankee do that one time and, believe, me it's creepy). And, if you live in the woods like I do, there's no need to pee indoors. Better to sprinkle the woods in the spirit of recylcing. See, there are important customs involved and righteous dudes just need to be dudes.

ok, you have gotten me!

In fact it's just a metter of lazyness...requires a lot more concentration to do it standing up (well, not if you do it in the woods obviously )

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1009
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:00:53 PM   
JocMeister

Haha!

Its actually way better to pee sitting down! Especially for men your age CR! Its easier on the prostate and helps you empty the bladder!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1010
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:03:32 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't see anyway for this thread to end except badly!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1011
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:08:33 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Haha!

Its actually way better to pee sitting down! Especially for men your age CR! Its easier on the prostate and helps you empty the bladder!

add also that you don't risk to ruin your brand new suede shoes

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1012
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:16:45 PM   
obvert

Maybe you should read through Alfred's Logistics 101 guide to cool down for a bit!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=logistics%2C101%26%2365533%3B

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1013
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:28:15 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Maybe you should read through Alfred's Logistics 101 guide to cool down for a bit!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=logistics%2C101%26%2365533%3B

Thanks Erik!

I had already read it, but now i printed it and read it back again... Alfred is surely a WITP professor

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1014
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:38:49 PM   
obvert

Every time I read one of his lengthy guides I pick up more stuff I missed the first time. I thought maybe the fine points of supply generation and movement might help keep your mind off of androgynous apes for a few minutes. I forgot you're a lawyer and probably get through a dense article like that in a few minutes, whereas I'd be at it for an hour.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1015
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 5:44:35 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Every time I read one of his lengthy guides I pick up more stuff I missed the first time. I thought maybe the fine points of supply generation and movement might help keep your mind off of androgynous apes for a few minutes. I forgot you're a lawyer and probably get through a dense article like that in a few minutes, whereas I'd be at it for an hour.

Consider that i've been reading it while jumping back and forth with a case of bankruptcy rescindment (sp!??!)... my clients are lucky that i don't make them pay based on an hourly fee

Is that so obvious that today my working will is almost "0" ?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1016
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 7:36:17 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

You will be reported to the Kangaroo Court as soon as my eyes and mind are free of the contagion

It was tough to read that and brought to mind the scene from Ace Ventura when he found out the girl he kissed was a guy. Where is the plunger?

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1017
RE: Extreme measures - 10/9/2012 9:55:42 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

I pee sitting down 90% of the times (well, actually only when i'm at home, friend's or in office)....

....so what do you wanna do now mate?

Oh Lord! That leaves out in the country [not sure how much you are able to get there with your job], and in the streets.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1018
RE: Extreme measures - 10/10/2012 2:22:06 AM   
princep01

Given the above rather bizarre discussion, it will be a blessing to return to war.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1019
RE: Extreme measures - 10/10/2012 6:44:58 AM   
GreyJoy

QBall still have problems to re-load our saves on its new computer... The war will be on hold untill we find how to solve this problem, however when it will begin again, it will be at a slower pace... Probably 1 turn/day cause Qball will be able to play only at home from now on...

I think we'll have plenty of time to talk about bizzare things my dear Master

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: MR.TOJO Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI