Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comparison to other games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> RE: Comparison to other games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/8/2012 6:15:56 PM   
Templer_12

You're really impatient.
The game is still only a few days old.
Let's see what Vic brings to us in the near future of additions, bug fixes, improvements, hopefully high quality scenarios, other 'presents' and good news.

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 31
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/8/2012 7:46:20 PM   
budd

Naw not impatient at all, just throwing out a thought to consider for the future, whenever that future comes. Have a nice day.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 32
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/8/2012 8:00:02 PM   
Grotius

Hey Vic, I'm curious, have you ever played OCS's "Case Blue," the monster boardgame? I have it set up on my gaming table as we speak.

One thing I like about OCS: on-map supply, including supply chits and supply dumps. I suppose that'd be a nightmare for an AI to handle?

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 33
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/8/2012 9:19:20 PM   
James Ward

^ Me too.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 34
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/16/2012 12:04:31 PM   
Templer_12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

but once you are familiar with the system you will want to know the finer aspects of the game mechanic. at this point you will discover the elegance of the game: it is basically a simple game but with cards, officers, the plethora of statistics it gets really deep. there is a lot of replay value in this. not only because there are options like free setup and an editor, but also because every pbem will go a different route.

This is so true. Word for word.
I am right now just at this stage.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 35
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/21/2012 12:06:34 PM   
Vic

@Grotius,

I studied the OCS games manual and map in quite some detail when researching DCCB, but never got around to playing it.

And yes its nice to have actuall supply counters on the map. It also adds however quite some micromanagement.

Best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 36
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/21/2012 12:15:38 PM   
Redmarkus5

That's funny! I based my mod on the OCS map :)

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 37
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/21/2012 3:00:00 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

@Grotius,

I studied the OCS games manual and map in quite some detail when researching DCCB, but never got around to playing it.

And yes its nice to have actuall supply counters on the map. It also adds however quite some micromanagement.

Best,
Vic

No supply counters, Please!

Tony

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 38
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/21/2012 5:05:27 PM   
Grotius

Hehe, I'm not demanding on-map supply for Vic's game. I was just curious if he'd been influenced at all by OCS. I'm glad to hear he has!

I see OCS influence in particular in the clever way Vic has handled artillery, by limiting arty stocks. OCS also forces you to choose when you want to fire off those precious shells -- although in OCS, every attack anywhere costs some supply, not just arty attacks. In OCS, for every attack you make, you have to ask: is this worth the supply cost? Do I *have* the supply nearby to conduct the attack?

Also, OCS makes you pay supply to move your vehicles. Again, Vic has designed a parallel system that requires much less micromanagement, using his Oil system. That makes perfect sense to me.

Actually, for me the issue with on-map supply isn't micromanagement; I like tracking supply. I'd be concerned that it would be very hard to teach the AI to handle on-map supply. WITP/AE comes close to modeling supply on-map, and the AI in that game struggles with getting supply/fuel/resources/oil to the right places.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 39
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/21/2012 6:21:58 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

@Grotius,

Best,
Vic

No, I want supply counters. PLEASE x 6.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 40
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/21/2012 7:10:00 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

@Grotius,

Best,
Vic

No, I want supply counters. PLEASE x 6.

If you want to discuss this any further go to the Premium Member Support Club

Tony

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 41
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/21/2012 7:22:47 PM   
Keunert

how about turning the DC franchise into a FPS-one? with cool uniforms? and some german shouts? that would be great.
also there is a ****load more money to make that way. maybe you could also have a romantic sidestory to attract some
of the other gender?

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 42
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/22/2012 6:46:48 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

how about turning the DC franchise into a FPS-one? with cool uniforms? and some german shouts? that would be great.
also there is a ****load more money to make that way. maybe you could also have a romantic sidestory to attract some
of the other gender?

And 'Power-up' buttons plus healing boxes and re-spawn points for destroyed divisions :)

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 43
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/22/2012 9:17:18 PM   
LiquidSky

Actually, I want to see a Lego Case Blue.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 44
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/22/2012 9:24:59 PM   
Keunert

Case Zombie: Gnagg Gnagg Gnagger

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 45
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/22/2012 10:16:43 PM   
mllange

Anyone have experience with Schwerpunkt Russo-German War? How does it compare with this game?

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 46
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/23/2012 9:29:44 AM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Anyone have experience with Schwerpunkt Russo-German War? How does it compare with this game?

It's a truly great game but better for PBEM than vs. the AI. Also, the UI is quite tough to master and there is a lot of manual complexity in the management of counters, movement etc.

However, if you are a serious war gamer it is a necessary part of your collection. You might want to wait until the next game in the series comes out though - I believe it covers the entire European war.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 47
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/23/2012 3:56:38 PM   
aspqrz02

Anglo German War is pretty good, too, as is the Arab-Israeli War ... but the UI is terrible and the AI anaemic.

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 48
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/23/2012 4:25:51 PM   
Redmarkus5

After playing the DCCB AI, RGW/AGW's AI will feel very weak, I expect.

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 49
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/23/2012 7:41:24 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Hey Vic, I'm curious, have you ever played OCS's "Case Blue," the monster boardgame? I have it set up on my gaming table as we speak.

One thing I like about OCS: on-map supply, including supply chits and supply dumps. I suppose that'd be a nightmare for an AI to handle?

I do like the on map supply, gives the game another dimension.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 50
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/24/2012 1:00:47 AM   
Templer_12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I do like the on map supply, gives the game another dimension.

I don't know OCS's "Case Blue".
I don't even know what 'OCS' stands for.
Someone explain to me please what this on-map supply is.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 51
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/24/2012 1:33:31 AM   
aspqrz02

OCS = Operational Combat System originally, IIRC, by "The Gamers" ... Case Blue is their multi-map monster boardgame of, well, Case Blue ...

That is, its a physical on the table series of maps with physical counters you have to move around and roll dice for each combat etc. Old School!

The Supply Counters will be physical counters on the map that will probably have to be moved around (or which units will have to be moved to) to maintain supply (I haven't actually played Case Blue, but I have played lots of Board Wargames, from as long ago as 1970, with Avalon Hill's "Panzerblitz")

Phil

< Message edited by aspqrz -- 8/24/2012 1:34:33 AM >

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 52
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/24/2012 5:41:05 AM   
LiquidSky

The OCS series is a wargame made by..well, you can google it and read all about it yourself. I played a lot of them, from the first Guderians Blitzkrieg, to my favourite Enemy at the Gates, and Tunisia and later...Guderians Blitzkrieg 2. They added a southern part and called the new game Case Blue.

Essentially it is a game of supply. You pay supply to move units that require fuel. You pay supply to shoot. You pay lots of supply to bombard. You dont pay supply to eat, but if you cant trace back to your supply source, then you get to drink the fuel, and eat the bullets by spending your supply. If you cant eat, then you rapidly surrender. As a result, the game is not really one of fighting, but of trying to figure out how to take out the other players supply, and cut him off so he eats his bullets, instead of shooting them at you.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 53
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/24/2012 12:40:43 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The OCS series is a wargame made by..well, you can google it and read all about it yourself. I played a lot of them, from the first Guderians Blitzkrieg, to my favourite Enemy at the Gates, and Tunisia and later...Guderians Blitzkrieg 2. They added a southern part and called the new game Case Blue.

Essentially it is a game of supply. You pay supply to move units that require fuel. You pay supply to shoot. You pay lots of supply to bombard. You dont pay supply to eat, but if you cant trace back to your supply source, then you get to drink the fuel, and eat the bullets by spending your supply. If you cant eat, then you rapidly surrender. As a result, the game is not really one of fighting, but of trying to figure out how to take out the other players supply, and cut him off so he eats his bullets, instead of shooting them at you.

Boy! That sounds real "Exciting"....I'll pass on anything like that!

Tony

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 54
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/24/2012 6:26:20 PM   
Grotius

Oh, OCS is much more fun than that! It's a wargame like any other wargame, with attack and movement, encirclement, overrun attacks with armor, air and artillery bombardment, mechanized, foot and horse movement, and plenty of fun toys that go boom. Its got absolutely gorgeous maps and counters. I've got the Stalingard theater on Nov. 19, 1942 set up on my table now, and it looks gorgeous.

Yes, it also models supply in more detail than most computer games. That's what makes it great! You can't just attack everywhere at once without thinking. You have to plan in advance, just as the real-life commanders did. And the supply rules are pretty easy to use once you've played through a couple turns. You make an attack or move your tanks, you pay a chit of supply.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 55
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/25/2012 1:22:47 AM   
Enigma6584

Alright gentlemen, I'm going to reveal my "noobness" here and ask the stupid question; what is OCS?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 56
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/25/2012 6:02:10 AM   
aspqrz02

OCS = Operational Combat System.

A wargame rule set created bt The Gamers for Operational Level wargames.

Phil

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 57
RE: Comparison to other games - 8/25/2012 6:59:51 AM   
Enigma6584

Okay, thanks.

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> RE: Comparison to other games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI