Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/12/2012 4:22:17 PM   
Arcatus

That is not the kind of hint I was hoping for.. *sigh*

The legendary pirates just don't make sense. I guess they must be from the pre-virus age, but why (and how) do they suddenly appear out of thin air?

I am disabling the legendary pirates in all of my games, so I don't want more of that silliness in the expansion..

(But don't get me wrong - I assume there will be disable options in next expansion as well, so I'll happily disable some additional scuvy-dogs to play with a the other awesome things you have on that list...)

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 31
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/12/2012 10:07:32 PM   
Blueberry

Geeee man.... All I asked for was some more specific targeting for pirates to play with....

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 32
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/13/2012 4:42:49 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueberry
Pirates could get special 'proposals' from the players involving carrying out special/specific tasks and not just general attack the other empire deal...for example, attack a certain port or help defend the system... ahhhh

That sounds more like mercenaries :)

Distant Worlds: Mercenaries for Hire

Has a nice ring to it, no?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to AndonSage)
Post #: 33
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/13/2012 5:45:43 PM   
Igard

Aren't pirate mercenaries referred to as Privateers?

Could be interesting. Perhaps we could pay to take control of a group of pirate ships for an arranged period of time. Could be very useful early game. Of course the faction you attack would have no idea it's you that's attacking them. However the pirates would be incredibly unpredictable and could attack you if another faction has paid more.

And what of.....

Boarding Parties!!!

However, I hope this isn't all the new expansion will focus on. I'd like to see alot more diplomatic options. Including trading of colonies. I'd really like to see a diplomatic option a step beyond MDP. A membership alliance where an empire agrees to merge with a larger empire.

Pre-industrial, pre-space civilisations.

More modding. If I could only put a '?' in the character stats instead of reading through the customisation guide to find the correct values, I'd have updated all my Trek mods by now.

Allow us to have peace with the Kaltors!! I'm kind of a sensitive Romulan, I don't like killing bugs. I put them outside. Let me have the power to do this in-game. Let me study them and learn from them. They need their own research tree and even research bases! An exo-biology research station could be built at a pre-industrial civ world or near a space creature 'nest'. This could give a boost to diplomacy with instectoids, weapons research, even energy research. Much better than blasting them out of the stars!

Level 1 tech would allow your ships to fly with the sand slugs, level 2 the space slugs, lvl 3 ardilus', lvl 4 kaltors, lvl 5 or 6, the silvermist.

Just some thoughts, most of which have been mentioned before.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 34
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/13/2012 6:13:07 PM   
Cauldyth

Seems to me pirates and boarding parties go hand-in-hand. What's the fun of piracy if you can't capture ships?!

And yeah, Erik has mentioned that the expansion will have a lot of varied things, so I expect whatever pirate-related enhancements there are, they are only part of it.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 35
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/13/2012 9:10:20 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Could be interesting. Perhaps we could pay to take control of a group of pirate ships for an arranged period of time. Could be very useful early game. Of course the faction you attack would have no idea it's you that's attacking them. However the pirates would be incredibly unpredictable and could attack you if another faction has paid more.
And what of.....
Boarding Parties!!!
However, I hope this isn't all the new expansion will focus on. I'd like to see alot more diplomatic options. Including trading of colonies. I'd really like to see a diplomatic option a step beyond MDP. A membership alliance where an empire agrees to merge with a larger empire.
More modding. If I could only put a '?' in the character stats instead of reading through the customisation guide to find the correct values, I'd have updated all my Trek mods by now.

Boarding Parties... do you not have that with Data hitting your cargo bay and drinking? How many more boarding parties do you need?

This last one caught by eshummel's security cam looks pretty raucaus to me...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 8/13/2012 9:12:02 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 36
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/14/2012 4:58:47 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

This last one caught by ehsumrell1's security cam looks pretty raucaus to me...

Hey TJ....that looks like one of the security stills taken at my Galactic Birthday party last
December on the planet Ba'ku!
See here Post #3: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2979271

I think this was taken after Data raided Igard's Warbird of all his Romulan Ale and provided it to
the party {I think that's why he's laughing}.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/14/2012 5:00:43 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 37
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/14/2012 7:21:43 AM   
Data

I have no recollection of that event

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 38
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/16/2012 2:47:25 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

And what of.....
Boarding Parties!!!

Boarding Parties... do you not have that with Data hitting your cargo bay and drinking? How many more boarding parties do you need?

This last one caught by eshummel's security cam looks pretty raucaus to me...

Just keep focused on Data...yes just keep focused on Data...

Now for me to slip out and...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 39
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/17/2012 1:31:30 PM   
towerbooks3192

So judging from the clue that its got something to do with pirates.

We will now be able to play as pirates. I imagine we would start with one ship, build ships and crews,trade commodities, raid trade routes, board and steal ships, enslave some independent aliens and sell them or keep them as labourers or population for your own planet and make a pirate nation? Then there would be treasure planet and the pirate council and war between pirates and the ultimate pirate treasure?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 40
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/17/2012 1:33:53 PM   
towerbooks3192

So judging from the clue that its got something to do with pirates.

We will now be able to play as pirates. I imagine we would start with one ship, build ships and crews,trade commodities, raid trade routes, board and steal ships, enslave some independent aliens and sell them or keep them as labourers or population for your own planet and make a pirate nation? Then there would be treasure planet and the pirate council and war between pirates and the ultimate pirate treasure?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 41
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/18/2012 1:43:28 AM   
ehsumrell1

Could be something like that........

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 42
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/18/2012 2:24:44 AM   
Pipewrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Could be something like that........

lol, ehsumrell1

and to carry on that line of thinking......

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 43
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/18/2012 11:24:21 AM   
towerbooks3192

I hope its something like that plus more though! I love to play as a pirate and start my own independent empire and be the pirate king and find the ultimate treasure.

I was wondering how much would the expansion cost? I want to set aside some money in advance so I could get it on day 1.

Other than my wish/imagination on how the expansion is going to be, I wish for more control and micromanagement option. If micromanagement is a pain for most people then I guess I would be a masochist

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 44
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/19/2012 2:32:42 PM   
ASHBERY76

The expansion needs to add a money sink that is for sure.Having more money than god by the mid stage is not good gameplay.I think some sort of system scale building system is needed like you get in EU3.Imprtant emperor level building choices.

There should always be stuff to spend money on apart from crash research which is gamey.

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 45
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/20/2012 3:40:54 AM   
jpwrunyan

Wtf
If you want to play space pirates play a different game. This is the dumbest thing since the last dumbest thing.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 46
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/20/2012 11:00:35 AM   
Yskonyn

Very eloquent, jp.

I would like me some controllable Pirates, yargh!
But I do agree with Ashbery; the game needs some form of increased cost with expanding your empire. For example a system that uses a Core world with certain Senate worlds, where 'normal' planets have a relative cost depending on their distance from the Core or Senate worlds.
You would get a reduction in cost to maintain a 'Normal' world if its at least closer to a Senate World even if its a long way from the Core World.
Worlds on the edges of your empire are expensive to maintain (even moreso in wartime due to attrition) because of the huge costs involved in getting there in the first place (trading, tourism etc).

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 47
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/21/2012 6:34:30 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

Wtf
If you want to play space pirates play a different game. This is the dumbest thing since the last dumbest thing.

It seems about 263 of your post count is just negative moaning about this product and people's ideas.Why are you here?

Who is moderating these boards? Where and who is luke.h

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 48
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/21/2012 8:23:55 PM   
Ralzakark

The moderators here are usually pretty good, if a bit late in this case.

Until then, time for the Big Green Button of Ignoring I think.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 49
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 3:50:48 AM   
jpwrunyan

@ashbury
Well, stop posting stupid stuff. But really, its like if you make a bad joke and I groan saying "what a bad joke!" you get offended. Well, if I offend you, then good. And if I dont offend you then good. See how positive I am? The reason I am not moderated may be because the offensiveness is only in your mind, coming perhaps from a misguided need for the privilage of feeling offended. Sadly, as I said, I dont care about you as anonymous person on the internet enough to willfully and intentionally hurt your feelings. Furthermore, even if I am trolling you and I say "you are stupid" (which I havent) do you really think telling me how much it bothers you is going to make me stop? Good luck with that!

Now in fact I actually do like you ashbury, I enjoy reading your posts even when I disagree with them. I hope you will continue to post even when I bluntly rebuke your ideas and realize that my ribbing is just in good fun.

Seriously, I have nothing against anyone here. I understand you all want to play pirates. And to that I say "wtf". Its a dumb suggestion for this game and you all know it. Have a laugh about it by all means. Its like people making working calculators in simulation games. Dumb. A game where the actual point is to play a pirate will be more enjoyable than trying to hamfist it into a game where the point is to play an empire. And pirates, by definition, are not organized to the level of statehood, otherwise they cease to be pirates. And that, my lovelies, is why I dont see it working in DW.

So obviously I should be banned and burned as a witch.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 50
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 5:56:33 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

So obviously I should be banned and burned as a witch.

I think you'll get a warning first if you haven't already.

You're admitting that you post derogatory comments just to amuse yourself. That's trolling in my book.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 51
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 8:46:06 AM   
Yskonyn

Another post by jp with flair.
Good job buddy! Keep rubbing everyone the wrong way and I am sure your time on these boards will be long and prosperous.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 52
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 9:00:51 AM   
Haree78

jp what's 'dumb' is your inability to communicate on an adult level with other people here.
It's pretty 'dumb' to consider someone else's suggestion dumb because you personally wouldn't like it.

I feel like I'm getting stupider the more I read your messages.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 53
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 12:44:11 PM   
lightheart

What would playing pirates involve?, do we know or have any ideas what the gameplay would be like and how it would differ.

Could be pretty much the same thing, expanding a colony but with pirates this time. I doubt this would be the case.

Which leads me to think there could be some interesting takes on the pirates role in the galaxy. Maybe the pirates are more nomadic ...instead of establishing a colony and branching-out, perhaps the pirates will travel around the galaxy causing mischief, looting and hiding in secret and small enclaves.

Maybe they could have a 'moving colony', like a large starship as their base, with no small base or colony. And they might steal/gain resources to make this wandering ship or group of ships larger and more properous.

Their diplomacy options would pretty much amount to blackmail and protection rackets, fleeing in their moving castle as soon as they are threatened.

They might be able to board other ships and take them as their own, imagine exploring the galaxy and taking possession of any far-out exploaration ships or bases.

Maybe they could set an abandoned ship as a trap.
quote:

be the pirate king and find the ultimate treasure.

Yes, treasure would be great.

< Message edited by lightheart -- 8/22/2012 12:47:54 PM >

sees unseen

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 54
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 1:35:48 PM   
towerbooks3192

Moving Colonies? yes that could be nice. Now I am getting excited about pirates and stuff.

As for the pirate king and ultimate treasure, my brother talked me into watching One Piece so I am more excited about trying to be a pirate king.......in SPACE!!!

(in reply to lightheart)
Post #: 55
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 2:06:33 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

jp what's 'dumb' is your inability to communicate on an adult level with other people here.
It's pretty 'dumb' to consider someone else's suggestion dumb because you personally wouldn't like it.

"stupider"? I hope that's a joke.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 56
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 6:46:59 PM   
Pipewrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

"stupider"? I hope that's a joke.

I took it as a snark....

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 57
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 8:20:04 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: pipewrench
I took it as a snark....

1 space cookie for you.

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 58
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 8:26:58 PM   
LiquidSky

The word Pirate covers a rather broad spectrum. During a naval conflict, where two sides are nominally at war (but not officially) you would give what is called a 'letter of mark' to a naval ship captain. This enabled him and his crew to attack the other sides merchant ships, without breaking the law. In order not to start a war, you would not fly the flag. The plunder, of course, would belong to the state.

The romantic view of a pirate is just that...a fiction. Lawless anarchists with a definite lack of personal hygiene does not make for a 'trusting' relationship.

Of course, the history in game has a bunch of advanced ships lying about left over from an ancient war.....so if it is possible that individuals could take over these ships, and can keep them supplied by preying on merchantmen and have the speed/technology to avoid the navies around them. But then, if they have the advantage, why would they take money to put themselves at risk?

I hope the game allows me to create my own pirates who can then set off on their own to fight against the people/bugs I want. But you can still keep the random nuisance type that hit my unarmed bases/merchantmen. After all, it does keep my navy sharp.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 59
RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) - 8/22/2012 8:40:24 PM   
ASHBERY76

The game already allows you to pay pirates to attack other empires so it's either a playable pirate faction like the Unn in Armada2526 with loot based victory condictions or player controlled privateer ships you can control.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Throw me a damn bone for the love of god! :) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI