Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/16/2013 5:49:12 AM   
Michael T

I think by the end of winter the Dneipr line will be virtually non existant. Which is all that matters, that it is a non issue come spring/summer.

However I have some extra Corp, inc guards, about to hit the southern region as I need just a little more leverage.

I have been killing more Germans than I thought possible this winter, which is good. But I am finding it more difficult than expected to make ground. Of course he is still very strong. I expect the winter of 43/44 to be entirely different if I do my job in summer 43. What can I say but grind, grind, grind. Eventually he must crack. Surely.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 571
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/17/2013 12:35:28 PM   
karonagames

quote:

Eventually he must crack. Surely.

Based on my testing days of the 1943 campaign with Flavio and his full artillery/mechanised box of tricks,Pelton is sitting on 300k-400k more manpower than he would have in a "normal" game, giving him a healthy pool of rifle squads to absorb the attritional grind. The German front falls apart really dramatically once the rifle squad count goes below 16000. My guess is he has double that number at the moment, so I am afraid you have a long way to go.

It remains to be seen whether Pelton's mistake was to make his stand on the Riga to Dneiper line. This seems way too close to Berlin for 1943 for my liking. If you have the patience, I think you could grind your way to Berlin by early 1945, but Pelton may have some more manpower tricks that I don't know about that may keep his rifle squad numbers stronger for longer.

Your summer campaign(s) are going to have to take manpower permanently out of action, and this can be done from surrenders, as a good chunk of attrition losses are disabled, that get fed back into the manpower pool. At least 20-30 divisions will need to go in the dead pile to make a big enough dent in his manpower reserves to bring his "crack" date forward.

As there are no bulges in the line that can be pinched off, you are stuck with trying to trap units against the sea as Flavio tried to do in our 1943 game, or go for a "pacman" strategy, creating lots of mini pockets.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 572
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/17/2013 1:27:38 PM   
mmarquo

Michael:

Consider the southern route: the map looks much different with the Roumanians and Hungarians gone...

Marquo

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 573
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/17/2013 2:39:43 PM   
smokindave34

I agree with Marquo - the Rumanian surrender conditions are easy to meet for the Russians and as soon as they are gone most of the Rumanian hexes (those not defended by German forces) will flip to your control. You should be able to gain ground quick in that area. Additionally all the rail lines in those hexes will be intact as well so you should have plenty of supplies to feed your offensive.

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 574
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/17/2013 3:53:02 PM   
timmyab

Good German players will have plenty of Wehrmacht troops in Rumania if there's any chance of it surrendering.Territory and rail hexes can be flipped back before the Russians can occupy them.

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 575
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/17/2013 10:17:08 PM   
Michael T

I think Armaments might end up being his limiting factor.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 576
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/18/2013 8:43:55 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab
Good German players will have plenty of Wehrmacht troops in Rumania if there's any chance of it surrendering.Territory and rail hexes can be flipped back before the Russians can occupy them.

...which would be units not building new fortification in Poland. Sounds reasonable to me to put more pressure on the Germans by pushing into Rumania, it could make the direct route to Berlin a tid bit easier? Stretch them thinner.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 577
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/19/2013 2:05:38 AM   
Fishbed

I agree. Anything stretching the Axis front and flanking the defensive lines, allowing for more maneuvering and more breathing space for MT's enormous power is very welcome.

Everything south of the Pripet must go. The faster or easier road is not always the straight one

Btw, in the real life that would be Uranus time, and still MT is winning hexes against the most powerful German army ever, while his troops are having a campfire under the walls of Kiev. Anyone who believes Pelton stands half of a quarter of a chance is being overly pessimistic I'd say...!

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 1/19/2013 2:11:32 AM >

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 578
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/19/2013 1:20:01 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh
...which would be units not building new fortification in Poland. Sounds reasonable to me to put more pressure on the Germans by pushing into Rumania, it could make the direct route to Berlin a tid bit easier? Stretch them thinner.

Yes I'd totally advocate attacking across the entire front.In fact the late Soviet army is so huge that it has to be spread out across the entire front, even then it gets horribly congested.In my experience it's more like directing traffic than conducting an offensive.Don't expect a good German player to allow you to charge through Rumania unhindered though.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 579
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/19/2013 3:56:04 PM   
HITMAN202

Michael T., give us a couple battle results that show the makeup off your typical attack and Pelton's defense; also an idea of the average casualties.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 580
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/19/2013 5:15:21 PM   
Fishbed

You should really do something about the air war though. These unnecessary losses really look appalling. Are you sure there is no way your falcons can behave a little bit better?

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 581
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/19/2013 9:44:08 PM   
Michael T

I will put up some battle results from this turn then.

As for the air war, well my losses are mostly flak losses. Not much I can do about that. The Luftwaffe is irrelavent. I suspect he has disbanded a lot of airfields that his bombers were using. They (the bombers) are rarely seen.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 582
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/20/2013 12:24:11 AM   
Michael T

Well I opened the new turn and I have a serious problem bug wise.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3254415

Waiting to see what the tech support people say.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 583
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/22/2013 9:12:14 PM   
Michael T

Some battle reports from my T87. The previous attacks in each battle were bombing runs. There are no wave attacks in the blizzard.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 584
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/22/2013 9:35:51 PM   
hfarrish

Is the lack of SUs in some of the Corps entirely bug driven?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 585
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/22/2013 10:00:54 PM   
Michael T

I have 70 odd sapper II and 272 sapper III. I would say 80% were in Corp prior to the bug. I have managed to get half the sapper III back in to Corp this turn. None of the Sapper II. I doubt I will ever be able to afford to re commit the II unless Pavel can help. I lost 2 battles I reckon I would have won with full sapper support. One shown above and another not. Plus probably 2 more battles I did not attempt due to the problem. Hopefully by March I will have recovered. But the 200 plus AP spent on reassigning Sappers won't be spent on new units. Unless Pavel can help me out.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 586
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/23/2013 7:19:39 AM   
Seminole

That's not a bug, it's a feature of superior Soviet C&C

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 587
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/25/2013 12:35:06 AM   
BletchleyGeek

Interesting.

Looking at the combat reports, I see that in all the battles where the attacking force had an engineering value of 20 or more, managed to reduce the fortification level of the defenders to zero, regardless of their initial level. Of the two failed attacks, in one you had less than 20 points of engineers supporting the attack and you just managed to lower the fortification level from 3 to 2.

Thanks for sharing, Michael

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 588
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/25/2013 1:13:10 AM   
Michael T

Yes my sappers being attached to CU in this game are absolutely critical. Which is why the damn bug is so bloody annoying. Anyway game held up now due to Pelton being unable to download the turn from the server for the past 2 days. What next...

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 589
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/25/2013 1:16:39 AM   
Michael T

Would you believe a turn came thru this very minute. How weird. Anyhow T88 is up. All those sappers I re attached better still be attached.....

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 590
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/25/2013 3:52:26 AM   
Flaviusx

This is a very unfortunate bug, never heard of such a thing before.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 591
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/25/2013 11:08:29 PM   
Michael T

The bug gremlins may have slugged us but the dice Gods smiled upon us this turn. Check out the low odds victories below. Plus this has been our best turn (T88) loss ratio wise yet. Any Aussie cricket fans around? The bug hit me on Turn 87

Anyway a lot of success this turn on or around the Dniepr north and south of Kiev. The Dneipr line is almost kaput. Maps end of next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 592
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/26/2013 8:27:33 AM   
Michael T

The bug has hit me again

On hold again. The game has become almost unplayable.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3254415

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 593
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/26/2013 7:39:05 PM   
sillyflower

That is cr#p for you and a shame all round. Your last turn was so good for you. With attrition losses his arty losses will be well over 1K which is unstainable. Less defender arty fewer defender holds in my experience.

I have a game in dec '42 but i think i will confine myself to 2 sapper regts per corps in case it's the tripling that is causing your problem.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 594
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/26/2013 7:51:19 PM   
Flaviusx

Totally bizarre. To the best of my knowledge, this is a brand new bug and I'm at a loss to explain it. It is certainly a game killer.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 595
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/27/2013 5:16:50 AM   
Michael T

The game goes on in an effort to nail this bug. I am so far in front that if the bug can be nailed soon it may not cripple me. I just hope Pavel can return some of these blown AP.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 596
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/30/2013 8:36:10 AM   
Michael T

End Soviet T89 (25th Feb 1943) Blizzard.

The bug is hurting but none the less the Reds are still going ok. Down around 300 AP now thru re-assignments. So lots of Corps not around due to that.

To summarise this is what the AI has done on recent turns:

Around 15 of my Army HQ's were moved to the rear.
Almost all SU assigned to Corp were sent back to the parent HQ's, this has occurred on 2 separate occasions.
2 HQ's disbanded.
Almost 100 Air Units sent to reserve.

Anyway the Red arrows show the main Soviet thrusts during February. Some weirdness around Riga. What is going on there?

I so want this bug nailed. I have Pelton by the balls damn it!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 597
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/30/2013 3:47:46 PM   
swkuh

Think you have a pocket possibility if you drive toward Vilnius, but what do I know...

Has your opponent ever retreated from his mainline? or has he always accepted mainline carnage?

BTW, how do you gauge the cost of assaults and assess how many regions to break at a time? Do you have a plan for force size, points-in-hand, casualty rates, etc., and thus limit your attacks?

Shall be interesting to see how the opposition strategy is affected by German Allies dropping out. Is this by date/time or positions or whatever? (I've noted that the AxAllies seem far tougher than what I believe was the historical case.)

Earlier thought that opponent would collapse in late '44, but now not so sure. Think Spring '45 now. Your prediction?

< Message edited by rrbill -- 1/30/2013 3:50:43 PM >

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 598
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/30/2013 9:01:41 PM   
Michael T

If the game can be saved from this bug I am still confident of a 44 win. But the AP bite is hurting me. I am down 20 Corp or so. That equates to about another 3 to 4 successful attacks per turn.

The only limit on my attacks now are the number of Corp I have. In late 42 I was facing a supply shortage but the 43 upgrade in HI has allowed me to build a healthy reserve for the 43 summer campaign.

I do not envisage any significant encirclements till mid 44.

But the game is in the bag as long as I can finish it. My power is even greater than I thought. He is going to get absolutly hammered in summer 43 assuming the game is saved from the gremlins.

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 599
RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) - 1/30/2013 11:26:07 PM   
sillyflower

Mr P may be relying on the Soviet manpower crunch

Germans losing nearly 1000 guns per turn are not long for this world

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Razing the Reich (No Pelton) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI