Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: The end of the human race

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The end of the human race Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 4:12:01 AM   
geofflambert

I'm rooting for the Old Madrid Fault. You can't keep a good guy like that down. By the way, the Mississippi does whatever the heck it wants whenever the heck it wants to do it. I am fatalistic this way because I live in a brick house and if it comes I'll be living off the land, and the only thing the land here has to offer is stray cats and coyotes. A good day will be when I get to the cat before the coyote, a better day will be when I get the coyote too.

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 61
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 8:57:14 AM   
rockmedic109

New Madrid fault, San Andreas, Krakatoa Jr, Mega landslides causing Mega Tsunamis, Asteroids, Sun flares, technology run amok or Zombie infestation. Take your pick. Not much I can do about any of them, except read about them to satisfy a morbid curiosity.

The CDC put out a warning to EMS workers about H1N1 killing as many as 2000 people in a nearby county alone a few years back. We had mandatory training about it at my company. I stopped listening to CDC as their accuracy in forecasting the deadliness of diseases has diminished with the rise in their desire for more funding from the government.

And I will continue to read about the end of the world for pure entertainment.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 62
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 12:31:14 PM   
Canoerebel

Sometimes mankind and disasters work together synergistically - the introduction of the chestnut blight into New York City in the late 1800s is arguably the largest natural disaster in North Ameirca's history. The current eradication of the hemlock from the eastern United States is another example.

But there have been countless times that we seem to exaggerate disasters or potential calamities beyond reason. Anybody remember the "lethal yellowing" blight that was to eradicate the coconut palm from Florida? How about Dutch elm disease? Dogwood anthracnose?

Remember in the 1980s and 1990s that acid rain was the end of the American forest? How is it that such a great calamity and news story quietly faded into oblivion? It is exceedingly rare to read about acid rain these days.

What about AIDs? While of course devastating to those who suffer (and their families and loved ones), this issue dominated the news in the '90s, but is seldom seen today. Why is that? The disease is still present, but it just doesn't get the publicity and attention it got 20 years ago.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 63
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 1:02:34 PM   
wdolson

AIDS has in part left the headlines because people who have it can take a drug cocktail that keeps it at bay. At least this is the case in developed countries. The new infection rate has declined too, especially in developed countries. Though it is still a big killer in the third world. I saw something that new infection rates were declining globally.

Early on there was a lot of confusion about how it was spread and if infected it was pretty much a guaranteed death sentence.

Something that might be a disaster in the short term may turn out to be a big benefit in the long term. The black death killed 1/3 of Europe's population which I'm sure was hideous to go through in so many ways. However, a lot of good came from the aftermath. The ruling classes were hit just as hard as the peasants and for the first time in many centuries Europe had upward mobility as new people were promoted to the noble ranks to replace family lines that had been killed by the plague. This brought new ways of thinking into European society and the Renaissance and Reformation came along because people did dare to think for themselves for the first time in a few centuries. Another result was there was a big shifting of wealth and a concentration of wealth in new hands as well as a labor market that in a few short years went from having surplus labor to having a labor shortage. The peasants capable of work, especially those with skills were suddenly in high demand.

It is the hard way to start an economic boom, but it did eventually change the entire world. For people outside of Europe it often got worse before it got better (and not until the 20th century or even the 21st), but at this point the revolutionary changes caused by the black death have touched almost every part of the world. And of course there are some relatively new downsides to that like pollution and an agricultural system that is straining to keep all the mouths fed.

It seems every positive has a negative and ever negative can have a positive if you stand back far enough.

I think we are living the Chinese curse. These are interesting times.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 64
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 2:37:03 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I, personally, subscribe to King's scenario in 'The Stand.'

That was a great book, I remember reading it years ago (shortly out of college). It was late one night, there was a storm out, I was listening to the radio and it cut out, so my little apartment became creepy-quiet. Next thing I knew, I coughed, and I sat up with a start "Oh my God, now I'm infected!!"

That was a sign of really being drawn into the story! Not really a fan of Steven King or the horror genre, but that one still stands out for me.

The Stand is still the only Steven King book I've actually read. Twice.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 65
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The end of the human race Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI