Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? - 9/8/2012 11:53:21 PM   
Crackaces

geofflambert has given the KB a nice butt whipping on March 31 1942 ... http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3087323&mpage=10

It can be done ...

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 31
RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? - 9/9/2012 3:54:08 AM   
PaxMondo

One thing overlooked by AFB's is that bombs kill more IJ CV's than torps ... at least from my side.  Flooding, IJ damage control seems to be ok with.  Fires though ... from 1000 lb bombs ... two hits is frequently enough ... 3 is a goner for most every IJ CV.  Fires get them ....  You need your TBD's for IJ BB's, not for the CV's.  And the allies have some DB's with good range.

Just my thoughts from the 'other' side ...

Pax

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 32
RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? - 9/9/2012 4:28:07 AM   
CV 2

You dont need to wait until you get Hellcats....

You just have to be smart about it. First rule is, you want them to be VERY far from home. Even minor damage on a Jap carrier can be fatal if its far enough from home. Second rule is, fight in your own front yard. You want your DL high, and that means PBYs. Land based air cover for your carriers is always a good idea as well. I will often pull off the TBD squadrons and replace them with Marine squadrons.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 33
RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? - 9/9/2012 6:48:28 AM   
Fallschirmjager

There was a point in September 1942 that the US only had the USS Wasp as an undamaged operational fleet carrier in he Pacific against six Japanese fleet carriers.

So your position is not exactly lost. Maybe that will help your morale a bit :)

I would play the Sir Robin game and batten down the hatches and defend where you can using assets on hand. Leave you remaining carrier on the West Coast in training and don't even sortie it until 1943.

Your game is still winnable and it will be very good practice for you.

As to your question. KB is really hard to tackle until 1943 but it can be done. But I like to play the %'s. Chances are if you have a carrier battle you will lose. So I try to avoid them and I husband my fleet carriers until odds are more in my favor.

Many Allied players get bored/impatient and rush into rash decisions and lose a lot of assets.
All of your units, ships and planes will get upgrades and become much more powerful as time wears on. The best way to play is to save as much material as you can until these upgrades happen. And pretty soon the massive tide of reinforcements will begin to tell and those %'s I talked about will begin to turn to your favor.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 34
RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? - 9/9/2012 3:36:47 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV 2

You dont need to wait until you get Hellcats....

You just have to be smart about it. First rule is, you want them to be VERY far from home. Even minor damage on a Jap carrier can be fatal if its far enough from home. Second rule is, fight in your own front yard. You want your DL high, and that means PBYs. Land based air cover for your carriers is always a good idea as well. I will often pull off the TBD squadrons and replace them with Marine squadrons.

I have found the following factors decisive ..

Away from home is key, but also away from Mavis patrols. Add in "advanced" weather which turns mother earth into a planet more like Hoth and it seems that one effect is ship based patrols being grounded more often then not. So this sets up a situation where search is mostly depedent on land based air. However, I have found it prudent to fly 10% of my TB and DB's on naval search because these airgroups do not seem to be checked for launch like ship based patrol craft in the environment of advanced weather and like it said above you want the KB with a high DL .. one little behavior I have seen is DL seems to effect sorties missing their target/ cannot find the target coming home ....

I have two encounters (I have only 2 PBEM games under my belt) with KB's both 5 ship KB's vs. all 6 USN CV's in 42 .. both times near Canton Island and out of Mavis range. Both times the USN got the first shot in the morning phase ...

One other thing so far as worked for me with advanced intel of the arrival of a IJ CVTF is seperating out my CV's into seperate 2 CV groups. I think it makes it harder for the IJ to find them all limiting losses .at a risk of possibly a CV group might be out of range .... just a thought ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 35
RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? - 9/11/2012 12:12:25 AM   
John Lansford

I've played WitP three times now and not lost a single CV as the Allies. I avoid the IJN CV horde like the plague in early 1942, but I saturate the area they will be operating in (usually north of Australia and SW Pacific) with Dutch, British and American S-boat subs. As many as you've got, and put them on patrols around Rabaul, Surabaya, Singapore, and Truk. With luck they'll get a few sightings on those carriers and get some torpedoes off at them, and THEIR torpedoes work!

Usually by mid-42 a couple of things have happened. The IJN has had a couple of big CV's damaged by torpedoes, and their aircrew complements are greatly reduced by their constant sorties in support of landings all over the map. Meanwhile, my CV's have been staying in groups of 2-3, raided convoys in the Central Pacific and SW regions, built up their experience and stayed healthy. Whenever the IJN sends their carriers within LBA range of my bases, I send everything plus the kitchen sink at them. No, they don't hit very often, but they do increase the sortie rate, some pilots get lost, planes get worn out, and very rarely I get a hit.

I've noticed that starting around May 42, the AI begins splitting the CV's into smaller TF's instead of one gigantic 6 CV group. When that happens, I begin positioning my CV's, either in the Central Pacific at Pearl or down at Suva or Sydney. When these smaller TF's (typically 2-3 CV's) come out, I go after them with every CV I have, plus as many surface attack TF's I can create without weakening my CV TF protection. I'm sending CA's and CL's with 3-5 DD's, with the most aggressive commanders I can get, and they've got one job; get to the carriers. The combination of surface TF's plus carriers prowling after them usually nets me 1-3 carriers hit or sunk, at the cost of some carrier damage and sunk surface ships.

It's 12/42 in my latest game, and the month before Zuikaku, Soryu and a CVL came down from Truk to interdict my landing at the Shortlands. I had three big carriers just outside of Rabaul seaplane detection range, but my Catalinas at Tulagi and Russell Island spotted them first. My LBA from Lunga and Tulagi attacked first, mostly DB's and 2E bombers, got a hit on Soryu and attracted a lot of return attention from the carrier bombers. My CV TF's came up east of the Solomons and hit the IJN force with full deck strikes, crippling Zuikaku and sinking Soryu. The depleted airstrike from the CVL and diverted bombers to land bases damaged Hornet but she'll survive. My return strikes sank Zuikaku and the CV's and LBA then hunted down the CVL later on.

So basically, be willing to concede everything north of Australia and NW of Noumea if necessary, but make it fight for everything it wants to take. Keep your CV's away from a huge fight until the AI starts breaking up the KB, then attack it piecemeal.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: How to prevent KB sucker punches? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI