Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet) vs Isokron (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet) vs Isokron (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/28/2012 4:57:14 PM   
Bonners

July 18th - No step back!

Further bad news awaits me around Rostov. If I thought the line was creaking the last run, then I need a new vocabulary to describe it now. The German breakthrough is imminent, but I must continue to try and hold it is my only hope. The same flanking move is made, but this time I am not strong enough to throw it back as it looks like German high command has thrown every available resource at these troops to enable them to dig in straight away following their offensive.

I am running out of options and troops. As stated previously though, this is the only offensive terrain for some miles, once the door is open I have nothing left to defend the Caucasus, so I continue to shove any spare unit I can find into the gaps. My failed coutnerattack is going to cost me dearly though as my troops are no longer dug in to defend. The only reserves I now have in the Caucasus are engineer units and AA units which I ma leaving behind to defend the bridges.

The only very small slithers of light are the fact that for the first time ever my total trooops numbers have gone up (although still well below 400k) and I have gained two prestige points for holding Azov.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 31
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/28/2012 7:19:37 PM   
Bonners

July 20th

Further bad news all around really....but....but....we still hold. I cant help but get the nagging feeling that once we do lose our grip the whole line is going to crumble. All the significant fighting is now in the south. In the north Isokron continues to close to the Don, but is obviously getting his significant forces ready in the south.

As we are rapidly running out of places to run to and those Stavka peeps are getting more than a little impatient, we finally commit 5th tank. Unfortunately their first attack does not go well. Our attacks are concentrated on III PZ with little success. I will wait until I open my next turn to see if I continue the attack or continue the retreat. One issue I have is that there are only two lines of supply so if the Germans cut the bridges then retreating will be the only option anyway. I was leaving AA units defending the bridges but have concentrated them around 5th tank as I feel they need the greater protection. This is even more important as I have received a note from my airforce commander wishing me good luck, but that not expect any of his brave pilots in the air for several weeks.

Retreating now presents its own problems though, I have suffered my first prestige loss from the 'no step back' order completely undoing all my good work in keeping Azov.

More bad news around Rostov as the German offensive edges forward, seemingly clearing areas at will.....I still continue to hold, but no counterattacks this turn. In worse news it will only be a few days before the German railway is up and running as I was not able to hold the important point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 32
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/29/2012 11:50:56 PM   
Bonners

22nd July Prelude to disaster

Not a lot to report on this turn apart from the fact that Soviet actions lead to the disaster that is about to happen on the next turn.

Anyway, around Rostov I um and um and then decide to counter-attack to try and stop the bridgeheads building all around me. These bridgeheads are too strong and I just lose entrenchment and make it easier for the Germans to breakout.

I also realise that the problem with 5th Tank counter-attacking was another mistake, in that I didnt really check their readiness. I now know that readiness is also badly reduced by constant movement. So the counter-attack was totally wasted. Also the Germans get some further bridgeheads further north which leads ot further Soviet retreats as I have nothing left to counter-attack with.

Overview:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 33
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/29/2012 11:59:37 PM   
Bonners

24th July - the door comes crashing down

...and finally the Germans breakthrough to the east of Rostov, my lines are about to be split asunder. I decide to hold Rostov for one more turn as I am hopeful I will then get the prestige which I desperately need as I am really suffering from the no step back order.

Once the Germans start streaming through there is no chance to form a line so it will be a case of retreating each turn before the German forces; I just dont have enough units left for a line. Up north I am also in full retreat. It is July, but the next defensive line is looking like being the Volga.

I have also found out that I have been using fortifications incorrectly which will explain why Isokron has been able to knock them over so easily. Apparently it is best to place them in an empty hex just before your units enter it and they automatically go up to 100 entrenchment immediately.

This is the low point for the Soviet forces, no lines have held, Stavka is demanding results and replacements are just about keeping the forces at the same level. Now it is a case of trying to hold the line until winter brings us some traditional Russian help.

Overview of the situation with the main German thrusts marked:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 34
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/30/2012 3:59:58 AM   
RCHarmon

There is no dishonor in falling back. A key might be to not hold on too long, but I am new to this game as well. Historically the Soviets we not in an ideal position either. Just don't lose Stalingrad or the rail line to the south.

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 35
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/30/2012 6:04:57 AM   
LiquidSky

Fortifications up the maximum entrenchment level of the hex. They, in themselves, don't give you any extra protection. So it is a very very bad idea to build them on the front lines, as the units will not gain much in the way of extra entrenchment (unless they are already at the max for the hex.) In order to bring down entrenchment level, all you need is artillery. I used 100 stacking points of artillery to absolutely rip one down to near nothing in my game. (was built in a plains hex).

Best place to put them is in the city hexes behind the lines...like Stalingrad. Or behind a river. Note you cannot fortify a vp hex, but the other hexes are fair game for your leaders with the fortify card.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 36
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/30/2012 10:21:31 PM   
Bonners

26th July - the true cost of Rostov

Well, I will receive my first significant prestige points next turn with managing to hold onto Rostov until the start of this turn. But the true cost of this is revealed. The German panzers continue their thrust to the south east and reach the railway line, swatting aside any Soviet units in their way. This means that the 56th army is totally trapped in Rostov with no way out, another 60k troops will soon meet their grizzly end. Once the encirclement is completed the whole of the Caucasus is an open door, there are no more troops to defend the line.

Elsewhere on the front there are no units left to hold the line as it rapidly stretches. As a defensive line we are now looking at Stalingrad and the Volga as my troops retreat as fast as possible to escape the trap of the Don bend, further north I am clinging on to the Don in places but there is nothing available to counter attack so once the Germans breach it will be full scale retreat.

Realistically I think my objectives now must be to try and hold onto one of the Black Sea Ports on the western front. In the centre I dont think I will get my lines together enough to hold Maikop, but may look at the possibility of making a stand around Grozny. Apart from that it is trying to hold Astrakhan to make sure my entire southern front is not cut off along with my oil supplies. Realistically Stalingrad cannot hold, but I shall make a stand there with infantry units only to give me time to hopefully build up a line behind the Volga and maybe around Astrakhan to keep supplies going to the Caucasus.

Troop numbers are not looking good, the unfortunate truth is that overall numbers will drop below 300k once the encircled 56th army meets its fate.

The only bright spark I can find is reading a bit of history, this was around the low point for Soviet forces, so I am still optimistic that I will hold the advance at some stage. The lack of prestige means that the most I have been able to do is build a fortification each turn, with holding Rostov I will hopefully have a few more turns of these before the minus prestige from the 'no step back' order begin to dig in.

Overview of the end of my turn with 56th army circled:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 37
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/30/2012 10:45:09 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Fortifications up the maximum entrenchment level of the hex. They, in themselves, don't give you any extra protection. So it is a very very bad idea to build them on the front lines, as the units will not gain much in the way of extra entrenchment (unless they are already at the max for the hex.) In order to bring down entrenchment level, all you need is artillery. I used 100 stacking points of artillery to absolutely rip one down to near nothing in my game. (was built in a plains hex).

Best place to put them is in the city hexes behind the lines...like Stalingrad. Or behind a river. Note you cannot fortify a vp hex, but the other hexes are fair game for your leaders with the fortify card.

I think they can only be built in clear hexes.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 38
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/30/2012 10:48:15 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bonners

26th July - the true cost of Rostov

Well, I will receive my first significant prestige points next turn with managing to hold onto Rostov until the start of this turn. But the true cost of this is revealed. The German panzers continue their thrust to the south east and reach the railway line, swatting aside any Soviet units in their way. This means that the 56th army is totally trapped in Rostov with no way out, another 60k troops will soon meet their grizzly end. Once the encirclement is completed the whole of the Caucasus is an open door, there are no more troops to defend the line.

Elsewhere on the front there are no units left to hold the line as it rapidly stretches. As a defensive line we are now looking at Stalingrad and the Volga as my troops retreat as fast as possible to escape the trap of the Don bend, further north I am clinging on to the Don in places but there is nothing available to counter attack so once the Germans breach it will be full scale retreat.

Realistically I think my objectives now must be to try and hold onto one of the Black Sea Ports on the western front. In the centre I dont think I will get my lines together enough to hold Maikop, but may look at the possibility of making a stand around Grozny. Apart from that it is trying to hold Astrakhan to make sure my entire southern front is not cut off along with my oil supplies. Realistically Stalingrad cannot hold, but I shall make a stand there with infantry units only to give me time to hopefully build up a line behind the Volga and maybe around Astrakhan to keep supplies going to the Caucasus.

Troop numbers are not looking good, the unfortunate truth is that overall numbers will drop below 300k once the encircled 56th army meets its fate.

The only bright spark I can find is reading a bit of history, this was around the low point for Soviet forces, so I am still optimistic that I will hold the advance at some stage. The lack of prestige means that the most I have been able to do is build a fortification each turn, with holding Rostov I will hopefully have a few more turns of these before the minus prestige from the 'no step back' order begin to dig in.

If you get split in two I hope you saved enough points to activate the Tilbisi supply center.

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 39
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/30/2012 11:38:24 PM   
wallas

quote:

This means that the 56th army is totally trapped in Rostov with no way out

Transports can embark a single unit from a coast line as long as they have AP available. If you can hold that port each transport can carry a division so potentialy you could save four divisions if you retain the port

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 40
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/31/2012 9:35:36 PM   
Bonners

28th July - the race begins

Now it is a foot race to see who can can units back into the Caucasus the quickest, unfortunately the Germans have brought a lot of motorized transport to the race which would appear to be a tad unsporting - there is only so quickly my little infantry units can retreat.

Right now it is a case of prioritising my fall back positions. First priority has to be Stalingrad, if the Germans get over the Volga then it is game over. The next priority is to the North of Stalingrad as there is a big hole in my lines caused by the constant stretching of the front. So initial reinforcements will all be directed there. Aster that it is a race against time to reinforce Astrakhan, Maikop and the Black Sea Ports. Astrakhan has to take absolute priority over the other two as once that rail line is split then there is no supply for my units in the South. There is no way I can afford the 200pps to build a new supply centre at Tbilisi. On a brighter note it actually doesnt matter if the southern units dont get much supply as at the moment they only consist of about 3 infantry divisions and a couple of artillery units, so that is good news

The Rostov armies get totally cut off by the Germans this turn; the transports turn around as the Germans are quick to cut access to the coast so a seaborne evacuation is not possible. The troops sit tight awaiting their doom in Rostov safe in the knowledge that their sacrifice will not be forgotten by Mother Russia. It will also gain me two more days for the Germans to get the rail net up and working.

Despite the disadvantages of creating new armies I have little choice as it is better to have units under some kind of army control rather than being too far away from their respective armies. Therefore a new army is created behind Stalingrad to begin the defence. I use some precious pps to give it some staff and also play a Stavka and Front card to give it some experience.

The overall proportion of forces is not looking too good. With the Rostov armies still in existence the Russian troop numbers temporarily number 350k (but this will soon drop dramatically), German troops numbers have now passed the 800k mark. Also there have been no significant losses in airpower or tanks for the Germans.

Overview of the front line, such as it is, at the end of the turn:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wallas)
Post #: 41
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 10/31/2012 11:06:30 PM   
wallas

Bonner run for the mountains in the Southern caucasus the open terrain is lost. Plug up any road or rail line leading into the moutains. Make your new front in the narrow strip along the caspian sea with the moutains to your left and protect Baku. Put an army is astrakhan and defend it. The rest of whats left in the south put behind the major river infront of stalingard, and defend stalingrad with at least 1 division in each hex. Your in dire straights and need to take drastic measures.

How I see your situation,

< Message edited by wallas -- 10/31/2012 11:20:12 PM >

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 42
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 9:20:06 AM   
Bonners

quote:

ORIGINAL: wallas

Bonner run for the mountains in the Southern caucasus the open terrain is lost. Plug up any road or rail line leading into the moutains. Make your new front in the narrow strip along the caspian sea with the moutains to your left and protect Baku. Put an army is astrakhan and defend it. The rest of whats left in the south put behind the major river infront of stalingard, and defend stalingrad with at least 1 division in each hex. Your in dire straights and need to take drastic measures.

How I see your situation,

I think you're spot on. The only bit I'll struggle with is plugging the roads on the way to the mountains. I think the best I can manage is to blow the bridges as I dont really have units to spare to do last stands on the roads. Time will have to be my plug on the roads.

(in reply to wallas)
Post #: 43
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 12:36:50 PM   
James Ward

quote:

The Rostov armies get totally cut off by the Germans this turn; the transports turn around as the Germans are quick to cut access to the coast so a seaborne evacuation is not possible. The troops sit tight awaiting their doom in Rostov safe in the knowledge that their sacrifice will not be forgotten by Mother Russia. It will also gain me two more days for the Germans to get the rail net up and working.

You can try to disband the Rostov armies and maybe get some troops out that way. They are toast anyway you look at it.

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 44
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 12:44:38 PM   
Bonners

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

quote:

You can try to disband the Rostov armies and maybe get some troops out that way. They are toast anyway you look at it.

That is a really good idea, but a bit too gamey for my liking. If I was in this situation against the AI then I'd give it a go.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 45
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 1:05:46 PM   
James Ward

quote:

That is a really good idea, but a bit too gamey for my liking. If I was in this situation against the AI then I'd give it a go.

Think of them as stragglers who made it back to your lines. :)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 46
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 3:54:27 PM   
wallas

quote:

excellent suggestions but does that work if no port or no supply ?

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 47
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 3:57:17 PM   
wallas

quote:

I think you're spot on. The only bit I'll struggle with is plugging the roads on the way to the mountains. I think the best I can manage is to blow the bridges as I dont really have units to spare to do last stands on the roads. Time will have to be my plug on the roads.

I use rail as the russians more for getting away from the German front lines then railing units to the front line. Regarding plugging up roads and rail, I mean the ones in the moutains.

< Message edited by wallas -- 11/1/2012 4:05:09 PM >

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 48
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 4:02:06 PM   
James Ward

quote:

quote:

excellent suggestions but does that work if no port or no supply ?

I don't know but they are lost anyway so why not try it :)

(in reply to wallas)
Post #: 49
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/1/2012 4:02:47 PM   
James Ward

quote:

quote:

I use rail as the russians more for getting away from the German front lines then railing units to the front line.

Speed cards help too.

(in reply to wallas)
Post #: 50
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/5/2012 4:02:15 PM   
Bonners

July 30th - We Love the Leadership of Comrade Stalin Day

No map to update this turn as not much happened due to a lovely mud turn. I may, note use of the word 'may' get a turn or two of respite as I notice that JU52s are flying plentiful supply missions south of Rostov. I presume Isokron's forces will take Rostov this turn as the infantry have caught up and he'll then need one more turn to fix the rail net, so hopefully I can run faster than that. I'm thinking of trying to make a front line stretching along the river from Krasnador to Maikop on one flank as that is where he will first get into contact. Maybe I should retreat all the way into the mountains though before making a stand?

So, beyond clearing up a few stragglers no real German offensive action this turn. The remains of my armies continue to retreat out of the Don bend; again it will take a couple of turns, but I need to decide whether to try and fight in front of Stalingrad by the Don or whether to retreat further. I'm thinking two armies to go north, the new 1st army to defend Stalingrad and two armies to gradually retreat towards Astrakhan. Whatever decision I make I have already starting fortifying the new 1st army in Stalingrad and the shell of 24th army has been railed to Astrakhan.

One thing I am not sure of is how to supply troops in Stalingrad? There are obviously no bridges so is there any way to supply the troops once the road and rail net gets cut from north and south? If not am I just wasting troops in Stalingrad and would I be better off retreating to the East bank of the Volga?

Anyway, all this is really immaterial as the troops under my command have decided to name this day the 'We Love Comrade Stalin Day'. Showing htat he has a far greater understanding of the strategic situation than myself, Comrade Stalin has told the cut off and out of supply troops in Rostov that they still have a purpose and that they will be helping the motherland greatly by holding on until August 13th. I cant tell you how happy and pleased my troops were to get this command. This is what we need, combine this with the 'no step back' order and discipline by itself is sure to halt the German attack.

We move forward sure in the knowledge that nothing can stop our defence of the motherland

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 51
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/5/2012 9:58:07 PM   
Bonners

1st August - fly you fools, fly!

Where to start? Well, let us start with the good news. I now have total freedom of operations from Stavka. With the loss of Rostov and other cities combined with the 'no step back' order I now have zero prestige, so there is nothing Stavka can now do to me.

In the Caucasus there is now nothing to stop the Germans. My troops suffered in the mud turn and have not been able to retreat fast enough. The Germans manage to overtake several of my retreating units who will now be cut off next turn. The defence of the Caucasus rests with a couple of artillery units, HQs and the Coastal Army that was rescued from Sevastapol. Any units that are still connected to the rail network I try and withdraw but a German reconnaissance unit of assault guns manages to cut the rail net in two which will lead to further units probably being cut off. All I can do in the Caucasus is run:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 52
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/5/2012 10:02:15 PM   
Bonners

1st August _ Stalingrad Front

Well, the Caucasus was the good news. Around Stalingrad I again was not able to retreat my troops fast enough, 60th motorized cuts across the Volga and manages to take a surprise bridgehead. I new there was a huge gap in my lines but I just couldnt fill it quickly enough. I very much doubt I can stop them so I am thinking that I will now not defend in front of Stalingrad. but instead will retreat all forces north and south to plug the gaps. 60th motorized could actually be the lesser of two evils as there are now large German forces pushing up from the south west where there is nothing to stop them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 53
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/6/2012 9:57:38 PM   
Bonners

5th August Caucasus

I didnt do an update last turn as the Germans paused for breath to try and catch their supplies up. This turn the full fury of the offensive was again unleashed. Because I have inflicted so little damage the Germans seems to be powerful for three main thrusts into the Caucasus. What little rail lines I still possess cannot connect to rail my troops out, the sheer pace of the German attack continues to overtake my poor foot soldiers. Various straggler units succumb to the Germans with yet more being surrounded and will be out of supply and die in a couple of turns. Any unit that makes it to a rail hex is immediately railed out. I am going to leave the odd unit to act as a sacrifice in the mountains, but I am rapidly retreated to the South as fast as I can. The Germans will take Maikop without a fight. Grozny will definitely fall, but I have decided that is where I will start to make my stand, any units that are left will then make their final stand around Baku.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 54
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/6/2012 10:03:17 PM   
Bonners

5th August - Stalingrad

I am still none the wiser as to how I can get supply to the units I have left to defend Stalingrad, but I am committed to a defence now. Unfortunately I ran out of time and prestige to fortify all the light urban hexes.

5th tank and 46th army continue to retreat to the north. Meanwhile 24th army will now work its way south. unfortunately there is now rail net for 24th army so most units will be lost as they are overtaken by the advancing Germans. Meanwhile I am trying to reinforce Astrakhan with 21st army to make a last stand.

The units to the north now have to make a stand, just because they are rapidly running out of places to run to. 5th tank makes a couple of spoiling attacks to the north of Stalingrad, but I dont expect this to do much, but maybe it will slow the Germans down enough for me to get a defensive line of sorts in place.

All in all not a good turn. On a brighter note Comrade Stalin will be pleased as we have actually stood and fought around Stalingrad.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 55
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/9/2012 7:14:37 PM   
Bonners

7th August - Stalingrad

Not a lot to report on for the next couple of turns, so a quick recap. Up north and in the Caucasus my troops continue to retreat and continue to get overtaken by the Germans which will eventually lead to further encirclements.

The main battles are the Germans clearing the paths to Stalingrad. To be honest he is flicking away my resistance with ease. 5th tank I cant get up to full readiness for the whole army to attack, so there are a couple of small scale attacks which are not enough to blunt him, but may do small amounts of damage. His forces are inexorably building up though and I just dont have anything left to stop them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 56
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/9/2012 7:18:52 PM   
Bonners

9th August -Stalingrad

Unfortunately I didnt take a decent screen shot, but this turn was another disaster. Unfortunately a mud turn which really works in the German's favour at this stage. My troops have to continue their retreat with readiness continually dropping. Meanwhile the German panzers have a turn off to rest up, regain supply and readiness. The 24th army is now in a dire position and in danger of further encirclements, unfortunately jsut cropped off the screenshot.

Similarly the 47th army is in danger of being cut off in the Caucasus, I just couldnt get the remaining troops near enough to a complete rail line as again Isokron is quick to send out recon units to cut the lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 57
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/9/2012 7:24:07 PM   
Bonners

11th August - Stalingrad

This screenshot rather neatly shows the remains of the 24th army as they are surrounded by the advancing panzers. Unfortunately this means that the lines to Astrakhan are also now wide open as my plan was to gradually retreat this army along the line of the Volga.

Similarly to the north of Stalingrad 5th tank continues to be cut to ribbons, I darent counterattack as no units are now in a fit state to do so. The Luftwaffe also have free reign in the skies and with little AA cover left the tank units continue to get cut up. Further north although there is little in the way of motorized units the Germans cut through the lines in several places. At least here I have more time to retreat and recover readiness with the lack of motorized units following up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 58
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/9/2012 7:29:52 PM   
Bonners

11th August - Caucasus

...and finally a brief overview of what I have left in the Caucasus. I am trying to leave one unit behind in each mountain pass, although I am not too sure how good they will do. Ideally i would like entrenchment cards, but they are a thing of the past and prestige points. With the encirclement of 47th army I have to create a new HQ so I at least have something in charge. Apart from the group of units in Astrakhan digging in and one mobile brigade trying to cover the coastal rail ine, this shows all my remaining troops in the Caucasus. Every unit is now either going to Astrakhan or the Caucasus, but I dont have enough troops to even hold the river line at the moment and am expecting those pesky Germans to be showing up soon.

My positive note for this turn is about how quickly my turns are played out. It is amazing how quickly a turn can be completed with only a few units. Obviously this is all part of a new Soviet master plan; with Isokron's troops now well in excess of 800k he will hopefully soon start to suffer from repetitive strain injury from trying to advance all his troops

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 59
RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet)... - 11/9/2012 10:10:00 PM   
Bonners

13th August - mud, lurvurllly mud!

Finally an update that is positively oozing with positive energy on a very positive day. The Soviet mud hits hard. Any Soviet unit that cant retreat is already scuppered, so most units stay in place with little in the way of movement as we are already on our next retreat lines. For the first time in days Soviet units start to recover supply and readiness. I even have a tank corp in 5th tank with 100% readiness; what to do with such riches!

Anyway, the battered remains of 24th army meet their doom south of Stalingrad. Also the final unit of 47th army, the HQ, meets its doom. Isokron attacks, makes it retreat and then, as he put it, he tries to steal the last of the vodka ration. It is not pretty as the HQ unit takes 15 German tanks with it on its way to its demise.

Meanwhile more reinforcements start to trickle into the southern Caucasus, there will at least be a fight for Astrakhan and Baku and maybe Grozny. The remains of the coastal army have also now got at least one infantry brigade guarding each of the mountain passes. They wont be able to do much, but at least they are sitting entrenched and will be able to hold the Germans up.

All in all not a bad turn.

Forgot to get a screenshot but was having a look at stats.

Total German troops now about 830k, total losses only 50k

Total Soviet troops 330k, total losses................over 500k...ouch!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> RE: CB (Long, if I last until Winter): Bonners (Soviet) vs Isokron (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI