Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Saper)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Saper) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/2/2013 6:51:51 AM   
Harrybanana

Meanwhile in the Stalino Area he only makes one attack with an all infantry force. I must say this surprises me as I expected him to make a major push here. Perhaps my heavy line of forts here dissuaded him, too bad.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 2/2/2013 6:52:57 AM >

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 331
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/2/2013 6:55:46 AM   
Harrybanana

It looks like he may be building up to attack across the kerch straits. Last turn I reconned a German mountain division and airborne division here.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 332
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/2/2013 6:57:17 AM   
Harrybanana

There is also a large concentration of German troops in the Bryansk Orel area.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 333
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/2/2013 6:59:16 AM   
Harrybanana

I'm still not sure if he will be launching an offensive West or NW of Moscow or not; but it is beginning to look less likely.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 2/2/2013 7:00:20 AM >

Post #: 334
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/6/2013 4:45:15 PM   
Harrybanana

We have now completed Turn 51 (June 4, 1942) and I am awaiting Saper's T52. We have had nothing but mud in The North Soviet Zone so no attacks there. However, we have had clear weather in the Central, South and Eurpopean Zones the last two turns.

Below is the screen shot from T50 of the situation East of Kharkov. On T51 he simply expanded a further hex East.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 2/6/2013 4:50:54 PM >

Post #: 335
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/6/2013 4:48:52 PM   
Harrybanana

Below is the situation East of Stalino. Saper continues to assault my lines here with an all infantry force and on my turn I counterattack where I can. The result is he is slowly pushing me back.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 336
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/6/2013 4:55:32 PM   
Harrybanana

As you can see Saper did suceesfully assault me across the Kerch Peninusula (after several softening attacks) and is slowly pushing me back here as well. But I am getting some kicks in of my own, so at least I am making him pay for this real estate. His attack is spearheaded by The DR Motorized, the 25th Motorized, the 22nd Airlanding and the 5th Mountain divisions. I have reinforced the area with 4 Cavalry Corps.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 337
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/6/2013 5:09:06 PM   
Harrybanana

Here is the OOB, Losses and Production information from the start of my T51. On this turn I built 6 Guards Infantry Corps. I don't plan on building too many more prior to January 43 unless circumstances are favourable.

I have changed my defensive plan once again. I am fairly confident that Saper's major offensive will be in the North Soviet Zone. Accordingly I have allocated my best units to the central part of the Map as local reserves, primarily in the Tula to Voronezh Area, and now have a very small Strategic Reserve. However, These local reserves are either on or within one hex of rail lines, so they can be moved North or South quickly if required. We'll see how this works out for me.

With resepct to support units for my Corps I have been building lots of Sapper Regiments. But can anyone tell me why these regiments are to be prefeered to the Engineer-Sapper Brigades? The brigades have more Sapper Squads so I thought would be better, but the conventional wisdom seems to be to build the regiments.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 338
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/6/2013 5:29:29 PM   
Flaviusx

Because engineer sapper brigades are a non combat SU. Construction only.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 339
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/6/2013 10:23:11 PM   
M60A3TTS

If his game with Kamil is an indicator, you can expect him to press hard across the Kerch peninsula into the Kuban. I would not hesitate to keep sending what troops you can spare down there to counter his move.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 340
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/8/2013 4:01:56 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Because engineer sapper brigades are a non combat SU. Construction only.

That's a very good reason.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 341
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/8/2013 4:04:40 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

If his game with Kamil is an indicator, you can expect him to press hard across the Kerch peninsula into the Kuban. I would not hesitate to keep sending what troops you can spare down there to counter his move.

I have two STAVKA Armies there now, but he continues to make slow progress. Since he is not combining this attack with a major assault towards Rostov I don't really know what he hopes to gain.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 342
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/8/2013 4:30:43 PM   
Harrybanana

Turn 52 was a bit the opposite weather wise from the last two turns; clear in the North Soviet Zone and mud in the Central and South Zones. As a result Saper launches a 3 pronged attack in the area from Orel to Voronezh. No disasters to report as he only managed to punch through the first line or two of my defences. I'm actually a bit surprised at how weak his units are. I was expecting him to have several panzer and even infantry divisions with CVs of 15+, but in fact he only has a few panzer/motorized in the 13 CV range and his best infantry divisions have CVs of 7 to 9 (except for the mountain and airlanding divisions).

He has a total of 33 panzer/motorized divisions in the area from Orel to Voronezh and another 2 in the Kerch Peninsula (well I guess actually they are across the strait from the Kerch Peninsula, but I don't know what that area is called). Does anyone know if that is all of them?

Below is a closeup of the 1st prong of his attack near Orel. The rifle division circled in red is a mistake of mine; I accidentally moved it through 2 enemy controlled hexes so it didn't have enough movement to get back to it's own lines. I was able to counterattack one of his panzer/motorized stacks in this area.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 343
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/8/2013 4:37:12 PM   
Harrybanana

The screenshot below shows the other 2 prongs of his attack. As I have my best units in this area (including all 6 of my rifle corps) I was able to make several successful attacks on the stacks of his lead panzer units, even though these stacks had CVs of 18 to 28.

I have the morale soft factor turned on and the other thing that surprises me is that many of Saper's best units are no longer elite.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 2/8/2013 4:41:44 PM >

Post #: 344
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/8/2013 4:42:37 PM   
Harrybanana

The Area across from the Kerch Peninsula.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 345
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/8/2013 5:02:19 PM   
Flaviusx

I think you need a bit more down by Kerch and some garrisons digging in Novorossisk and Krasnodar. You're relying entirely on a one hex choke point that is barely fortified and the moment he busts past that it's going to open up down there. I would consider tasking the area with a whole other army and putting both of these under a Front command. Otherwise things are looking good and I'm favorably impressed by how well the Red Army recovered here despite a not amazing replacement situation. Over 7 million going into summer 42 is quite respectable. Looks like you fought the blizzard on the cheap and didn't burn yourself out, which is exactly right imo.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 346
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/8/2013 7:41:37 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana
He has a total of 33 panzer/motorized divisions in the area from Orel to Voronezh and another 2 in the Kerch Peninsula (well I guess actually they are across the strait from the Kerch Peninsula, but I don't know what that area is called).

It's the Taman Peninsula.

Post #: 347
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 2:30:26 AM   
Peltonx

Weather is a huge help and 7 million seems normal for a random weather game.

This game looks allot like my game vs Hugh at this point.

I expect Sapper will get some pockets but burn out quickly, then we will see if he has the stomach and skill to run a good GHC defence.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 348
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:21:36 AM   
randallw

Where are those panzer stacks heading to? To achieve a serious encirclement they'll have to close it on the other side of the main river, and that will cost them.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 349
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:27:07 PM   
Harrybanana

T53

The Bad News: The Weather was clear in all 4 Zones. It is only June 18th and (unless I am once again misreading the Random Weather Table) the odds of this happening was less than 0.5%. Maybe Saper will be as lucky with the weather in 1942 as I was in 1941.

The Good News: No disasters to report.

The Bad News: I didn't achieve a single "Held" result against Saper's attacks. Meanwhile of my 11 Counterattacks I only won 7.

The Good News: Despite losing all those battles the casualty loss ratio isn't too bad. Also 2 of my 7 wins were against a couple of Panzer Stacks.

Below is the situation in the North where the Finnish Army has finally made an appearance.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 350
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:28:24 PM   
Harrybanana

The situation around Rzhev

Attachment (1)

Post #: 351
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:29:30 PM   
Harrybanana

Orel to Voronezh

Attachment (1)

Post #: 352
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:30:59 PM   
Harrybanana

Boguchar

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 2/9/2013 10:31:24 PM >

Post #: 353
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:32:37 PM   
Harrybanana

NW of Rostov

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 2/9/2013 10:35:05 PM >

Post #: 354
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:43:30 PM   
Harrybanana

The Taman Peninsula (Thanks M60)

I contemplated following Flavius's advice, but the problem with moving a Front down here now and joining the STAVKA Army HQs to it is that all of my Fronts are already filled with Army HQs. So I would first have to transfer some of these armies to STAVKA, and that would cost a lot of APs. Alternatively, I could switch the armies (and their attached divisions) I have here with the Armies already attached to the Front, but that would be a lot of reorganization. So I have settled for moving more STAVKA divisions to the Taman Peninsula as reinforcements.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 2/9/2013 10:45:09 PM >

Post #: 355
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:47:48 PM   
Harrybanana

My 2 most successful attacks (despite my own tank losses).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 356
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/9/2013 10:52:25 PM   
Harrybanana

And two attacks that, due to the #$@&! LAH SS Motorized division, were not so successful (though in both cases subsequent attacks did clear the enemy hexes).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 357
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/10/2013 2:05:30 AM   
Flaviusx

So far as Front capacity goes, I'm willing to overload them up to 5 armies apiece. By 1943 things catch up and they can manage that many.

Taman looks ok but...garrisons, man, garrisons. Don't let him cheese his way into Krasnodar or Novorossisk with an airdrop. And cities anywhere near the front ought to be garrisoned on general principles. Stick something in there, even a brigade. They'll dig in quick now, too, since he's close enough to trigger urban labor.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 358
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/10/2013 8:56:59 PM   
gingerbread

Honestly, your army is too good in both size and quality for this to be interesting. You have done well yourself and you've also had help from saper in that he choose not to engage ASAP after the blizzard. The no-attrition period is the source for at least 500k of you OOB as well as some 100's of kARM in you pool and also probably some of the quality increase of the units.

This is in no way intended to take away your achievement - you played the situation as it occurred and played it well. It's more a lesson to be learned for the Axis side. One cannot allow the Bear to hibernate undisturbed.

As to the game, I concur with Flaviusx regarding the back door and would in addition suggest that you scrounge up an Air Army and some Airbases loaded with FB groups. Also, (I usually try hard not to repeat myself, but) you can most certainly afford to take some/all mountain divisions away from the main front and base them in the Caucasus Mountains. If disaster strikes at Novorossisk, you want them there already.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 359
RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Sa... - 2/10/2013 9:07:10 PM   
Flaviusx

Yeah, attrition is no joke, and can account for 30-40k in losses each turn. So reducing that to zero or near enough is a huge jump in effective replacements. Instead of 65-70k a turn net, you're going up to 100k or about a 50% increase. That's not taking into account improvements in morale and armaments.

I was wondering how on earth you managed to get your numbers up so high going into summer of 42, and this explains it pretty much by itself. So indeed the Axis must contrive to hug the bear and not give him a free pass in the spring rasputitsa.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Saper) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI