Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated December 7, 2012)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated December 7, 2012) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/18/2012 4:04:25 PM   
arioch

fan-freaking-tastic!

I did have to put the original galaxy backdrop back in place, as I could not see my sneaky neighbor's SOI.
I also seem to have lost the health bar above the ships? Which doesn't make sense but could care less cuz it looks so good.

Thanks for the outstanding mod.

DW+ROTS+Legends+1.7.0.16 update+GEM 2.3+Sirian mods

(in reply to putzinator)
Post #: 61
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/18/2012 4:56:15 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: arioch

fan-freaking-tastic!

I did have to put the original galaxy backdrop back in place, as I could not see my sneaky neighbor's SOI.
I also seem to have lost the health bar above the ships? Which doesn't make sense but could care less cuz it looks so good.

Thanks for the outstanding mod.

Press D a few times to get the bars back.

Darkspire

(in reply to arioch)
Post #: 62
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/19/2012 5:37:05 PM   
Martian

to SecuransRule, Ralzakark, putzinator, arioch

You are welcome!

Today I've finally finished some very urgent work (not for modding) which made me extremely busy for whole last week up to THIS MORNING!
So now as my schedule is back to normal I will return to DW modding in my spare time. I guess you can expect some updates and fixes for GEM within this week.

< Message edited by Martian -- 12/19/2012 5:47:55 PM >

(in reply to putzinator)
Post #: 63
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/19/2012 5:39:27 PM   
Martian

to Darkspire
quote:

Press D a few times to get the bars back.

Thanks for the hint, I didn't know that!

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 64
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/20/2012 7:56:16 PM   
Buio

Awesome work, the outline on the ships is a brilliant idea.

I do use my own galaxy map. Just a black image I easily made myself (the game wouldn't run if I just removed it). I'm conservative when it comes to the map I guess.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 65
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/22/2012 9:10:32 AM   
Martian

to Buio

Thank you!

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 66
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/22/2012 9:45:16 AM   
Martian

Mod is updated to 2.4 version.

Update includes:

- Added requested alternative version of shipset without colour outlines. Maybe, in the future versions I will remove colour outlines from mod's standard shipset as well, replacing them with hull's "insignia" for all of controllable ships, in a similar way as I did for military ships.

- Improved planet graphics for all planets (except gas giants, as usual). I made new atmospheric effects from a scratch. Hope you will find it to be an improvement over previous version.

Continental planets

Desert planets

Iceglacial planets

Marshyswamp planets

Oceanic planets

Volcanic planets

Barrenrock planets

- Updated version of galaxy backdrop. Slightly redesigned and significantly desaturated to improve contrast between backdrop and active objects on the map. I know that the contrast is still not perfect, but I see no way to improve it other than making it very very dark and even more desaturated, which will make it look extremely boring. The problem could be solved in future releases of the DW with different approach of colour & style coding for the active elements on the galaxy view.

< Message edited by Martian -- 12/22/2012 10:39:26 AM >

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 67
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/22/2012 9:52:11 AM   
Buio

I like the new backdrop, gonna try it. Good with optional outlines. I like them, as a beginner to the game it makes it easier for me. But maybe when I know the game, I can recognize ships without it.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 68
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/22/2012 5:09:39 PM   
Ponicus

Awesome. Downloading now. Thank you for all your hard work.

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 69
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/22/2012 6:37:55 PM   
Martian

to Ponicus

Waiting for your feedback about new atmospheric effect.

(in reply to Ponicus)
Post #: 70
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/22/2012 7:40:58 PM   
Ponicus

I really like what you've done with the new atmospheres. Looks really good in 1080. I like how the barren planets look. Really adds texture to their cratered surfaces.

Also thanks for the alternate shipset. I'm using that right now. For some reason it really makes the game look better to me. The ships stand out more and seem to have more detail and depth to them.

I'm rocking your full mod and Sirian's resource and component mods and the game feels like it had a total graphic overhaul. Loving it.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 71
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/23/2012 4:19:18 AM   
Martian

Thanks for quick response.
I am very glad you liked new atmosphere!
I tried to make the atmosphere look more realistic while trying to maintain good "eye-candy" balance. Personally I like desert & iceglacial planet look the best.

I know, for volcanic planets some people may prefer original barren-rocky style over hazy-red one I made. But I still believe that with so many constant volcanic eruptions the atmosphere there just can't be plain and transparent. So I decided to keep it enough thick and foggy.

(in reply to Ponicus)
Post #: 72
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/23/2012 9:36:26 AM   
Buio

I run with the 2.4 backdrop now. It's a lot better for clarity with all factions. And the planets are improved too.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 73
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/24/2012 4:35:59 AM   
Martian

Thanks for your feedback!

I wonder, which graphical elements have changed in the "Shadows"? I don't want to mod things which will be improved or altered by developer. It would be nice if someone of "Shadows" beta testers could share the info about "graphics" NOT changed?

< Message edited by Martian -- 12/24/2012 4:55:16 AM >

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 74
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/31/2012 10:48:03 PM   
Hawawaa

Impressive work! Gonna install this mod this weekend!

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 75
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/1/2013 1:35:25 AM   
Baleur

Seriously, those planets atmospheres are redonkulously similar to mine. You could at least have given credit for the idea/aesthetic direction. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965615

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 76
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/1/2013 3:23:16 AM   
Martian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

Seriously, those planets atmospheres are redonkulously similar to mine. You could at least have given credit for the idea/aesthetic direction. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965615

What?! Similar to yours? Are you serious?
Give you credit? For what?! Don't flatter yourself.
Just FYI: I didn't even know about existence of your mod before you started to spam this thread with your links.
I used real space photos and some great sci-fi art for inspiration.
But I won't be surprised if you say the God himself should also give you credit for making the Earth and other planets.

You better find other ways than spamming and slandering others to promote your mod.

And "be modest! It is the kind of pride least likely to offend".

< Message edited by Martian -- 1/1/2013 5:11:36 AM >

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 77
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/1/2013 3:30:15 AM   
Martian

to Hawawaa

Thanks, pal.

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 78
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/1/2013 4:55:08 PM   
w1p

new backdrop is superb ! Thanks

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 79
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/2/2013 6:56:27 AM   
Ardilus

This is a must-have package. Loving the new backdrop - it really captures the mood of DW!

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 80
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/2/2013 11:52:35 AM   
Martian

to w1p, Ardilus

Thank you, guys! You feedback is appreciated.

(in reply to Ardilus)
Post #: 81
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/2/2013 12:54:56 PM   
Dd_01

AWESOME. Really must-have-thing, man Totally love ui, stars, ruins and lands.
If only game used more than 2-4 landscape images...

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 82
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/4/2013 5:49:43 PM   
Martian

to Dd_01

Thanks!
I guess it's very easy for Elliot to remove "landscapes" limit. If he is aware of this issue, I'm almost sure it will be fixed in Shadows.

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 83
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/5/2013 5:10:42 PM   
nadia911

All images of the planets are exactly the same as the Baleur mod with a slight variation of color ...
"I used real space photos and some great sci-fi art for inspiration" and Baleur's mod...

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 84
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/5/2013 5:41:46 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: nadia911

All images of the planets are exactly the same as the Baleur mod with a slight variation of color ...
"I used real space photos and some great sci-fi art for inspiration" and Baleur's mod...

Wondered when someone else would mention it. Ive been collecting DW resources for the last couple of years.
A simple credit would have avoided all the handbag swinging

Darkspire

(in reply to nadia911)
Post #: 85
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/5/2013 11:47:16 PM   
Haree78

You guys accusing him of copying Baleur realise that both Baleur and Martian are using the original Distant Worlds images as base? Neither of them generated them planet images from scratch.
It would have been an odd thing for Martian to have based his images on those released by Baleur who had just recoloured the original Distant Worlds images.

They look to me to be a vastly different colour palette. I really can't see what the fuss is about.

< Message edited by Haree78 -- 1/5/2013 11:48:32 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 86
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/6/2013 3:13:38 AM   
Martian

quote:

ORIGINAL: nadia911

to nadia911

Honestly, even if you are a troll, I recommend you to read & think carefully before posting a message, it will help you to avoid looking so stupid as you do now:

If you read carefully, you will notice that Baleur didn't mention just planets, he mentioned the planet's atmospheres. And that's for the reason, because planets themselves are based on original DW images, both in his mod and mine. And that's why I called them improved planets (not new planets) in my mod description. Even more, if you check the my changelog on the same first page you will find clear statement: "Upgraded original graphics for all planets...".

So as you can see I've never claimed I made planets in my mod from the scratch, but I don't understand why I should give credit to Baleur. Is he a creator of original DW planets?

If you really don't see difference between his mod and mine then I guess you are either blind or mentally disabled person. Or most probably a very fat troll.

(in reply to nadia911)
Post #: 87
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/6/2013 3:26:06 AM   
Martian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire
Wondered when someone else would mention it. Ive been collecting DW resources for the last couple of years.
A simple credit would have avoided all the handbag swinging

Darkspire

Please explain me why I should credit someone who has completely no relation to my mod.
Can you also point clearly what makes you think my mod is based on his one? Otherwise you are just another troll.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 88
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/6/2013 3:39:25 AM   
Martian

to Haree78

Thank you, Haree.

quote:

It would have been an odd thing for Martian to have based his images on those released by Baleur who had just recoloured the original Distant Worlds images.

Exactly! You may not believe me when I say I didn't even know about his mod, but you can't deny this simple logic, written in Haree's comment.

Especially in a view of the fact that I completely disliked the look of the planets in Baleur's mod.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 89
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/6/2013 3:34:54 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

To Martian:

Whoa, friend!
You're doing a good job, and while I agree with you and Haree, please forgive me, but IMHO you overreacted a bit to those three critical statements. I would not use the terms "troll" and "stupid" in any first reply to any message. Then on second thought, in any second reply either...
Anyway, happy Orthodox Easter, everyone!

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated December 7, 2012) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI