Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated December 7, 2012)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated December 7, 2012) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/6/2013 3:39:35 PM   
Sarissofoi

Great job.

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 91
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/6/2013 6:17:13 PM   
Martian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne

To Martian:

Whoa, friend!
You're doing a good job, and while I agree with you and Haree, please forgive me, but IMHO you overreacted a bit to those three critical statements. I would not use the terms "troll" and "stupid" in any first reply to any message. Then on second thought, in any second reply either...
Anyway, happy Orthodox Easter, everyone!

Thank you, Gareth!
I appreciate your conciliatory opinion, and basically I agree that my reaction was a bit too strong. But I prefer to call a spade a spade.

These guys have publicly accused me in stealing of other's content without even bothering themselves to provide any proofs. Basically, they call me a thief. To me this is a very serious accusation and should never be made lightly. And I find it much more insulting than "troll" or "stupid".

If they are sincere and sane people they could first try to talk to me nicely to figure out if I really "used" Baleur mod. But from the very beginning they chose another way: without any reasons they started to insult me. Why would normal people do that?

I am generally quite a mild person and usually respond politely to any stranger, but don't expect me to be "politically correct" to impudent slanderers. Unless they prove their accusations or bring their apologies I have no reason to think otherwise about them.

Added:

P.S. I don't want to boast myself but I work as CG artist for quite many years, I love to create things myself and respect other artists work. I don't have any need nor motivation to steal someone else content. As you probably noticed, other than this mod I am not very active in the forums. I just enjoy doing this mod for myself in my spare time and happy to share it with everybody who likes it. I get no profit from this. And then someone appears and tells me I stole it from his mod which I didn't even knew about. Of course, I was upset. And if people on this forum really think I've stolen Baleur's work then I have no problem to stop releasing this mod publicly.

< Message edited by Martian -- 1/6/2013 7:06:25 PM >

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 92
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 1/6/2013 6:19:14 PM   
Martian

to Sarissofoi

Thank you!

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 93
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 1/7/2013 7:49:42 AM   
Peef

thanks a lot, installing right away tonight!!

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 94
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 1/7/2013 5:47:37 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

Thank you Martian, this is a great improvement.

(in reply to Peef)
Post #: 95
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 1/8/2013 4:17:18 AM   
Martian

To Peef and Cpt Sherwood:

You are welcome, my friends!

Next update for this mod I am going to make after release of the "Shadows".

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 96
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 1/8/2013 7:48:27 PM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Martian
Next update for this mod I am going to make after release of the "Shadows".

Sounds like a good idea to wait. Who knows what is changed in the expansion.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 97
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/9/2013 2:20:23 AM   
harshmyth

Wow what an superb job, looks great. downloading now

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 98
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/10/2013 3:56:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just saw that we had a bit of a fracas in this thread. First, our forum rules do not allow personal insults. We're trying to keep a civil community here.

Martian, you did go over the top in your response. Baleur's initial post was not extreme and could have been responded to much more diplomatically, even if you disagree with him 100%, same goes for your response to Nadia911. I can appreciate that their posts may have upset you, but responding with insults is never going to go well. Insults as a first recourse lead to a forum warning and then a ban.

I've tried most of the DW mods and I've certainly appreciated all the work of the modders since we first released DW. Art is rarely completely original, especially when there is a shared base like the in-game art for Distant Worlds, but each modder adds his own take. Baleur's mod is great and certainly has some similar ideas to what Martian did, but as Haree said I don't see that Martian copied Baleur's work, rather that great minds simply think along similar lines. Martian has also taken the idea quite far now and IMHO made a positive contribution to DW modding.

I don't think it will help the modding community or DW to have a feud about this. I don't see any evidence of genuine malice on either side, just a misunderstanding that has caused some hard feelings. I'd like to encourage everyone to start fresh, let bygones be bygones and try to make friends. The community and the game benefits from graciousness and a spirit of cooperation.

If I've missed the mark here, please feel free to e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com for further discussion.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to harshmyth)
Post #: 99
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/11/2013 6:49:24 AM   
Martian

Erik, I just want to make sure if I understood you correctly:

It is OK to publicly insult someone by accusing him in stealing, without any proofs, if you do it in "diplomatic" way, without using a "thief" word, but it's wrong to respond to such slanders by non-diplomatic words "troll" and "stupid" to honestly describe what the accuser is doing?

Do words have more value for you than their meaning?

Erik, I am sorry if I've violated forum rules. I understand, "rules are rules" and should be followed. But why do you apply these rules only to me. Baleur and Nadia911 did insulted me very much. And their posts were actually extreme. It's a pity you can't see this.

P.S. And there was no need for you to mention about the ban. It is not the fear of being banned that motivates me to speak politely, but mutual respect to a person.

< Message edited by Martian -- 1/11/2013 12:40:33 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 100
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/11/2013 6:52:41 AM   
Martian

to Shuttle Door Gunner

I can see it's your first message on the forum - Thank you! Appreciated very much. )))

(in reply to harshmyth)
Post #: 101
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/11/2013 7:15:42 AM   
Martian

To Baleur and Nadia911

I really don't like conflict situations, but everybody should be responsible for what they say.
So I still think that my tough words were just and adequate response to your public insultation in my address.

But also I agree with Erik that this forum community won't benefit from this conflict so for the sake of everybody I offer you to solve this issue and make a peace. My only condition is that you publicly apologize for insulting me and I will do the same in return. After that we can safely pass this issue behind and never return to it again.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 102
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/11/2013 6:55:37 PM   
Data

My friends, I don't have an artist eye but a lot of modders here whom I came to respect have it and considered this worthy of their appreciation and that's good enough for me.
That and the fact that it's a good ideea to presume someone inocent until proven otherwise....casting a shadow of a doubt on an inocent is far worse then letting a guilty one go free imho.

So I will also thank you for your work, Martian, and appreciate the solution you've found for this; losing either you or Baleur would be bad for all of us.

And a prolific new year for all you creative types around here

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 103
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/11/2013 11:38:32 PM   
Haree78

@Martian I believe Eric would have been talking about you calling people mentally disabled or a very fat troll which I believe go quite a bit further than troll or stupid.
Just because you feel attacked the most likely situation is these people have made a mistake. I agree with Data that accusing the innocent is far worst than letting the guilty go but at the same time people make mistakes. Taking things to the level of accusing people of being mentally disabled or a very fat troll for what could have been a simple mistake is a very knee jerk reaction.

I really appreciate your work here and totally understand you were 'attacked' first but let's keep everything civil and let those who lie or act like fools do the work of making themselves look like fools, we don't need to try in that department ;)

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 104
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 3:32:56 AM   
Martian

To Haree78

Thank you, Haree. Generally I agree with your words, and I shouldn't have "knee jerk" reacted.

But there is one thing I see different from you. You think that calling someone a mentally disabled person or very fat troll is more serious thing that accusing in stealing. I think very opposite. Actually, I doubted Nadia911 (Ernesto Denewitz) was unable to see the difference between mods. His categorical statement without any proofs, looked to me very much like a trolling. That's why I wrote:

"If you really don't see difference between his mod and mine then I guess you are either blind or mentally disabled person. Or most probably a very fat troll."

Here I didn't state that he actually IS a "mentally disabled person" or "blind", I just guessed it if only he "really doesn't see difference", which I honestly doubt he didn't. My second guess, "very fat troll" has nothing to do with his appearance. It's just a famous internet term meaning "incompetent provoker".

P.S. Both "mentally disabled" and "blind" are human diseases which evoke only compassion from others. "Very fat troll" doesn't evoke any compassion, but still it's not a crime. But "stealing" is a crime. Thief is a shame for all his family and friends. No one want to have anything in common with thiefs. I hope my point is clear.

< Message edited by Martian -- 1/12/2013 4:46:00 AM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 105
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 4:43:18 AM   
Martian

to Data

Thank you Data,
I hope my efforts won't be in vain and they will respond to my invitation...

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 106
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 4:46:36 AM   
Haree78

Regardless of the level of insult you believe you levelled at them do you not see how these people might have just made a mistake as by looking at the pictures in the threads they look the same just recoloured? If you can observe the easy mistake to make then you should see that reacting by insults isn't the right course of action. If someone sees me walking out of a shop with an item under my coat and calls me a thief, I don't throw names at them I show them my receipt and tell them they made a mistake. Then I expect an apology.

Someone who throws insults at the first sign of a disagreement doesn't end up looking like someone on the moral high ground, and in the case of the first accusation you were in that position.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 107
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 4:55:35 AM   
Martian

There is a big difference between someone personally calls you to figure out if you stole something and public statement (yes, internet is quite globally public place) that you had stolen something from him. If Baleur first wrote me a personal message about his concerns, I can assure your nothing of this would happen.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 108
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 5:07:31 AM   
Martian

And Haree, please don't call insults in stealing a mere "disagreement". I would never throw any insults if I am just disagree with someone.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 109
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 9:28:44 AM   
Tyrador

Can you stop attacking the Martian? It seems like Baleur have already suffered a heart attack from those endless childish discussions of who insulted who. Don't make an elephant out of a fly, this is not a kindergarten of 'm*nta**y *ll ch*ld*en' who cannot bear the burden of being insulted.

BTW Martian was exercising his right Freedom of Speech = Freedom to Insult, to Criticize, and to Apologize.

< Message edited by Tyrador -- 1/12/2013 5:56:21 PM >

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 110
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 1:37:28 PM   
Martian

to Tyrador

Thank you very much for your common sense but also for your great sense of humor! It's impossible to stay serious after reading your comment.

P.S. Be careful although with expression "mentally ill children", it's quite close to the one I've used...

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 111
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 5:54:46 PM   
Tyrador

quote:

to Tyrador

Thank you very much for your common sense but also for your great sense of humor! It's impossible to stay serious after reading your comment.

P.S. Be careful although with expression "mentally ill children", it's quite close to the one I've used...

Ahh yeah, in Uk we already have Section 5 of the Public Order Act. So called, right to be not insulted or something of that sort...I would be persecuted, charged and imprisoned by now, if it went public

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 112
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/12/2013 7:06:45 PM   
ehsumrell1

Very glad to see that we are again back on a path to everyone getting along!

Keep up the good work Martian!

Now, that I've gotten that off my chest, back to testing and playing Distant Worlds!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 113
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/13/2013 12:34:57 AM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Can you stop attacking the Martian? It seems like Baleur have already suffered a heart attack from those endless childish discussions of who insulted who. Don't make an elephant out of a fly, this is not a kindergarten of 'm*nta**y *ll ch*ld*en' who cannot bear the burden of being insulted.

BTW Martian was exercising his right Freedom of Speech = Freedom to Insult, to Criticize, and to Apologize.

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm trying to show why Erik made the message he did. Ignore the moderators of a board at your peril ;)

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 114
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/13/2013 9:02:23 AM   
Tyrador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm trying to show why Erik made the message he did. Ignore the moderators of a board at your peril ;)

Perhaps Martian is developed enough to use his language and sociological skills to analyse what did Erik said

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 115
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/13/2013 9:42:32 AM   
Data

LOL...I hope we don't start a new one but this was funny as hell

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 116
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/13/2013 2:32:52 PM   
nadia911

Martian: I never called him a thief, just questioned his "inspiration" for the extreme resemblance to baleur's mod (and I have not been the only one who noticed), if you have not inspired Baleu's mod simply been a coincidence, my apologies by the error.

Anyway you disrespected me repeatedly, instead of having tried to explain the case.
I'm surprised that the moderators tolerate this sort of things...

That's all, good luck with your mod and continue with your great inspiration.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 117
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/13/2013 8:24:48 PM   
Tyrador

quote:

ORIGINAL: nadia911

Martian: I never called him a thief, just questioned his "inspiration" for the extreme resemblance to baleur's mod (and I have not been the only one who noticed), if you have not inspired Baleu's mod simply been a coincidence, my apologies by the error.

Anyway you disrespected me repeatedly, instead of having tried to explain the case.

Note: Right of Freedom of Speech = Freedom to Insult, to Criticize, and to Apologize.

(in reply to nadia911)
Post #: 118
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/14/2013 1:00:35 PM   
Martian

to Nadia911

quote:

Nadia911, your apologies are accepted. My apologies to you in return.

I understand that we all make mistakes. But different mistakes have different consequences. A kid who mistook his left and right shoes is cute and funny, but a judge making wrong decision at a trial is not.

Of course, we are not at trial and you are not a judge. Nevertheless, with amazing carelessness you allowed yourself to make categorical public judgement on person you don't even know and whose reputation you were so easily ready to damage.

Really, look at your message again:

"All images of the planets are exactly the same as the Baleur mod with a slight variation of color ...

How did you come to such conclusion? Did you actually try both Baleur's mod and mine?
Or did you just compared his preview and mine?

OK, if so let's compare preview:

Do you really think that "All images of the planets exactly the same", "with a slight variation of color..." ?
As far as I can see the only thing inspired from Baleur's mod is round shape of planets...

But maybe you were not talking about atmospheric effects but planet's surface ONLY? And you meant similar patterns like this?:

Then but how about my very big first post where you actually could find my mod preview? After you could so easily find similarities between Baleur's mod and mine I can't believe you couldn't see similarities on this and 6 others huge planet previews:

This preview clearly shows original Distant Worlds planets and my moded version. I guess then, Elliot also had stolen planets images from Baleur...
Forgive me Nadia, please, but of course after such things I started to doubt either your sincerity either your mental health. (Another, very unlikely, option was that you were just a 3 years old kid).

Before, I already clearly said that I didn't use Baleur's mod at all. Not as reference, nor as inspiration. I even didn't know about it unless he himself mentioned.
So when you quoted me:

"I used real space photos and some great sci-fi art for inspiration"

and added:

"and Baleur's mod... "

you really just strengthened my doubts. I took it as you were claiming that I said a lie. You even used this mark . (If I understand correctly this sign means "Shame on you" or something like that).
I was amazed: Do you know me well? Were you near my computer when I was making this mod? Then, how can you so easily make statements which publicly humiliate another person? Do you usually approach someone on the street and do the same?

Yes, the internet gives us some anonymity in communication but it doesn't mean we should have no responsibility for how we treat others online. If you see my posts on this forum you can notice that with friendly people I am always friendly and respectful. But I am not a diplomat or pacifist. If I receive a disrespectful attitude or snooty calumnies I respond accordingly. Same way as I do in real life.

Forgive me this platitude but I believe that "civil community", which Erik has mentioned, is not about being formally polite, but being genuinely respectful to each other. I am sorry for treating you like a "very fat troll", but you treated me like liar or thief first.

quote:

Well, I don't want to start again, but I can say exactly the same about you and Baleur.
Generally, before judging someone it is your responsibility to figure out the case by yourself, instead of blaming him for not explaining you why you shouldn't have accused him, don't you think?

quote:

Thank you! I am very glad that we can communicate now as "civilized" people and I wish you all the best too.
I hope Baleur also will find enough courage and respond to my offer.

< Message edited by Martian -- 1/14/2013 2:25:41 PM >

(in reply to nadia911)
Post #: 119
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 1/14/2013 2:42:22 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

But also I agree with Erik that this forum community won't benefit from this conflict so for the sake of everybody I offer you to solve this issue and make a peace. My only condition is that you publicly apologize for insulting me and I will do the same in return. After that we can safely pass this issue behind and never return to it again.

quote:

to Nadia911

quote:

Nadia911, your apologies are accepted. My apologies to you in return.

So after stating that once the apologies have been passed the matter would be closed did you really need to drag it all up again? Can we not put consider this as over now? I really like the DW forums and this issue has really dragged on, so please consider it over as I doubt very much that you will hear from Baleu as all the external links to his work have gone, hope im wrong but looks like he has packed up and shipped out. So have an apology from me as well if it helps you to feel better and move on.

Darkspire

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated December 7, 2012) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI