Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: May 1945

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May 1945 Page: <<   < prev  206 207 [208] 209 210   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: May 1945 - 2/25/2018 7:47:20 PM   
jwolf

I love the story of intrigue in Tokyo; anxiously awaiting the next chapter!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6211
RE: May 1945 - 2/25/2018 7:59:49 PM   
MakeeLearn

Nichibotsu

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/25/2018 8:10:22 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6212
RE: May 1945 - 2/25/2018 11:25:17 PM   
John 3rd

Had to go to church and then have had a fairly long day. Will be finishing this in about two hours. Sorry for the delay but RL intervened.

Nice picture Makee!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 6213
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 12:52:28 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Had to go to church and then have had a fairly long day. Will be finishing this in about two hours. Sorry for the delay but RL intervened.

Cliffhanger -- AAUUGGHHH!!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6214
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:16:10 AM   
John 3rd

Minister Yamamoto arrives 15 minutes prior to his scheduled meeting with the Emperor at 2pm on May 9th. His arrival is noted by a pair of Army observers stationed near the gate. They quickly walk to a phone and call a number informing the listener that the Naval Minister has made it to the palace. Having done their job, they walk off into the crowds gathering for the parade.

With the many attempts made on his life over the years, Yamamoto always has a security detail traveling with him. The Imperial Guards don't think twice on Yamamoto's Staff car coming in with a large lead vehicles and a covered truck trailing behind it. From the Staff Car emerges the Admiral, several staff, and Vc-Adm Tanaka. The two men have known each other for decades, their eyes meet, and a pair of bows occur. With his two aides he enters the palace.

Upon their entry, Tanaka motions for the truck to move a short distance so it is somewhat out of view. With a sharp wrap on the side, the tarps move and reinforced squad of infantry from Kumano emerges. They carry two light machine guns and several small radio sets. The men move with purpose to a small, manicured hillock that clearly overlooks the entrance to the grounds and the street beyond. This action does not go unnoticed as several palace guards ask--politely--what is happening. A short conversation ensues with one of the guards saluting Tanaka and rapidly running off to find his commander. With moments to prepare, the squad deploys and the radios are set-up. A quick com check assures them that contact with other Naval units has been achieved.

Several miles away, the Army prepares for its 'parade.' Leading the column is the veteran 88th Independent Mixed Infantry Brigade. Though only numbering 1,553 men, these are mainly China veterans who were withdrawn recently from Fusan, KOREA. Colonel Tsukamoto takes the head of the column and looks back over his command. Behind them comes a fearsome sight. The 1st Tank Regiment with 20 Type 95 Light Tanks and 20 Type 3 Medium Tanks fire up their engines. The lead Type 3 carries Major Kawashima. The rear is brought up by the rookie 112th Independent Mixed Infantry Brigade. Lt. Col. Ishimari leads its impressive 4,465 men. At precisely 1400 hours the column begins its march. Truth be told, only about three dozen men know what actual plan is. The three leaders and their XOs plus the two lead squads of the 88th.

With perfect martial skill the mile long formation begins its trek into history...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 6215
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:24:58 AM   
John 3rd

On this day, of ALL days, the Allies don't send a single plane close to Tokyo. Though the CAP is flying overhead and AA positions are manned, there is no alert or anything to mar the illusion of a calm, normal wartime day in the capital of Japan...

Those at Tokyo Bay's shore might have exclaimed when suddenly the alarm claxons on five Heavy Cruisers and BC Ikoma erupt with noise. The ships are quickly brought to General Quarters. Thinking this is just a drill, the sailors run to their battlestations and await the end of the practice so they might get back to whatever they were doing beforehand. To their astonishment, the Captains of each ship read a prepared statement drafted by Yamamoto himself. It clearly details of a plot by the Army to assassinate the Son of Heaven within the next few minutes. To calm their men, each Captain then speaks in a heartfelt, earnest manner to the men they have served with for many years. Men who have fought through victory and defeat. Men who have bled for their motherland. Men who truly understand what it is to be a Band of Brothers. The main battery of each Heavy Cruiser then relentlessly train to port, elevate, and prepare for the order. The Ikoma's guns, however, train towards a different target.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/26/2018 2:25:24 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6216
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 4:48:39 AM   
John 3rd

At precisely 2pm, the Admiral is ushered into the Imperial Presence. Great formality usually occurs in situations like this and even Yamamoto must wait for the Emperor to speak before he can explain to His Majesty what is about to occur. The Admiral's surprise is great when the Emperor looks upon him and calmly states "Minister Yamamoto--You have always spoken truth within these walls. I have one question to ask you and the truth can--must--be the only answer given. Do you understand?"

The Admiral reluctantly answers "Hai!"

"Is the war lost?"

Without hesitation, Yamamoto fulfills his honor with a sad "Hai."

"It is as I have feared. You warned of this years ago and I could not/would not take action to stop the Army. What can we do now?"

"There is only one answer Lord. We must surrender and endure the unendurable." The Admiral then apologizes for his failure. "I wish that the Kaigun had fought better. My very creation was unable to win the decisive victory so desired." Looking up at the Emperor he asks "what can I do to serve you?"

The Emperor simply stares and then states "I hereby desolve the cabinet. I wish you to become the Premier and end this war before ALL of Japan is destroyed."

As if this statement was cue from from a Kibuki play gunfire rings out in the distance. Premier? Prime Minister? Yamamoto rapidly stands and looks at the Son of Heaven and says "your majesty, the Army moves against you--against us right now. We must destroy them and their treachery before they kill both you and me. Do I have your permission to do whatever it takes to achieve this?"

The answer is a whispered "HAI."

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6217
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 4:50:29 AM   
John 3rd

Bed time. Story-Telling continues tomorrow morning. So sorry for the delay!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6218
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 5:13:14 AM   
witpqs

Congratulations on a great contest, John!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6219
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 7:04:20 AM   
adarbrauner

Wonderful narrative.

One question for now please: the Musashi has been sunk , or is it just repairing?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6220
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 8:14:36 AM   
tarkalak

I think that Yamato and Musashi were unavailable in this mode. Yamamoto was not fan of them so he used the steel for something else.

Awesome game John. I am sad that it is near it's end.

I started reading it from around the time of your last restart and it was a great read.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 6221
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 12:45:17 PM   
Chickenboy

Great job seeing this through to the end, John. A well-fought contest.

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 6222
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 12:46:25 PM   
Chickenboy

In addition to implementation of the many helpful pieces of advice given you by the peanut gallery over the years, do you know what else would improve your next game?

Chickenboy Maru. That's what.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6223
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 12:52:58 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

In addition to implementation of the many helpful pieces of advice given you by the peanut gallery over the years, do you know what else would improve your next game?

Chickenboy Maru. That's what.

Nonsense...the Type B4 Chikinboi armed with Kaitens. Your Kaitens!

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 2/26/2018 12:54:52 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6224
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 1:58:23 PM   
John 3rd

The Imperial Army has been whipped by the Allied forces in the Philippines, Formosa, China, Korea, and Manchuria. It is an organization that did see the necessary reforms needed of it once the war opened in Europe in 1939. This day sees a similar thing occur.

As the Emperor makes his surprise request of the Naval Minister, all HELL breaks lose near the Imperial Palace.

The 'parade' approaches the main gate to the Imperial Palace when suddenly shots ring out from next to the gate. Five to six men, dressed the uniform of the Imperial Guards, open fire on the column and race towards the gates. These 'provocateurs' start a planned and choreographed action by the lead two squads of the 88th Ind Mix Brigade. Shouts rise up that the Emperor is in danger. We MUST protect the Emperor!! Follow me! Whistles follow, commands are given, and radios go into high gear.

It is nothing but a farce. Vc-Adm Tanaka calmly studies the development from his squad's location. The 'real' Imperial Guards have been warned by him and know what is coming. Though with only 10-12 minutes to prepare it is enough time for some adjustments to be made. The initial rush towards the gates is met with a small storm of fire supported by Tanaka's small contingent. The 88th sorts itself out and begins to move into its attack mode just as fire erupts from several building on the other side of the street. It is only small arms but it does catch the Army troops facing the wrong direction. Confusion follows.

Tanaka raises his the microphone to his mouth and and utters words not heard since just prior to the war "Climb Mount Niitaka."

At the Fleet's anchorage a single 8" barrel fires. The round lands long by about 150 Yards. A small geyser of water, muck and dead fish erupts from the destroyed decorative Koi Pond it lands in. Tanaka has handed the microphone over to the pair of spotters who semi-calmly simple say "Down 100. Fire!" If the single artillery round didn't catch the Army's attention, TEN falling near or in their ranks does. "On Target. Fire two salvos." The effect of these high explosive rounds falling is terrifying to watch. The 88th disintegrates under the increasing fire of the naval troops in the buildings and the naval artillery from the Bay.

As the Army has all war, instead of quick deliberation or thought for a different approach, they simply stick to the plan. The 1st Tank Regiment breaks formation and moves into the kill box. It is quickly followed by the inexperienced, barely trained 112th. Down the blocks more emplaced Naval Troops open fire spreading the fight down six full blocks. Seeing this, Vc-Adm Tanaka shakes his head and sadly nods at his spotters. "Do it!"

Being the most experienced gunners in the Fleet, the five Heavy Cruisers now fully open fire with over FIFTY 8" barrels. To say that there is collateral damage would be a VAST understatement. The effects of all this massed artillery landing in such a confined location is--well--horrific. Within five minutes the Army 'assault' is crushed and broken. Fully 75% of the troops and equipment are killed, wounded, or destroyed. Many in the 112th simply break and run.

In the weeks that follow the tally of 277 Sailors and nearly 1,200 civilians killed/wounded will be added to the new shrine built on the corner of the Imperial Palace grounds.

It is over.

Well...

The body of the snake has been killed and not the head. By this point, Minister Yamamoto has joined Tanaka and sadly watched the end of the 'fight/massacre.' He asks the radiomen, "Have the radio stations been closed down?"

"HAI! It was done at 215pm Sir."

"Good. Finish this. Is he still at the Army Ministry?" A nod follows the question. "Are as many of our people as possible pulled out?" Another nod. "On my authority as the incoming Prime Minister of Japan, Ikoma may fire."

The 8" shell is a compact but powerful weapon when used against the enemy. The landing of SIX 14" shells on a single building is simply breath-taking. Don't get this wrong. The massive but sunken 18" guns of Yamato or Musashi would have been bigger but Army Minister Tojo Hidecki would have been just as dead...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/26/2018 2:04:03 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6225
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:04:05 PM   
Drakanel

Thanks a lot for the AAR. Was a very entertaining read. And hats off to you for seeing it through the end. Never easy to do that...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6226
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:10:38 PM   
John 3rd

May 11, 1945
0800 Hours Tokyo Time

TO: Admiral Chester Nimitz (Daniel Roper)

As the leading representative of the Empire of Japan we, hereby, surrender unconditionally to the Allied air, sea, and land forces arrayed against us.

All Imperial Forces shall stand down immediately.

Please listen to Radio Tokyo at 1200 Hours Tokyo time for a message from the Emperor of Japan.

It is done my readers.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 6227
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:12:41 PM   
jwolf

Cool ending. It's kind of easy to tell you're a fan of the IJN and not the IJA. Kudos for a great game and AAR!

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 6228
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:14:34 PM   
John 3rd

This is from Dan last night:

Well, well. Here we are at the end of all things.

That was unexpected. The turn was wrapping up. The screen was scrolling through the usual messages. Suddenly there was the rather lame sound of trumpets. And then the AV screen popped up.

I clicked the "View End of Game Stats" button and the file closed out. So I'm unable to view the next turn file to see what's going on where.

We haven't discussed AV lately, but I would guess that Japan is ready to surrender? I'm glad to continue on if you want to see what would happen over the next few months, although there may not be a great deal of purpose in it. Japan still has a navy and an air force, but Asia is a disaster and the ability to bomb from nearby Korea is just a death grip.

If you want to continue on, say the word. If not, my password is Coral42.

Send me your password if this is the end, but hold onto it if you want to continue a bit further.

Much more to say later. Bottom line: Thanks for soldiering on gamely until the very, very end. Many/most would have quit long ago. Others might've been tempted to get silly or negligent at the end on the idea of "what's the use." But here at the end, KB is raiding and weird TFs are bombarding Singapore and massive CAPs appear over Osaka and surface clashes take place and I always know that you're paying the game the homage of taking it completely seriously right up until the moment that lame trumpets sound. You are a trooper.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6229
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:14:56 PM   
Kitakami

<bows 60 degrees, from the waist, and holds it for a moment more than customary>

John,

To say that I learned tons from this AAR would be an understatement. I, and I am sure many others, thank you for sticking with this to the bitter end. It is very fitting that Yamamoto Isoroku-san ended it.

Now, take a break, start planning your next game, and...

Tenno heika banzai!!!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6230
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:28:29 PM   
pws1225

Nice going John, and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6231
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:45:20 PM   
John 3rd

I am really, really sad/morose about this. Though there have been long breaks when we thought the game was done, I cannot imagine waking up every morning without a turn from Dan along with some tidbits of his life and activities.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 6232
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 2:45:49 PM   
John 3rd

We did, however, sink a CVE on our last turn. How about that!!!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6233
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 3:11:42 PM   
pws1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

We did, however, sink a CVE on our last turn. How about that!!!

A raider to the last!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6234
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 3:15:28 PM   
John 3rd

Damned straight BABY!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 6235
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 3:16:14 PM   
DanSez

Congratulations.
Well Played.
Thanks for all your efforts to share this adventure.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 6236
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 3:22:25 PM   
Mike McCreery

Good Game John. I didnt think you would finish it but I was wrong.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 6237
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 3:24:22 PM   
MBF

Nice job sir - hanging in there that long is a testament to fortitude !

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 6238
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 3:38:32 PM   
CaptHaggard

John—

Thank you for the AAR—always exciting and full of intrigue and very well written. Great game!

Hag/Robert

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 6239
RE: May 1945 - 2/26/2018 3:48:14 PM   
John 3rd

Dan sent this Post from his AAR:

Here's my post from this a.m. Perhaps you'll relate to this?

I'm afraid it's going to be very hard to come off the high of playing the game. Pretty much every day, I could count on an intense injection of fun (endorphins? adrenaline?) as a new turn arrived. First I'd view the written combat report. Then I'd watch the replay. Then I'd begin entering orders, always following the same general routine as I worked my way around the map. Turns often took three to six hours. None of that was gazing - all of it was clicking. Going through Death Star and land-based air to attend to all the details for the day was overwhelmingly time-consuming and often not very much fun.

But over the past year, as the Allies gained so much power and achieved the position from which to engage in serious raids, missions and attacks every day - lots and lots of them everywhere - the excitement and sense of fulfillment was intense. I was experiencing the rare thrill of seeing to fruition a plan set in motion in late 1942. Every turn - from receipt in the inbox to return through the outbox promised hours and hours of fun.

Suddenly that's gone from each day. No longer can I wake up and expect at some point during the day to have something that fun to look forward to.

It's going to be a real adjustment. Partly, my game with Erik will begin to assert priority and contribute that much fun, but early on I'm likely to spend alot more time outdoors, running, hiking and mountain biking. March, April and May in Georgia are (usually) superb months for outdoors activities. And I'll continue to read, which has always been my main source of relaxation.

I don't think I'll consider starting another game anytime soon. I need this to settle. I want to take some time to adjust to a more non-game routine to measure it against the intense game routine. IE, I'll be doing what Bullwinkle expressed not long ago in another thread, where he noted he'd celebrated a landmark birthday and just needed time to prioritize life.

This game? Crack. Cocaine. Fun. Challenging. Exciting.

Best game ever.

Think I stated this above. As normal, my partner and I are together in our feelings.

He invited me to read his AAR but I declined. Last time was way too rough to go back in only to read comments made by players that were---shall I say---unpleasant.

Have invited him to open a joint thread so we can discuss, comment, evaluate, and talk about game observations--issues--possible solutions.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to CaptHaggard)
Post #: 6240
Page:   <<   < prev  206 207 [208] 209 210   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May 1945 Page: <<   < prev  206 207 [208] 209 210   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI