Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Crazy!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Crazy! Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Crazy! - 5/13/2016 4:05:54 PM   
John 3rd

Strike Force
Vc-Adm Yamaguchi

CVs
Akagi, Hiryu, Soryu, Shokaku, Zuikaku, Taikaku, Renkaku
1 BC, 5 CA, 1 CL, 11 DD

Air Complement: 206 Zero (M5b/M8), 150 Judy, 12 Recon Judy, and 96 Jill--all Jills carrying TTs.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2131
RE: Crazy! - 5/13/2016 4:28:27 PM   
savelius2

Good luck with the operation. I hope to see Banzais later.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2132
Shaking Fist at the sky! - 5/13/2016 10:56:46 PM   
John 3rd

Gawd Blessed.

PERFECT work. PERFECT Full Speed jump. PERFECT everything.

Targets galore. Judy and Jill set for Range 11. Lets ROCK!

Nothing Flies at all.

The words I currently feel cannot be said on the Forum.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/13/2016 10:59:12 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to savelius2)
Post #: 2133
RE: Shaking Fist at the sky! - 5/13/2016 11:09:53 PM   
Bearcat2

I thought the max range for JP carrier planes was 8 hexes, 7 for Allied?

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2134
RE: Shaking Fist at the sky! - 5/13/2016 11:33:00 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Me too.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 2135
RE: Shaking Fist at the sky! - 5/13/2016 11:57:56 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Me too.

Max range for an IJN naval strikes is 8 hexes. Max range for Allies is 7 hexes.

You should still get a good portion since the majority of those ships won't reach port in one turn .

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/14/2016 12:01:17 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 2136
Shaking Fist at the sky! - 5/14/2016 2:57:05 PM   
John 3rd

September 15, 1943

We do get some action this day.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2137
Bust - 5/15/2016 12:39:41 AM   
John 3rd

September 15, 1943
Central Pacific

Well...this idea was a total bust. I make that FULL Speed jump into the shipping lane and get nothing. Move the TF to be in the center of all that shipping and see bad weather affect morning strikes by only sinking two AKs and having over 75 Strike Planes turn back. The afternoon totally closes the flightdecks and that is that. Fuel low so we begin working our way back home.

Crap.

Cannot catch a break right now. Waste of fuel and wear/tear on the ships.

Maybe Dan will move east but I doubt it...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/15/2016 12:41:21 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2138
Aleutians - 5/15/2016 12:52:57 AM   
John 3rd

September 15, 1943
The Aleutians

The Japanese staged a three day raid up north with good success. As stated earlier a TF of 2 CA, 3 CL, 2 DD change strategy and move along the northern edge of the Aleutians. This move catches Dan by surprise and the results are pretty good though the entire TF gets beat-up.

9-13 As detailed earlier the TF sinks 3 LST and an AM. They then tangle with CL Honolulu and 4 DDs. The air strikes coming in see the Americans get spanked pretty good losing some P-38s and 15-25 B-25s.

9-14 STF splits with a CA and CL heading for Attu while the remaining ships hunt some more. This TF catches a large TF of 14 LCT and sink them. The ships end up just outside of LRCAP and I brace for BAD things. More B-25 attacks with a few shot down but no damage taken. Pleasant surprise.

Order a retirement.

9-15 Catch several TFs and sink 5 more LCT and 7 PT Boats (in two groups). We have LRCAP again and the first strike of 6 Corsairs and 28 SBDs is WIPED OUT by 46 Fighters. Another small set of B-25 raids see more B-25s shot down. As celebrations begin to start on this side of the computer, a large raid of 24 P-38 and 16 SBD fight their way through CAP and drop. CA Maya takes 3 bombs and CL Sakawa takes 1. Crap. An afternoon strike puts another bomb on Maya at good cost to the raiders.

Looking at the ships, I find damage to be tolerable (mid-30s) and so I order them due north and then west. We're trying to avoid the subs.

Operations
Am getting ready to bring in Brigade to Amchitka and will do so in two days. Figuring we'll have PTs to deal with there will be lots of DDs, DM, and other small fighting ships.

Here are air losses for the 15th:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/15/2016 12:56:55 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2139
Crazy! - 5/16/2016 11:35:30 PM   
John 3rd

September 18, 1943
Kwajalein

Talk about tense and boring turns these days. Everything is what if with then little actual occurring.

On the 17th, the Japanese try a Deliberate Attack upon Allied Forces at Kwajalein and score a horrific 1-97 result. The SNLF Assault Brigade is gutted taking 2,552 Cas for only 15 Allied. The AF finally opens for business and the next turns sees 97 Transports fly in elements of the 56th ID. The 18th sees this all day air bridge moving troops and, in a perfectly logical move, the Allies launch a Deliberate Attack upon the Japanese. While not as spectaculur a fail as the 1-97 it does score a 1-9 result. Japanese take 209 Cas for 1529 Allied Cas as well as 51 Guns.

Result of two days action? NOTHING. We still remain stalemated.

Am contemplating a serious operation that brings in fresh supplies and troops to both Rio Namur and Kwajalein. Would use significant forces and try to set-up a CAP Trap...no decision yet here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/16/2016 11:37:22 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2140
Still here - 5/17/2016 3:07:24 AM   
savelius2

I can't really make any observations as I'm reading both threads, I just wanted to make clear that I, at least, remain riveted.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2141
RE: Still here - 5/17/2016 4:40:04 AM   
John 3rd

You are riveted and I am going insane.

Keep TRYING to do SOMETHING and am having no success. Need to isolate a battlefield section and then exploit it. I keep finding myself looking up north at Adak OR looking at Tarawa. Both could be sectioned off, semi-isolated, and then reduced. Another thought is to stage surprise sea-born attacks on the flanks of the Marshalls thrust by grabbing Baker, Canton, and Johnston. There are troops prepping in all these directions. Don't know if I'll get a chance tot ry any of these ideas but Dan KNOWS I am trying to counter-punch.

Like I said---going INSANE!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to savelius2)
Post #: 2142
RE: Still here - 5/17/2016 4:42:26 AM   
John 3rd

We have a turn fest scheduled for tomorrow. I am off work and the family will be gone for four hours. I hope we can get 4-5 turns in during that time...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2143
RE: Still here - 5/17/2016 5:23:15 AM   
John 3rd

Tell Dan to STOP posting on his AAR long enough to send me the turn. Appreciate it!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2144
RE: Still here - 5/17/2016 5:32:51 AM   
Anachro

Hahaha. It must be a really interesting feeling to see so much posting going on in your opponent's thread (and frustrating). I wish I could get a similar experience, but probably never will. That is, unless I can eventually find an opponent willing to do dual AAR's with me.

Looking forward, as always, to the coming turn-fest. I think I will now solely view this AAR and avoid the other for opsec reasons. Give me a little bit of time to wait, and then I will start posting my reactions. Forgive me, however, for any bad advice or thoughts I might give.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 5/17/2016 5:35:11 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2145
RE: Still here - 5/17/2016 2:55:13 PM   
Lowpe

Seems to me this is the happy days for the A6M8!

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2146
RE: Still here - 5/17/2016 3:38:05 PM   
John 3rd

Yaaa...

Here is a teaser of the first turn of the morning. Just sent it back to Dan with little comment:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/17/2016 3:40:09 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2147
Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 3:42:05 PM   
John 3rd

The aircraft losses speak a story...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2148
RE: Still here - 5/17/2016 3:43:20 PM   
pws1225

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2149
Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 3:48:06 PM   
John 3rd

Plans for next movement:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2150
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 3:51:14 PM   
Lowpe

Uh-oh! CV planes lost on the ground.

Doesn't look good.

Some flak losses, looks like you made some bomb runs.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2151
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 3:51:21 PM   
savelius2

Oh dear. So at least a CVE lost (and probably more given that stike size and lack of allied losses), plus a hell of a lot to CAP. Any positives to the turn?

< Message edited by savelius2 -- 5/17/2016 4:23:22 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2152
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 4:25:01 PM   
bmonty101

Just registered here to give you some moral support. This was pretty brutal (and I don't even want to think about pilot losses) but it looks like the core of KB is still okay. It looks like you got 8 hexes from the Allied CVs, though? Since there are no Allied flak losses, I'm guessing the planes on ground is from an Allied sub putting torps into a CVL or maybe Hiryu/Soryu.

Although since the Allied CVs were out of range, that would mean KB would be facing the concentrated Uber CAP... ugh!

(in reply to savelius2)
Post #: 2153
Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 4:30:11 PM   
John 3rd

Since joining the Forum eleven years ago I have never truly lost a carrier engagement. Had some massive draws but never an outright defeat. Sure looks like that is about to happen presently.

After all the crying and whining I have gotten here and over in the Development side of the Forum about the unbalanced nature of Reluctant Admiral 5.0 (don't get me wrong--it IS!) this turn proves that it is BOTH ways when it comes to things. Holy CATS!

OK.

I will try to detail events.

The three CTF and CVE TF of Kido Butai have slowly--due to fuel--been retiring back towards Wake. All four TF had been set to follow the CVEs (18 Knots) at cruise speed. My most seriously short on fuel had re-fueled the previous day from five small AOs (20,000 Fuel) that gave them enough fuel to make it to another set of AOs steaming east (with 50,000 Fuel) from Saipan.

The turn is cloudy and somewhat stormy when my CVEs sheer off from the remainder of the KB and start reacting towards the entire Allied Navy. The Kido Butai itself does not re-act whatsoever. Kind of weird. I backed up a turn to look and re-act was set to ZERO along with all the other TFs. The Admiral was aggressive and I guess he over-rode orders.

Through the morning and afternoon I watch Judy and Jill after Judy and Jill impale themselves on Allied CAP during air search. Must have lost 50 Attack Planes before strikes flew. Moths to flame they were.

Morning Phase
Four Japanese Strikes fly (51 Z--12 Judy--9 Jill, 56 Zero--13 Judy--9 Jill, 21 Zero--14 Jill, and 37 Zero--`6 Judy--18 Jill). They attempt to hit the outlying elements of the massed fleet only to encounter 158 Fighters over the northern TF and 148 Fighters over the eastern TF. The strikes are eaten up and spit out. What were they attacking you ask? Subchasers, YMS, and other useless TFs designed to soak off Japanese sorties. My commentary here is unprintable and has been an issue since nearly day one of the war so I shall say nothing. It is what it is.

Two of these small strikes came from my CVEs and two from the Main Body of Kido Butai.

No American Strikes at the Japanese. I begin to think it is a brilliantly conceived CAP Trap.

Afternoon
More Judy and Jill impale themselves on the Allied CAP.

Finally see a massed Japanese Strike came in against the actual Allied warships. The strike is pretty good-sized with 100 Zero, 90 Judy, and 87 Jill going in. They find--get this--375 Allied Fighters on CAP. I figure that 150 Fighters to the north, 150 Fighters to the east, and 375 Fighters over the actual CVs that this must be a CAP Trap. Well...the raid goes in and 43 Judy and 33 Jill make it to their drops. The fight is not all one-sided because a few hits are scored:

BB Massachusetts takes 1 B--2 TT
CL St Louis take 1 TT
CV Hornet 1 Bomb
CVL Princeton 1 Bomb

Raid Two: 55 Zero--23 Judy--17 Jill is eaten by CAP.

Raid Three: 18 Zero--14 Judy score a hit on CV Enterprise and is consumed by CAP.

Its a CAP Trap--Right? NO! The CVEs who had re-acted both phases are absolutely crushed by a massed strike of 240 Fighters--272 DB--174 Avengers. Talk about the opposite of the Japanese Strikes. 686 planes ONE STRIKE! Damn. That is impressive. Well done to the Allies. The Japanese lose 8 CVE and 7 DDs. Ouch! Guess that Admiral deservedly goes down with his flagship. Stupid twit. He would have been ordered to commit Seppuku anyway!

Those are the events.

Fuel is low and Dan can crush the Japanese Fleet if he simply moves slightly north. I order the Kido Butai to move NNW to try and escape. Fly off most of the fragments to Rio Namur, Kwajalein, Wake, and Eniwetok. Will sort everyone out later. Add 125 M8 Zeros to the CVs bringing the Fighter total up to about 500 on the carriers. Set CAP to 100%, Range ZERO at altitudes of 11,000 and 21,000 Feet. The war could be over next turn boys and girls!

Guess every Admiral needs to lose a CV engagement and this one is it.

The CVEs reacting and horrible raid coordination made this far worse then it needed to be. Dan's style of play--with the outlying small ships--soaked off 154 Zero--45 Judy--29 Jill and destroyed them dropping my Fighter count for the bigger strikes in the afternoon. That tactic worked quite well for him. Add the loss of nearly 50 Judy/Jill on Air Search and one can see the serious attrition inflicted before the larger strike flew. The size of the Fleet--including the British--showed at least 975 Fighters--275 DB--175 TB. Damn. Those are serious numbers! What a clobbering. Am fearful of the next turn!

C'est la Guerre.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/17/2016 4:33:49 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2154
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 5:05:49 PM   
Anachro

Can you send off any decoy ships to perhaps soak up or slow down his fleet from moving north? Maybe a DD that he can react too? Or would that be too gamey? It's hard to figure out what to do in this situation. What I might do, and I am a total novice compared to the rest of this forum:

1. Use decoy and speed it to his most obvious line of intercept, then speed the carries away from likely intercept. Maybe have two separate decoy forces: one north and one south at likely intercept courses.

2. Take the course of least expectation for your CVs. In this case, I would either go west directly into where his forces are, but maybe a little south of them. This has the advantage of being right where he is least likely to be and where he least expects. It is risky, however, and who is to say he doesn't use some of his SF covering force, if any, to protect against this course of action. You could even get extra air cover from the islands to your west.

3. Alternatively, I might send my CV's south-east.

You might need to use your tankers to quickly refuel the CVs as they are low on fuel. This is the part that makes it even more difficult of an extraction. Good luck.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2155
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 5:20:04 PM   
John 3rd

Thought about doing that (sending ships in for suicide). Course all I have are WARSHIPS out there so that isn't a big deal. Could do that if needed.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2156
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 5:28:46 PM   
Anachro

I think the main thing is to figure out where you definitely think Canoerebel will go and then go opposite. You might know his mind well-enough to determine this. Always risky, however. But its far better to take indirect course then the direct course. In this case the direct path would be most logical for your carriers to take, north, but his positioning gives him the advantage in intercepting you.

This is why I would advocate a south-west or south-east movement.

Decisions, decisions.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 5/17/2016 5:32:02 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2157
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 5:35:02 PM   
Lowpe

One thing that strikes is me is the absolutely poor showing of Japanese AA gunners?

No matter the outcome the game isn't over -- unless of course you want it to be. Japan can be quite fun playing without CV. It is a learning experience.

What do you accredit your poor strike coordination to? How strong was the naval search, day and night? During the day it seems strong with your previous comment, but was there any night search?

Bad weather?

Poor leaders?

Morale/Fatigue?

Too many CVs in a task force?

I thought you lost maybe two to three baby carriers....shocked I am at the report.

Did the battle come as a surprise?

How good was the Allied DLs on your ship yesterday?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2158
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 5:39:14 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I think the main thing is to figure out where you definitely think Canoerebel will go and then go opposite. You might know his mind well-enough to determine this. Always risky, however. But its far better to take indirect course then the direct course. In this case the direct path would be most logical for your carriers to take, north, but his positioning gives him the advantage in intercepting you.

This is why I would advocate a south-west or south-east movement.

Decisions, decisions.

His movement is done, and sent to the Allies....a not too often realized strength of the Allies is fuel bunkers on ships.

I guess we will see how bloodthirsty CR is...it seems in the past he has been rather deliberate.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2159
RE: Battle of Wake: Day ONE - 5/17/2016 5:46:48 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
His movement is done, and sent to the Allies....a not too often realized strength of the Allies is fuel bunkers on ships.

I guess we will see how bloodthirsty CR is...it seems in the past he has been rather deliberate.

Ah, well then. We shall see whom chance favors on the next round. Had read it as "planned" but not yet executed moves. Either way, I echo your questions form your first post. Would be interested to know.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2160
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Crazy! Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI