Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/24/2013 6:02:34 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

By the way, at Sabang I have SWPac HQ. I don't recall what the prep is, but I think it'll be 100% by the time it's called on for an conceivable land combat in range.

You need a Corps HQ with the same prepp to get the 90% AV bonus! Obviously that bonus only applies on the target they are prepped for.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3241
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/24/2013 6:35:49 PM   
Canoerebel

Right. I've had a Corps HQ prepping for Sabang for a couple of months. The challenge is that it's located in Assam, so getting it into Sabang will be challenging.

The SWPac HQ is vital for other reasons, though. It has lots of nav support, so Allied units came ashore very rapidly even though Sabang was a level one port. For that reason, I've been able to concentrate solely on airfield construction, which now stands at 7.14.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3242
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/24/2013 8:48:05 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

32 y 19.6 xB3 99 Bravo

Really? Are you sure? Those Coastal Defense guns at Yokohama are going to be murder!

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3243
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/24/2013 9:24:51 PM   
Encircled

quote:

32 y 19.6 xB3 99 Bravo

Yikes, thats my house

I'd better draw the curtains

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3244
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 1:30:30 PM   
Canoerebel

12/9/42

Bay of Bengal: The KB is seven hexes SW of Koggala, Ceylon (and lost something like 20 patrol Kates to CAP over Colombo). I don't think John knows that my carriers are just 11 hexes NE. They'll move to a point a hex or two west/SW of Colombo tomorrow. I don't think John will come any clsoer to Colombo. If anything, yesterday's Kate slaughter will probably discourage him. But there's a small chance forces will collide, enhanced by the possibility John thinks my carrirers are deep in the Bay (his patrols picked up a large concentration of TF - but they're merchants - midway between Port Blair and Chittagong). More likely that KB will pull away, which will give the Allied carriers an opportunity to refuel and take replacement aircraft.

Sumatra: Sabang ow has 700+ mines with two ACM.

Elsewhere: Granpoll x27 29 1 bce19 L

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/25/2013 1:31:30 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 3245
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 5:28:36 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Ross! The 70s? That's the black hold of the motion picture era. The '30s through early '50s were golden, and really the '90s through the present day have been great. But the '70s were just plain awful.*

*Note: This, of course, is my own humble opinion based on my subjective likes and dislikes. In particular, I dislike vulgarity, sleaze, and movies with an overtly political agenda. That leaves about three decent movies from the '70s.

I somehow missed the great 70s movie debate that I started here. I get the feeling that if the great canoe paddler and I go to the multiplex together, we are going to end up in different theaters..

I love all films of all eras but the 70s was my coming of age time and was the coming of age time for American Cinema as well. My wife and I have spent the last two years re watching and watching some of the best films from that decade. Some have already been mentioned but here are a few that were missed.

The Conversation.
Badlands
Little Big Man
Being There
Cabaret
The Last Detail
The Man Who Would be King
The Sunshine Boys
The Garden of Finzi Continis
Breaking Away
All the Presidents Men
Young Frankenstein
A Bridge Too Far
Midnight Express
The Goodbye Girl
A Clockwork Orange
Network
M.A.S.H
American Graffiti
Alien (I still can't watch it twice)
Dog Day Afternoon
The Spirit of the Beehive
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Not really. Just threw it in to get Dan excited)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3246
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 5:48:35 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Ross! The 70s? That's the black hold of the motion picture era. The '30s through early '50s were golden, and really the '90s through the present day have been great. But the '70s were just plain awful.*

*Note: This, of course, is my own humble opinion based on my subjective likes and dislikes. In particular, I dislike vulgarity, sleaze, and movies with an overtly political agenda. That leaves about three decent movies from the '70s.

I somehow missed the great 70s movie debate that I started here. I get the feeling that if the great canoe paddler and I go to the multiplex together, we are going to end up in different theaters..

I love all films of all eras but the 70s was my coming of age time and was the coming of age time for American Cinema as well. My wife and I have spent the last two years re watching and watching some of the best films from that decade. Some have already been mentioned but here are a few that were missed.

The Conversation.
Badlands
Little Big Man
Being There
Cabaret
The Last Detail
The Sunshine Boys
Breaking Away
All the Presidents Men
Young Frankenstein
A Bridge Too Far
Midnight Express
The Goodbye Girl
A Clockwork Orange
Network
M.A.S.H
American Graffiti
Dog Day Afternoon

I'm with you. The 70s is when Hollywood finally cast off the studio system and independent superstar directors like Scorcese came to the fore. How can any decade with "Godfather I and II" be poor?

The list of Best Pictures is magnificent. "The Sting"? One of the best two hours I ever spent in a theater. I never saw the end coming; innocent times I guess. "Kramer vs. Kramer" holds up today, especially if you're divorced. "Jaws" I recall mostly for the loose halter top my date wore (on purpose; she had ideas), but it scared me as badly as "The Exorcist". (I grew up in Virginia Beach, largely in the water.) And I don't think anyone has mentioned "Star Wars." Great? Not in a "Citizen Kane" sense, but it did more to change movies for fifty years than any other title. We're still in the summer blockbuster era because of it and its descendants. You can accurately judge your real age if you answer the simple question "Did I take a date to see "Star Wars?" I did, and thus I am very, very old.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/25/2013 5:49:39 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3247
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 6:38:21 PM   
obvert

quote:

You can accurately judge your real age if you answer the simple question "Did I take a date to see "Star Wars?" I did, and thus I am very, very old.

Ha! I meant to put Star Wars on here, but of course I saw it in a theater at age 5! I still remember waiting in line and the buzz afterward in the parking lot. Not just me making laser and explosion sounds.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3248
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 8:12:06 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

The Conversation.
Badlands
Little Big Man
Being There
Cabaret
The Last Detail
The Sunshine Boys
Breaking Away
All the Presidents Men
Young Frankenstein
A Bridge Too Far
Midnight Express
The Goodbye Girl
A Clockwork Orange
Network
M.A.S.H
American Graffiti
Dog Day Afternoon

I'm with you. The 70s is when Hollywood finally cast off the studio system and independent superstar directors like Scorcese came to the fore. How can any decade with "Godfather I and II" be poor?

The list of Best Pictures is magnificent. "The Sting"? One of the best two hours I ever spent in a theater. I never saw the end coming; innocent times I guess. "Kramer vs. Kramer" holds up today, especially if you're divorced. "Jaws" I recall mostly for the loose halter top my date wore (on purpose; she had ideas), but it scared me as badly as "The Exorcist". (I grew up in Virginia Beach, largely in the water.) And I don't think anyone has mentioned "Star Wars." Great? Not in a "Citizen Kane" sense, but it did more to change movies for fifty years than any other title. We're still in the summer blockbuster era because of it and its descendants. You can accurately judge your real age if you answer the simple question "Did I take a date to see "Star Wars?" I did, and thus I am very, very old.

How could I take a date when I was saving myself for Princess Leia?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 3249
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 8:29:56 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

You can accurately judge your real age if you answer the simple question "Did I take a date to see "Star Wars?" I did, and thus I am very, very old.

Ha! I meant to put Star Wars on here, but of course I saw it in a theater at age 5! I still remember waiting in line and the buzz afterward in the parking lot. Not just me making laser and explosion sounds.

I was in college. I took a comely William and Mary girl who was a Charlottesville townie. She later became a lawyer, but I don't hold that against her. The thing about "Star Wars" when you think about it now was the lack of marketing. Movie openings are such machine operations now with the Net, entertainment shows on TV, massive PR, etc. Then all I knew about the movie was a poster on the side of the theater. No buzz. I thought it was a B movie for a summer afternoon with, as I said, a comely W&M girl eager to grow up. But when those yellow words got done scrolling and that GIANT spaceship came over my head from the back of the theater I was sitting there with my mouth open, and I didn't close it for two hours. I knew I was seeing history being made. It was that big a gut punch.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3250
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 8:31:02 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

The Conversation.
Badlands
Little Big Man
Being There
Cabaret
The Last Detail
The Sunshine Boys
Breaking Away
All the Presidents Men
Young Frankenstein
A Bridge Too Far
Midnight Express
The Goodbye Girl
A Clockwork Orange
Network
M.A.S.H
American Graffiti
Dog Day Afternoon

How could I take a date when I was saving myself for Princess Leia?

Your blaster wasn't big enough.

The Moose

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3251
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/25/2013 10:28:04 PM   
pws1225

quote:

No I did not. I took my son to see it, 3 times!

Sincerely, Mr. Older Than Dirt

Post #: 3252
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 1:38:38 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

quote:

No I did not. I took my son to see it, 3 times!

Sincerely, Mr. Older Than Dirt

As I say to my B-I-L: "Rocks aren't that old."

The Moose

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 3253
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 6:34:16 AM   
Cribtop

The first movies I saw in the theater were Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. What special films they were. I assumed that ALL MOVIES WERE AWESOME! The third movie I saw was Ishtar. It shattered my innocence forever. If a movie could suck, what was the point in living?

Post #: 3254
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 8:14:54 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Gentlemen, gentlemen, what list of great 70s movies could exclude "Animal House?" I based my college career on that movie. I still have a "College" sweatshirt. "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 3255
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 12:40:04 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Gentlemen, gentlemen, what list of great 70s movies could exclude "Animal House?" I based my college career on that movie. I still have a "College" sweatshirt. "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Cheers,
CC

I saw it seven times in the theater. Probably ten since on tape and cable. It was the model for our fraternity rush that year. A quotable line about every sixty seconds.

"I'm a zit. Get it?"

The Moose

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 3256
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 4:11:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I was slightly older than you, but close enough, obvert.

Good news: I saw Star Wars for the first time at the drive-in!

Bad news: ...with my parents and sister....

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3257
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 4:51:55 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm not a sci fi fan at all, but I wholeheartedly agree that Star Wars was a great ("Wow!") movie. I think it was the best movie of the '70s. I think Tora! Tora! Tora! might have been second best, but for reasons that demonstrate how subjective this is. My wife wouldn't like Tora! at all. :)

Nearly all of the other movies nominated by good folks rate from "okay" to "yuck!" in my book. I do realize my standardd and taste are rather unusual (not better, but probably odd).

I do note that you gents have enough taste not to mention the one movie that is worse than TMTSNBN. Arg! I can't even bring myself to mention it. Let's just put it this way: Hogan's Heroes was much better and far more true to history, bumbling Gestapo agents and overweight Keystone Cops sergeant and all.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/26/2013 4:52:55 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3258
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 4:54:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I'm not a sci fi fan at all, but I wholeheartedly agree that Star Wars was a great ("Wow!") movie. I think it was the best movie of the '70s. I think Tora! Tora! Tora! might have been second best, but for reasons that demonstrate how subjective this is. My wife wouldn't like Tora! at all. :)

Nearly all of the other movies nominated by good folks rate from "okay" to "yuck!" in my book. I do realize my standardd and taste are rather unusual (not better, but probably odd).

I do note that you gents have enough taste not to mention the one movie that is worse than TMTSNBN. Arg! I can't even bring myself to mention it. Let's just put it this way: Hogan's Heroes was much better and far more true to history, bumbling Gestapo agents and overweight Keystone Cops sergeant and all.

You must be talking about Kelly's Heroes?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3259
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 4:55:25 PM   
Canoerebel

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3260
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 5:12:38 PM   
Chickenboy

It wasn't THAT bad, rebel dude. Now, Paint your Wagon, on the other hand...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3261
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 5:21:44 PM   
Canoerebel

It was that bad! And worse! What is it Gollum says: "I hates it!"

On a separate train of thought, you know how some movies, while not great, for some reason really stick in your mind? How about Duel, Major Dundee, and Shenandoah? (Actually, the first and third are good movies, though not great.)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/26/2013 5:22:11 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3262
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 7:39:58 PM   
Flicker

I thought of 'Animal House' (1978) as a training film for college. Belushi followed it with the WW2 comedy '1941' (1979).

Some more great 70s movies that deserve mention:

'Mad Max' (1979) was a seminal work in the post-apocalypse genre, however I also like 'A Boy and his Dog' (1975) starring Don Johnson (for the surprise ending).
'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' (1974) features brave Sir Robin, namesake of the widely used Allied tactic.
'The Outlaw Josey Wales' (1976) is one of Clint Eastwood's best films
'Dirty Harry' (1971) is the best of the tough cop genre.
'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' (1975) is of course a cult classic.
"The Man Who Would Be King' (1975).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3263
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 8:02:02 PM   
CaptDave

"Animal House" came out in my freshman year. About half the guys on my floor in the dorm went to see it, and three of them went through rush immediately after.

A B&W movie I'd add to the list -- don't recall seeing anyone mention it -- is "Twelve O'Clock High." Most -- not all, but most -- other military movies with which I'm familiar were entertaining, but just inaccurate enough (knowing what I know now) to be off-putting.

Come to think of it, "Birdman of Alcatraz" wasn't too bad, though I'm not much of a Burt Lancaster fan (maybe if he didn't use the same persona for every role I've seen I'd think differently).

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 3264
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 8:09:15 PM   
Canoerebel

12/10/42 and 12/11/42

Carriers: KB is on a tour of the waters east of Diego, trending back towards home, though that can change at a snap since those carriers can leap around 18 hexes at a time (with a lethal radius, therefore, of as much as 26 hexes, that's a lengthy reach). The Allied carriers have pulled into Colombo, possibly undetected, and have refilled the aircraft squadrons. More merchantmen are ready to head to Sabang, so we'll resume the game of chicken shortly.

Sumatra: Fairly quiet here as I wait to see what John does next. SigInt reports an AA unit on a maru bound for Port Blair. This is a bit of a surprise as that's at the end of a limb for him; and yet, a strong IJN DD force just made for Victoria Point. John seems to have some plans, but I'm not sure what yet.

Burma: The Allied stack near Ramree will try a probing deliberate attack tomorrow.

xx 793 hut! hut! The Allies are about to invade Noumea. Advance elements found a IJN transport TF and sank 13 very small xAK and two SC. Then Minneapolis and Nevada bombarded the base. I know 56/c Div. is there augmented by a CD unit. The Allies have what amounts to four RCT 100% prepped. This won't be enough unless the bombardment runs are sufficient to badly disrupt the enemy. I have additional RCT and Commonwealth brigades available at Auckland, so I can reinforce if necessary. IE, I'm not sure this operation is going to succeed, but I'll push as hard as possible.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/27/2013 4:50:17 PM >

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 3265
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 9:21:41 PM   
Bif1961

What about Jaws and Tora Tora?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3266
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 9:28:32 PM   
Canoerebel

Several have mentioned Tora! Tora! Tora! I personally think it's a great movie and it's my "second best" of the '70s.

Jaws, like a great many of the movies listed, is entertaining but by no means "great."

The '70s were horrid for movies, style and hair.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 3267
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 9:33:28 PM   
Bif1961

If you don't think Jaws was a great movie, I have one thing to say to you; you are gonna need a bigger boat!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3268
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 9:39:47 PM   
Canoerebel

There are tons of '70s movies (many listed by you gents) that fit varying definitions of "entertaining," but certainly (to my way of thinking) do not reach the level of being great movies. Some quick examples from that decade: Jaws, The Sting, Deliverance, The Great Train Robbery, M*A*S*H, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Dirty Harry, Animal House, Jeremiah Johnson, Midnight Express, A Bridge to Far...

Those all have merit. There may be folks that love those movies for various personal reasons, the same way I love Tora! Tora! Tora! while my wife would fall asleep five minutes in. I'm not saying that I'm right and she's wrong, just that by my measurement these movies can't stack up to what I consider a great move: Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, My Fair Lady, Doctor Zhivago, Schindler's List, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, Pirates of the Carribean I, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and many more. From my perspective, I don't see how the '70s can offer anything close to what came in the '30s to '50s and '90s to present. The 70s were the black hole of movie making. A bunch of crud intermixed with a bunch of entertaining-but-not-great with a sad sprinkling of really good movies.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 3269
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/26/2013 10:30:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Hey wait! What about The Godfather (1972)? Tremendous film.

And Airport 4, the Lost Weekend(1979)?

You guys are a bunch of Philistines.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3270
Page:   <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI