Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2016 12:10:39 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

Cleaning up the Japanese TF is a perfect job for the Fletchers in the Aleutians. It is a nice opportunity to gain some experience for the ship crews without much risk.

Just a few posts up CR mentions losing 5 DDs (4 of them Fletchers) in the Aleutians. That seems to indicate the risk is much higher than when raiding on the open ocean.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 5581
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2016 1:34:52 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Kodiak has 150 AV behind 8 forts.

8 forts. That would be more concrete than the Tennessee Valley Authority used.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5582
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2016 2:10:59 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

quote:

Kodiak has 150 AV behind 8 forts.

8 forts. That would be more concrete than the Tennessee Valley Authority used.

But that includes beach side condos for the summer months with fully stocked bars.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5583
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2016 9:10:54 PM   
Canoerebel

7/23/43 and 7/24/43

Circus: You folks had a better handle on the weird IJ xAK TF south of the Aleutians. It's pulling back slowly westward, in plain sight of Allied NavSearch. It's currently five hexes SW of Ulak Island. I guess John was using it for bait. But I wasn't interested in investigating further.

Arleigh Burke led five Fletchers to Adak Island, and DMs deposited 136 mines overnight. An ACM is two days away. The island is re-loaded with fighters scheduled to sweep Amchitka. 4EB from Umnak are supposed to hit that airfield. The Fletchers sank an RO sub on the way in.

Roller Coaster: APA Sheridan made it to Pearl Harbor for a small victory celebration. Wasp and Lexington have 19 days left on Upgrades. CVs Kettle Creek and Olustee are three days from the map. So it does look like Death Star will be ready to move in strength in about 20 days.

Meantime, five Fletchers will reach Mili tonight. I'm interested in seeing if John reacts violently. The enemy shipping around Abemama seems to have pulled away.

Lots of SigInt about John repositioning troops - showing two divisions inbound to the Carolines and another to Truk.

Elsewhere and Otherwise: No recent sightings of KB. No clear picture as to any offensive plans John has as a result of his Sumatra Victory Dividend.

Fun: I'm just having a blast playing this game. I owe John a big thank you for creating a fun atmosphere and for being a fighter. It's also the first time since around '08 or '09 that I've gone deeply enough into the game to get all these fun toys. The last time was vs. Miller (as he noted a few pages back) when AE first came out. Miller is a different player than John. He's not ultra aggressive, but he's particularly tenacious on the defense. He would've handled the situation in Sumatra much differently, I think. He would've rolled up his sleeves and come hard no matter what the cost. I think that would've been the better strategy for Japan as opposed to letting it drag out so long. Each of us sees things differently and feels comfortable following his own instincts.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 5584
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/17/2016 9:27:24 PM   
witpqs

"Fun"? No kidding!
quote:

Circus: You folks had a better handle on the weird IJ xAK TF south of the Aleutians. It's pulling back slowly westward, in plain sight of Allied NavSearch. It's currently five hexes SW of Ulak Island. I guess John was using it for bait. But I wasn't interested in investigating further.

This sounds like one of those "He thinks that I think that he thinks that I think that he..." from the I Love Lucy Show! So basically John figured that you would expect him to invade back quickly and aggressively, so he put out a bait convoy to catch your response... COOL!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5585
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 5:03:51 AM   
crsutton

Dan, I went to a weekend event of the Civil War Trust in Baltimore and met a woman from Fayetteville. We got to talking. She is a historian and has been a curator of various places. Anyways I mentioned Georgia Backroads and she told me she was a big fan of the magazine. Now get back to your campaign...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5586
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 5:19:11 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

7/23/43 and 7/24/43

There you go being a party pooper on John's plans again!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5587
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 3:03:42 PM   
Canoerebel

7/25/43

Circus: Stiff fight over Amchitka as P47s, Hellcats and P38Gs come in separately to tangle with Tonys and Georges. The Allies come out ahead, downing 51 enemy fighters while losing about 20 of their own. Then the 4EB come in and do only minor damage to the airfield.

It looks like a stout CB-led TF is inbound to Adak. After weighing options, I've decided to leave the 5 Fletchers in place. I've tried this before under stronger configurations with poor results - losing CA Devonshire the first time and CLAA San Juan the second time. I want to see how just the Fletchers do. There's a small chance they'll inflict enough damage to discourage John from visiting Adak. Plus, the base has 136 mines, so if this is a combat TF inbound, that may create some damage.

The Canadians are prepping for Roi Namur, Kwajalein, Wake Island and Marcus Island. 667 PP paid for a Canadian brigade at Victoria yesterday - it's prepping for Roi and will team with the US RCT. Amphibs were preposition and will take the Canadians to Pearl. About the time of arrival, the carriers should be ready for action.

Roller Coaster: 5 Fletchers arrived at Mili and reported 10/10 detection. Lets see if John reacts. Supply and empty troop ships are inbound, so the Fletchers are the canaries in the coal mine. (The empty troop ships are to help retrieve excess units from Jaluit.)

Australia: An East African divisions arrives at Adelaide and is mostly unloaded. She's a decent divisions with about 350 AV but with poor experience at 40/40. She prepping for Noumea and will train to increase experience. But for the next 60 days or longer she'll be in reserve to respond to enemy attacks.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/18/2016 3:06:31 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5588
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 3:23:16 PM   
crsutton

As for mines. I am having considerable success with them in my current campaign. However, I have decided that loading up bases has only a minimal effect. Once they are known, they rarely go bang. They seem to have no effect on bombardment TFs and even do not seem to hinder Fast transport into or out of a hex. Rather now, I try to plant them in hexes where I think the Japanese will be moving through soon. They will degrade much faster but it seems that moving through a hex with mines has a much greater effect than moving into a hex with mines. Especially if they are unknown. So, if say I am planning a operation on the coast of Burma and I expect a reaction from Singapore, I will drop of mines just before launching my operation in coastal hexes around in the narrow waters between Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula. So far this has been working well.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5589
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 3:36:36 PM   
ny59giants

OT - In your writtings and for you magazine, have you done any articles on the fathers and maybe grandfathers of famous Civil War generals and their involvement in the Revoluntary War?? I'm re-reading my big book on George Washington and I just read the chapter on what happened to many key military leaders after the war. There was a paragraph on General Robert E. Lee's father and his limited role in the war.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5590
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 3:40:21 PM   
larryfulkerson

Edited for clairity.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/19/2016 2:59:23 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5591
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:00:56 PM   
Encircled

Can't speak for anyone else, but once was pushing it.

Sticking it on one of the most popular AARs?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 5592
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:04:22 PM   
Canoerebel

That probably needs some context, or newer readers are going to wonder what's going on.

That "I need a break" comment was posted in September 2013. And I then took a break of 2.25 years. I needed some down time. The forum had grown kind of toxic for me - mainly in the controversy over the use of picket ships between Sumatra and Ceylon. It got pretty ugly. One long-time forumite, in particular, just came right out and accused me of lying. But the main thing was that my father had just been badly hurt in a car accident. He was in the hospital and things didn't look good, so I wanted to step away briefly to get my head on straight before making any permanent decisions about the game. My dad died two weeks after the accident. In the meantime, John terminated the game. (Which seems odd - most folks think I was the one that terminated; but in fairness to him, I would have done so I think.)

But there was no breach in the relationship between John and I. We remained in communication and decided to resume the game this past December. Nor was there a breach between me and the forum at large, as I remained active during my sabbatical. I think there was a breach between me and the one player who expressed himself most strongly. We were never again on close terms, though we remained respectful.

All this was just a reflection of the tense nature of the game and personal circumstances that left me unable to process things dispassionately. I needed the break. Mission accomplished.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/18/2016 4:06:37 PM >

Post #: 5593
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:08:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

The forum had grown kind of toxic

This is my point.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5594
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:13:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Michael,

Relatively few of our stories are about prominent people. We seldom feature stories about governors, great generals, etc. Most of our stories are about the regular folks - the private who kept a diary of the Gettysburg campaign, the woman whose mother picked cotton during the Great Depression, etc.

Regarding the Revolution, a few years back we had a major story about George Washington's "secret submariner," a man who developed the idea of a submarine. He was a physician from Georgia. And next issue we'll have a story about the Battle of Kettle Creek.

Robert E. Lee's father, Lighthorse Harry Lee, died on Cumberland Island, Georgia, in the late 1700s or early 1800s. He was buried there and his toombstone is still in the cemetery. But he was later exhumed and (if memory serves) interred beside Lee at Washington & Lee University (going from old memory there).

We've been in publication for 32 years. We've done alot of stories in that time. Given enough time, we'll probably do something along the lines you suggest. Freelance stories are welcome, Michael, so if you're a writer....

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 5595
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:15:40 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
quote:

This is my point.

It happens. It was an interesting and intense time. But nearly everbody involved was good people just riled up by the intensity of the situation. It was kinda fun. But then my father's situation threw everything into confusion for me, so I wasn't able to process things well for a couple of weeks.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/18/2016 4:17:03 PM >

Post #: 5596
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:18:14 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

As for mines. I am having considerable success with them in my current campaign. However, I have decided that loading up bases has only a minimal effect. Once they are known, they rarely go bang. They seem to have no effect on bombardment TFs and even do not seem to hinder Fast transport into or out of a hex. Rather now, I try to plant them in hexes where I think the Japanese will be moving through soon. They will degrade much faster but it seems that moving through a hex with mines has a much greater effect than moving into a hex with mines. Especially if they are unknown. So, if say I am planning a operation on the coast of Burma and I expect a reaction from Singapore, I will drop of mines just before launching my operation in coastal hexes around in the narrow waters between Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula. So far this has been working well.

That's a good idea. I seldom sew mines in open waters, though I have on rare occasions. But I see the sense in not overdoing a base. I did turn Sabang into a mine-haven, and that worked wonders for several months. But eventually John figured out a solution and attended to the mines in short order.

The only bases that I have mines now are Adak, Dutch Harbor, Pearl Harbor and Chittagong. So my pools are flush with mines and it might work well to try your approach. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5597
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:18:21 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I wasn't able to process things well for a couple of weeks

No, it's not you and your personal problems, sorry about that by the way, it's this forum.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5598
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:21:08 PM   
Canoerebel

No offense taken, Larry. I understand the point you're making. But it was an interesting time that unexpectedly took on a surreal aspect.

Post #: 5599
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:25:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

This is my point.

What are your own motivations/desired outcomes for bringing up the "issues" that have occurred from time to time on the forum, and especially this AAR?
For the most part issues are resolved well enough that forumites get along so I cannot see a useful purpose in resurrecting stuff in an AAR?
And if the fact that issues arise reflects what happens in any group of humans over time, it does not mean humans are degenerate - they are just trying to cope in a bewilderingly complex world (IMO-FWIW).

Post #: 5600
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:30:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

What are your own motivations/desired outcomes for bringing up the "issues"

Maybe we could be a tiny bit kinder to each other?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5601
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 4:35:53 PM   
Miller

quote:

7/23/43 and 7/24/43

Arleigh Burke led five Fletchers to Adak Island, and DMs deposited 136 mines overnight. An ACM is two days away. The island is re-loaded with fighters scheduled to sweep Amchitka. 4EB from Umnak are supposed to hit that airfield. The Fletchers sank an RO sub on the way in.

Roller Coaster: APA Sheridan made it to Pearl Harbor for a small victory celebration. Wasp and Lexington have 19 days left on Upgrades. CVs Kettle Creek and Olustee are three days from the map. So it does look like Death Star will be ready to move in strength in about 20 days.

Meantime, five Fletchers will reach Mili tonight. I'm interested in seeing if John reacts violently. The enemy shipping around Abemama seems to have pulled away.

Lots of SigInt about John repositioning troops - showing two divisions inbound to the Carolines and another to Truk.

Elsewhere and Otherwise: No recent sightings of KB. No clear picture as to any offensive plans John has as a result of his Sumatra Victory Dividend.

Fun: I'm just having a blast playing this game. I owe John a big thank you for creating a fun atmosphere and for being a fighter. It's also the first time since around '08 or '09 that I've gone deeply enough into the game to get all these fun toys. The last time was vs. Miller (as he noted a few pages back) when AE first came out. Miller is a different player than John. He's not ultra aggressive, but he's particularly tenacious on the defense. He would've handled the situation in Sumatra much differently, I think. He would've rolled up his sleeves and come hard no matter what the cost. I think that would've been the better strategy for Japan as opposed to letting it drag out so long. Each of us sees things differently and feels comfortable following his own instincts.

Thanks for the praise Dan. Not sure if I would have done any better than John to be honest. Oh by the way, its defence not defense

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5602
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 5:07:34 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

quote:

Its the ability to bash each other over an issue and then get over it and not being resentfull what counts. This also requires certain lines not to be crossed.
This forum is already the most polite forum I have ever been in.

Post #: 5603
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 5:27:19 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

quote:

Its the ability to bash each other over an issue and then get over it and not being resentfull what counts. This also requires certain lines not to be crossed.
This forum is already the most polite forum I have ever been in.

I second this opinion. For the most part people here are respectful and I dont think I have seen a troll post in years.

When people disagree it does not mean they are being rude or mean.

It is the poster of the AAR's duty to security because the poster cannot realistically expect every reader to follow the same code of conduct much less any code of conduct.

And in regards to rules of the game, people set up HR's to deal with issues like this.

In this game CR is restricted in Strategic bombing until a certain date which makes no sense IRL but was something agreed to in game and both players are fine with it. Picket ships can be addressed in an HR for whatever game is being played but there is no hard and fast rule or code that is going to be implemented.

Nobody likes their sneak attacks uncovered but that is part of the game.

This forum is awesome and there is a great group of people here IMO.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 5604
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 5:27:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Heartily agree with that.

What I sometimes find though is that people have hidden "triggers" that can get them upset even when the poster was just trying to be funny or give a gentle ribbing - the kind that buddies often give each other. Lots of stuff starts innocently, it's the overreaction that cuts the communication IMO.
Anyway, don't want to carry on the diversion from the war any more so I will comment no further.

Post #: 5605
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 5:48:35 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller
Oh by the way, its defence not defense

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

Though defense is now the American spelling, it is not American in origin. The OED and Google Books reveal examples of the spelling from as long ago as the 1300s, many centuries before the United States existed. That spelling continued to appear a fraction of the time through the 19th century, when it was taken up by American writers. Today, to the chagrin of those who dislike American English, the spelling is gaining ground throughout the English-speaking world.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 5606
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 6:33:00 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Yer all wrong, its Defenſe

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5607
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 6:51:04 PM   
Bearcat2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

That's a good idea. I seldom sew mines in open waters, though I have on rare occasions. But I see the sense in not overdoing a base. I did turn Sabang into a mine-haven, and that worked wonders for several months. But eventually John figured out a solution and attended to the mines in short order.

The only bases that I have mines now are Adak, Dutch Harbor, Pearl Harbor and Chittagong. So my pools are flush with mines and it might work well to try your approach. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

The island 1 hex to the west of Adak is a good place to drop mines; for some reason have had better success when a enemy task force passes through a mined hex

< Message edited by Termite2 -- 4/18/2016 6:52:23 PM >

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5608
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 7:19:50 PM   
Canoerebel

7/26/43

Circus: A stout Japanese bombardment TF (a CB, three CA, a CL, and some DD) arrived at Adak and did battle with Arleigh Burke's Fletchers. It was not a bloodbath, but I think this is one of those cases where the ramifications exceed the sum of the parts. One 13-point (IE, good) IJN DD was sunk outright, a second took "heavy fires/heavy damage" and a third hit a mine and incurred "on fire, heavy damage." The Fletchers suffered minimal damage - no flotation (all still at 0), no more than 2 engine, and two have 10-12 SYS. I think John has lost enough DDs that any battle that doesn't result in at least an equal trade will be worrisome to him. There is also the fact that a relatively small Allied TF stood toe-to-toe with a large Japanese TF and came out ahead.

The Japanese contrinued through the bombardment mission and did moderate damage to the field and minimal damage to aircraft. I'm going to pull back my fighters while the Fletchers retire to Dutch Harbor to rearm. I'll see if they can repair the SYS damage quickly enough to avoid a trip to Kodiak or Prince Rupert.

I missed a chance here to do more damage. The IJN ships lingered close to Adak. Had I loaded up neighboring Ulak with SBDs, they might have struck to good effect. I didn't because I thought John might be targeting that small airfield (he'd been paying alot of attention to it via recon).

Roller Coaster: No visible response yet to the Fletcher TF at Mili. Four merchantmen TFs inbound are 20-25 hexes east and showing no detection.

Battle of Sumatra: Two IJ divisions attacked (shock) the surviving Allied support unit stack west of Sabang. Most of them surrendered. The last few units will undoubtedly follow suit tomorrow, bringing and end to the campaign 8.5 months after D-Day.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/18/2016 7:22:23 PM >

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 5609
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/18/2016 8:34:27 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller
Oh by the way, its defence not defense

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

Though defense is now the American spelling, it is not American in origin. The OED and Google Books reveal examples of the spelling from as long ago as the 1300s, many centuries before the United States existed. That spelling continued to appear a fraction of the time through the 19th century, when it was taken up by American writers. Today, to the chagrin of those who dislike American English, the spelling is gaining ground throughout the English-speaking world.

No, Miller is completely wrong - this is de fence!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5610
Page:   <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI