Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 9:01:23 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/42

SWPac: Things are beginning to pop. First, the vast array of Allied TFs moves north of Rockhampton without opposition, though many of the TFs report detection. LRCAP from land-based fighters will be thinner until drawing within range of Townsville in two days. No sign of KB or combat ships. Enemy paratroops take vacant Lord Howe Island (which had a some PBYs and an AVP). This would have been a catastrophe two or three days back, but Lord Howe is now far, far to the rear of my ships - Koumac is considerably closer - so this doesn't increase John's "snoping" abilities. Back-to-back email comments from John: "Pretty exciting Sir!" and "Watching and Looking..." He knows I'm coming. His patrols also get a whiff of several of the "feint" TFs off Esperance, but I doubt he'll fall for that at this late date.

Bay of Bengal: Modest enemy air raids vs. Ramree are largely ineffective due to CAP.

Burma: Quiet as the two sides continue to shift and prepare for the next round of action. BB Resolution to depart Chittagong tonight. She has llight/moderate engine damage incurred in the Second Battle of Assam.

92/29/+1/24

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2191
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 9:09:59 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

11/5/42

92/29/+1/24

Still don't get Dan's math

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 6/19/2013 9:36:45 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2192
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 2:21:25 PM   
obvert

97/25/0/21

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2193
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 2:53:06 PM   
pws1225

Seems obvert thinks he has cracked the code. We'll have to wait and see.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2194
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 2:56:38 PM   
Canoerebel

Nah. He'll be relatively close on three of the numbers, but significantly wrong on one of them. :)

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 2195
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 5:03:50 PM   
Canoerebel

11/6/42

SWPac Today: The popping sounds you hear are the conversion of mighty forces in the Coral Sea. The Allied amphibious armada, including carriers and combat TFs, was not molested other than patrols. I don't think John has gotten any detection yet on the flattops or major combattants. Enemy raiding TFs pick off a bunch of my picket ships - two xAKL and DD Sands downed. A strong line of enemy subs just outside the Great Barrier Reef picks off an AM and jousts with an xAK. The KB - or a major subdivision - is three hexes SW (true) of Koumac. Patrols reoprt a TF comprised of 6 CV, 2 CVL (36 F, 33 B, 11 A). IJA paratroops take vacant Norfolk Island. An enemy TF of some is nearing Cairns/Townsville. Over on the west coast, enemy patrols pick up the feint amphibious armada that's off Geraldton.

SWPac Tomorrow: I'm breathing a sigh of relief as tomorrow my ships will draw close to Townsville, where there will be a multitude of LRCAP. Also loaded up nearby airfields with bombers. I don't think John will spring the KB yet, given the LRCAP threat. D-Day is roughly five or six days off, depending on what opposition I face in coming days. I really, really, really like having the KB down around New Caledonia rather than right in my face.

Bay of Bengal: Very quiet. Ineffective raids against Ramree airfield do slight damage.

Burma: Still quiet. I'm counting the days until I can throw 18th UK Div. into the fray.

91/24/+2/21

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2196
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 5:41:34 PM   
JohnDillworth

BTW, I have stationed Ninja's on your property lest you try and go canoeing in the near future. No, you can't see them, they are Ninja's. Sorry it has come to this but I am not waiting a week to see the outcome

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2197
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 6:45:14 PM   
Canoerebel

The die is cast. The Allies are moving forward. A big fight will take place. The first beach will be hit in 5 or 6 days.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2198
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 6:54:45 PM   
Miller

quote:

The die is cast. The Allies are moving forward. A big fight will take place. The first beach will be hit in 5 or 6 days.

Hurrah!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2199
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 6:55:14 PM   
Chickenboy

Finally!

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 2200
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 6:59:27 PM   
Encircled

Could be messy (will be good fun to read what happens though!)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2201
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:14:45 PM   
Canoerebel

My email to John: "Send text combat report as soon as its available. Have no idea what might happen this turn, but juding by your emails, something's up."

His reply to me: "Some thing is up with ME??!! How about that armada OF YOURS slowing working its way up the coast of Kangarooland!??...This will be fun, crazy, and plan to drink heavily once it begins..."

You think he's waiting for me? Thing is, I don't think he knows what all is coming up the coast to hammer away at the enemy. :)

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 2202
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:27:54 PM   
pws1225

Whatever comes of all this, it will be great fun to watch. Hats off to you and John for providing the peanut gallery with a great game.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2203
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:29:14 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

My email to John: "Send text combat report as soon as its available. Have no idea what might happen this turn, but juding by your emails, something's up."

His reply to me: "Some thing is up with ME??!! How about that armada OF YOURS slowing working its way up the coast of Kangarooland!??...This will be fun, crazy, and plan to drink heavily once it begins..."

You think he's waiting for me? Thing is, I don't think he knows what all is coming up the coast to hammer away at the enemy. :)

Everybody gets what they want. You wanted this. John wanted this. You both think you have it all figured out. We shall see whom he gods of war smile upon. Everybody gets what they want.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2204
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:29:30 PM   
Schlemiel

I agree. Popcorn all around, just like Burma. I see Canoe's real strategy all too clearly: he's opening a second front in the thread post count war with greyjoy by dangling all his invasion fleet in Japanese view for so long :)

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 2205
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:35:30 PM   
obvert

quote:

Can I please play someone who tells me what they're going to do before they do it?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2206
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:42:28 PM   
Cribtop

CR, the KB sighting worries me. My earlier spidey sense tingle is now a disturbing facial twitch. If it's only part of KB, you may well still be ok. If he's got most of the Pearl Harbor six here, and a bunch of LBA, look out.

My real main concern is that John knows where you are and you don't fully know where he is. In my experience, an ISR and DL advantage is one key factor in the outcome of AE CV battles.

You could well still win this, and I'm not predicting doom. But IMHO the risk of the Op went up several notches with the KB sighting. If he still has 5 or 6 days to get into position, that's plenty of time.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2207
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:48:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop
My real main concern is that John knows where you are and you don't fully know where he is.

Gentlemen,

A reminder about OPSEC please. CR doesn't know what he doesn't know. What he doesn't 'fully' know should not be reiterated. As far as he's concerned, he fully knows what he fully knows.

God, I sound like Rumsfeld.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 6/19/2013 11:50:37 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2208
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:49:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Can I please play someone who tells me what they're going to do before they do it?

Alright, Obvert. I'll play you and kick your heiney. There.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2209
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/19/2013 11:53:33 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Everybody gets what they want.

You can't always get what you want. Sometimes you get what you need.

The Moose

Post #: 2210
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 6:29:35 AM   
Sangeli

Definitely watch out for LBA especially because he knows something is up (not from reading the AAR but from his response you posted of course). Give a Japanese player that much time to assemble planes and he'll make you pay unless you have unquestionable air superiority or he get unlucky with coordination. Personally I think that Nov 1942 is too early to launch a direct attack in the SWPac because you lack the CVE to protect the amphibious task force properly and you. Lastly, I don't see why LRCAP would really deter a KB attack. Isn't there a significant coordination penalty over CTF for LRCAP? I love this AAR and I would hate to see it turn boring after a combined LBA and KB attack smashes through your LRCAP and CVs...good luck.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 2211
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 7:06:07 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Alright, Obvert. I'll play you and kick your heiney. There.

How about a start in about 2-3 months. I'll play Allies, which I've been dying to do. You can pick any Scenario you want. Now that I know what you're going to do this should be easy!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2212
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 7:10:52 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sangeli

Definitely watch out for LBA especially because he knows something is up (not from reading the AAR but from his response you posted of course). Give a Japanese player that much time to assemble planes and he'll make you pay unless you have unquestionable air superiority or he get unlucky with coordination. Personally I think that Nov 1942 is too early to launch a direct attack in the SWPac because you lack the CVE to protect the amphibious task force properly and you. Lastly, I don't see why LRCAP would really deter a KB attack. Isn't there a significant coordination penalty over CTF for LRCAP? I love this AAR and I would hate to see it turn boring after a combined LBA and KB attack smashes through your LRCAP and CVs...good luck.

Oh, that would not make this game boring!

That said, Dan usually has a few tricks up his sleeve. Not to mention THE NUMBERS. Which are undoubtedly a voodoo hex spun over many turns onto his opponents' air and naval forces.

I for one am very excited to see what is going to happen here and very interested to learn a few new things! (About the power of mathematics mostly).

(in reply to Sangeli)
Post #: 2213
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 8:27:50 AM   
JocMeister

Time to get some beer and popcorn I think!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2214
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 11:46:07 AM   
kjnoel

Like lots of people I read both AARs and I have to say it is fascinating!

I think CR is leading JIII exactly where he wants him at this stage. Smoke and mirrors? Maskirovka? Is this really what it seems, a clash of titans? Or is there a bunch of empty TFs rolling up the east coast of OZ... attempting to draw in Japan's finest? Is Japan's finest even being drawn in?

I don't know the answer and I won't put this in the other AAR, but either way it's going to be a great show.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2215
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 11:55:28 AM   
JohnDillworth

Well I guess now that the die is cast I will make my predictions. I don't like what you are doing here Dan. It's 1942 and by all appearances you are waltzing into a well prepared position with an enemy pretty much aware of what you are trying to do, what you have and where you are going. I suspect you may get some of your objectives, but certainly not all. You have lots of stuff, with more stuff coming, but you are going to lose lots of stuff. I was going to compare this battle to Gettysburg where both sides were spoiling for a fight and the location was only decided upon because someone wanted to pick up some boots, but it's not the best comparison. This is more like Kursk, and you are not the team with the really cool hats. Best of luck all the same. I'm hoping to be suprised

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 2216
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 1:34:16 PM   
Canoerebel

Well, there's always a chance that a timid player like me can get cold feet and scrub the mission or postpone it, though I'm not planning too.

I haven't seen the new turn yet, but I'm anxious to develop (if possible) further information about John's carriers. One possibility is that he's made a mistake and left them too far to the rear, permitting the Allies to spring forward and take Horn Island and Merauke. Those airfields would allow Allied land-based fighters to move further forward to help the cause.

But I must admit that I would not be above trying to bait John into a big carrier battle just off the coast of Oz, where I have the benefit of both massed LRCAP and nearby ports to handle damaged ships, while he would have no friendly ports closer than Rabaul to handle his cripplies (as I have lots of 4EB in Oz).

But I really feel a pressing need to open a second air front, and I feel pretty darn confident that John, in his aggressiveness, will make some mistakes in opening the battle that will create opportunities to punish the enemy.

Post #: 2217
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 2:28:20 PM   
Canoerebel

Latest email from John: "Things shall be slow as I am being WAAAAAAY methodical right now."

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2218
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 3:06:03 PM   
JocMeister

You have ALL the CVs with you I hope? I seem to remember the Wasp being with some of the Brit CVs in the IO some time ago? If you plan on taking on the KB (which I don´t necessarily think is a bad idea) you will need them all.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2219
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/20/2013 3:21:34 PM   
Canoerebel

11/7/42

SWPac: A surprisingly quiet day as the forces of both sides continue to converge. I think this may be the last quiet day. I think tomorrow things begin to really pop. No sign of the IJN carriers today, though I think they may be closing in from the SE. I think the Allied ships are still in a bit of a pocket where it's hard for John to get decent detection levels. Only a couple of my TFs show detection, none of them the carriers. A fair number of enemy fighters and bombers hit Cooktown airfield. Tomorrow, my amphibious armada - and what an armada it is - will pass Townsville, though it will still be in easy range of LRCAP. To answer Joc's question, all the American carriers (plus Indomitable) are together. Hornet was in the Bay of Bengal many, many months ago, but has since been to Pearl Harbor, Tahiti, New Zealand, etc. Hold onto your hats, gents.

Bay of Bengal: Very quiet except for minor air raids against Ramree (John's losing alot of bombers to heavy flak each day).

Burma: I think 18th UK Div. will be in action in a week or less.

89/17/[+/-2]/17

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 6/20/2013 3:22:46 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 2220
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI