Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MicroManagement Let's Play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: MicroManagement Let's Play Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 3/1/2013 7:09:23 PM   
Antiscamp

I've now watched the whole series. It was a splendid ride, for sure, and it was interesting and fun all the way through. I learned a lot from you that I've noted I've been applying to my own game now too. Thanks, StarLab, for doing this LP, and I hope to see more soon, as I believe I've said.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 31
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 3/1/2013 7:22:25 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

I've now watched the whole series. It was a splendid ride, for sure, and it was interesting and fun all the way through. I learned a lot from you that I've noted I've been applying to my own game now too. Thanks, StarLab, for doing this LP, and I hope to see more soon, as I believe I've said.

Good stuff! Thanks!

Admittedly, things got a little disorganized near the end as I was intent on bringing the series to a close at that point.

Doing that LP has really made me sit back and review how I'm doing things. The comments that were made were great in pointing out some of my shortcomings and have already improved my game.

I will be doing another LP but likely won't be for a bit.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 32
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 5/7/2013 9:09:06 PM   
tylertoo

Larry: thanks for doing this micromanagement series. I have just started working my way through it in order to learn to play with automation off. I've only played DW with high amounts of automation.

I'm currently only on part two. I'm taking detailed notes on your approach. Its a great help.

You manually turn automation off on newly-created ships. At one point you say that players can set it so new ships arrive with auto off. How do you do this? Why don't you do this, if you want to micromanage?

Also, is there a way to get a pop-up message when a ship has no mission, so they're not sitting around?

Thanks!

< Message edited by tylertoo -- 5/7/2013 9:10:13 PM >

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 33
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 5/7/2013 9:36:44 PM   
Bingeling

There is an option page under the menu (hit escape in game, or look for a button up left).

That is the original game options. There you have on the main page a list of events and how to display them. Look if ship complete is one you can make more noisy.

On the same option page, there is a link to "Empire Options" or similar approximately midway through. This has some nicely hidden options for default stances, attack overmatch, popup suppression, and what you ask for - newly built ships starting automated.

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 34
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 5/8/2013 1:54:57 AM   
tylertoo

Thanks Bing

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 35
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 5/8/2013 1:57:09 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: tylertoo

Larry: thanks for doing this micromanagement series. I have just started working my way through it in order to learn to play with automation off. I've only played DW with high amounts of automation.

I'm currently only on part two. I'm taking detailed notes on your approach. Its a great help.

You manually turn automation off on newly-created ships. At one point you say that players can set it so new ships arrive with auto off. How do you do this? Why don't you do this, if you want to micromanage?

Also, is there a way to get a pop-up message when a ship has no mission, so they're not sitting around?

Thanks!

Thanks for watching!

I see Bingeling answered your questions. (Thanks Bing!) I did gloss over some things that I should have talked about more, I think. Although, I did get some comments from a few saying they preferred that I didn't explain every little thing.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 36
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 12/13/2013 11:14:01 PM   
Timotheus

This is the let's play which made me buy this game (ouch says my wallet) and from which I have learned the most on how to play.

Very well done.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 37
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 12/14/2013 5:01:18 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

This is the let's play which made me buy this game (ouch says my wallet) and from which I have learned the most on how to play.

Very well done.

Thank you.

Always a pleasure helping a fellow gamer in emptying their wallet... (The same thing will happen with your free time also - GONE! Just FYI...) lol

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 38
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 12/19/2013 6:56:25 AM   
Timotheus

quote:

Thank you.

Always a pleasure helping a fellow gamer in emptying their wallet... (The same thing will happen with your free time also - GONE! Just FYI...) lol

It's 1:55AM here, you couldn't be more ... wrong...

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 39
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 12/19/2013 11:00:36 AM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

quote:

Thank you.

It's 1:55AM here, you couldn't be more ... wrong...

Only 1:55am? Pfft! Whudda Lightweight! hehehe...

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 40
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 1/19/2014 3:30:24 PM   
Hrdina

Hi, I've been watching the Lemeresh LP but there doesn't seem to be a thread for that one.

In Ep 33 you were looking for super-luxuries but found no Loros Fruit. I wonder if that was on one of the planets that you dispatched a while ago? :D

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 41
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 1/19/2014 6:46:28 PM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hrdina

Hi, I've been watching the Lemeresh LP but there doesn't seem to be a thread for that one.

In Ep 33 you were looking for super-luxuries but found no Loros Fruit. I wonder if that was on one of the planets that you dispatched a while ago? :D

Yup! I suspect the same. One of the rarest things in the universe and I come along and blow it up. Nice guy, eh? lol

I overlooked starting a thread for that series. Since I'm 34 episodes in, I'm not going to worry about it at this point. Besides, this series is just more about having fun blowing stuff up rather than any insightful game play.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Hrdina)
Post #: 42
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 1/19/2014 10:03:04 PM   
arnee

hi StarLab,I hope you dont mind but can you share what the galaxy backdrop you are using on this LP, it seems like its not from the GEM or Extended mod.

Thanks

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 43
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 1/20/2014 2:24:59 AM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: arnee

hi StarLab,I hope you dont mind but can you share what the galaxy backdrop you are using on this LP, it seems like its not from the GEM or Extended mod.

Thanks

Hmmm... could have swore it was from GEM2.4 but I might have maintained the backdrop from GEM2.3. Can't remember now.

I'll attach it here regardless.

Attachment (1)

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to arnee)
Post #: 44
RE: MicroManagement Let's Play - 1/20/2014 2:28:47 AM   
Hrdina

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarLab

Yup! I suspect the same. One of the rarest things in the universe and I come along and blow it up. Nice guy, eh? lol

I overlooked starting a thread for that series. Since I'm 34 episodes in, I'm not going to worry about it at this point. Besides, this series is just more about having fun blowing stuff up rather than any insightful game play.

Ha, if your goal was to blow stuff up, then mission accomplished!

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: MicroManagement Let's Play Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI