Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why no grand campaign???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Why no grand campaign??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why no grand campaign??? - 2/26/2013 12:43:22 AM   
Tanaka

The scenarios are great but I wanna play the big one! Please tell me this is in the plans!

Post #: 1
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 2/26/2013 2:05:18 AM   
BohémondAJE

No Great campaign is planned for now.

But are you talking about AJE or BOR ?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 2/26/2013 2:10:20 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: BohémondAJE

No Great campaign is planned for now.

But are you talking about AJE or BOR ?

Ive got both so either! Would love to play from the beginning of Rome!

(in reply to BohémondAJE)
Post #: 3
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 2/26/2013 3:03:29 AM   
aspqrz02

So, 753 BC (there's some archaeological evidence to support this is a realistic date for the foundation of Rome) to ... what, exactly?

* End of the Republic (14 BC or thereabouts when Octavian/Augustus formally "restores" (ha! ha! ) it?

9000 odd monthly turns!

* Collapse in the West (late 5th century AD, though not 476 AD for reasons technical)?

+ 6000 or so additional monthly turns! (= 15000 total)

* Collapse in the East (15th Century AD, but not 1453 AD ... again, for reasons techical)?

+ 11000 or so additional turns? (= 26,000 total)

* Collapse of the Romanovs (who claimed to trace their legitimacy from the Late East Roman Empire, c 1920s AD)?

+ 5500 additional turns (c. 32000 total!)

Average of, what, maybe 15 minutes a turn? 8000 hours. 8 hours a day = 1000 days or about 3 years, more or less full time. Closer to 4 if you have weekends off.

AJE/BOR = It's not a game, it's a *lifestyle*.

And I strongly doubt that you'd get by with only am average 15 minute turn. Managing the economy, the tech tree (for ghu's sake, *designing* the tech tree would be a horrendous job!), random events (plagues, deaths, civil wars, foreign invasions ... and, if you do significantly better than historically, then there'd be the need to map the entire old world, from the Arctic Circle to the tip of Africa, from Ireland to Japan, just so you could invade everything in sight and conquer it all ... then there'd be the "New World" and "Pacific" expansion sets, adding scope for more conquests.

It would be a lifetime commitment

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 2/26/2013 11:46:55 AM   
fvianello

+1

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 5
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 2/26/2013 10:08:46 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: aspqrz

So, 753 BC (there's some archaeological evidence to support this is a realistic date for the foundation of Rome) to ... what, exactly?

* End of the Republic (14 BC or thereabouts when Octavian/Augustus formally "restores" (ha! ha! ) it?

9000 odd monthly turns!

* Collapse in the West (late 5th century AD, though not 476 AD for reasons technical)?

* Collapse in the East (15th Century AD, but not 1453 AD ... again, for reasons techical)?

* Collapse of the Romanovs (who claimed to trace their legitimacy from the Late East Roman Empire, c 1920s AD)?

Average of, what, maybe 15 minutes a turn? 8000 hours. 8 hours a day = 1000 days or about 3 years, more or less full time. Closer to 4 if you have weekends off.

And I strongly doubt that you'd get by with only am average 15 minute turn. Managing the economy, the tech tree (for ghu's sake, *designing* the tech tree would be a horrendous job!), random events (plagues, deaths, civil wars, foreign invasions ... and, if you do significantly better than historically, then there'd be the need to map the entire old world, from the Arctic Circle to the tip of Africa, from Ireland to Japan, just so you could invade everything in sight and conquer it all ... then there'd be the "New World" and "Pacific" expansion sets, adding scope for more conquests.

Phil

Yes, yes, yes I'm with you - hope the devs read this!

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 6
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 2/27/2013 2:15:29 AM   
hjc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

Yes, yes, yes I'm with you - hope the devs read this!

The developer's forum is here:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/forum.php

cheers

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 7
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 3/4/2013 9:12:07 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

9000 odd monthly turns!

Phil

RE-PLAYABILITY!

Yes that's exactly what I want!

Once your done with the short scenarios your done with the whole game! Such a waste!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 3/4/2013 9:13:12 PM >

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 8
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 3/4/2013 10:48:01 PM   
wodin

erm....you do realise that one turn to process would take around 15 mins or so...also it wouldn't take long really before things become totally ahistorical.

How on earth could they beta test a 32,000 turn game?

There would be no replayability as your life would be spent on just one game.

Finally look at PoN when the engine tries to go big.

I really wouldn't call some of the scenarios in game small...at all aren't some of them over 200 turns?.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/4/2013 10:49:02 PM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 9
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 3/4/2013 11:37:01 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

erm....you do realise that one turn to process would take around 15 mins or so...also it wouldn't take long really before things become totally ahistorical.

I really wouldn't call some of the scenarios in game small...at all aren't some of them over 200 turns?.

He can't be serious! He's just blowing in the wind....

Tony

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 3/6/2013 8:06:09 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

Yes you would definitely need to divide it into eras. PON sucks because it is so complicated to learn!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 3/6/2013 9:31:55 PM   
wodin

Thats what they are doing now though isn't it?
quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

Yes you would definitely need to divide it into eras. PON sucks because it is so complicated to learn!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 12
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 3/7/2013 3:50:35 PM   
Matto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

PON is easier then War in the Pacific ... and it is great game with huge replayability !!!

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 13
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 4/6/2013 8:42:13 PM   
shunwick

Guys,

I have been looking at these games and saving up my pennies. I am now familiar with AJE and BOR. But please, can someone translate PoN for me. I am thinking Panzers on the Nile (no, that would be PotN), Portugal Ousts Nazis, or Partners of Napoleon, etc...

Bugger. Pride of Nations. Worked it out after all.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/6/2013 8:49:23 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 14
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 4/6/2013 10:02:14 PM   
Matto

Yes, that is it ... the game for whole rest of life ...

My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 15
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 4/7/2013 5:31:48 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matto

... the game for whole rest of life ...

Well... that would be TOAW but I have had a quick look at Pride of Nations and I must admit I like what I see. I might be inclined to buy that before AJE or BOR.

I had never heard of Ageod before their games arrived here but they do seem to have some very tempting games.

Do you know if Matrix are going to sell all the Ageod games or just the later ones?

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 16
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 4/7/2013 7:47:24 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

9000 odd monthly turns!

Phil

Talk about exaggerating a point. lol An empire builder like Total War did it would be just fine. 200-400 years as long as players get to play Caesar, Scipio and Hannibal.

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 17
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 4/8/2013 2:55:48 PM   
Matto

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Do you know if Matrix are going to sell all the Ageod games or just the later ones?

I'm not completely sure, but as I know, AGEOD are working on new patch versions of Pride of Nations and Rise of Prussia, which will move game to Matrix sell system ... so both will be sell here too. I know nothing about older games ...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 18
RE: Why no grand campaign??? - 4/8/2013 9:15:17 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matto

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I'm not completely sure, but as I know, AGEOD are working on new patch versions of Pride of Nations and Rise of Prussia, which will move game to Matrix sell system ... so both will be sell here too. I know nothing about older games ...

Matto,

Thanks for that. It gives me a little more time to save my pennies. I shall wait for the new patch.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Why no grand campaign??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI