Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 9:30:39 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Leeb and Runstedt are still grinding it out and making little progress.

In the West however Rommel's 1st Panzer Army is still dishing out very heavy losses on the enemy.
Although Rommel has been demanding that Goring do something about all the Muslim Divebombers before he doesn't have any tanks left.
Islamabad Bombers destroyed 3 Light armor regiments this month. Goring has assured Rommel that a Fighter group has been formed specifically to protect The 1st Panzer army but that engineers have not yet built an airfield close enough to the panzers to give them the air cover they need. The airfield should become operational next month.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FieldOfGlory)
Post #: 61
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 9:38:53 AM   
FieldOfGlory

A look at this month Casualties.

Most of the casualties inflicted on the enemy this round were the work of the 1st Panzer Army.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 62
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 9:53:15 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Casualties at end of AI turn in July.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 63
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 10:02:32 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Enemy Armor is swarming against Rommel's Southern flank which has already been weakened from Muslim divebombers. Rommel warns General Leeb that the 1st Panzer Army has run into major enemy resistance from the South and may have to halt its Eastward advance.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 64
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 3:15:21 PM   
jday305

Since your enemy is so heavy into tank production you may want to add some anti-tank or tank destroyers to Rommels army as a way to wear down their numbers. This is a more cost effective way to deflect the enemy's tank force while reserving your tank force to exploit a possible breakthrough and encirclement that you are hoping for. Just a suggestion. By the way keep this up as I am looking forward each day to see how your progress is going

Post #: 65
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 4:28:32 PM   
Josh

Oh $rap the AI has Light Armour II already curses.  add this to his Bombers and Heavy Arty... hmmm, one mistake and you're into a lot of trouble Kirk.
Good luck.

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 66
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 11:15:56 PM   
FieldOfGlory

quote:

ORIGINAL: jday305

Since your enemy is so heavy into tank production you may want to add some anti-tank or tank destroyers to Rommels army as a way to wear down their numbers. This is a more cost effective way to deflect the enemy's tank force while reserving your tank force to exploit a possible breakthrough and encirclement that you are hoping for. Just a suggestion. By the way keep this up as I am looking forward each day to see how your progress is going

Most of Rommel's mechanized Infantry Divisions are all carrying around 2 regiments of AT guns per division. The light Tank divisions have been running with 4 Lt Tanks and 20 Infantry regiments per division.
You got me wondering though. If I lose the Infantry and replace them with 2 AT guns then the tanks would get a big Anti-armor boost. I have never tried that before though and I wonder if the AT guns will be more vulnerable without the Infantry.

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 67
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 11:27:07 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: FieldOfGlory

quote:

ORIGINAL: jday305

Most of Rommel's mechanized Infantry Divisions are all carrying around 2 regiments of AT guns per division. The light Tank divisions have been running with 4 Lt Tanks and 20 Infantry regiments per division.
You got me wondering though. If I lose the Infantry and replace them with 2 AT guns then the tanks would get a big Anti-armor boost. I have never tried that before though and I wonder if the AT guns will be more vulnerable without the Infantry.

Keep the infantry and add the AT guns with vehicular transport.

Post #: 68
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/6/2013 11:33:41 PM   
FieldOfGlory

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

Oh $rap the AI has Light Armour II already curses.  add this to his Bombers and Heavy Arty... hmmm, one mistake and you're into a lot of trouble Kirk.
Good luck.

Yes the situation on Rommel's Southern flank is a little disturbing at the moment. Hopefully I can take out a few of those tanks in counterattacks. On the plus side I will be able to give Rommel's armor some air cover this turn. So far the Heavy Arty's have not been a major factor but Rommel's advance the last 2 or 3 turns have caught quiet a few of them off guard and destroyed them.

So have you had any experience with running AT guns with your armor? I am wondering if its worth a try and if it works out alright.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 69
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 7:39:33 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Guderian and Model Continue to have good success with there break through in the East and Guderian's 3rd Army is on the outskirts of Oujda.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 70
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 7:40:24 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Guderian and Model Continue to have good success with there break through in the East and Guderian's 3rd Army is on the outskirts of Oujda.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FieldOfGlory -- 4/7/2013 7:44:07 AM >

Post #: 71
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 7:51:44 AM   
FieldOfGlory

There are a lot of opportunities for encirclements in the Center but Rommel needs to break free of the Muslim forces on his Southern flank to really take advantage.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 72
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 7:56:41 AM   
FieldOfGlory

The 1st Panzer Army has managed to take out some of Islamabad Armor with a counterattack and reinforced their Southern flank a bit. Also they now have fighter cover to guard against those nasty divebombers. More Muslim forces can be seen approaching from the South.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FieldOfGlory -- 4/7/2013 7:57:49 AM >

Post #: 73
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 8:01:55 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Casualty report for my August turn

Attachment (1)

Post #: 74
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 8:19:47 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Casualty report for AI's August turn

Attachment (1)

Post #: 75
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 9:01:20 AM   
FieldOfGlory

With possible exception of 1 all of those Armored unit that were lost on the AI side during there attack was on the 1st Panzer Army line. Rommel's line held strong despite being outnumbered and despite not being able to entrench in desert hexes.
As you can see what Rommel (who is a level 7 commander now) does have are experienced soldiers with high moral. Then there already high moral is boosted another 69% from Rommel's command bonus and all of Rommel's forces are receiving a hefty 138% combat bonus. They have become a force to be reckoned with and Rommel's legend continues to grow back home in Germany.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 76
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 9:57:19 AM   
FieldOfGlory

The Fuhrer has decided it is of great importance that a commander be place in Charge of the 1st Regional command center who can coordinate all of the Armies and operate as an overall commander of all combat operations on the German mainland.
"It was a tough decision" the Fuhrer told local German papers "But when I sat down with my staff and really hashed it out it became clear that the type of Leader we needed was someone who was a master strategist and had a firm understanding of Blitzkrieg tactics who could mentor field commanders in this fine art of war. One name rose to the top. Heinz Guderian!"
Guderian has been transferred to the regional command center and promoted to the rank of Field Marshal.

Note: Guderian has a training handcard now that is particular useful when used on subordinate HQ's under his command.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 77
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 10:09:23 AM   
FieldOfGlory

A trusted General who has been who has been making a great impression with the Fuhrer at OKW for sometime now has been chosen by the Fuhrer himself to take over command of the 3rd Army from Heinz Guderian.

Erik Von Manstein!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 78
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 7:49:34 PM   
Josh

Hmm you sure that's von Manstein? Looks like him but I have my doubts.

"...Yes the situation on Rommel's Southern flank is a little disturbing at the moment. Hopefully I can take out a few of those tanks in counterattacks. On the plus side I will be able to give Rommel's armor some air cover this turn. So far the Heavy Arty's have not been a major factor but Rommel's advance the last 2 or 3 turns have caught quiet a few of them off guard and destroyed them.

So have you had any experience with running AT guns with your armor? I am wondering if its worth a try and if it works out alright...."

Yeah thankfully the AI doesn't know yet how to handle tubes properly otherwise you'd be in serious trouble by now. Heavies can be extremely deadly for your unarmoured forces.
No I have no experience with AT guns in Tank units, never ever thought of it really, but it is a great idea IMHO. AT guns are tank killers for sure, and many times prevent a tank assault. So 2-4 guns in a Light Tank unit would make it a very powerful albeit a bit expensive unit as these guns need halftracks as well. What I have exp with is placing 5-10 Inf men in a tank unit to soak up Inf attacks and give at least some recon value... remember tank units are almost "blind" so they are ambushed easily.
The AI is showing typical AI behaviour in the desert. It's piling up it's forces till finally your dam breaks, there were many times in my games where I had to pull back locally because the AI outnumbered me there. The AI has a tendency to throw everything at you in a "human wave" sort of way, there's no reserves. So sometimes I pull back a few hexes, sometimes up to 10, the AI will follow you like a magnet, put up a line of defence just enough to hold the line, and go around his units if you can.

Post #: 79
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 8:30:26 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: FieldOfGlory

quote:

Good luck.

Yes the situation on Rommel's Southern flank is a little disturbing at the moment. Hopefully I can take out a few of those tanks in counterattacks. On the plus side I will be able to give Rommel's armor some air cover this turn. So far the Heavy Arty's have not been a major factor but Rommel's advance the last 2 or 3 turns have caught quiet a few of them off guard and destroyed them.

So have you had any experience with running AT guns with your armor? I am wondering if its worth a try and if it works out alright.

I research Tank Destroyers and run them with my halftrack Rifles. I do not put at with regular armor but then my infantry is half track mounted with the armor.

Post #: 80
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 9:44:36 PM   
FieldOfGlory

quote:

Hmm you sure that's von Manstein? Looks like him but I have my doubts.

"...Yes the situation on Rommel's Southern flank is a little disturbing at the moment. Hopefully I can take out a few of those tanks in counterattacks. On the plus side I will be able to give Rommel's armor some air cover this turn. So far the Heavy Arty's have not been a major factor but Rommel's advance the last 2 or 3 turns have caught quiet a few of them off guard and destroyed them.

So have you had any experience with running AT guns with your armor? I am wondering if its worth a try and if it works out alright...."

Yeah thankfully the AI doesn't know yet how to handle tubes properly otherwise you'd be in serious trouble by now. Heavies can be extremely deadly for your unarmoured forces.
No I have no experience with AT guns in Tank units, never ever thought of it really, but it is a great idea IMHO. AT guns are tank killers for sure, and many times prevent a tank assault. So 2-4 guns in a Light Tank unit would make it a very powerful albeit a bit expensive unit as these guns need halftracks as well. What I have exp with is placing 5-10 Inf men in a tank unit to soak up Inf attacks and give at least some recon value... remember tank units are almost "blind" so they are ambushed easily.
The AI is showing typical AI behaviour in the desert. It's piling up it's forces till finally your dam breaks, there were many times in my games where I had to pull back locally because the AI outnumbered me there. The AI has a tendency to throw everything at you in a "human wave" sort of way, there's no reserves. So sometimes I pull back a few hexes, sometimes up to 10, the AI will follow you like a magnet, put up a line of defence just enough to hold the line, and go around his units if you can.

You are correct. That is not Manstein. I pulled the picture from images of manstein and was trying to find an early image of him as he would have looked in the early 30's and found this one which was not marked correctly. I wasn't too sure of that photo myself but took it at face value as the real deal but when you mentioned it I looked at other sources for the origin of the photo. That photo is of Brauchitsch. Here is an actual photo of Manstein.

As far as adding AT guns to tank units I too am not so sure if I want to try it out since tanks cannot carry AT guns and halftracks would be needed. I may research Tank destroyers at some point and give them a go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FieldOfGlory -- 4/7/2013 9:45:45 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 81
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 9:48:46 PM   
Twotribes

You could always build medium tanks since light tank is not a tank killer.

Post #: 82
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/7/2013 11:44:28 PM   
british exil

Field you could always build a mech unit towing AT guns to keep up with your armour.

AT is a defensive weapon if I am correct, your armour is offensive. So they will not really work together. But having your armour and mech units in the same hex then if your armour gets attacked , your AT boys will be there to help out.

Pulling back a few hexes is also a possibility, armour pulling behind a defensive line of AT and MG will really cause havoc on the advancing enemy. It should be reduced so much that your armour can punch a hole through the weakened line and if possible make a pocket or cut of his supply lines.

By pulling your armour back and resting, you can build up supplies in oil, ready for the offensive. Always keep an eye on the oil gauge. Never run out of it. Otherwise your armour is toast.

If possible get your engineers out in the field and upgrade your raw and oil.

Have fun.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 83
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/8/2013 9:06:01 AM   
FieldOfGlory

September,
Model and Manstein continue there advance and begin besieging Oujha.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 84
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/8/2013 9:13:37 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Rommel's counterattacks dish out some serous damage to Islamabad Armor. With the success Model is having in the East Rommel will hopefully be able to begin advancing South again. Rommel has requested some Medium Armor regiments to help deal better with enemy Armor.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 85
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/8/2013 9:19:56 AM   
FieldOfGlory

German forces are beginning to pocket a large number of Muslim Divisions in and around Almar. Once the city is sealed off it should give the 1st Panzer Army enough relief to continue there drive South.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 86
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/8/2013 9:24:02 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Casualties for this Months turn. As you can see the desert in littered with Islamabad armor.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 87
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/8/2013 10:48:12 AM   
Vic

Nice read this aar :)

It would be nice to have some recon on whats happening on the other continent of your world.

best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Post #: 88
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/9/2013 11:32:15 PM   
FieldOfGlory

I'll be posting some more updates tonight. I'll include a brief look at developments on the other continent.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 89
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/10/2013 4:41:08 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Here's the strategic map.

I have been monitoring the progress on the other continent with a little interest for some time. The nations that share the continent went to war shortly after Islamabad attack me. The states is the power in Purple and have been pushing back Orleans Commune for some time.
This map gives you a great view at the Almar pocket in the center of Islamabad front as well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI