Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ANIME und MANGA thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: ANIME und MANGA thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/16/2020 5:37:06 PM   
LarryP

Did they give any reason for this ban?

I've got many issues with Amazon...

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 121
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/17/2020 4:11:18 AM   
Capt. Harlock

I can barely understand "How Not to Summon a Demon Lord" -- but "My Next Life as a Villainess"??

O.K., strike those last. It looks like they're back on Amazon Kindle and Comixology at least.

< Message edited by Capt. Harlock -- 7/17/2020 4:30:41 AM >

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 122
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/17/2020 7:18:42 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP
MODERATION: Clearly political. Please don't.

+1

I try not to do any business with Amazon, I would rather shop local where the businesses employ people in town and pay local taxes.

< Message edited by PipFromSlitherine -- 7/17/2020 7:21:13 PM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 123
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/17/2020 9:19:15 PM   
LarryP

Good idea!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 124
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/18/2020 3:11:19 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

I can barely understand "How Not to Summon a Demon Lord" -- but "My Next Life as a Villainess"??

O.K., strike those last. It looks like they're back on Amazon Kindle and Comixology at least.

I'll be damned, Amazon actually paid attention to feedback. Calling the bans "racist discrimination" must have been effective. Still some other titles (No game no life) are still out.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 125
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/18/2020 6:43:47 PM   
LarryP

We have a few Amazon Echo Dots in our home and they have a lot of words that are blocked. It won't even define them. If you use those words, it won't communicate at all. Clearly shows what Amazon is made of.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 126
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/18/2020 6:46:42 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: HunterICX

Anime you say?

When it comes to favorite movies for me it's hand down Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence movies as well cyberpunk being my favorite genre and they where very thought provoking when I was done watching.

Have you seen "Serial Experiments Lain"? Basically, it is cyberpunk seen through the lens of David Lynch. When it came out in 1998 a lot of people found it both stunning and confusing. Today you can see how it was decades ahead - with themes then popularised by "The Matrix". I have it and it is still one of my favourite anime ever.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to HunterICX)
Post #: 127
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/18/2020 7:33:24 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

We have a few Amazon Echo Dots in our home and they have a lot of words that are blocked. It won't even define them. If you use those words, it won't communicate at all. Clearly shows what Amazon is made of.

Even when they are turned off, they will still spy on you.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 128
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 9/3/2020 4:41:48 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have discovered couple more military manga.

Front Mission - Dog Life & Dog Style
Manga based on SNES wargame. This can't possibly be... And it's WAY more brutal than I dare to show around here! Manga is about Japanese news crew doing news on a new island that has appeared on the Pacific Ocean due eruption of underwater volcano. Divided between two super powers, tensions escalate and then all Hell breaks loose when missiles are fired and war is declared. Some of the scenes remind me about American movies about Vietnam War, dialed up a notch or 3. When they say war never changes...

Her Majesty's Swarm
I think this qualifies as a war story of fantasy variety, I guess... I have read the translated novels, and manga adaptation looks both good & accurate. They say a picture tells more than thousand words, so I just drop it here and leave it at that...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 9/3/2020 4:46:28 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 129
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 5/10/2021 4:52:05 PM   
Kuokkanen

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
This is a big one. Anime franchise that began in 1983 with latest release in 2011, Armored Trooper VOTOMS counts near hundred episodes total from around 20 minutes up to full hour per episode. The first series alone is a 52 episode marathon, which is followed by a number of shorter series and independent episodes. Common themes to all of them are scifi, mecha, and war. What stands out most is mecha known as Armored Trooper.

Armored Troopers are about size of Kuratas. Ugly but practical, Armored Trooper can carry and use a variety of weapon pods in its arms. Most of the weapons are oversized infantry firearms. Armored Trooper moves either by moving its legs, or with powered roller wheels at bottom of its feet (faster). In addition feet can have retractable picks for braking or heel-face turns. Other equipment can include:
Harpoon at end of a cable
Rocket engines for flight in low gravity
SCUBA gear
There are a number of different Armored Troopers. Anime don't go into detail of their differences, but some of them seem to be specialized for underwater environment, though others can be equipped for it. Overall Armored Troopers look like something that could realistically be made in very near future if governments (or Elon Musk) were willing to invest on it.
(We can debate about their practicality against tanks and ATGMs)

First anime series is outdated. Armored Troopers seemingly blow up and disappear with great balls of fire immediately after getting hit, and significant characters survive with a plot armor. Later anime are more reasonable with broken Armored Troopers left laying around in pieces and full of holes. Otherwise war is Hell, and protagonists angst with stress and PTSD. Though more gritty and realistic take on mecha genre with serious effort, it still isn't equivalent of Apocalypse Now nor Hammer's Slammers. Nevertheless I'm very pleased with this franchise and I highly recommend it to wargamers.

Most of the anime franchise is on HIDIVE. It is only missing Armor Hunter Mellowlink, which to my understanding has lost its master files, and is only available on VHS and in the high seas.
https://www.hidive.com/tv/armored-trooper-votoms

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 130
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 5/24/2021 9:47:22 PM   
gamer78

I've recently watched and like Castlevania in Netflix. I like character building. But Isaac character supposed to be in 'Sufism' not a Japanese Warrior monk(Sōhei) to do so much fighting. Apart from that very good dialogues.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 131
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 5/25/2021 8:57:44 PM   
ncc1701e

Anyone remembers Lisa Hayes?

Attachment (1)

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 132
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 5/26/2021 7:56:31 PM   
gamer78

"Corto Maltese: La maison dorée de Samarkand" I didn't read Corto Maltese books but in this anime Enver Pasha's cavalry charge against Bolsehik machine guns were very realistic.
Another one "Corto Maltese in Siberia" which was about Russian Civil War was quite good.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 133
RE: ANIME und MANGA thread - 7/25/2021 5:59:45 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have read 7 manga volumes of Marginal Operation. It's about Japanese man joining in to a private military security company. He ends up commanding a group of child soldiers in Tajikistan. Later on he & kids get separated from the rest of the company, and they end up forming a company of their own. Japanese has an idea of earning enough of money to get children out from warfare and into the school, but it proves to be easier said than done. Japanese & co have at their disposal equipment that track movement of individual units and displays it on a computer screen, something similar to Command Ops 2. Anyone else here read this? Can you tell how realistic it is? Was there some conflict in Tajikistan in the past 10 years?

[edit]
Manga is available at least over at Amazon, BookWalker, and J-Novel Club.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 7/25/2021 6:08:37 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 134
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: ANIME und MANGA thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI