Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fantasy Kommander - Eukarion Wars: World Map and Setting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [[Fantasy]] >> Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars >> Fantasy Kommander - Eukarion Wars: World Map and Setting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fantasy Kommander - Eukarion Wars: World Map and Setting - 9/10/2013 4:19:59 PM   
Philkian

Below you can read a nice note wrote by Fabio Belsanti (Associate Founder, Sole Directorand Lead Designerof P.M. Studios (www.pmstudios.it) and of Age of Games (www.ageofgames.net) , member the Development Team behind Fantasy Kommander - Eukairion Wars. Fabio was born in Italy, loves military and medieval history and wrote some articles about these topics.
The game will be soon available on our store and is a turn based wargame with a setting inspired by european fantasy and medieval tradition. Enjoy reading it!

"Here you can see the map that represents the world where you'll lead your armies to a brilliant victory or a bloody defeat.

First of all, I have to confess that I love maps. Any kind of maps, ancient, modern, futuristic, on paper or on the screen. When I see a map with borders, streets, cities, my imagination starts to fly and I become a traveller, a free adventurer or the conqueror of the world! Any kind of world/s! So basically I have to confess to be a megalomaniacal crazy kid... maybe like Alexander the Great and his illustrious colleagues in history? Mmmh, this is a question without an answer.

The map you see is the high-scale geopolitical map of the Eukarion continent in the year 800 A.D.

I suggest you to freely explore this map and start your journey in the fascinating, varied and complex world of Fantasy Kommander.

I designed this world using my knowledge about the medieval Europe and its fantasy narrative tradition (I'm graduated in military history after all ;).

Eukarion was born from a mix of real European medieval history and fantasy archetypes.

Comparing this map to Europe you will notice many geographical similarities.

In the centre of the map you can see a peninsula similar to Italy limited to the North from a chain of mountains akin to the Alps. To the east you can see a large mountain range that is similar to the Ural mountains. On the west you can see the “Iberian peninsula” with its Pyrenees mountains. Going north you'll see territories similar to France, Germany, the Scandinavian Peninsula and Great Britain. In the south you can recognize the Strait of Gibraltar, the Mediterranean Sea and two islands that are similar to North Africa. The geographical elements that are most different from our real world are the island of the supreme elves and the south-east. The first is completely invented (it's like the myth of Atlantis), the second (the south east) is a fusion of the Balkans, the Middle East and the Arabian Peninsula. Most rivers are modelled on the great rivers of Europe.

From a historical and political point of view Eukarion is like Medieval Europe inhabited by fantasy creatures and races like dragons, orcs, elves etc. On the historical level the background is overflowing with anachronisms. I mean , the fact that the map represents the continent in the 800 A.D., doesn't mean it's similar to the European political situation in that year. There's feudalism and a hierarchical society of nobility for sure, but the individual “states” on the map are designed with an anachronistic method. I will try to explain this better talking about single territorial entities on the map.

For example the biggest empire, Adamantia, is inspired to the Carolingian Empire (9th Century, Dark Ages), while the smaller Grand Duchy of the Seven Towns is inspired to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany during the Renaissance (15th-16th centuries). So we have different ages, from the same period that we call Middle Ages, that live together in the same background. For this reason you'll see characters with equipments from the Dark Ages (Viking axes for example) and early Renaissance (heavy plate armours). What you'll not see is what I consider “Fantasy Trash” like an Elven Ninja-Vampire in a gothic cathedral... for this kind of things we created the King's Island series and Defender of the Chicks, and if you want to laugh you should play these games and not Fantasy Kommander.

To all the crazy people that are curious to know more about the link I designed between real European history and Fantasy Kommander I give this simple list:

Empire of Adamantia: Carolingian Empire (9th Century)
Kingdom of Chifrans: Kingdom of the Franks (5th century) (the “beginning” of the Kingdom of France)
Kingdom of Dalenghen: Kingdom of England (10th century)
Kingdom of Numadir: Vikings (8th -9th centuries) (in our background they are more “civilized”)
Kingdom of Anapes: Kingdom of Asturias (8th Century) (the “beginning” of the Kingdom of Spain).
Ancient Empire of Izanthyb: Byzantine Empire (4-14th centuries)
Duchy of Malion: Duchy of Milan (14th century)
Republic of the Merchants: Republic of Venice (13th century)
Grand Duchy of the Seven Towns: Grand Duchy of Tuscany (16th century)
Avoneg Republic: Republic of Genoa (11th century)
Sacred Land of the Cross: The Papal State (6th century)
Sacred Principalities: Crusader States (12th-13th centuries)
Duchy of Irba: Kingdom of Sicily (13th century)
Emirates, Caliphate and Sultanate: Islamic Kingdoms (9th century)"

< Message edited by Philkian -- 9/10/2013 4:25:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Fantasy Kommander - Eukarion Wars: World Map and Se... - 9/10/2013 6:43:51 PM   
wodin

First lovely map.

Bit worried about the huge differences in tech thats going to be on the map from the 5th cent to the 16th!! Also the map might not make too much sense. i.e I'd imagine any nations near the Orc\Goblins etc would due to war be pretty poor and funded maybe by richer nations away from these borders , did you put much thought into he map and how it was formed over history and the sort of issues nations would have had? Next how come it's A.D?? Does this mean we have the Christian religion?

< Message edited by wodin -- 9/10/2013 6:45:11 PM >

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 2
RE: Fantasy Kommander - Eukarion Wars: World Map and Se... - 9/10/2013 7:31:43 PM   
FabioBelsanti

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

First lovely map.

Bit worried about the huge differences in tech thats going to be on the map from the 5th cent to the 16th!! Also the map might not make too much sense. i.e I'd imagine any nations near the Orc\Goblins etc would due to war be pretty poor and funded maybe by richer nations away from these borders , did you put much thought into he map and how it was formed over history and the sort of issues nations would have had? Next how come it's A.D?? Does this mean we have the Christian religion?

Hi

I'm glad you like the map :)

To be honest you can see a better version of it on AoG (with a full screen option), but I don't want to spam you with a link ;)

A great advantage in a Fantasy setting is that the designer is truly a God :)

But I perfectly understand your concerns about the plausibility of this setting (and World Map).

In a fantasy world like this one the "Suspension of disbelief" must work at any cost.

About Tech: from this point of view we're globally about in the XIII-XIV centuries (mainly because I'd like to use heavy armors).

Orcs, Trolls and Goblins are not only sworn enemies of Humans, elves and dwarves. Don't think at them like the orcs in the (great) Lord of the Rings.

They have laws and diplomacy and may fight as allied with human kingdoms.

About A.D. : In Fk we don't have literally the Christian Religion but a similar monotheistic religion ("Sacred Cross") and many others.

Fabio Belsanti
Managing Director & Lead Designer
P.M.Studios & Age of Games

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [[Fantasy]] >> Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars >> Fantasy Kommander - Eukarion Wars: World Map and Setting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI