Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Early Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Early Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 6:41:46 PM   
gexmex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yankee66

While the price being undisputably high, it's also damn fine piece of software for an audience that is still considered being a rather small niche market.

I started playing these strategical/tactical wargames back in the day with Harpoon II, which was followed up later by Fleet Command and then Dangerous Waters. Inbetween came the "land combat" simulations like "Armored Task Force or Close Combat.

As of late, I played more "Total War" than any hardcore simulation. So I consider myself a returner to the warsim-genre. Not a complete newbie, but someone who once learned the ropes a while back and became rusty.

So, my first impression after playing it for a couple dozen hours:

The performance is good and it seems to run rock-stable. I am playing it on a Win7, 64Bit with 16 Gigs of RAM and a GTX 570 and haven't run into any problems so far.

The tutorials work really well. The way they are executed makes you read a little and think a lot. They take you by the hand and explain the basic concepts of the game through hands-on experience, while being clear and concise.
For me, they worked so well that I only looked into the manual to find out what custom overlays and the 1/3rd rule are, and I can still hold my own in most scenarios. :)

The "flow" of the game is impressive. Especially when looking at some rather clunky interfaces of other hardcore wargame titles.
Nothing you can do in the sim seems "hidden", and overall I had no problems putting missions together for my Units, then have them execute manual movement and firing orders in an emergency situation, before giving control back to the AI. This makes reacting to new situations easier than I thought and cuts down on the micromanagement.

From what I've seen of the AI, it pulls off believable and challenging tactics without making me feel like it's "cheating". I need to see more of it in more hours of gameplay to make a more detailed assessment. But the fact that it seemed to react to my actions in an appropriate way, and also differently in similar sessions, makes me like it from the get-go.

Something I always love to do is starting the scenario editor. And I did so with "Command" after just 2 or 3 hours of gameplay. And I love it. Again, nothing seems hidden or hard to reach, the concept of Triggers, Events and Actions isn't hard to grasp. Not entirely easy for those without prior knowledge, but also not hard to understand.

I was able to put together a very small test scenario, containing a carrier with a custom contingent of planes, a Sub and some land-based targets on a custom overlay in under an hour. The hardest part, if you can call it that, was setting up the custom overlay for the first time. Your explanation in the manual is really good and works well. The second time went much smoother and faster. Custom overlays are fun! :D

The sounds are kind of ok, although generic, and not without crackling. But looking at how much a game like this generally needs sound – like a cow needing a bicycle – it's not a big drawback or an annoyance. And I am sure there will be sound mods soon.

To conclude my early impression:

If you want to get into wargames, get back into wargames or get a modern wargame that's worth playing and also shows a lot of potential – get "Command".

The price of admission is high, no sugarcoating that, and the learning curve, although lower than in most hardcore sims, is still high, but if this game manages to build a strong community, I am sure it will provide years of wargaming fun.

Thanks for your assessment Yankee! Definitely helpful in determining if/when to purchase.

(in reply to Yankee66)
Post #: 91
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 6:55:01 PM   
NefariousKoel

I'm let down with the UI. It's just incomplete IMO.

While there will be bugs & such on any release, it's the UI that's the most lacking. I'm fighting it to get to the info that I need, and looking for features in it that aren't there. The poor performance on my PCs also exacerbates the issue when you have to sort through menus and windows that should've been easily reached from the window you were originally in.

It needs some work in most areas, but most notably for UI features & ease-of-use.

(in reply to gexmex)
Post #: 92
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 7:02:11 PM   
Primarchx

Sounds like that may be an issue with your performance concern. I run an i7 2.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD and decent video card and have no performance issues. I'm actually surprised how elegant the UI is when it comes to running a complex battle situation. Could it be improved? Of course, and I expect there will be things that the player base will want that will come along in due time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

While there will be bugs & such on any release, it's the UI that's the most lacking. I'm fighting it to get to the info that I need, and looking for features in it that aren't there. The poor performance on my PCs also exacerbates the issue when you have to sort through menus and windows that should've been easily reached from the window you were originally in.

It needs some work in most areas, but most notably for UI features & ease-of-use.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 93
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 7:13:54 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Sounds like that may be an issue with your performance concern. I run an i7 2.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD and decent video card and have no performance issues. I'm actually surprised how elegant the UI is when it comes to running a complex battle situation. Could it be improved? Of course, and I expect there will be things that the player base will want that will come along in due time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Aside from performance issues, navigating some parts of the UI is a frustrating experience. I'm spending a lot of time opening and closing menus & windows, to get to info that should be a single-click away from the original screen I was looking at. JudgeDredd documented some of these examples.

Then I checked out the Formation Editor. It's an example of how the old aged Harpoon games have more UI features than Command does right now. I'm not even sure if we can have air patrols set up in the Form Editor - there is only three buttons in it and two relate to ship placement. I wasn't too crazed about the old UIs in H3/HCE either, but they had the tools and info within short reach that we needed.

These are the reasons I say the UI just isn't done. I'm fighting back & forth through the interface more than the OPFOR, and occasionally losing.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 94
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 7:28:39 PM   
thewood1

I was already informed and I think its in the manual. Air patrols are set up with reference points that are done relative to the main ship. It is a little less simple to do, but much more functional and solves several problems with H3's formation editor.

Some aspects of Command seem harder at first, but you finally start to see how it works, they have usually enhanced a feature.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 95
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 7:51:11 PM   
Primarchx

This. You set up air patrols as Missions. RPs can be slaved to groups in either fixed or relative bearing and missions tasked to them. Even better you can manually move the RPs around if you find you want to resize or reposition the mission. Takes a bit more work but is more flexible.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I was already informed and I think its in the manual. Air patrols are set up with reference points that are done relative to the main ship. It is a little less simple to do, but much more functional and solves several problems with H3's formation editor.

Some aspects of Command seem harder at first, but you finally start to see how it works, they have usually enhanced a feature.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 96
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 8:05:52 PM   
Temple

Just noticed that Erik has added a post with a printer friendly version of the manual for download by anyone. Very nice and much appreciated.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 97
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 10:54:54 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

This. You set up air patrols as Missions. RPs can be slaved to groups in either fixed or relative bearing and missions tasked to them. Even better you can manually move the RPs around if you find you want to resize or reposition the mission. Takes a bit more work but is more flexible.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Thanks guys. I know there is some functionality that I've just not figured out yet. This is very helpful.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 98
RE: Early Impressions - 9/26/2013 11:58:13 PM   
erichswafford

My 1st impressions: Stunned.

The game does everything they promised and then some. Runs smooth, no crashes, AI if friggin' awesome (especially the friendly AI) and it's pretty much the Ultimate Toybox for guys who are into this stuff.

It is definitely *way* easier to get into than Harpoon ever was. It's the culmination of a lot of little interface tweaks (such as the handy right-click menu or the way you can easily define an area for missions) that makes the difference. The mission editor is especially clear, when you consider just how complex the thing really is. And the database is the equivalent of every volume of Conway's, minus the pics (and I just downloaded those, thank you very much).

I'm still messing around with it, trying to find some issues, but I've got a 3-month-old at home (the price of marrying a much younger woman - try not to cry for me too hard lol) and that pretty much craters my spare time at the moment.

Oh, and this: Try as I might, I *cannot* get the little guy into this game. Maybe when he's, like, 6 months old? He certainly had an opinion about the DDG-1000: GWAAAG. WTF does that mean? Anyone?

(in reply to MAurelius)
Post #: 99
RE: Early Impressions - 9/27/2013 6:15:05 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

I witnessed a lot of work done on pathfinding and station-keeping to keep it as true as possible. I haven't seen a ship go aground yet, though in some very tricky coastal areas where pathfinding is extremely challenged you might see some funky formations. In these circumstances player intercession may be required.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

As long as ships don't run aground, I'll pick this up. Nothing worse than doing an Indonesia scenario in Harpoon and no matter how much you tweak a formation or routing, a ship or two will run aground. Some sort of order like "automatically stay in waters deep enough for the entire task force" would be nice.

Cheers,
CC

Thanks for the reply. I'll be getting this soon. Funky formations I can live with.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 100
RE: Early Impressions - 9/27/2013 6:40:46 AM   
Casinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cougar_DK

quote:

ORIGINAL: 21SEC

I do wish in the air tutorial that the starting location was a bit further from the enemy.

Spending some time today reading the manual. It definitely explains a lot of things. Can't wait to get home this evening and apply what I've read.

+1, I ignored the tutorial and launched a E-2 to get a picture before committing my F-14s. Bad plan

hah I did that one too once

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 101
RE: Early Impressions - 9/27/2013 9:38:18 PM   
Tomcat84

quote:

ORIGINAL: kondor999
He certainly had an opinion about the DDG-1000: GWAAAG. WTF does that mean? Anyone?

this made me lol

(in reply to erichswafford)
Post #: 102
RE: Early Impressions - 9/27/2013 11:43:46 PM   
Banquet

Having now played through the 3 tutorial missions I have to say I am really impressed with Command. Considering the jaw dropping amount of detail, it's actually pretty user friendly. I love games where I can micromanage if I want to, but hand off to the AI if I prefer. Command lets me do exactly that. It is great to assign an ASW mission to a frigate and watch the helo take off and begin patrols. Setting up missions like this is easy and scaleable for 1 helo or a whole fleet.

There's something about watching blips on a map and letting the imagination take over... 2 Tornados, hugging the terrain - hell for leather... will they get through the air defences? SAM! SAM INCOMING! FLARE, MANEUVER!! Just blips on a map, but it sucks me in big time!

With a database so vast, the entire planet as a potential battlefield and a level of realism and detail crafted to be as believable as possible - count me in on this one :)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banquet -- 9/27/2013 11:45:49 PM >

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 103
RE: Early Impressions - 9/28/2013 12:31:17 AM   
Primarchx

My thoughts exactly when I first fired up Command. Well said.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Having now played through the 3 tutorial missions I have to say I am really impressed with Command. Considering the jaw dropping amount of detail, it's actually pretty user friendly. I love games where I can micromanage if I want to, but hand off to the AI if I prefer. Command lets me do exactly that. It is great to assign an ASW mission to a frigate and watch the helo take off and begin patrols. Setting up missions like this is easy and scaleable for 1 helo or a whole fleet.

There's something about watching blips on a map and letting the imagination take over... 2 Tornados, hugging the terrain - hell for leather... will they get through the air defences? SAM! SAM INCOMING! FLARE, MANEUVER!! Just blips on a map, but it sucks me in big time!

With a database so vast, the entire planet as a potential battlefield and a level of realism and detail crafted to be as believable as possible - count me in on this one :)

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 104
RE: Early Impressions - 9/28/2013 2:52:47 AM   
FireForEffect

So I've never played anything like this before other than Naval War Arctic Circle, which was a let down. I tried to get into the Harpoon, Fleet Command, and GCBlue games but was unable to really enjoy them.

My impressions so far have been great! While obviously there is a real learning curve to get the most out of the game I was able to figure out the basics and start playing fairly easily. I bought the game for one reason and one reason only, to simulate the Royal Canadian Navy at war in the Arctic. The scenario editor let me get that accomplished in the first 30 minutes! Very excited about the easy to use scenario editor and getting to know the game better.

While I think the game would be more appealing more "casual" or "novice" players like with me with more sound/voices but the GUI is easy enough to use and the mission function is actually pretty easy to use as well. I do hope there is some interest in making the came a little more "exciting" as they've been able to do in the cinematic trailer! To anyone who is on the fence, or is intimidated by what looks like a very complex game, I suggest taking the plunge! The game is great and looks like it will only get better.

A few questions:

Is it possible to name individual ships in the editor? Instead of having 5x "DD HALIFAX" can I give them their actual names and hull numbers?
I'd like to simulate an ice free arctic that surface ships can travel through, is this possible?
Is it possible to set the time compression to slow back down automatically when attacks are made?

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 105
RE: Early Impressions - 9/28/2013 3:32:41 AM   
mikmykWS

You can rename ships. Just select the unit and press R. Fill in what you'd like the name to be in the text field.
Ice Free- Not yet but I'll add an item to our list of things to look at.
Yes. Go to Game->Game Options->Message Log and then raise a pop for any item you would like to. The popup stops the game and even gives you a button to zoom in to where the report came from.

(in reply to FireForEffect)
Post #: 106
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Early Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI