Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Updated DB image packs are available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Updated DB image packs are available! Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 12:38:49 PM   
stilesw

quote:

People work for free to get kudos and acclaim from a community

Just flatly not true. Believe it or not there are forum members who contribute to Command in an effort to improve the simulation WITHOUT looking for any sort of congratulatory input. Not everyone is cynical and self-serving about everything.

“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)

(in reply to kinsley51)
Post #: 691
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 12:54:50 PM   
kinsley51

Then they are stupid. Imagine improving a commercial product for free.

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 692
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 3:15:28 PM   
thewood1

Just winning friends and not influencing people.

(in reply to kinsley51)
Post #: 693
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 3:25:13 PM   
ultradave

Don't have to imagine. I've made a few small contributions myself. In a couple cases, found a couple DB errors (which did not affect play/performance, just description) and in others provided text description. Provided the fix/writeup and references to verify.

Every hear of beta testers for a small game company getting paid? Most only have an interest in helping deliver a better product.

If that was sarcasm, then never mind. If it wasn't, well, you just called a WHOLE BUNCH of people here stupid.

Welcome to the CMO forum. If you stick around, you'll find as I did that there are a large number of very knowledgeable people here who are happy to contribute what they know (for free). I've noticed that for many people who ask for and provide references for new platforms and weapons systems, that their motivation seems to be it's something they need or want to use in their own scenarios.

Almost every time I come here and read the forums I learn something new about either game play, or real life platforms and weapons systems. The game, and the forum, are gold mines of information.

When people do find errors or omissions, it's proper to add a note to either of the DB threads and describe what you want or want to correct, and provide whatever open source references you can find as documentation. Over the years, the developers have added thousands of entries into the database based on this crowd-sourced information. They are incredibly responsive to user requests.

Your complaint that people are stupid for improving a commercial product for free completely ignores the developers providing an astounding number of updates for free over the years that incorporate all this free work. So in a sense, we are all being paid back for the work that we've done to improve the game.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism of your tone, and jump in and become yet another valued contributor.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else here. May it be better than last year (it just HAS to be, right?)

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to kinsley51)
Post #: 694
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 3:26:23 PM   
CV60

quote:

Then they are stupid. Imagine improving a commercial product for free.

I think we can redesignate this contact from POSSTROLL to CERTTROLL

(in reply to kinsley51)
Post #: 695
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 3:38:36 PM   
kinsley51

CV60, maybe if you worked as hard as you snark the database wouldn't be such a shambles.

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 696
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 4:11:48 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kinsley51

CV60, maybe if you worked as hard as you snark the database wouldn't be such a shambles.

Uh-huh. How bout you go away now.

(in reply to kinsley51)
Post #: 697
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 4:12:53 PM   
ultradave

Oh, well. I tried to be nice. Carry on. Do whatever.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to kinsley51)
Post #: 698
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/2/2021 4:21:56 PM   
stilesw

quote:

I hope you take this as constructive criticism of your tone, and jump in and become yet another valued contributor.

Sadly, if history is a valid indicator, this will not occur. The negativism will continue and only end when forum members realize their is no point in furthering the conversation. It is similar to arguing with a not particularly adroit attorney - a legend in his own mind who always has to have the last word.

Fortunately, after the initial attacks there is little to no impact on the forum community of productive, involved and informed contributors. Just don't waste the time.

“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 699
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/6/2021 3:57:38 PM   
Dimitris

Updated image and description packs are now available on the WS downloads page!

All total almost 800 new images, plus 100 new description files.

The images can also be downloaded on-demand from within CMO (no manual action needed). If you wish to re-download images that you have already got (e.g. to update), delete all files in these folders:
[CMO]\DB\Images\DB3000
[CMO]\DB\Images\CWDB

The updated description files should be included in the next update release.

Big props for this new release to CV60 (overall coordinator), kgambit and Boogabooga.

(in reply to kinsley51)
Post #: 700
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/6/2021 8:02:01 PM   
mikkey

Thanks for update guys!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 701
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/7/2021 10:40:28 AM   
Parel803

thanks for the hard work. Best wishes for 2021

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 702
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/7/2021 11:35:39 AM   
Parel803

If I done stuff correctly, I hope i did. I got 13 Q's of overwriting by adding the DB3K. Loaded from blank dir the DB3K and added to it the DB3K LineDrawings. ac361, ac570, ac628, ac636, ac1103, ac1200, ac1201, ac1638, ac1911, ac2238, ac2291, ac2875, shp1902. When copying the Sec.Images got Q's on: ac149_t5 (from LineDrawings), Fac1977_t5 (from LineDrawings), Shp294, Shp443, Ship661, Shp803, Shp2345, Shp2374, Subm291_t5 (fromm LineDrawings).
Thx for the hard work on the images DB. If this message is an operator on on my side, I do apologize.
With regards GJ

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 703
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/7/2021 5:12:44 PM   
magi

you are the tops.....

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 704
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/7/2021 6:27:00 PM   
Blast33

Well done guys!

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 705
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/8/2021 12:40:30 AM   
CV60

Thank you very much for the comments. The team and I appreciate it

(in reply to Blast33)
Post #: 706
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/8/2021 1:05:38 AM   
JFS737

Hi guys,
I want to be sure I have this right. I can get all the great stuff from CV60's (Go SARA!) link to the database pictures by just deleting all the files in the directories
[CMO]\DB\Images\DB3000
[CMO]\DB\Images\CWDB
and letting the program download them on demand... OR...

I can download the big zip files for the databases photos and then unzip them to my
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\DB\Images folder (standard non Steam install)

Is this right? Either way works, there is a choice to do it as needed or all at once and they both will have the right photos?
Also, it seems the descriptions may come later or you can download and install them over the top as well?

Thanks for clearing this up for my pea-brain.
John

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 707
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/8/2021 1:17:08 AM   
CV60

quote:

Hi guys,
I want to be sure I have this right. I can get all the great stuff from CV60's (Go SARA!) link to the database pictures by just deleting all the files in the directories
[CMO]\DB\Images\DB3000
[CMO]\DB\Images\CWDB

I can download the big zip files for the databases photos and then unzip them to my
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\DB\Images folder (standard non Steam install)

Is this right? Either way works, there is a choice to do it as needed or all at once and they both will have the right photos?
Also, it seems the descriptions may come later or you can download and install them over the top as well?

John

Yep, you can either 1) download the image package 2) delete your current images and then 3) Install the newly downloaded images into your recently emptied images folder OR 1) delete your current images and let the game download them for you, with the order dependent on what is needed for your scenario you are playing. The description package is an identical process. For what it is worth, the description folder is small, so you can probably just as easily download it yourself. It is also hosted on the warfare sims page here: http://warfaresims.slitherine.com/DBImages/Descriptions.zip

One minor addendum: This isn't really my project: It is a team of people, all of whom are mentioned in the credit file that is included with the down load. Kgambit is particularly important to this project.

Were you on the SARATOGA? I was aboard her from 1985-88

(in reply to JFS737)
Post #: 708
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/8/2021 2:47:35 AM   
magi

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV60

quote:

Hi guys,
[CMO]\DB\Images\DB3000
[CMO]\DB\Images\CWDB

John

Yep, you can either 1) download the image package 2) delete your current images and then 3) Install the newly downloaded images into your recently emptied images folder OR 1) delete your current images and let the game download them for you, with the order dependent on what is needed for your scenario you are playing. The description package is an identical process. For what it is worth, the description folder is small, so you can probably just as easily download it yourself. It is also hosted on the warfare sims page here: http://warfaresims.slitherine.com/DBImages/Descriptions.zip

One minor addendum: This isn't really my project: It is a team of people, all of whom are mentioned in the credit file that is included with the down load. Kgambit is particularly important to this project.

Were you on the SARATOGA? I was aboard her from 1985-88

well.. thank you.. and god bless you all each and everyone....

< Message edited by magi -- 1/8/2021 3:57:28 AM >

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 709
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/8/2021 5:13:01 AM   
T Rav

Devs, Admins, Moderators, Volunteers, et. al.,

I don't post much. I can say this. This is likely (almost certainly) the best product of it's kind I've ever seen, bar none. And I've seen a lot. From DB to AI and everything in-between, well done. I truly use it all the time to get a better understanding of "how things work." Plus it's always to play, even when studying.

Trolls (a few entries above) will always be out there, but your work, experience and desire to keep things right is phenomenal and appreciated.

From an old warhorse,
Thank you
T Rav

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 710
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/8/2021 5:25:32 AM   
JFS737

Yes, did the last cruise back in 93/94 I think? Up to the Adriatic for that Bosnian debacle in the winter. Decom shortly after... plank owner and such.

Regards and thanks,
John

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 711
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/8/2021 11:16:36 AM   
CV60

quote:

Thank you. Speaking for the team, we appreciate your sentiments.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 712
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/9/2021 7:10:23 PM   
kgambit

quote:

quote:

Thank you. Speaking for the team, we appreciate your sentiments.

Seconded. Very much appreciated.

Also want to thank Lucas F. for his invaluable help in filling some gaps and upgrading some entries from Brazil. Thanks again Lucas.

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 713
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 1/10/2021 1:51:38 PM   
Parel803

Not important at all but visited the Saratoga on a friendly invitation in (I think) in 84 when see was moored in Norfolk. Very Impressive when you only sailed on frigates and submarines. Thank to the guy who invited us. They had the food we had the beer :-) Shared both

(in reply to kgambit)
Post #: 714
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 3/15/2021 6:21:47 PM   
serjames

Thanks as ever to the team for the updates - Makes playing the game so much more interactive !

Trying to download the three manual files from here : https://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876

Seem to be a problem accessing the files - I can normally grab them fine. Anyone else having issues ?

Edit to add: seems that Chrome is blocking the DL ? Version 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Edit 2: seems Chrome has changed the way they handle these files. I did get it to work BUT ONLY by selecting "Save link as" and then ignoring the security message and selecing "KEEP" instead of "DISCARD" the download then started normally. Hope it helps

< Message edited by serjames -- 3/15/2021 6:27:19 PM >

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 715
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 4/12/2021 5:48:02 AM   
boogabooga

I grabbed a public domain image of USS Constitution off of Wikipedia, because it is begging for a DB image!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to serjames)
Post #: 716
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 4/13/2021 1:36:07 PM   
SunlitZelkova

Hello,

There is an issue with the images for DBID #266 Octoberskaya Revolutsia and DBID #502 Gangut.

The Octoberskaya Revolutsia currently has the image of the real life Gangut class Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya. The Octoberskata Revolutsia in the game is not the real life modernized Gangut class battleship, but actually the cancelled Project 24 class battleship, which was a modern battleship in the same league as the Iowa class. Unfortunately there aren't any good concept images of the Project 24, but a line drawing of it to replace the current image is attached. If line drawings aren't accepted, I suggest removing the current image for DBID #266 as it is inaccurate and misleading.

The Gangut in the game currently has the image in its World War I configuration, which is fairly out of date for the version in the game. The current image being used for DBID #266 is actually a modernized Gangut battleship, so that image can be changed to serve as a more accurate one for DBID #502.

Thank you to everyone who helps in creating the image and description packs.

Attachment (1)

Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 717
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 5/1/2021 1:50:12 PM   
maverick3320

Is it possible to manually add unit/weapon pictures? I find myself constantly using the pictures in game as a quick reference when sorting through a lot of units to figure out which is which.

(in reply to SunlitZelkova)
Post #: 718
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 5/1/2021 4:10:35 PM   
CV60

quote:

Is it possible to manually add unit/weapon pictures? I find myself constantly using the pictures in game as a quick reference when sorting through a lot of units to figure out which is which.

You can always add your own photos. Simply put them in the DB/Images/CWDB or DB/Images/DB3000 folder. However, if you do so, they may be overwritten when we release new image updates, so I would also put them in a folder elsewhere on your hard drive so you can easily re-install them.

(in reply to maverick3320)
Post #: 719
RE: Updated DB image packs are available! - 5/3/2021 8:30:27 PM   
maverick3320

quote:

quote:

You can always add your own photos. Simply put them in the DB/Images/CWDB or DB/Images/DB3000 folder. However, if you do so, they may be overwritten when we release new image updates, so I would also put them in a folder elsewhere on your hard drive so you can easily re-install them.

To clarify: you're saying that if I manually add a picture to a unit that currently has none, and you put out an update, my user-added pic will only be "overwritten" if you add a picture to the same unit? Or will it (your update) overwrite the entire database and I will lose my user added photos? Basically what I'm trying to avoid is going through the work of adding a bunch of pics for units that currently have none and then losing all that work if the new update overwrites the whole database and the units I added pictures for go back to not having a picture at all.

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Updated DB image packs are available! Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI