Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Requested Features and Ideas >> RE: The Wish List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 12:44:28 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Waz

Great game. I've seen a lot of good ideas above and for my inaugural post I have a simple suggestion.

Please give us a Hold Fire order of some sort.

It makes me crazy to see a scout section open fire at 2 km and expose their position when often the smartest thing to do is lie low, watch, and report. The order could be cancelled if they are approached by an enemy, maybe a chance to fire as a function of their training level and the distance to the enemy.

Welcome to the insanity!

What posture do you have your scouts in when they open fire? I have the exact opposite occur. When I get in a situation where the recon should open fire on an enemy unit they back away.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Waz)
Post #: 61
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 12:46:31 PM   
wodin

This is where an ambush order will come in handy..hold fire wouldn't work due to the length of the turns..but an ambush command where you can set the distance you want the unit to fire from would be cool. hough if your unit is shot at first the ambush command should be overruled.

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/24/2013 12:49:18 PM >

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 62
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 12:47:24 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

76mm..are covered arcs right for this scale? 500m hex and platoon size units? I'd like an ambush order though. However not sure covered arcs are necessary.

I think so. I was a tank platoon leader in Germany in the late eighties, and as a basic part of any defensive planning platoons were assigned sectors, which are basically the same as covered arcs.

An ambush order needs some mechanism to be implemented such as a trigger range, and a covered arc is basically just a graphical representation of a trigger range.

Or maybe I'm missing something, dunno...

Sounds good to me.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 63
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 12:48:35 PM   
Hexagon

Improve the tactical ops centre diary to see better info with a colour legend (red for combat, green for reinforcements etc etc)... and maybe add a serie of filters like in other wargames where you can filter messages by combat report, movement report, reinforcement report...

Something i think could improve how show info about units, now you have the readiness/ammo/morale levels in the actual turn, well why not add the previous levels??? i refer show something like

"75%/70% Ammo" to show a reduction of 5% in ammo, other way to show it could be add reduction/improve, something like "70%-5% ammo", a way to notice better how combat degrade the units value.

Oooo i notice now the damage units (well, in manual dont appear as damage) but i cant see them directry in the unit rooster... is possible create a diferent splash image to see what is a destroyed unit and what is a damage unit???

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 10/24/2013 12:53:12 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 64
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 12:50:20 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Improve the tactical ops centre diary to see better info with a colour legend (red for combat, green for reinforcements etc etc)... and maybe add a serie of filters like in other wargames where you can filter messages by combat report, movement report, reinforcement report...

Something i think could improve how show info about units, now you have the readiness/ammo/morale levels in the actual turn, well why not add the previous levels??? i refer show something like

"75%/70% Ammo" to show a reduction of 5% in ammo, other way to show it could be add reduction/improve, something like "70%-5% ammo".

Why?

What value would it add to know what my ammo supply was 30 minutes ago? I personally only want to know what my units current status is.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 10/24/2013 12:53:00 PM >

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 65
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 12:53:28 PM   
Hexagon

Because i want control the reduction in combat value and i cant remember the ammo levels readiness and morale levels in all units... if you see an unit that lose 25% in morale in 10-20 minutes you notice that something is wrong in this deadly square, is only mantein the levels from previous turn, nothing more.

Oooo something i dont remember say, when you finish the battle the save option is disabled, is possible activate it to leave us save the battle when is over??? thanks.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 10/24/2013 12:56:36 PM >

Post #: 66
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 12:54:12 PM   
Ron

Lots of good ideas here which echo some of my thoughts after playing heavily the last few days. The UI is definitely old school with all the clicking looking for info, CRTL/Shift commands, no mousewheel etc., and needs a rational rethink imo, though likely not going to happen. At a minimum editable commands would be a godsend. As mentioned more functionality for the waypoints, in fact implementing some form of SOPs ala TacOps, ie stances, engagement ranges to name a couple, to work with the existing structure would be very welcome. It has been a very long time since I played TacOps but it got a lot of things right in that regard.

More importantly, more scenarios to play! :)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 67
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 2:35:14 PM   
Monkie

1) Editable hot keys, so we can have one key press for LOS, etc
2) Winter maps with snow conditions
3) New combatant formations. US Reserve and National guard, East German, Hungarian etc etc.
4) New combatant's such as Japanese and USMC units for conventional fighting in Northern Japan (Hokkaido) vs Soviet.
5) reduce the time of the artillery visual effect and highlight the hex which is being fired upon.
6) Highlight units to show which HQ is commanding which unit.

thanks for considering and listening to all of our opinions.

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 68
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 3:06:38 PM   
wodin

Small one this...

An Aftermath report at the end of the scenario..telling you how the War went after your battle and how your incompetence impacted the rest of the War..have a different one for each of the Victory\Defeat Levels..just abit of fun. I enjoy reading the aftermath reports in the scenario description as if the War happened..so this is a take on this but this time taking into account how well you did..

(in reply to Monkie)
Post #: 69
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 4:03:23 PM   
Hexagon

I dont know if somebody say this... why not add in the waypoints the ETA??? is a way to see when units arrive and do easier find what waypoint you need edit to coordinate better movements.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 70
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 5:35:00 PM   
Waz

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

This is where an ambush order will come in handy..hold fire wouldn't work due to the length of the turns..but an ambush command where you can set the distance you want the unit to fire from would be cool. hough if your unit is shot at first the ambush command should be overruled.

I don't recall. I know they were in a beautiful spot to watch the valley below for a long ways in good weather. Sure as hell, the enemy recon appears in the distance and *woosh* TOW's and 25mm fire from my scouts. Me = head beating on desktop! Shortly afterwards the scouts got creamed by marauding Mi-24's.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 71
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 5:48:06 PM   
SteveD64

Round (circular) counters for the Air Units/Heliocopters and their HQ's to make finding them easier.

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 10/24/2013 6:03:28 PM >

(in reply to Waz)
Post #: 72
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 9:28:57 PM   
wodin

When we get the message Air search radar located at...can we then be shown the actual located unit? WOuld be greta if you could click the message and it took you o the hex\counter the message was about.
When we are told a HQ maybe at Loc""..Can we then be shown the hex by highlighting it, plus some sort of ?HQ counter.
At the end of a turn cycle can we be show a brief rundown on what happened..just the important stuff like Possible located HQ's, Radar location, Casualties and Kills? Also make sure the info has hyperlinks to take you o the particular unit or hex.

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 73
RE: The Wish List - 10/24/2013 10:18:13 PM   
wodin

Contaminated Units to have a radiation symbol top right of counter.

As mentioned in my Strike First thread..I'd like to see Civilian casualty modeled through some sort of abstract coding i.e it goes up if you bombard towns or Cities and goes up higher depending on weapons used..once it gets to a certain point and beyond you start to loose VP's. Maybe for say Vietnam games this could then effect the War in general and the Campaign due to protests at home..something to think about and would add another layer to the game...obviously in this sort of War that wouldn't be an issue..but in other engagements i would be great if it was modeled somehow, like Vietnam.

Be able to manually set the pref stand off range.

Would also like to be told when a unit has defeated a missile by using a counter measure and what counter measure it was. Could be shown same way as the combat hints. Things like this show the player the detail and depth of the game. Plus adds to the narrative. Being old what weapon\s is being fired is something else I'd like to see aswell..and what weapon killed\took out a unit.

I haven't seen any vehicles pop smoke as a defensive measure..I'd have though if a unit with this ability had just taken a casualty or two it would pop smoke and back off? Would again like to be told " "pops smoke..in a combat hint. So we know it was your unit and not an Arty smoke bombardment. Also I'd have the smoke less obstructing than Arty Smoke rounds as Obviously it wouldn't be that hick and cover 500m.

Would like to see vehicles destroyed give off smoke aswell..I imagine all those tanks burning would end up creating a pretty thick smoky atmosphere?

Similar to the counter measure wish. Would like to know when a unit detects it's being tracked by a Laser if they know using the LWR same wih RWR..sgsin told hrough combat hints.

GSR and AGSR to be implemented;) see I read the manual;)

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/25/2013 12:59:52 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 74
RE: The Wish List - 10/25/2013 9:47:36 AM   
jubriqueno

Maybe impossible, but would be cool to see on TOC the type of weapons who causes every unit loss/fallen out.....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 75
RE: The Wish List - 10/25/2013 2:00:56 PM   
MikeAP

Double click on a HQ unit selects all subordinate units

Post #: 76
RE: The Wish List - 10/25/2013 3:32:32 PM   
benpark

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeAP

Double click on a HQ unit selects all subordinate units

Or at least highlights them in some way. I use the OOB tab for the selection of subordinate units, but a graphic representation on map always helps.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to MikeAP)
Post #: 77
RE: The Wish List - 10/25/2013 6:58:22 PM   
nukkxx5058

Would be nice to have a detailed reports on man killed not only vehicles. Tanks personal, infantry, etc. Ideally, minimizing human losses should even be part of score system.

< Message edited by nukkxx -- 10/25/2013 8:56:07 PM >

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 78
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 2:57:00 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Would be nice to have a detailed reports on man killed not only vehicles. Tanks personal, infantry, etc. Ideally, minimizing human losses should even be part of score system.

Not during WW3 I feel.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 79
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 3:00:35 PM   
nukkxx5058

Well, minimizing human losses is the top priority in all modern conflicts. This is for obvious political reasons.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 80
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 3:26:20 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

Well, minimizing human losses is the top priority in all modern conflicts. This is for obvious political reasons.

That's generally not true. What is generally true is that limiting civilian casualties is a top priority for one side in the conflict. The side where the fighting is actually taking place. In other words, it's a high priority for West German's and not a priority at all to the Soviets.

Good Hunting

MR

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 81
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 4:04:14 PM   
KenPortner

A LOS tool that allows you to click on one hex, click on the second hex and see a line between the two telling you the distance and whether the LOS is clear. I know you can see what can be seen from a hex by clicking on it, but it's a bit cumbersome the way it is.

(in reply to Elfastball7)
Post #: 82
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 5:27:38 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

That's generally not true. What is generally true is that limiting civilian casualties is a top priority for one side in the conflict. The side where the fighting is actually taking place. In other words, it's a high priority for West German's and not a priority at all to the Soviets.

Good Hunting

MR

Yes but I was not talking about civilian losses but military personal. ie. Soldiers.

Initial message >>
quote:

Post #: 83
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 6:39:37 PM   
Hexagon

Maybe you can create an unit called "civilians" and use it in special units... i remember in a Tiller title the use of "straggles" units for Berezina scen. They could be like motorized infantry but with or less mobility or with a higher value to block an hex.

Is possible made action stop when an unit suffer casualties (or suffer a delay etc etc) and only continue if you click??? i refer to an option to stop action when something is noticed over the map and only continue when you left click, this permit use fast action for movements.

Other thing is made the autoscroll to action more soft, now it hurts when map jump so rough.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 84
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 10:21:34 PM   
wodin

nukxx..WW3 would have been a war where soldier casualties would always be expected to be extremely high..it's not a War where it would be a huge issue at home..now Civilian casualties of course is different. Also the fear of Soldier casualties is a relatively new thing..not something that was a concern during the eighties.

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/26/2013 10:24:45 PM >

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 85
RE: The Wish List - 10/26/2013 11:20:20 PM   
GloriousRuse

Or even desert storm's planning phase...at least one battalion commander informed his battalion that 8/10 of them were expected to be ineffective by the end of the first 3 days of the planned attack. Which seems high, but apparently even the staff planners were laying in 15-20% casualty rates as likely. The "preserve the troops at all costs" phenomenon is a result of Western nations proving they could win near bloodless victories against inferior regular forces, increasing public expectations of troop preservation. This has been combined with the need to minimize the political impact of casualties over long low intensity conflicts.

However, for campaigns like WWIII, preserving combat power is important - individual human lives are much less so.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 86
RE: The Wish List - 10/27/2013 2:10:19 AM   
Werezak

I would have to agree with the requests for mixed orders/programmable waypoints. I think of it as being able to queue orders to a unit, with possible delays in between.

This could become complicated enough that you may want to add another tab to the TOC for purpose of managing all of your units planned orders. Perhaps this would make coordinating unit actions easier.

< Message edited by dholedays -- 10/27/2013 3:23:09 AM >

(in reply to GloriousRuse)
Post #: 87
RE: The Wish List - 10/27/2013 7:12:42 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

nukxx..WW3 would have been a war where soldier casualties would always be expected to be extremely high..it's not a War where it would be a huge issue at home..now Civilian casualties of course is different. Also the fear of Soldier casualties is a relatively new thing..not something that was a concern during the eighties.

You are talking about this WP v NATO conflict in Germany (what you call WW3) and maybe it would have been lethal for military personal. I don't know, nobody knows in fact ... Look at the Soviet Union vs Afghanistan conflict. It was not very lethal for Russians. 15.000 military deads vs. 1.000.000 civilians.

But the game can (and I hope will) also be used for other modern actual or hypothetical conflicts and the trend now is to limit military losses (they have drones and they even developing robots). Look at the war in Iraq: couple of thousand dead soldiers and hundreds of thousand dead civilians. This is the reality of modern conflicts. Not an hypothetical scenario.

So what I said is that it would be great if the game could reflect this (sad) reality.

Anyway so far we don't know how many dead soldiers we have and I think it would be great to have this statistic in the final score card. Same for civilians.

< Message edited by nukkxx -- 10/27/2013 7:19:31 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 88
RE: The Wish List - 10/27/2013 1:44:40 PM   
wodin

Obviously in another theater this should be an issue..I mentioned it and civilian casualties further up. In this game though the public would be far more worried about a Nuclear attack than soldiers being killed.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 89
RE: The Wish List - 10/27/2013 3:10:37 PM   
Radagy

While on the Reinforcements Tab, instead of reporting the arrival time related to the start of the scenario, I wish I could read the arrival time rtelated to the current time.
I mean, if a unit is arriving in 60 minutes i want to read T+60 and not T+158 or whatever...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Requested Features and Ideas >> RE: The Wish List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI