Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is Solitaire play fun?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Is Solitaire play fun? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is Solitaire play fun? - 11/10/2013 4:21:16 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: goulash

grim Reaper, I am not a board game player per say and am totally new to WIF rules etc but I did buy the game last night and I can tell you this much

1. Yes there is a next button to flick you from unit to unit
2. The ui gives messages etc when your move is illegal so it will be easier on the noob like myself.
3. It appears that you will get a core set of units that never change per game and then you get other units that are different.
4. In some cases e.g. setting up convoys etc into position, you can if you want select pre-sets or do them manually yourself or even make your own preset set up and save it for another game etc.
5. Standard pre-sets are for the core units only and do not deploy the other units you are given.

The videos give a great overview, I think they should have placed them on youtube myself or linked them for download so players can see what they can expect. Some are like 40 mins long though. I do not think a HOI 3 player will struggle too much getting into this game myself as I am feeling comfy with much of the terminology.

I am really looking forward to things such as weather surprises etc as that is.

I will be honest with you, this game looks a beast and I am really hoping a lot of people start to get into it enough that a community of players grows and grows online.

Hope this helps and if your still on the edge, request more gameplay vids etc so you can be tipped over . I was weaker minded and after 2hrs doing a bit of searching and deciding, I just caved in and got merely due to the apparent complexity of it and that others have stated, solitaire play is quite a valid way to play.

Thank you, I appreciate the detailed response. Right now, sitting on the fence for this one. If I were to purchase it would only be for solitaire and future games against the AI so it is important for me to be comfortable with the solitaire aspect right now. This is a very good thread for that purpose.

(in reply to goulash)
Post #: 31
RE: Is Solitaire play fun? - 11/10/2013 4:47:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Can someone explain - if playing solo, do you control all countries? I mean apart from the majors - are minors like Denmark, Greece, etc represented? If so, it must take an absoluate age, playing solo, going through every unit of every country on every turn?

And to add to this question....I am assuming there must be a feature within the game that allows you to move to the next counter that has not performed any actions yet, is that a correct assumption? If not, how do you efficiently go to every counter and ensure you have taken action?

Yes, there are Next/Prev arrow buttons for moving units. Those are primarily useful during the land and naval movement phases.

Depending on the Action type you have taken (land, naval, air, combined, pass) you will be able to move some, but not all, of your units in an impulse (there are multiple impulses in a turn). Take a land action and all your land units can move, some of your air units, but none of your naval units. A combined lets you do a limited number of each. The importance of this is that if you are only allowed to move 5 land units, you won't be going through them all; you'll move the 5 that are most important, and ignore the rest.

For moving air units, the program creates a dynamic Selectable Units list/form. It shows all the units that are eligible to move in that phase. Sometimes there are only 3 or 4, sometimes there are 15 - 20. The program identifies those which can move and displays them in a list on the side of the screen for easy access. This avoids having to search all over the map for which air units can move and negates the need to click on the Next/Prev arrow buttons.

During land and naval moves there are dozens of units capable of moving, so the Selectable Units form doesn't appear.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 32
RE: Is Solitaire play fun? - 11/10/2013 5:03:26 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Can someone explain - if playing solo, do you control all countries? I mean apart from the majors - are minors like Denmark, Greece, etc represented? If so, it must take an absoluate age, playing solo, going through every unit of every country on every turn?

And to add to this question....I am assuming there must be a feature within the game that allows you to move to the next counter that has not performed any actions yet, is that a correct assumption? If not, how do you efficiently go to every counter and ensure you have taken action?

Yes, there are Next/Prev arrow buttons for moving units. Those are primarily useful during the land and naval movement phases.

Depending on the Action type you have taken (land, naval, air, combined, pass) you will be able to move some, but not all, of your units in an impulse (there are multiple impulses in a turn). Take a land action and all your land units can move, some of your air units, but none of your naval units. A combined lets you do a limited number of each. The importance of this is that if you are only allowed to move 5 land units, you won't be going through them all; you'll move the 5 that are most important, and ignore the rest.

For moving air units, the program creates a dynamic Selectable Units list/form. It shows all the units that are eligible to move in that phase. Sometimes there are only 3 or 4, sometimes there are 15 - 20. The program identifies those which can move and displays them in a list on the side of the screen for easy access. This avoids having to search all over the map for which air units can move and negates the need to click on the Next/Prev arrow buttons.

During land and naval moves there are dozens of units capable of moving, so the Selectable Units form doesn't appear.

Sounds really nice

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 33
RE: Is Solitaire play fun? - 11/10/2013 8:50:00 PM   
Banquet

I have to say I love the look of the game, the board game graphics are very nice and whenever I look at screenshots I just about talk myself into buying this. But, much as the graphics remind me of my youth playing boardgames like Third Reich and ASL, I also remember having to play solo and, although it's a valid way to play, I'm can't quite decide whether it would be cool to do that again, or just daft. I know a lot of AI's aren't too bright, but if you roleplay around their faults at least they can give you a challenge and catch you off guard now and again.

I'm sure this is an entirely different game to HOI3 but everytime I nearly buy this, I tell myself to play HOI3 instead. It has detail down to divisional level, a more detailed map (UK has more 'zones' in HOI3 than hexes in CWIF) and HOI3 has an AI that has it's moments too.

Can someone advise how many turns are in the Grand Campaign and how long a turn takes to play?

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 34
RE: Is Solitaire play fun? - 11/11/2013 12:19:27 AM   
Grotius

There are 30-40 turns in "Global War", depending on how long the war goes -- each turn is two months of the war. But the turns are further divided into "impulses", the number of which vary depending on the weather and other factors. An impulse is kind of like a turn in other games. In the grand campaign, it takes me 20-30 minutes to do one full impulse solitaire, playing all six powers. So for a turn with 8 or 9 impulses, we're talking 2 to 3-plus hours for one two-month turn. I imagine experienced players could play quicker.

HOI is great, but it just doesn't scratch the wargaming itch for me. The real-time thing bugs me too much. I much prefer the turn-based gameplay of MWIF. I also feel like decisions in MWIF are more interesting and more frequent. As for an AI, I kinda prefer solitaire play myself, but I understand why some people prefer an AI.

< Message edited by Grotius -- 11/11/2013 1:20:11 AM >

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 35
RE: Is Solitaire play fun? - 11/11/2013 12:47:07 AM   
bairdlander2

So with no PBEM a player would have to wait maybe 15 minutes for the other player to make their move?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 36
RE: Is Solitaire play fun? - 11/11/2013 1:26:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

So with no PBEM a player would have to wait maybe 15 minutes for the other player to make their move?

In NetPlay, as your opponent moves his units, you see them move immediately on your computer (less than a second delay). That will keep your interest.

For naval moves you usually have the opportunity to intercept enemy units moving through sea areas where you have combat units (naval or air). In those cases you are asked whether you want to intercept or not.

Air movement phases bounce back and forth between players. The attacker moves his bombers to target hexes. The defender sends up interceptors. The attacker sends up interceptors to intercept the defensive interceptors. If there is an air-to-air combat, then both players are involved in resolving attacks (A on D and D on A). Anti-aircraft fire has decisions by both sides too. Lastly, when the air attack on the land or sea goes in, both sides see the results form.

My point here is that World in Flames was designed to be played with both players actively participating throughout the phase/impulse/turn. It doesn't have all those long wait periods while one player dozes off waiting for his opponent to move.

Now I'm not saying that doesn't happen from time to time. But it's more a function of the players involved than the game itself. "Do I want to move this armor unit here? Or not? Maybe I should also add a mechanized unit as part of the attack. Or not. Let me think about this some more." A quick glance at his opponent:

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Is Solitaire play fun? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI