Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artifacts......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Artifacts...... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artifacts...... - 1/21/2003 10:03:00 PM   
Scorpiuscat

How do you guys manage your artifacts? meaning..Do you save any of them (ones that give ships advantages) or do you use them right away?

I realize that instant repair and such are used on an as needed basis and the others that are used in worlds are used there, but is there an tatical advantage to having all artifacts on one ship or should they be saved and spread out as your fleet builds?
Post #: 1
Artifacts - 1/21/2003 10:14:23 PM   
EricLarsen

Scorpiuscat,
It looks like you took the plunge already and bought the game? Artifacts are lots of fun to fool with. I never let the automation run my artifacts as it sometimes wastes them at dubious times and circumstances.

Basically always bring your artifacts home to your homeworld and drop them off. I find the instant shields, generators, and computers should be used on worlds where the upgrade of machinery isn't automatic as in ships. The 100% combat experience I like to save for when I build cruisers and then wham they're 100% combat capable. I picked up several instant population (these are the ones you don't want automatically abused) artifacts and they sure are great at making instant populations on new colonies. I like the invincible shields for my worlds rather than my ships as you never know when they may come under attack.

I always use the lightning and storm dissapators as soon as I get them as they can come in useful taking out those pesky sentinels. I never leave artifacts on ships as you never know when you may send one into danger and lose them. I picked up an instant colony artifact that a alien gunboat was carrying that was raiding one of my systems and I intercepted and blew up the gunboat.

I even drop off the planet killer artifact on my homeworld and leave it there until I decide to use it. Sometimes all I do is deny the enemy the use of certain artifacts by leaving them at home. I never use fighters or bolts or such but I put those aces at home where they won't help my enemies. :D
Eric Larsen

(in reply to Scorpiuscat)
Post #: 2
- 1/22/2003 8:54:07 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Actually, the world governors do automatically update machinery. They just take a little more time in doing it, as they want their population to also put in some research effort.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

Post #: 3
- 1/23/2003 10:17:24 AM   
zaz

Yeah, I never worry about upgrading planet facilities. I just make sure the production level is boosted by building those nano factories and get a starbase ASAP to ensure ship upgrades don't interupt my production and research.

Post #: 4
- 1/24/2003 8:40:00 PM   
Flyingcursor

What about artifacts that effect your whole race.
When should they be used?
For example, if a ship just found an artifact that gives your race a 25% production bonus, can you use it right away or do you have to drop it off on a world first?

Oh. I finally picked up the retail yesterday. I've only managed to get 170 years played so far.

I started with a 150 star galaxy. I was thinking of starting again with a 50 star but then again I'll never get past the easter egg hunt stage if I keep starting over.

Here's another question. How many years do most players average before moving to another age?

Post #: 5
Artifacts - 1/25/2003 10:37:36 PM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by Flyingcursor
[B]What about artifacts that effect your whole race.
When should they be used?
For example, if a ship just found an artifact that gives your race a 25% production bonus, can you use it right away or do you have to drop it off on a world first?

I started with a 150 star galaxy. I was thinking of starting again with a 50 star but then again I'll never get past the easter egg hunt stage if I keep starting over.

Here's another question. How many years do most players average before moving to another age? [/B]

Flyingcursor,
I haven't found that 25% production bonus for your race yet, that's a nifty one. I would assume you need to take it to a world and drop it off so you can activate it on a world. Since it's not something that benefits ships I doubt you could activate it on a ship.

Better to start small and get a feel for the game system and try out different aspects of manual control.

It seems like it's about 200 years or so for me. If I'm lucky and have adequate wisdom artifacts. If you do a good job of building world infrastructures you can get into the upper ages a bit quicker since you're not hampered with the production/research dilemma so much. I always go for researching the labs and research facilities and build one on each world.
Eric Larsen

Post #: 6
Advanced research artifacts - 2/3/2003 11:29:05 PM   
EricLarsen

The light finally came on about how to use advanced research artifacts. I had actually thought they were some kind of research booster like wisdom artifacts but have finally figured out how to use them. They only work when you're researching an advanced weapon so you have to be careful to start an advanced weapon research project and then go to your world where you keep them and then activate one so it instantly finishes that research. To think of all the games and all the advanced research artifacts I've wasted. :confused:
Eric Larsen

Post #: 7
- 2/4/2003 5:47:33 AM   
juliet7bravo

I didn't know that either...

Post #: 8
Oops - 2/4/2003 10:21:55 PM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by juliet7bravo
[B]I didn't know that either... [/B]

juliet7bravo,
I had a game near completion and I decided to test out my theory about advanced research artifacts. I had the advanced radiation wave already set to go so I tried that but could not get any of my advanced research artifacts to whiten up to use. I tried several advanced weapon and armor techs and then finally I saw that my stockpile of them on sol was gone. I then watched as each time I set up an advanced weapon or armor to research that it would use up one advanced research artifact on another world where I had them. When the number of advanced research artifacts was easy to see it was easy to finally see that these are used automatically and no manual manipulation is required.:p
Eric Larsen

Post #: 9
- 2/6/2003 3:43:23 AM   
LordGek

Hey Eric,

I don't think the Advanced Artifacts work quite like what you said. If you have any Advanced Artifacts on any of your worlds than you will be given the option to pursue advanced weapons or armor projects BUT once you take on one of these projects an Advanced Artifact is used up. Once you have no more Advanced Artifacts no more advanced projects will be offered. At no point do you need to actively access anything to use these artifacts, just have them on one of your worlds.

Post #: 10
I know that - 2/7/2003 10:29:19 PM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by LordGek
[B]I don't think the Advanced Artifacts work quite like what you said. If you have any Advanced Artifacts on any of your worlds than you will be given the option to pursue advanced weapons or armor projects BUT once you take on one of these projects an Advanced Artifact is used up. Once you have no more Advanced Artifacts no more advanced projects will be offered. At no point do you need to actively access anything to use these artifacts, just have them on one of your worlds. [/B]

LordGek,
Geez, didn't you read my last post? I figured out exactly how they work and detailed it but you seemed to have missed that small salient point. Thanks for the tip but next time read things more carefully.
Eric Larsen

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Artifacts...... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI