Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: netplay issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> RE: netplay issue Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: netplay issue - 11/19/2013 8:36:01 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hattrick1

Hi,

I registered for net play 2 days ago and had no issues,I saw the player database and figured everything was good.

Now I can see the player database but after a short time with it up I get an error. This error then forces me to log in again. Also when I try to respond to another players posts, I type a reply and then hit seeking opponent reply and I get another error.

This is all with version 1.03, also its not documenting the bug reports because my report is still dated November 14th.

Windows 7

Can you give me a fixed set of things to do to create the error(s)? I have tested a bunch of stuff, different combinations of doing this or that in the forum with everything working. But there is clearly something still amiss if you can get started in the forum and then later run into trouble.

If I can reproduce it, I can fix it. Otherwise I am just wandering around aimlessly.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to JR5555)
Post #: 31
RE: netplay issue - 11/19/2013 9:17:05 PM   
Patrick31

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

If I can reproduce it, I can fix it. Otherwise I am just wandering around aimlessly.

eager to help as much as I can. let me know if there is something I can do.
I already send many bug reports caused by netplay (through the WIF bug report process).

I'm ready to test anything else as long as you tell me what to test ??
sorry my IT skills are quite limited.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 32
RE: netplay issue - 11/19/2013 9:35:10 PM   
JR5555

quote:

quote:

Hi,

I registered for net play 2 days ago and had no issues,I saw the player database and figured everything was good.

Now I can see the player database but after a short time with it up I get an error. This error then forces me to log in again. Also when I try to respond to another players posts, I type a reply and then hit seeking opponent reply and I get another error.

This is all with version 1.03, also its not documenting the bug reports because my report is still dated November 14th.

Windows 7

Can you give me a fixed set of things to do to create the error(s)? I have tested a bunch of stuff, different combinations of doing this or that in the forum with everything working. But there is clearly something still amiss if you can get started in the forum and then later run into trouble.

I had it typed out then got timed out, so I sent it through by e-mail. it has an attachment with the screenshot of the bug error report.

Post #: 33
RE: netplay issue - 11/19/2013 10:04:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi,

Windows 7

I had it typed out then got timed out, so I sent it through by e-mail. it has an attachment with the screenshot of the bug error report.

Got it, thanks.

What I need to see is the second tab of the bug report: Call Stack. That tells me where in the code the program failed.

Can you somehow capture the whole Bug Report and send that to me? There is a lot of technical stuff included in the bug report that's sometimes useful when fault isolating the problem. I think there is a option to send it or to save it (?), or to write it out to disk(?).

Steve

(in reply to JR5555)
Post #: 34
RE: netplay issue - 11/19/2013 10:06:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIFinToulouse

quote:

eager to help as much as I can. let me know if there is something I can do.
I already send many bug reports caused by netplay (through the WIF bug report process).

I'm ready to test anything else as long as you tell me what to test ??
sorry my IT skills are quite limited.

What name does your email use? I just need the first name to be able to tie your posts here to the MadExcept errors we receive. The emails don;t show your forum name so it's difficult for me to know what's from whom.

Steve

(in reply to Patrick31)
Post #: 35
RE: netplay issue - 11/19/2013 10:14:18 PM   
Patrick31

look at an email address with Madrid inside ....madrid @ gmail.com

we lived a couple of years in Madrid and never changed the email address again !

< Message edited by WIFinToulouse -- 11/19/2013 11:15:02 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 12:19:55 AM   
JR5555

[/quote]
Got it, thanks.

What I need to see is the second tab of the bug report: Call Stack. That tells me where in the code the program failed.

Can you somehow capture the whole Bug Report and send that to me? There is a lot of technical stuff included in the bug report that's sometimes useful when fault isolating the problem. I think there is a option to send it or to save it (?), or to write it out to disk(?).
[/quote]

Its sent, now if I sign up for a G-mail account I can send the bug report directly too you, correct?

I cant save it, I can only send it from what I could see.

< Message edited by hattrick1 -- 11/20/2013 3:49:19 AM >

Post #: 37
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 2:14:01 AM   
Zorachus99

quote:

Got it, thanks.

Its sent, now if I sign up for a G-mail account I can send the bug report directly too you, correct?

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Gmail-Account

I cant save it, I can only send it from what I could see.

No Gmail will not fix the problem.

You need an email client program like Outlook, or Mozilla Thunderbird connected up to whatever email account you have.

< Message edited by Zorachus99 -- 11/20/2013 3:14:50 AM >

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to JR5555)
Post #: 38
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 2:48:43 AM   
JR5555

[/quote]
No Gmail will not fix the problem.

You need an email client program like Outlook, or Mozilla Thunderbird connected up to whatever email account you have.
[/quote]

GOT IT.. Thank you!

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 39
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 2:49:43 AM   
gw15

Shannon - I tried to send the bug report but it doesn't recognize my email account. When I click on "Seeking opponent - Reply". I receive this notice:
"The connection to the NetPlay Forum was lost. You need to Exit Forum and reenter."
I see players with postings, I see players currently on-line.
Can't send messages though.
Refeshes okay.
But the second I click on the Seeking opponent-reply it knocks me off-line.

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 40
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 2:59:52 AM   
gw15

Shannon - I can see the error detail on a window and there is a tab labeled as "call stacks". but I do not know how to capture a picture. Heck, it won't let me right-click and copy anything in that window.
the first line:
address- 50035AD1
rel. - +75
module - rtl140.bpl
unit - Sysutils
function - RaiseLastOS Erroe
second line:
all the same except:
address 5035A55
rel. - +05

I don't know if that helps. I'll have to get my IT people at work to show me how to capture picture of a window.
I'll send tomorrow night.

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 41
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 4:57:14 AM   
delatbabel

I can't get a game started with Netplay.

I can log into the forums and see the on line player list including myself. Periodically (every few minutes after I log in) a message pops up saying "The connection to the NetPlay Forum was lost. You need to Exit Forum and reenter." along with another "an error occurred in the application." box. It also starts my mail client to send a bug report, which I have done once.

If I start a game then it allows my opponent to connect to the game. I can start the first setup phase and he sees the start of that phase along with a few of my moves, but eventually the connection is lost and when I end the phases (USA and USSR setup) it tells me that Italy setup has commenced but nothing is shown at my opponent's end. Eventually after a short time there is another pair of crash windows and the game exits.

--
Del

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 42
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 4:58:04 AM   
delatbabel

Has anyone gotten this working, at all?

--
Del

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 43
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 7:27:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

Have you installed the latest update (1.0.3)? That version should fix the problem you are describing: only one player seeing the game start, while the non-originator of the game sees nothing.

Steve

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 44
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 7:31:23 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

quote:

Have you installed the latest update (1.0.3)? That version should fix the problem you are describing: only one player seeing the game start, while the non-originator of the game sees nothing.

We are both running 1.0.3

--
Del

Post #: 45
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 9:24:30 AM   
6079SmithW

If I open the Netplay forum and do nothing. MWIF crashes about 2 and 1/2 minutes later. It throws a MadExcept and windows simultaneously displays an Outlook Warning that a program is attempting to send an email (I think this is a standard security feature of Windows). Is the failed attempt to send an email causing the MadExcept, or is the MadExcept trying to send an email? Note that my input after logging into NetPlay is zero at this point. The MadExcept indicates a system error 5: access denied. Exception class is EOSError.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 46
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 10:35:51 AM   
Cunki

1 no, had the error message since my very first attempt (shortly after game installation) version 1.0.3

2 started a new game, version 1.0.3 confirmed

3 Windows 7 (edition familiale premium) / SP 1

4 I am really without guess!

Best Regards
Semaeon

(in reply to Marvin Pontiac)
Post #: 47
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 1:15:40 PM   
gw15

I'm having the exact same problem as delatbabel described (he did a much better job of describing the problem than I did).
I'm also running Win 7.

(in reply to Cunki)
Post #: 48
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 5:02:52 PM   
JR5555

I sent in two bug reports yesterday about these netplay issues. I sent them using the WIF bug report software, 1 titled net play issues2 and the first one I think was just titled bug report.

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 49
RE: netplay issue - 11/20/2013 5:08:58 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

We have a strong possibility for why some players are unable to connect to the Seeking Opponents database, which the Slitherine technical people are currently testing. That could also explain why some players cannot start new NetPlay games. We want to fix both of these ASAP.

Steve

(in reply to JR5555)
Post #: 50
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 2:15:45 AM   
excaliburman

Any movement on these netplay bugs?

I was the other player in delatbabel's query, and besides being keen to get a netplay game underway, am wondering if anyone has the game up and running on netplay yet?

Excaliburman

Post #: 51
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 2:44:22 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: excaliburman

Any movement on these netplay bugs?

I was the other player in delatbabel's query, and besides being keen to get a netplay game underway, am wondering if anyone has the game up and running on netplay yet?

No movement. I sent off another query today. In the meantime, we should have version 1.0.4 available for this weekend. But I don't know if the changes therein are going to solve the problem you encountered.

The sad truth is that when I can't reproduce a problem, I have a lot of trouble fixing it.

Version 1.0.4 should fix a handful of other NetPlay problems.

Steve

(in reply to excaliburman)
Post #: 52
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 2:57:39 AM   
excaliburman

but is anyone actually playing this game successfully using netplay?

Post #: 53
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 3:34:51 AM   
6079SmithW

I still get kicked out of the Netplay forum after 2.5 minutes. I haven't tried this (I'm at work at the moment and have only just thought of this), but has anyone who is experiencing the problem tried launching the game in safe mode? If the Netplay problem didn't occur in that situation, then it would at least tell us if a service is responsible or not.

I spent a good hour the other night progressively shutting individual services down, to see if they affected the connection, but without positive result.

Is the problem affecting people in all geographical locations? eg are those in the US affected, or only those further away? That might indicate a network timeout issue.

This problem did not exist with the Beta version on my computer, only the release version.

I will have a bit more of a play with it this evening. Might run wireshark over the connection to see what the packets are doing.

(in reply to excaliburman)
Post #: 54
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 3:38:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: 6079SmithW

I still get kicked out of the Netplay forum after 2.5 minutes. I haven't tried this (I'm at work at the moment and have only just thought of this), but has anyone who is experiencing the problem tried launching the game in safe mode? If the Netplay problem didn't occur in that situation, then it would at least tell us if a service is responsible or not.

I spent a good hour the other night progressively shutting individual services down, to see if they affected the connection, but without positive result.

Is the problem affecting people in all geographical locations? eg are those in the US affected, or only those further away? That might indicate a network timeout issue.

This problem did not exist with the Beta version on my computer, only the release version.

I will have a bit more of a play with it this evening. Might run wireshark over the connection to see what the packets are doing.

There is nothing wrong with your system. I have modified the code to fix this problem for version 1.0.4. Which we are trying to make available for this weekend.

Steve

(in reply to 6079SmithW)
Post #: 55
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 3:41:08 AM   
6079SmithW

Super.

< Message edited by 6079SmithW -- 11/22/2013 4:41:44 AM >

Post #: 56
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 2:00:10 PM   
gw15

Yes, thanks Shannon!
Last night I tried shutting down my firewalls and any other possible net obstruction but none of those worked.
I'm running IE 9 and I made sure the cookie was turned on. Had no affect.
So I'm looking forward to 1.04 so I can try a game with someone.

(in reply to 6079SmithW)
Post #: 57
RE: netplay issue - 11/22/2013 11:07:44 PM   
delatbabel

I am in Australia as is Excaliburman if that provides any useful input. I'm guessing my latency to the forums (fora?) is ~ 300ms. That's not usually an issue when I'm logged into regular web forums.

Just wait until I get out into the Pacific and have to rely on satellite internet. I guess it's going to be too slow to play any game over, latency is around 2-3 seconds to most sites.

--
Del

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 58
RE: netplay issue - 11/23/2013 1:09:06 AM   
Zorachus99

Yay!!!

We all love STEVE!

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 59
RE: netplay issue - 11/23/2013 1:16:47 AM   
Zorachus99

quote:

I am in Australia as is Excaliburman if that provides any useful input. I'm guessing my latency to the forums (fora?) is ~ 300ms. That's not usually an issue when I'm logged into regular web forums.

Just wait until I get out into the Pacific and have to rely on satellite internet. I guess it's going to be too slow to play any game over, latency is around 2-3 seconds to most sites.

For those of you out there, 300ms is .3 sec.

Steve will have to add error handling code to a large degree for the TCP/IP connectivity issues. The built-in TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) procedures are not well designed for intelligent error recovery. It is particularly poorly suited for packet timeouts. Vista+ have good network stacks to handle packet timeouts, but XP can average 30 seconds timeout activity for lost packets.

YMMV

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> RE: netplay issue Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI