Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moving stacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Moving stacks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 11:16:14 AM   
Manstein63

Is there anyway that you can move a stack of units, I can't seem to find a way to do it so it must be something simple
Manstein63
Post #: 1
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 11:53:27 AM   
LeeChard

Use the 'flyout' and click the units you want to move.

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 12:43:55 PM   
Manstein63

Thanks will give it ago tonight
Manstein63

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 2:04:21 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Crtl - Left Click also but I don't find it always works and seems you need some finesse or something.

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 2:42:19 PM   
michaelbaldur

double click to select all

but look in the manual for all mouse and keyboard hot keys

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 3:30:51 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manstein63

Is there anyway that you can move a stack of units, I can't seem to find a way to do it so it must be something simple
Manstein63

Hi Manstein63

Couple of hints, normally the most infantry or armor units you would have in a land hex is three if you are using the optional rule "Divisions" the flyout works well but I really dont see the need of moving a stack of infantry or armor together but thats just me, just as easy and maybe more prudent to move them one at a time. Usually only two land units in a stack not counting aircraft which cannot move until one of the air phases.

Now naval movement is another story. Moving 20 ships in a stack one at a time, not nice

The screen below depicts Japanese naval units in Rabaul a major Japanese base in the Pacific. There are 32 units in Rabual, mostly naval ships. By double left clicking on a sea area near Rabaul the naval review detail form appears as shown. You can move the cursor to any port or sea area and see what Japanese units are there. There is a filter that can also show allied forces in those areas.

But for this demo I am going to select and put the cursor over Rabaul which has 32 units in it but not all ships, some aircraft and ground units also. There may be another way but what I have to do is I right click the hex that Rabaul is in and that locks the the form with all the units in it so that I can now go over to that form and selct any units that I want to move. I have selected two carriers the Cv Soryu and the Cv Soryu, you must then slide them off of that form, before you click off the form, to move them to their destination.

I could have selected one ship, ten ships, or every ship in port that can travel together and are not disorganized. I know I am always showing screens and such, but if I did not I would have trouble understanding myself

Another hint>If you want to also see different units in a hex or change their position in a hex try using [Alt. left click] this will change the positions of units in the hex you are selecting to examine. Of course you can always right click on a unit in a hex then select "next unit" but in stacks over three [mostly naval] that could be a little hectic.

Why do that, when you come to the gound attack or ground support phase you might want to bring all of your aircraft, fighters and bombers to the top of the stack to make sure you do not miss one of them to use in the attack. Of course there is a popup on the left side of the screen showing eligible units that can participate in the attacks.

Another reason to have the aircraft on top is because during the air rebase phase you might not notice that one of your fighter wings is one hex too far away to be used in a defensive sortie against enemy bombers in several critical hexes, and you used up your alloted air-rebase moves with other moves that might not be as critical as that one. Just a thought

Bo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 11/26/2013 6:12:51 PM >

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 6
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 5:37:49 PM   
Centuur

What you can also do to select from a large stack of naval units the ones you want to move is to press CTRL left click on the port. A form than pops up, from which you can select what units to move (only remember to unclick the submarines, since those can't move together with the fleet...).

Peter

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 7
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 5:59:34 PM   
Dabrion

Does the NRD allow you to do selections?! Not for me, its just a review. Ctrl+<click> is better suited to emulate the missing concept of task forces.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 8
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 6:32:31 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Does the NRD allow you to do selections?! Not for me, its just a review. Ctrl+<click> is better suited to emulate the missing concept of task forces.

The thing that's missing from the NRD form documentation is that you can 'lock' it by doing a right click on a hex (port or sea area section box). That will bring up the unit menu, but you just ignore the menu. Then you can select units from the NRD form.

So:
1 - Double left click on an empty all sea hex to bring up the NRD form.
2 - Right click on the port or sea area section box from which you want to move naval units.
3 - Ignore the popup unit menu.
4 - Select whichever units you want from the NRD form.
5 - When you move the cursor outside the NRD form, the units will be "in hand". That's the same way the Flyouts work.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 9
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 6:37:11 PM   
bo

quote:

I would apprecaite it if you did not confuse the poster asking the question, I do not mind you helping but get your facts straight first, the NRD allows you to do selections it is not just a review please understand whats going on before you make a statement like that, if you do not want to use the NRD then fine that is up to you. Also Manstein read Steves post above.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/26/2013 9:13:59 PM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 10
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 7:44:24 PM   
wolf14455

Got a question about limited moves when using combined action. Moving a stack of ships and droping ships off count as 1 move/action, will it be the same for ground unit and air unit stack move? Reading vol 1 now so I guess I found the answer soon but if its true this could be a reason why a player want to move a stack aswell.

SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 11
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 7:47:05 PM   
Dabrion

I know about the " 'lock' it by doing a right click" thing (feature?), it has been mentioned a couple of times. Would be nice to have it analog to the <ctrl+H> dialog, which can be locked using <space>.

I just checked and you can indeed use the NRD to select units. The selection is hard to see initially, so you might want to use the status view. Then do not close the the NRD, but move the mouse out of the NRD window. You will then have the selected units in hand.

I stand by my point that you will want to select ships by range and movement most of the time, and that can be done using the <ctrl>+click selection dialog with the filters. What are your needs when selecting naval units that you like the NRD better, Bo?

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 12
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 7:47:06 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf

Got a question about limited moves when using combined action. Moving a stack of ships and droping ships off count as 1 move/action, will it be the same for ground unit and air unit stack move? Reading vol 1 now so I guess I found the answer soon but if its true this could be a reason why a player want to move a stack aswell.

If you drop off naval units in a sea zone and continue moving with others, it counts as an extra naval move.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/26/2013 8:48:07 PM >

Paul

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 13
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 8:48:24 PM   
bo

quote:

I know about the " 'lock' it by doing a right click" thing (feature?), it has been mentioned a couple of times. Would be nice to have it analog to the <ctrl+H> dialog, which can be locked using <space>.

I just checked and you can indeed use the NRD to select units. The selection is hard to see initially, so you might want to use the status view. Then do not close the the NRD, but move the mouse out of the NRD window. You will then have the selected units in hand.

I stand by my point that you will want to select ships by range and movement most of the time, and that can be done using the <ctrl>+click selection dialog with the filters. What are your needs when selecting naval units that you like the NRD better, Bo?

I have used it since I started beta testing 2 years ago and I am very comfortable with it, it is a matter of preferance for me plain and simple. My comment to you was really about do not confuse the poster. If you had gone to the trouble of sending a picture to the post trying to help a person who does not know how to move a stack I would have backed off and respected your opinion, not everyone knows the game like you do and sometimes a picture is worth the trouble..

I have no problem with your other suggestion but why didnt you show him that with a screen of what you are talking about. Then let him decide what his preference might be. Either way I just want him to be able to move the stacks he was asking about, I really dont care what system he uses.

Bo

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 14
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 8:55:35 PM   
wolf14455

On page 23 in vol. 1 under euro Axis it say in brackets the following " (all SUBs leaving the same port counts as 1 naval move even if they sail into different sea areas). "
Is that just for subs then?

SwedeWolf

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 15
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 9:06:51 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

On page 23 in vol. 1 under euro Axis it say in brackets the following " (all SUBs leaving the same port counts as 1 naval move even if they sail into different sea areas). "
Is that just for subs then?

Yes.

While neutral, each naval unit (including subs) count as one naval move.

Steve

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 16
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 9:14:45 PM   
wolf14455

Naval unit stack or just each unit?

SwedeWolf

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 17
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 9:28:26 PM   
Dabrion

While neutral each unit (each piece, counter) counts as one move. Each task force (units sharing same destination and route) count as one move.

You "unit stack" would be a task force, that would cost one naval move as active MP, and as many naval move as units are in the stack as a neutral MP.

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 18
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 9:32:37 PM   
wolf14455

So how do I inteprite the txt about the subs cost one 1 movepoint even thou they end up in different sea zones. Wrong print?
Mind you guys Im swedish so I might just dont get your explenation thoroghly. sorry for that.

SwedeWolf

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 19
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 9:46:26 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

So how do I inteprite the txt about the subs cost one 1 movepoint even thou they end up in different sea zones. Wrong print?
Mind you guys Im swedish so I might just dont get your explenation thoroghly. sorry for that.

There are two possible states for a major power:

Neutral: each naval unit counts as a naval move. Subs are treated the same as other naval units.

OR

At war with another major power:
(a) each stack of non-sub naval units starting and stopping together as a stack counts as a naval move;
(b) subs moving from the same port (or sea area section box) counts as a naval move, even if they move to different destinations.

Steve

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 20
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 9:47:36 PM   
Dabrion

Mentally prepend "surface-" to all mentioning of naval unit and task force in the above.

* For SCS TC it is always one naval move for 1-point to 1-point moves (port-sea, sea-port, port-port or concatenations thereof). If active, you pay per task force; if neutral, you pay per SCS.

* For SUB TC it is always one naval move for 1-point to many-points moves. If active, you can move all German submarines from Kiel (one start point) to where ever you want them to be individually (many destinations), for just one naval move. If neutral it is still like for SCS (one naval move per SUB). (This allows German BoaA with a Combined).

I don't want to p&c too much of the the rules here, I think it is quite clear if you read 11.4.1 slowly over and over and... until it sinks in ;) gl

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 21
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 9:54:57 PM   
wolf14455

Slowly sink in hehe, well it will. Gonna play this game for a long time.
Thank you very much Shannon for clearing it out. Much apreciated. Thanx as well to you Dabrion, both for your clarification as well but especially your sarcastic humor. we got that in Swedens west coast too. Like it alot. Danke.
cheers

SwedeWolf

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 22
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 10:09:34 PM   
Manstein63

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

Manstein63

Hi Manstein63

Couple of hints, normally the most infantry or armor units you would have in a land hex is three if you are using the optional rule "Divisions" the flyout works well but I really dont see the need of moving a stack of infantry or armor together but thats just me, just as easy and maybe more prudent to move them one at a time. Usually only two land units in a stack not counting aircraft which cannot move until one of the air phases.

Now naval movement is another story. Moving 20 ships in a stack one at a time, not nice

The screen below depicts Japanese naval units in Rabaul a major Japanese base in the Pacific. There are 32 units in Rabual, mostly naval ships. By double left clicking on a sea area near Rabaul the naval review detail form appears as shown. You can move the cursor to any port or sea area and see what Japanese units are there. There is a filter that can also show allied forces in those areas.

But for this demo I am going to select and put the cursor over Rabaul which has 32 units in it but not all ships, some aircraft and ground units also. There may be another way but what I have to do is I right click the hex that Rabaul is in and that locks the the form with all the units in it so that I can now go over to that form and selct any units that I want to move. I have selected two carriers the Cv Soryu and the Cv Soryu, you must then slide them off of that form, before you click off the form, to move them to their destination.

I could have selected one ship, ten ships, or every ship in port that can travel together and are not disorganized. I know I am always showing screens and such, but if I did not I would have trouble understanding myself

Another hint>If you want to also see different units in a hex or change their position in a hex try using [Alt. left click] this will change the positions of units in the hex you are selecting to examine. Of course you can always right click on a unit in a hex then select "next unit" but in stacks over three [mostly naval] that could be a little hectic.

Why do that, when you come to the gound attack or ground support phase you might want to bring all of your aircraft, fighters and bombers to the top of the stack to make sure you do not miss one of them to use in the attack. Of course there is a popup on the left side of the screen showing eligible units that can participate in the attacks.

Another reason to have the aircraft on top is because during the air rebase phase you might not notice that one of your fighter wings is one hex too far away to be used in a defensive sortie against enemy bombers in several critical hexes, and you used up your alloted air-rebase moves with other moves that might not be as critical as that one. Just a thought

Bo

Thank you Bo a very suscinct reply. I was of course referring to Naval movement rather than land movement I will try this out & see how easy it will be to do. I would also like to thank Steve for taking the time to answer as well as everyone else that made suggestions Very much appreciated.
Manstein63

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 23
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 10:23:42 PM   
bo

I felt that you meant naval too but I posted both just in case.

Manstein let me know how you made out with that post answer, do you know I had to look up that word "suscinct" I was almost afraid to see the meaning of it with some of the goings on lately , thank you, appreciate the compliment.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/26/2013 11:26:41 PM >

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 24
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 10:38:58 PM   
Manstein63

Tried moving a stack of ships from Taranto I just get a big white x on the counters and I can't put them into a sea box but if I choose an individual ship it will allow me to move the unit to the sea box it is raining in Italy will that make a difference
Manstein63

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 25
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 10:41:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Tried moving a stack of ships from Taranto I just get a big white x on the counters and I can't put them into a sea box but if I choose an individual ship it will allow me to move the unit to the sea box it is raining in Italy will that make a difference
Manstein63

warspite1

Is Italy still neutral? If so that is why you can only move one ship.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 26
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 10:47:59 PM   
Manstein63

quote:

Manstein let me know how you made out with that post answer, do you know I had to look up that word "suscinct" I was almost afraid to see the meaning of it with some of the goings on lately , thank you, appreciate the compliment.

Bo

Yes I am now able to pick up a stack of naval units but as I said in my last post for some reason I can't seem to get them placed into a sea box. I would post a picture but I am unsure how to with Windows 7 I will try another countries Naval units & see if that makes a difference. Just had a thought. Italy is at peace can their capital ships move? also just in case someone suggests it I am not playing with the oil rule.
Manstein63

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 27
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 10:53:54 PM   
Manstein63

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Manstein63

warspite1

Is Italy still neutral? If so that is why you can only move one ship.

Its been 20 odd years since I have played this game & I still haven't got round to reading the rules for the PC version so I am bound to be a bit rusty but thank you Warspite1 your response makes sense & I had just reached that same conclusion myself.
Manstein63

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 11:02:35 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

Bo

Yes I am now able to pick up a stack of naval units but as I said in my last post for some reason I can't seem to get them placed into a sea box. I would post a picture but I am unsure how to with Windows 7 I will try another countries Naval units & see if that makes a difference. Just had a thought. Italy is at peace can their capital ships move? also just in case someone suggests it I am not playing with the oil rule.
Manstein63

Italy can only use combine or pass while she is neutral, with combine she can only move one ship, not a one group of ships, just one ship.

I am very puzzeled by the first part of your question. Okay you pick up the ships from whatever port you are in [naval move I hope] and you go to a sea box, and what happens then? Are you within range according to the movement and sea area movement factors?

Posting a picture, I have windows XP maybe its different. Do "print screen" then go to paint and use control V [use the control button and the letter V] Then do "save as" use JPG, name the file and where you want to send it, I send it to my documents under pictures. On the forums do new post, click upload files, embed picture in post the browse screen will come up, find the picture in your picture file and hit ok, it will now be embeded on your post.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/27/2013 12:13:45 AM >

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 29
RE: Moving stacks - 11/26/2013 11:08:04 PM   
paulderynck

He got the "invalid placement" symbol because he had more than one ship in hand.

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Moving stacks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI