Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Forward to Richmond!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> RE: Forward to Richmond! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 12/31/2013 4:25:14 PM   
Ol Choctaw

I think you have bagged him in middle Tennessee. He should have left earlier and contested Corinth with those forces.

You might try your Unionists and partisans in East Tennessee to cut communications with Virginia and make him reinforce by the longer routs.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 31
"God Granted us a Happy New Year" - 12/31/2013 10:17:22 PM   
Q-Ball

"The enemy has yielded his strong position and is falling back. We occupy [the] whole field and shall follow him. ... God has granted us a happy New Year."
--Braxton Bragg in message to Jefferson Davis after the first day of Stones River (Murfreesboro)

Happy New Year! Bragg's message was a bit optimistic of course, as he was forced to withdraw 2 days later after much expenditure of blood

May 1863, EAST:

My attempt to put a Corps across at Fredricksburg, while the AnV was at Clark, failed. Jackson and friends appeared there, and the I Corps crumpled; we lost over 8000 men and 4 NM, as Hooker and several generals were blamed for defeat.

It wasn't all bad, though; as a result, he basically abandoned the upper Valley. I was able to move VI Corps forward into Manassas Gap, and Reynold's III Corps took Harpers Ferry, and should take Winchester next turn. He only has Cavalry out there.

I am a little skittish as Lee has 75000 men, and has crumpled my flank a couple times; however, Reynolds has support from a 30000-man corps, and I can't see how he can get Jackson from Fredricksburg to the Valley in 15 days.....right?

Florida:

I thought I had him pinned in Apalachicola, but somehow 2 divisions not only left it, but appeared close to Jacksonville! 1000 AV is bearing down on the town.

I think I will hold; I moved McDowell there, and I have 500 AV dug-in pretty well. As a precaution, I am moving a division from Gadsden, as they are not needed to guard that place now.

This game of whack a mole is strange; we are keeping equal forces busy, which suits me I think, as I don't want to see the divisions of Hood, AP Hill, and Richard Anderson in Tennessee; these guys are crack commanders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ol Choctaw)
Post #: 32
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 12/31/2013 10:24:46 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ol Choctaw

I think you have bagged him in middle Tennessee. He should have left earlier and contested Corinth with those forces.

You might try your Unionists and partisans in East Tennessee to cut communications with Virginia and make him reinforce by the longer routs.

Indeed, as you will see he came to the same conclusion, and left Nashville in a hurry

May 1863, WEST:

We finally took Nashville. This was only after I took Hunstville and points south in his rear, occupied Murfressboro, and put armies over the river southwest and east of the City.

He had pulled back the turn before, so we moved directly into Nashville with Rosecran's Army. We smacked around GW Smith's corps, winning 2 NM and trashing that wing of AS Johnston's army.

Now, he lost a battle, has gunboats in his rear, the rail line is cut, and things are overall not so great in terms of getting out.

Pursuit is slow, however, due to the terrain; I am ordering Meade directly into the hex, but he'll probably be gone by then.

I will pursue right to Stevenson, AL, and hope to squeeze him between the river and the Army of the Cumberland

Missouri:

We have to halt and build some supplies; meanwhile, the Rebels are using Regional Cards to rebuild the depots at Springfield and Fayetteville. I guess he plans to stick around.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ol Choctaw)
Post #: 33
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/2/2014 9:51:26 PM   
Q-Ball

June 1863:

We are heading toward the summer of 1863, and the Union war machine grinds onward. Mostly, in Tennessee.

EAST:

We crossed at Fredricksburg, again, this time with a stronger Corps, and easily defeated the division posted there, winning 1 NM.

The AnV, all 70,000-ish of it, is gathered at Culpepper. I am expecting at attack at Fredricksburg, but I think I have enough to repulse it; about 30,000 guys in the region, plus another 35,000 or so at Falmouth in 2 Corps. We'll find out, as I anticipate an attack on Fredricksburg.

I accidently left Winchester open, though, when I advanced to Stasburg, so I am sure I'll pay for that one when Stuart takes it in my rear. I'll have to backtrack to re-take it.

Tennessee:

He is now retreating in Tennessee faster than I can attack, apparently toward Chattanooga.

I was uncomfortable with blocking the Tennessee river, which would have trapped his armies on the wrong bank. Thinking about it, I don't think blocking it was historically possible. It wasn't a factor in the Tullahoma campaing, and Hood crossed in both directions in 1864. The available depth in the river really drops off after Muscle Shoals, AL (Tuscumbia), and I don't think it was really usable by warships in contested territory. One glance at the river bend around Lookout Mountain, and it's obvious you can't sail there with a warship.

I also don't want the game to end with the destruction of Johnston's army.

So, I am pulling my gunboats on that stretch of the river, and he will retreat to Chattanooga.

I will pull up to Stevenson, but a direct assault over the river is out of the question. So, what then? How on earth do I get to Atlanta?

I have a couple ideas, but I want to clear Memphis first. I will probably send a Corps to Grant to help with that, as I want to clear it this summer for sure, to allow for an advance on Little Rock before winter.

Florida:

Nothing in particular happened in Florida, but I am posting a shot showing forces down there. AP Hill disappeared from his drive on Jacksonville, so I may redeploy some of the forces there. I would like to stay in Jacksonville permanently, to support the Union Navy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 34
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/3/2014 8:24:56 AM   
veji1

Interesting campaign. It seems that starting late 62 your numerical advantage has had a real impact. Right now the situation feels very historical. You might be late in the Mississippi theater itself, with Memphis still confederate, but I suspect it could go quite quickly from there. in the other theaters it feels very historical. Now my question would be, with an early Kentucky activation, do you think the situation would be much different ? Because right now it feels right in your game, but one wouldn't want it to tip any further in the Union direction, because although I wouldn't say you are a bad player, it seems to me that without your 2 mistakes in 1862 (the Falmouth gambit and overreaching in western Tennessee), you would be a lot forward.

Thanks for a great AAR anyway.

EDIT : agreed regarding the Tennessee River. It really shouldn't be navigable past Tuscumba, or even a bit earlier, not only because of movement blocking issues, but also because it would help emulate the supply problems linked with campaigning in this area for the Union : it was relativealy easy to supply a deep advance along the Mississippi, but in Tennessee it was made a lot harder and slower because of supplying difficulties. A supply-flowing river going so deep in south eastern Tennessee makes it to easy for the Union to supply a push south east.

< Message edited by veji1 -- 1/3/2014 9:29:51 AM >

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 35
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/3/2014 11:56:49 AM   
Ol Choctaw

veji1,

I can’t say that I agree. The Union from what I can tell seems a bit stronger than in comparison to the historical time. The CSA does seem weaker.

Lee is about right in Virginia but the west seems a bit too one-sided. Remember that Bragg outnumbered Rosy in Tennessee while Grant lacked the numbers to assault in Vicksburg and there were plenty of Rebs still hiding in Arkansas and Louisiana.

On paper the Union out numbered the CSA by a little better than 2 to 1 but when you look at the main armies you don’t find that. Lee was outnumbered by about 20 to 25,000. Grant outnumbered Pemberton by 40,000 but Smith had 30,000 in Arkansas and Louisiana that could not marry up. Rosy was slightly out numbered by Bragg at 60,000 to 65,000 and the Union was matched on their invasion fronts on the coast and could not advance. Bowen had enough to stall Banks’ two Corps so we can assume it was under 3 to 1 odds.

Stripping away the naval forces at sea and garrisons you would have to say the odds were maybe at 2 to 1, most likely closer to 3 to 2. Here from what I see the Union appears to have more strength than that, though it may only be the perception.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 36
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/3/2014 7:43:03 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: veji1

Interesting campaign. It seems that starting late 62 your numerical advantage has had a real impact. Right now the situation feels very historical. You might be late in the Mississippi theater itself, with Memphis still confederate, but I suspect it could go quite quickly from there. in the other theaters it feels very historical. Now my question would be, with an early Kentucky activation, do you think the situation would be much different ? Because right now it feels right in your game, but one wouldn't want it to tip any further in the Union direction, because although I wouldn't say you are a bad player, it seems to me that without your 2 mistakes in 1862 (the Falmouth gambit and overreaching in western Tennessee), you would be a lot forward.

Good comments, thanks....I do think I am a bit behind, both where I should be in the game, and also vs. history. Remember, by mid-1863, the Union had taken Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock, New Orleans, Norfolk among strategic objectives. I'm behind in both instances.

In my defense, we are playing with a HR appointing McClellan in charge in East through 1862; I really like that rule BTW, as it forces the Union player to play a Western game, which is a good thing, and not just go hell-bent for Richmond

I will comment more on game balance in a separate post; we started 1863 with a 318K to 259K numbers which seems about right. The gap has widened since then. I would like others to play to determine balance, but it's feeling almost right; South could use a couple hands. The VPs are really out of whack for sure. More on that later.

August 1863:

This month featured a bit for everyone.

EAST:

Battle of Fredricksburg II:

Lee pulled together 85000 men and pushed me back out of Fredricksburg. This is very disappointing, I had level 3 trenches already and brought 80,000 men to the fight from most of the AoP, but we lost, along with 2 NM. We each suffered about 14,000 losses; equal losses does help me in the long run, so that part is nice.

With the AnV firmly entrenched in Culpepper and Freds-burg, we are going to Plan B, which is outflanking via the Valley. We have Strasburg, and will build depots further down to come over the Blue Ridge and into Charlottesville.

At least Lyon's leadership has made a difference; most Corps are active all the time.

Coastal:

We have taken Ft. Moultrie; a division appeared in Charelston, unsurprisingly, the minute we did that. For some reason, Charleston though is not showing blockaded yet; I'll give it a turn or two to see what happens.

Georgetown was taken by Gibbon, who moved to Ft. Morgan. I would like to clear Ft. Morgan, but the other objective is to get John Gibbon promoted to 2*, where he will command a Corps in Virginia.

TENNESSEE:

AS Johnston completed his withdrawl to Chattanooga; we assaulted him before crossing, but lost, and suffered a 1 NM penalty. Did shoot more rebs, though.

As it happens, though, I was already moving troops from Rosecrans and Buell up in Missouri to Grant. Rosecrans is dug-in along the Tennnessee river, there is no chance he'll be attacked. This allowed me to send most of Meade's Corps to Memphis area, add it to Thomas, and cut Memphis off from the landward side.

Thomas Meagher's corps also took Hopefield on the other side, and we continued to Madison. I think these towns are the key to Memphis; once they fall, the South is reliant on the rail line to Jackson, which is tenuous.

So, I have Beauregard bottled up pretty well; but now what?

Odds are he has a pile of supplies right now in Memphis, so he can withstand a long siege. I don't see how we can break out without outside help. But I also don't know if I can assault him.

I may end up having to invest Memphis, and detach part of my army to move elsewhere. One problem with Memphis is that he can use transports to run supplies in and out. I have the Union Navy, but they can't sit there for months, particularly in bad weather. In anticipation of this, I occupied Helena, AK, and I may move a Coastal Gun unit down there and dig it in to block the river. Even that probably won't prevent a move

Interesting situation, for sure......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 1/3/2014 8:44:17 PM >

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 37
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/4/2014 11:34:02 PM   
Q-Ball

Sept 1863:

The big news is that somehow, Beauregard escaped with his army cleanly from Memphis! I have no idea how, it wasn't over the river, because I had a fleet a region to the south. I've asked Gunnulf, but I bet he marched past Thomas on "Evade", and got lucky. Drat!

The silver lining to this cloud is that we took Memphis

Virginia:

We have cleared the Valley all the way down to New Market; we are building a depot at Strasburg, and will probably build another at Staunton. Once that is complete, we can threaten Charlottesville, and force the South to defend an awfully long line. That's the plan.

Lee's army of around 80,000 now has new Corps under Early and Ewell, so they can also spread out a bit to cover as well

I have II Corps crossing the Rapphannock east of Fredricksburg; I expect a strong reaction, probably at all-out attack, again. I am testing his reactions.

Coastal Campaigns:

We took Ft. Moultrie, but apparently taking that fort does not blockade Charleston. An army is bearing down as well, so we picked up Greene's command. Meanwhile, Gibbon took Ft. Morgan and got himself promoted.

I don't feel I've used my naval advantage to it's fullest. After a good start (blockading New Orleans, taking chunks of Florida), he has countered my moves. Maybe that's the point, as I know he has over 2000 AV right now playing whack-a-mole on my guys, but it's frustrating.

I feel I need an entire Army, i.e. 2 Corps of men, to really stay somewhere for good an open another front. I have a very good idea where to do that now. More later, but with the Union Navy getting stronger, a couple good possibilities.

Tennessee:

Here is the big news: Beauregard got away!

I spend a couple turns pulling troops together around Memphis, from Missouri, Rosecrans, etc, and I thought I had him. But he got away. Damn!

I handed Sherman the job of taking Memphis, and finally got him promoted to 2*, which is good. Meagher took a force west to Little Rock, but we are blocked by the river.

What Next?

So, dear readers, now what?

In East Tennessee, As Johnston holds 3 regions around Chattanooga that are really tough nuts. I will test it eventually, but not now, not with winter coming. The silver lining is that I don't see him crossing the Tennessee northward, so we can screen him with not alot of troops.

For now, first order of business is clearing Little Rock. The Union Navy will attack the CSA Ironclads in the river, and we need to move some guns to Bolivar, and Napoleon. That will restrict the CSA and make it more difficult for him to operate the Ironclads. Once we have the Arkansas River cleared, I can pull together an overwhelming force via rail through Memphis and Madison to quickly clear it.

Once I have that, I have a few options:

1. Advance overland toward Jackson. The terrain isn't terrible, and we should be able to move. The problem is it's so darn long, and I would need to build depots in Granada and points south to sustain it.
2. Advance down the river. We will probably be halted at Vicksburg, but the advantage of this route is that supplies are much easier. We can use flatboats to build depots.
3. Advance into Alabama via Decatur: Seems like you can chain supplies from Decatur southward through Tuscaloosa.

Thing about the West, once you clear Tennessee and Little Rock, the last Strategic Objectives are Vicksburg and New Orleans. And any production is really around those two points; aside from Merdian and Montgomery, there isn't anything worth taking between Jackson and Columbus, GA.

Anyway, I am taking suggestions. One advantage to being further south is that I can get a little more accomplished during winter, as we shouldn't have freezing weather below Memphis

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 1/5/2014 12:37:44 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 38
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/5/2014 1:13:01 AM   
Jim D Burns

At this stage of the war you need to take your eyes off capturing his production centers and go after his army. He won’t have enough production left by now to do much more than maintain his standing army (I assume you are playing with historical attrition?). My guess is he’s already pouring most of his cash into buying replacement chits every turn, so lean on his armies wherever you can to try and break his ability to repair damage quickly.

I’d work on a strategy of pulling together a strong force of 3 or 4 corps out west with leaders that have high strategic ratings, and use that force as your main assaulting army next season using coordinated movement to try and smash his big stacks. Build up a very large pool of spare replacement chits (in the hundreds if you can afford it) so you can keep your offensive going. If you manage to crack his main army, don’t let up, keep the pressure on until it’s shattered if possible.

It’s probably a mistake to try and hold every region next year, it will dilute your strength too much trying to put strong stacks in every region. Consolidate your power wherever you can and use it to hit him hard. I’d only defend the depots themselves with large stacks, the regions in between can be left open since it’d be suicide for him to venture outside of his forts with large Union armies around. It’s probably not a good idea to try and take the time to surround him again, go for the coordinated frontal assault with huge hammer blows, time is running out and you need to hurt him bad in 1864 if you want to win by the following year.

Jim

Edit: Almost forgot to mention it, if you have some spare leaders, keep them stacked with your main assaulting armies (2 or 3 per corps if possible). That way you can replace killed leaders immediately and your campaign won’t have to pause while you bring in replacements for the dead. The main thing is once you crack his defense, try and plan it so you can stay on his tail until he’s cooked. Leapfrogging forces would be best (one force attacks while the other rests), but the CSA is probably too strong for you to have enough troops to set up that kind of a campaign and still have the strength to win.

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 1/5/2014 2:33:28 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 39
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/5/2014 4:48:23 AM   
Ace1_slith

I would march South overland. The terrain is mostly open, so you can have good marching speeds, wider depots spread and you can put more guns to bear in combat. If he tries to block that path, his casualties will surely mount.
The best counterstrategy to this would be to defend in depth, and try to harras your supply lines. Ultimate goal in this theater are New Orleans and Mobile. Everything else is minor.
Scout ahead with your navy and see what he has got down the Missisipi now that Memphis is taken.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 40
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/5/2014 6:35:44 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ace1

I would march South overland. The terrain is mostly open, so you can have good marching speeds, wider depots spread and you can put more guns to bear in combat. If he tries to block that path, his casualties will surely mount.
The best counterstrategy to this would be to defend in depth, and try to harras your supply lines. Ultimate goal in this theater are New Orleans and Mobile. Everything else is minor.
Scout ahead with your navy and see what he has got down the Missisipi now that Memphis is taken.

I am marching overland; at the moment, I simply want to force him to keep an army there and bleed him. I have 35,000 men under Sherman detached at the moment assaulting Little Rock, but when they are able to join Grant, we should be able to steamroll him.

We're approaching 1864, so the weight of the Union is beginning to tell. We still are a little behind historical, but catching up pretty quickly. I think Gunnulf is starting to feel the walls cave in a bit.

Oct 1863:

Virginia:

I had pushed a small Corps forward to New Market, but there were smacked back by Jackson. We are retreating to Strasburg, for now, but we will be back. I intend to take Staunton and build a depot, hopefully over the winter. At the moment, only a Cav Division under Stuart is down that part of the Valley.

I Move a Corps to the region east of Fredricksburg, but I think I made a tactical mistake in how I arranged the troops that I will probably pay for in the form of a Reb counterattack that sends me back across the Rappahannock.

West:

After taking Memphis, Grant's very large army divided in two.

One wing of about 35,000 struck out for Little Rock. Gunnulf has about 850 AV, probably somewhere around 10,000 men in Little Rock. There no way he can hold, IMO, that was the idea of overwhelming strength.

Meanwhile, Grant army attacked GW Smith in Mississippi. We outflanked the position in Grenada, hopefully he withdraws so I can build a depot there.

My biggest problem, and why I have to call a halt at the moment, is that we have outrun our supplies. I am constructing new depots, but I don't want to get caught in winter without supplies. Too bad, I may have kept going if it was summer.

Missouri:

There are still 2000 Reb AV in Missouri, at Springfield and Fayetteville.

Gunnulf has played a very good game IMO, but I wonder if his commitment to Missouri was a mistake. Unless I need the VPs, I am content to sit on St. Louis and Little Rock, and those troops will have difficulty doing much other than forcing me to keep a like-size garrison. But tying down an equal number of Union troops isn't really a very good use at the moment, since he is outnumbered in other areas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ace1_slith)
Post #: 41
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/5/2014 9:21:42 PM   
veji1

interesting, a very good first example of how the game unfolds under 1.02

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 42
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/5/2014 10:04:54 PM   
Q-Ball

Nov 1863

With the river opening, we are moving very fast in the Mississippi basin ahead of winter. We are also building supply lines and depots in preparation for the 1864 campaign.

Virginia:

We halted activity for the moment; I need to re-organize my forces for a campaign in 1864. He has sent reinforcements to Virginia, so Lee's army is by far the strongest. This makes sense of course, given the importance of Richmond.

Coastal Campaigns:

Given the coming winter, we have assembled from various sources an army of 30,000 men. We have 4 divisions, including Pontoons, Siege Mortars, Supplies, Marines, a Cav Division. McDowell is in charge; sadly, he's the best 3* I can come up with at the moment, but I have Meade and Hancock along for stronger leadership.

This force is currently at St. Joseph, Florida, in preparation for opening a new front. We have enough shipping at that location to lift the whole force. This is a mighty force with which we intend to open another front TBD......

Western Rivers:

Grant's army is halted in Mississippi, while we construct a new depot at Fulton, AL. Our supply situation is steady, so far. I really thought hard about advancing, but I think I need to make sure we can eat before I lunge for Jackson and points south.

Raiders are in my rear; they tore up rail at Corinth and another region, forcing me to deploy Cav to repair and skirmish with the raiders. Hopefully soon they will move back south. I may be forces to garrison Covington and Humboldt to prevent him from using those points for resupply. I already have garrisons at Holly Springs, Austin, and of course, Memphis.

Speaking of Garrisons, I pretty much have to keep at least a Brigade at every Depot well dug-in. I have a small division at Critical depots. Basically, I need to make them impervious to a 300-AV Cav Division; this to me takes about 120 AV well dug-in with a generic leader.

Arkansas:

Sherman took Little Rock easily. We are pursuing Holmes's command to Camden, and will take the Redoubt there. I had my doubts about whether it's worth it, as there are no production structures there, but decided it would be a good outpost to keep him out of Central Arkansas, and away from Little Rock. Can't hurt.

If we do take Camden, however, we're not going to advance overland toward Shreveport. I don't see the point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 43
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/5/2014 10:35:04 PM   
bugwar

Loving the AAR.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 44
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 8:27:03 AM   
veji1

Yep me too, great read, and your maps are very helpful. Interesting to see how every little counts for the CSA. How to properly use Missouri forces for example, and how to organize cavalry raiding forces so that they can create some real pain...

(in reply to bugwar)
Post #: 45
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 1:31:55 PM   
Q-Ball

Thanks gents for the kind words! Glad you are enjoying it

Dec 1863:

This turn was a mixture of bad on the ground, but we also successfully uncorked what I hope will be a game-changing amphib invasion of Louisiana.

East:

We are re-organizing our army in the Valley. We hold the important towns, but each time we attempt to advance a little, we get whacked. Not good.

I am also extending my flank past Fredricksburg.

I need to make a demonstration here shortly, in order to prevent him from railing troops to New Orleans from Richmond

Overall, though I lost 1862 to McClellan, I am not happy with my lack of progress out here.

Western Rivers:

Happy with this, though......supplies are still a problem, but GW Smith has fallen back on Meridian. The position at Grenada is tenuous at best for him, once my wagons are full I think I can flank him out of it and force a retreat to Jackson area.

Raiders continue to be bothersome. I also have to make ever depot a size-2 depot to prevent "Partisan Raid" cards from trashing them. That's a pain, but better than having everyone suddenly halt due to a depot being burnt

Camden, AK:

This was a disaster that I am attempting to turn into Lemonade.

Sherman entered Camden on posture to assault the fortress. Bad idea, because the whole Rebel army was inside! 30,000 Union troops spent themselves on fruitless assaults against 16,000 CSA defenders, losing 8500 men to about 6000 for them. More importantly, we lost 5 NM. OUCH!

At the end of the turn, though, they were inside, me outside. I put Sherman on defensive posture, and he is now beseiging the place. I think I am too strong for him to attack outward, but he may be able to sortie out and escape. We'll see. He probably shouldn't stay inside. He definitely cannot get troops there to relieve them in any numbers, not with me knocking on the door of New Orleans

Missouri:

Quiet. I did notice that Joe Johnston has left Springfield, and took some troops with him. They are probably being moved, slowly, toward other theaters where they are more urgently needed. I don't feel he'll make another try for St. Louis.

Invasion of Louisiana:

This is the big news. Scouting by ship revealed that he had a 400-ish AV division well dug in at New Orleands, which is unassailable, but also that he didn't have significant batteries blocking the river. Other scouting revealed that Plaquemine was undefended.

Farragut ran past New Orleans with a Corps under Greene, and army commander McDowell, taking Baton Rouge. Meade takes Plaquemine. I have depots under construction in both places now, using flatboats. Even if he blocks the river at New Orleans, supplies should pull to Plaquemine via sea, then over the river to Baton Rouge. At Plaquemine, I am going to mount Coastal guns to block the river (These coastal guns, BTW, are among the many I have taken from Forts; I had to evacuate Ft. Moultrie, these particular guns I took with me).

Foote came down as well to ward-off any river interference, and ran the batteries at Vicksburg

At this point, the only downside is that the Union River fleet is now divided between a Northern half and Southern Half; each half is about as strong as the total estimated CSA strength. I built 3 new ironclads recently in anticipation of this, so I have 8 now on the river, and I've built almost all the Cottonclads (which I prefer over Ironclads, BTW)

The objective is to isolate and invest New Orleans, and also link-up with Grant's army coming down the river; Grant is approaching Jackson.

Just like real life, all this should sever the Confederacy in two. I plan to take all the plantations and production structures down here, New Orleans, then make for Mobile.

Reb Moves: What will Gunnulf do with this?

I don't think he can pull together the troops necessary to boot me out. He has a division at New Orleans that is well dug-in. I think he can:

1. Evacuated New Orleans, and save that division.
2. Send a few forces, enough to screen my guys and keep them honest, while also trying to hold me off in Central Mississippi
3. Turn Beauregard's army around and attempt to kick McDowell out. That would mean surrendering Jackson/Vicksburg. I don't think he'll do that, but it's an option
4. Leave the New Orleans troops there, for a seige: He may do this......he probably has alot of supplies there, and it's a swamp; won't be an easy nut to crack. The difficulty of course is that New Orleans is a dead-end for him

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 1/6/2014 2:37:44 PM >

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 46
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 2:16:20 PM   
veji1

Great move in Louisiana. To be honest though, if the Plaquemines landing feels great, the fact that you could sail through New Orleans unmolested to land all the way up at Baton Rouge makes me feel unconfortable. I am not saying it is gamey or anything, and it might have been perfectly historically possible, it just feels a bit strange to see a big Union fleet and army just sail past New Orleans and up 300 kms of the Mississippi all the way to Baton Rouge, but again it might very well be totally feasible, if the CSA player makes the mistake of not having strong batteries In New Orleans.

Let me say again that your AAR style is awesome and we are having great fun reading.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 47
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 2:26:15 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

Great move in Louisiana. To be honest though, if the Plaquemines landing feels great, the fact that you could sail through New Orleans unmolested to land all the way up at Baton Rouge makes me feel unconfortable. I am not saying it is gamey or anything, and it might have been perfectly historically possible, it just feels a bit strange to see a big Union fleet and army just sail past New Orleans and up 300 kms of the Mississippi all the way to Baton Rouge, but again it might very well be totally feasible, if the CSA player makes the mistake of not having strong batteries In New Orleans.

Let me say again that your AAR style is awesome and we are having great fun reading.

I hear you......I do think it's kosher though.

First, Farragut actually sailed to Vicksburg, so clearly the river is navigable to Baton Rouge. Second, he ran the forts at the Head of the Passes to New Orleans, why not run past the city? I control the forts at the passes myself, so it's just skipping one spot. And with support from the Atchalafiya.

I do think it would be a bit beyond kosher if it was ONLY a move to Baton Rouge.

I also think it's gamey or unrealistic to sail way inland in spots like Macon, GA.....possible in game, but not IRL. If it was, Sherman would have been resupplied from there

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 48
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 2:40:52 PM   
veji1

Fair enough, this is a very valuable AAR as it shows us that as a CSA player for example one needs strong batteries in New Orleans AND not forget about the back door as well. regarding excessive inland navigating, I agree with you. I always find it frustrating that one can sail all the way to the middle of the Appalaches in Tennessee or close to Atlanta. There should just be a block on those rivers around Tuscumbia for example.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 49
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 2:48:02 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

Fair enough, this is a very valuable AAR as it shows us that as a CSA player for example one needs strong batteries in New Orleans AND not forget about the back door as well. regarding excessive inland navigating, I agree with you. I always find it frustrating that one can sail all the way to the middle of the Appalaches in Tennessee or close to Atlanta. There should just be a block on those rivers around Tuscumbia for example.

I think CSA player should play with a reasonable opponent, and maybe identify spots on major rivers where there should not be military navigation past. Transports I think are OK for moving things to areas you already control. But if the Union could sail fleets into Central Georgia, why didn't they do that IRL?

Because they actually couldn't, that's why.....

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 50
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 2:49:23 PM   
Ace1_slith

Just to be sure, I am not sure Plaquemine is a sea or river port. It may and it may not be. Look if it receives supply from the sea. Safer port to receive sea supply is Berwick. You should build depots inthere asap.

By the way, great move. I feel he is by now looking at VP ratio and is thinking how to run the clock down.

< Message edited by Ace1 -- 1/6/2014 3:50:19 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 51
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 3:02:41 PM   
veji1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I think CSA player should play with a reasonable opponent, and maybe identify spots on major rivers where there should not be military navigation past. Transports I think are OK for moving things to areas you already control. But if the Union could sail fleets into Central Georgia, why didn't they do that IRL?

Because they actually couldn't, that's why.....

True, but in terms of design it wouldn't be very difficult to put a block between 2 rivers provinces so that ships cannot sail through. But one could still use the river for supply purposes if secured for example. This for me should be the case in the Tennessee river at least, and on a couple of other "major" rivers in game.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 52
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/6/2014 4:58:15 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

Just to be sure, I am not sure Plaquemine is a sea or river port. It may and it may not be. Look if it receives supply from the sea. Safer port to receive sea supply is Berwick. You should build depots inthere asap.

By the way, great move. I feel he is by now looking at VP ratio and is thinking how to run the clock down.

Good suggestion on the Depot at Berwick; I think Plaquemine is a river, but putting a depot at Berwick will ensure supply flow

RE: VPs, I am already ahead, and the per-turn VPs I am ahead as well. So technically, I could just sit here and win on VPs. That ain't right, though.

I think while the balance in the game is improved, the VPs need to be addressed because the Union player can technically just sit on Tennessee and run the clock out. That's not right. The CSA needs more VPs, or the Union needs fewer automatic ones, some sort of adjustment.

Towns like Toledo, Cleveland can be made non-VP hexes. If the Rebs make it that far, the Union is probably toast anyway, so that would be a way to better balance it. not sure how many, but Union gets too many VPs at the moment, IMO.

(in reply to Ace1_slith)
Post #: 53
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/7/2014 4:51:25 PM   
Q-Ball

Jan 1864

Overall Assessment:

Overall, I think I could be doing a bit better. In the minus column, I haven't been aggressive enough in Virginia, or overall. I am not sure I have leveraged my Navy well enough until recently. We are a bit behind historical in terms of territory.

We have taken the following Strategic Locations: El Paso, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville. We have taken the following Objective Towns: Island 10, Corinth, Madison AK, Jacksonville FL, Winchester, Baton Rouge.

Our relative strength now:
445,000 Union Troops (not counting forts and fixed garrisons)
295,000 CSA (not counting forts, etc)

The trajectory is clearly upward for Union, though he is still growing the Confederate Army.

In terms of losses, he has lost 180,000 men, with another 25,000 POWs. I have lost about 200,000, with probably 15,000 or so POWs. I think the losses are not heavy for either side.

We are ahead in VPs over 200 points, and gaining 18 per turn organically. I think the VPs need to be looked at, because we SHOULD be at about the tipping point now, maybe slightly ahead.

One thing is that Gunnulf has made extensive use of MOBILIZATION, which is costly in NM and VP. I have never used it. He has also purchased recruits, drafted, he's basically maxed-out every economic lever he could in order to expand the CSA army.

I have bought recruits, and done requisitions, etc, the main limitation now is MONEY. I have yet to turn down a Treasury option, I am trying to resist taxes right now because I don't want the morale hit.

WEST:

I'll post a map later, but the Confederates are pulling back after my landing at Baton Rouge.

Most of Beauregard's army is now at Meridian; he seems to be abandoning Jackson. There is a large force at Vicksburg as well. Other than that, he seems to be pulling back off the Mississippi.

Buchanan's fleet of Ironclads ran the forts and made for Mobile, so he is leaving the river as well.

We are marching 2 Corps toward New Orleans, where there is a 400 AV force dug-in to Level 8. In a swamp hex. How many troops will it take to assault that do you think?

Out in Arkansas, we pursued Holmes's forces to Arkadelphia, and he is very low in cohesion, with snow gripping Arkansas. It's a long march to safety, I wonder if we'll get lucky and some of his troops will starve. Either way, as soon as Sherman recovers cohesion, we are moving his forces toward Vicksburg.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 1/8/2014 12:23:17 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 54
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/7/2014 10:35:32 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

The trajectory is clearly upward for Union, though he is still growing the Confederate Army.

Are you guys playing with historical attrition? I would think with such large force numbers on map most of your conscripts would be going into replacement chits every turn at this point. If you are playing with historical attrition, what percentage of your conscripts do you think you spend each turn to maintain force levels?

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 1/7/2014 11:35:56 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 55
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/8/2014 3:40:40 AM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

Are you guys playing with historical attrition? I would think with such large force numbers on map most of your conscripts would be going into replacement chits every turn at this point. If you are playing with historical attrition, what percentage of your conscripts do you think you spend each turn to maintain force levels?

Jim

We are not, but that gave us the idea to turn it on. It's on now. We'll see how large the impact.

Feb 1864

Very little fighting but lots of moving, as the Rebels pull everyone back to Meridian. This means that Vicksburg has been abandoned, save for the fixed units. In fact, aside from New Orleans, which I am confident will fall shortly, he's pretty much abandoned the entire Mississippi River system.

Sherman's Corps is arriving shortly from Camden, AK, and will take Vicksburg. I hope to get him promoted to 3*.

I really would like to get the Reb Army under battle, but we're spending time overrunning Mississippi instead, so I guess that's progress

Jackson fell this turn, and I expect Vicksburg and New Orleands shortly. After that, rather than assault Meridian, we'll probably send a wing south toward Mobile/Pensacola, clear that, then swing back up toward Montgomery

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 1/8/2014 4:42:46 AM >

Post #: 56
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/8/2014 8:12:04 AM   
veji1

He seems to be trying to milk out the clock, which in terms of VP doesn't work because the model is Kaput, but makes sense from a game play perspective (ie "I want to hold pas the historical surrender line"). He could try to smack some of your forces with his regrouped AoT but I suppose he would incurr useless losses... So the point for him is a mix of force conservation and trying to get you to attack him on a terrain that is favorable to him, instead of managing to manouver him out of position... very much like the Overland and Atlanta campaigns of 64...

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 57
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/8/2014 4:15:45 PM   
Jim D Burns

They have a real dilemma with VP’s if they try and fix it as it’s tied to foreign entry and if the CSA gets way ahead in the early years the Union will never be able to prevent foreign entry from firing. I think the only thing they can do is make a few key southern objectives more valuable if the CSA still holds them as the yeas wear on. So places like Richmond, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc. would be worth normal in 61 and 62, then x2 in 63, x3 in 64 and finally x4 in 65. That may be the only fix that will still preserve some kind of balance in the foreign entry system.

quote:

We are not, but that gave us the idea to turn it on. It's on now. We'll see how large the impact.

Not sure if you’ll be able to change it or not. I think some of the settings get set upon initiation of the scenario and cannot be changed, but I may be wrong about that. If it is working you will see a huge surge in the hits number each turn above each of the replacement chits. Warn your opponent about this, you may both be so large now that about 100% of your incomes will need to go into chits and only mobilizations will give you enough income to do any new builds in the future.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 1/8/2014 5:28:31 PM >

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 58
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/8/2014 4:30:01 PM   
Ace1_slith

I do not see a lot of teared railroads and burned depots.
If I were on a retreat of this scale, I would leave a torched landscape behind me. It is all he can do right now. His Meridian position is untenable. He should have detached 3 divisions to New Orleans, and another 3 to Mobile The rest should retreat eastwards to more favorable terrain.

Post #: 59
RE: Forward to Richmond! - 1/8/2014 4:39:07 PM   
veji1

quote:

I do not see a lot of teared railroads and burned depots.
If I were on a retreat of this scale, I would leave a torched landscape behind me. It is all he can do right now. His Meridian position is untenable. He should have detached 3 divisions to New Orleans, and another 3 to Mobile The rest should retreat eastwards to more favorable terrain.

Agreed, since he has been retiring in 63 he hasn't used all those defensive tricks enough (as far as we can see). For him now every bullet or can of beef less in the Union's wagons because of supply issues he caused is better than an extra soldier on his side.

Once the CSA player is on the retreat he should really think coldly about what he wants to do : destroy everything, play RGDs that allow him to get more stuff out before he leaves like impressment, try to cut production for several turns after he leaves etc...

(in reply to Ace1_slith)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> RE: Forward to Richmond! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI