Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Graphics Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Graphics Help Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:50:50 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

How does this compare to the USSR forces?

I'll get some comparison shots up ya.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 91
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 2:54:36 PM   
WarHunter

Ichirou989, Thank you for helping me with the data files. Your posts were that good.
Enjoy that cold beer.

Let us know what olive drab you come with.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 92
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 4:02:14 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

The artillery Nato box is still that pale French blue. Shouldn't that also become purple? Or is that a standard colour for that type, as the Italian has the same colour?

I notice a green border effect of the counter itself on the screenshot. On purpose?

-------

Your remark on the path gave me inspiriration. Pathfinder is actually not a bad alias. If I get banned you'll find me under that new name. Only pity is that there is no Avatar counter for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_(RAF)

AxeINL,
The artillery shade like the White for NZL is still hiding in plain sight. No clue where it might be in the data files.

The green outline is pretty much standard when the green bubble is active. You can see the effect in screenshots all throughout the AAR's. Land, Air and Sea counters.

For the background of the CW divisions, I'll look at some shades of Khaki. Better fit That purple shade needs to be for the Italians.

For a Pathfinder symbol, how about a Mosquito counter?

Didn't notice the green shade before!
Could you try the original background colour of KiF (Dabrion posted it in the beginning of this thread) for the Div shade? If it turns out nice, we can use it to explain why it was too bright for the general Khaki background.

Mosquito is indeed the best aircraft type for the pathfinder counter. Could be an optional rule: Stats other than range needs to be diminished, but when present other bombers get +2 on strategic bombing attacks.

For the moment I will stick with my Cruiser bearing the name of our national sea hero Admiral Michiel de Ruyter.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 93
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 6:00:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

I am color blind myself ;) So I cant help with tuning the colour schema, just wanted to point out how it is done since I came across it recently.

Also this a modding, so you do not have to use it. And I am rather certain you can find the switches that render the CW counters with the same settings like the Chinese counters, or render everything in pink. Documentations in the PM2, p.198ff is almost accurate, shouldn't be too hard to work out.

The variable for outlining elite land units against a pale background is OutlineElite. This is the Elite unit outline flag on page 199 of volume 2.

===

Changing the background color for a country should eliminate the border color being different from the country color for air and naval units.

EDIT: Here's the source code for reading in the variables for sub-country data (i.e., any country that has a unit):
// ****************************************************************************
// Now read in the variables for SubCountry.
Abbrev := TrimString(S); // 3 letter name abbreviation.
S1 := TrimString(S);
B := ctNone;
ControllingPartisanCountry := Pointer(B);

S1 := TrimString(S);

if S1 <> '' then B := StrToInt(S1)
else B := ctNone;

ForcePoolMP := Pointer(B);

UnitColor := StringToColor(TrimString(S));
IconColor := StringToColor(TrimString(S));
LandIconFColor := StringToColor(TrimString(S));
LandIconBColor := StringToColor(TrimString(S));
TextColor1 := StringToColor(TrimString(S));
TextColor2 := StringToColor(TrimString(S));
TextColor3 := StringToColor(TrimString(S));

OutlineElite := StrToBool(TrimString(S));
UseArmyInfantry := StrToBool(TrimString(S));
UseArmyArmor := StrToBool(TrimString(S));

Partisans := StrToInt(TrimString(S));
PartisanChance := StrToInt(TrimString(S));
PartisanActive := StrToBool(TrimString(S));

ConvoyPoints := StrToInt(TrimString(S));
// Subcountries that can be claimed are Contested. For example, Bessarabia,
// Transylvania, Polish Corridor, Rhineland, Siberia, Ukraine. There are 14 in
// all, but most of them are for Days of Decision.
Contested := StrToBool(TrimString(S));
Garrison := StrToFloat(TrimString(S));
PartisanCount := StrToInt(TrimString(S));
end;

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 3/8/2014 7:27:02 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 94
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 6:17:46 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ichirou989

I see that great things have gone on since I was last on. Great job on the counters WarHunter!

AxeINL - The division background color for the CW major power listing is set the same as the French division colors. I think they might have been the same in Mech in Flames as well; I do seem to remember them being a light blue like that. Easily changed though, at least for the regular divisions. However it seems to have no effect on the background of the artillery, anti-tank, or AA divisions. Or on any of the paratroopers for that matter. As WarHunter has discovered, there are some strange inconsistencies with the way some of the colors work in the CSV files. Probably only Steve could truly illuminate this, but that's a question for another day when he doesn't have such a large pile on his plate.

At least with the info we have discovered here we are now able to largely change the counter colors in the game to what we may prefer. I'm already thinking of an alternate for the Italians as well as maybe an olive drab for the US.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've suddenly gotten very thirsty for a nice cold beer!

Artillery (all types) and paratroop units use a light blue NATO interior. The only exception is for the Communist Chinese which use a darker blue so they don't get confused with the Nationalist Chinese artillery units.

All marine units use a light green NATO interior.

The above is true for all nations and is hard coded. This is mentioned somewhere in the Players Manual.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 95
RE: Graphics Help - 3/8/2014 6:47:05 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

Here are some screens of CW and Russian counters to compare. What do you think?
Also the new shading for Division sized units are in the screenshot for AxeINL to approve.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WarHunter -- 3/8/2014 7:51:17 PM >

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 96
The KiF channel - 3/8/2014 7:56:05 PM   
AxelNL

Well, I will give advise - but I don't think I am the one who should approve. That is a common decision I would think. But I do approve off, if that is the right use of english to express that I like them.
They are less intrusive than the Russian divs. Is it the original KiF background colour, you used? That would give a nice touch.
We could experiment with a whole lot of different lighter shadings, but having that original KiF background colour relation is appealing.

If we all think we are in good shape to release the KiF mod we should. Perhaps in a different thread which can move up to the stickies list?

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/9/2014 10:08:24 AM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 97
RE: The KiF channel - 3/9/2014 1:40:18 AM   
WarHunter

It is a group project really. If anything was out of place, someone would surely speak up. That's for dang sure.
Any yea or nays out there?

Used the color in Dabrion's post #21 for the divison interior.
Used the color from Khaki in Flames for the Corp/Army interior.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 98
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 4:15:50 AM   
Dabrion

quote:

The artillery Nato box is still that pale French blue. Shouldn't that also become purple? Or is that a standard colour for that type, as the Italian has the same colour?

I notice a green border effect of the counter itself on the screenshot. On purpose?

-------

Your remark on the path gave me inspiriration. Pathfinder is actually not a bad alias. If I get banned you'll find me under that new name. Only pity is that there is no Avatar counter for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_(RAF)

There are some fixed colors for unit types/classes: all Arty: pale blue, MAR/Mar: pale green, PARA/Para: pale blue, most white print also have a white symbol interior.

Cheers

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 3/9/2014 5:23:07 AM >

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 99
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 4:33:23 AM   
Shellshock

Great work guys. Beers all around.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 100
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 11:12:54 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Here are some screens of CW and Russian counters to compare. What do you think?
Also the new shading for Division sized units are in the screenshot for AxeINL to approve.

warspite1

Mmmm while I was pleased that the Khaki counters were added for the board game - that Blue/black combo plays havoc on my eyes in my frail dotage - I could not see the point of changing the traditional blue for the computer game.

However, having seen these latest counters in the screenshot above, I've got to say you've sold me!

Great work WarHunter!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 101
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 4:58:48 PM   
AxelNL

The difficult decision will be if you change your avatar as well!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 102
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 5:18:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The difficult decision will be if you change your avatar as well!
warspite1

Good point - I hadn't thought of that! If the Khaki counters become popular generally I shall have to ask Patrice to work his magic.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 103
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 8:17:57 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Mmmm while I was pleased that the Khaki counters were added for the board game - that Blue/black combo plays havoc on my eyes in my frail dotage - I could not see the point of changing the traditional blue for the computer game.
However, having seen these latest counters in the screenshot above, I've got to say you've sold me!
Great work WarHunter!

warspite1,

Glad you like the effort we all put into it. You also gave me a thought to ponder. It would be nice to see some comparison of the Khaki and the Blue. Warspite BB included.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WarHunter -- 3/9/2014 9:19:21 PM >

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 104
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 8:23:49 PM   
AxelNL

I see you have been removing the anti-aliasing. The space between the undercarriage supports of the older air models was my favourite - not.
How many left?

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 105
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 8:28:41 PM   
Centuur

The New Zealand units need another color for the abbreviation of the country (it's badly visible for me, being colorblind). Also, the white print Australian and Canadian MOT would look better with black wheels (since to me it appears that they are normal INF...).

Apart from this, the counters look good. Even on the map in clear hexes they stand out enough for me in this color...

Peter

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 106
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 8:33:26 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

I see you have been removing the anti-aliasing. The space between the undercarriage supports of the older air models was my favourite - not.
How many left?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "undercarriage".

Maybe if i knew how to remove anti-aliasing, i would understand what i did to remove it. I'm clueless.

added.
One of the problems of mass screen shots. The easiest way to do it is off the Force Pool. But they do not show the best look of a unit in real detail. Only on the map at level 8 can do justice. Still i would like to know what i have removed visually that escapes my notice.

< Message edited by WarHunter -- 3/9/2014 9:41:47 PM >

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 107
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 8:38:15 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

The New Zealand units need another color for the abbreviation of the country (it's badly visible for me, being colorblind). Also, the white print Australian and Canadian MOT would look better with black wheels (since to me it appears that they are normal INF...).

Apart from this, the counters look good. Even on the map in clear hexes they stand out enough for me in this color...

Centuur,

I don't mind working with you to change some colors so you can see them better. What colors would be your choice? I'll just make a Centuur/Khaki folder.
Unfortunately, The NZL in White i have no idea how to change. It may be hard coded.

I can play around with the wheels and see what can be done. Never looked at them before.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 108
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 8:45:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Great work WarHunter!

warspite1,

Glad you like the effort we all put into it. You also gave me a thought to ponder. It would be nice to see some comparison of the Khaki and the Blue. Warspite BB included.

warspite1

Very nice - Yes. Khaki-in-Flames. Sold to the Englishman with the Grand Old Lady fixation .

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 109
RE: Graphics Help - 3/9/2014 8:46:26 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

quote:

How many left?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "undercarriage".

Maybe if i knew how to remove anti-aliasing, i would understand what i did to remove it. I'm clueless.

added.
One of the problems of mass screen shots. The easiest way to do it is off the Force Pool. But they do not show the best look of a unit in real detail. Only on the map at level 8 can do justice. Still i would like to know what i have removed visually that escapes my notice.

Look at post 9 in this thread for an example of the antialiasing which was left after I manually changed the background colour of the bmp files. But it looks you did not have to do this by changing the values in the data files. Nice! Saved a lot of work....

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/9/2014 9:48:15 PM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 110
RE: Graphics Help - 3/10/2014 12:27:34 AM   
WarHunter

quote:

Even though NZL will stay the color it is. Was able to change Australia and Canada to have black wheels on the motorized units.

Take a look at this screenshot and see if there are other badly matched colors.
Changed the Blue for Canada also. I think it stands out much better.

We are close now. Just a few little changes before zipping up a file and giving to the Khaki Beta Testers.
Whoever you might be.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 111
RE: Graphics Help - 3/10/2014 2:49:23 AM   
Ichirou989

I definitely approve of the background color choices. And to Steve, thanks for taking the time to clear up some misunderstandings and letting us know about the hard coding that we were missing.

I've been working a bit with removing the anti-aliasing, it's tricky to remove well and still keep the detail. Here is what I was able to do with the ships. There is also yet another Russian comparison here; for myself I don't think there is any trouble with telling them apart.

Attachment (1)

A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 112
RE: Graphics Help - 3/10/2014 6:40:54 AM   
AxelNL

Impressive work. Transport, convoy and non-aerodynamic air was the most work as the shades of blue were inside the picture itself. Probably like the middle ship on the bottom row as well.

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 3/10/2014 8:09:18 AM >

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 113
RE: Graphics Help - 3/10/2014 6:48:10 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

Even though NZL will stay the color it is. Was able to change Australia and Canada to have black wheels on the motorized units.

Take a look at this screenshot and see if there are other badly matched colors.
Changed the Blue for Canada also. I think it stands out much better.

We are close now. Just a few little changes before zipping up a file and giving to the Khaki Beta Testers.
Whoever you might be.

No, it looks pretty good now. The issues remaining are the same issues I have in MWIF itself, regarding TERR units (where the T in the symbol isn't that visible to me), but I can work around that one because of the word Terr on the counters... Probably done for people like me. Same happens with some GAR in MWIF too (however, the 1 movementpoint is enough information for me). Consider it finished, where colorblind people are concerned.

Peter

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 114
RE: Graphics Help - 3/10/2014 6:49:38 PM   
Centuur

quote:

I definitely approve of the background color choices. And to Steve, thanks for taking the time to clear up some misunderstandings and letting us know about the hard coding that we were missing.

I've been working a bit with removing the anti-aliasing, it's tricky to remove well and still keep the detail. Here is what I was able to do with the ships. There is also yet another Russian comparison here; for myself I don't think there is any trouble with telling them apart.

For me the Soviets have a totally different colour, so no problems there...

Peter

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 115
RE: Graphics Help - 3/11/2014 12:03:17 AM   
WarHunter

quote:

No, it looks pretty good now. The issues remaining are the same issues I have in MWIF itself, regarding TERR units (where the T in the symbol isn't that visible to me), but I can work around that one because of the word Terr on the counters... Probably done for people like me. Same happens with some GAR in MWIF too (however, the 1 movementpoint is enough information for me). Consider it finished, where colorblind people are concerned.

Centuur, Glad to help make it more visible for you.
If you ever want to discuss some minor color changes to your game, just PM me.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 116
RE: Graphics Help - 3/11/2014 12:06:10 AM   
WarHunter

quote:

Ichirou989,
How about if i send you what's been done so far. after looking at it, we could come up with a plan to merge some of the work. Save us some effort.
PM me

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 117
RE: Graphics Help - 3/11/2014 12:05:45 PM   
Ichirou989

WarHunter,

Hope you got the files back from me for review, if not let me know.

A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 118
RE: Graphics Help - 3/11/2014 3:35:10 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

WarHunter,

Hope you got the files back from me for review, if not let me know.

Thanks for the help. You did some great detail work!

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 119
RE: Graphics Help - 3/11/2014 3:36:46 PM   
WarHunter

Before making a new thread for download. Anyone following our work can download and see how it looks on your PC. In case we missed something.

You need to replace files in 2 folders.
Folder 1 "Map Data" 2 files. C:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\Data\Map Data
Folder 2 "Unit bitmaps" 32 files. C:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\Bitmaps\Unit Bitmaps

If you need any help. Just ask.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Graphics Help Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI