Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED B631] SAM Minimum Alt Cannot Engage Helos

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> [FIXED B631] SAM Minimum Alt Cannot Engage Helos Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED B631] SAM Minimum Alt Cannot Engage Helos - 12/29/2013 8:20:13 PM   
Juramentado

So I'm fine tuning one of my scenarios before releasing to public beta, and I noted that certain helos can operate at a minimum altitude of 20 feet. Which means they can actually sneak in well under ANY surface-to-air missile envelope - I checked common IR MANPADS all the way to popular SARH and they ALL have to have a target altitude of 30 feet minimum. Not realistic I would think. Yes, helos can do NOE, but this data disparity actually allows a helo to sneak well within inside SAM DLZ but remain outside gun ranges and deliver ordnance without penalty. I have tested this.

Technically there should also be a random chance that NOE sustained for long periods results in a possibility of crash. Even with AP, GPS and other technical means, flying low is statistically hazardous. H did model this, although I had a tendency to think that game engine's randomization put the threshold rather low for a crash to occur.

< Message edited by emsoy -- 12/23/2014 11:22:46 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: B481 - SAM Minimum Alt Cannot Engage Helos - 12/29/2013 10:06:27 PM   
mikmykWS

Thanks. We'll take a look.

Mike

(in reply to Juramentado)
Post #: 2
RE: B481 - SAM Minimum Alt Cannot Engage Helos - 12/29/2013 10:59:34 PM   
bsq

Think this may be working properly. Most of the larger missiles have an active fuse with a range of approx 10 metres - if it gets closer to the ground than that, the missile goes 'bang'...

Helo's are why Tungusta and then Pantsyr were built - high enough, then use the missiles, too low, use the guns.

BTW NOE, most Helo pilots would be more worried about RPG's and Heavy (14.5mm) MG's - flying below the SAM's is exactly why they do this...

< Message edited by bsq -- 12/30/2013 12:05:40 AM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> [FIXED B631] SAM Minimum Alt Cannot Engage Helos Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI