Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 3/26/2014 12:03:52 PM   
Panta_slith

I concur.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pekische

I would be interested in maps from post 48 also ;)

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 61
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 3/26/2014 4:09:20 PM   
z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: W1ll14m

jds1978, z1812: I would offer a set of maps with these elevation colors if I had the web space for them. A theme map pack is another 200MB, and bound to grow once Mad Russian or the community create more maps. But I don't have that space.
When Matrix Games starts hosting mods / scenarios, I'll happily upload all map themes to their web space. Until then, I'm not going to bother with annoying file hosters, or creating another personal Dropbox / Google Drive / Skydrive account to host the files.

The other thing that would help would be the game accepting .jpg maps, which (in my case) are about 60% smaller than (optimized for size) .pngs.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully Matrix, and/or Slitherine will open a mod site soon for the proper support of this game and others.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 62
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 3/26/2014 11:27:58 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

The other thing that would help would be the game accepting .jpg maps, which (in my case) are about 60% smaller than (optimized for size) .pngs.

The reason they are smaller is they compress and you lose detail. That's why we went the route we did.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 63
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/5/2014 12:39:23 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

Nicely done. I like the looks of the grid lines, gives them a militaristic look to them. One thing I would say is that I think you over did the small individual type trees.

I'm quoting this picture again since I've just changed how I render these "mixed" / "clear" hexes. Although I still put a bunch of trees in them (to indicate these hexes are harder to see through and move through than the "fields" acres hexes), the trees are no longer distributed randomly. Instead, the trees there are either grouped in a few clumps (in case the hex doesn't contain a road), or the trees are positioned to line up with the road. This matches the Bavarian terrain on Sabre21's photo.

The maps also received additional soft wide shading "behind" the hills, which makes it easier to read elevation. (Actually, it makes elevation so much more obvious I toned down the elevation color blending in the forest). See below:

Please use the link in the first post to fetch the new maps (in Summer, Summer Inverted, Winter and printer-friendly themes).

William

Attachment (1)

William
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 64
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/6/2014 1:29:38 PM   
TAKODA

W1ll14m I'm finding it much easier to see different elevation heights with your new maps, great work.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 65
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/6/2014 5:53:44 PM   
WABAC

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21
[...] One thing I would say is that I think you over did the small individual type trees.

The thing I noticed about living over there was that there were 3 types of terrain. Built up area, heavy wooded areas, and farmers fields.

I attached a pic I took over an area that was referred to as "Little Switzerland" due to its hilly terrain. This was in Bavaria and if I can find more I will post them. Note that where there are steep inclines or hills, there are trees, and outside of towns and denser forests there are farmer fields with few if any individual trees.

The Germans farm every bit of land possible. There are very few trees outside of the towns and forests. [...]

Great comment. I'm also not happy with the randomly placed individual trees. However, I was less happy with the empty "clear" aka "mixed" hexes, whose look didn't match their meaning the game: these empty "mixed" hexes are harder to see through (4 hindrance vs 2), and to move through (5 hindrance vs 3) than fields. It didn't feel right to put arty units or HQ units in empty "mixed" hexes instead of "fields" hexes, although this is the right thing to do.

Now the roads are positioned right (see post above), I like to try filling the "mixed" hexes in a more appropriate way. For "mixed" hexes containing roads (and most of them do), lining up these roads with trees and the occasional building probably looks better (as in the bottom of your Bavaria photo).
For other types of "mixed" hexes on hills, putting in small clumps of trees might be an improvement.
I'm not sure what to do with the remaining mixed hexes (probably representing breweries, landfills, power stations, automotive test tracks - I can check on Google maps),

William
p.s. Sabre21, thanks for your contributions to this forum. Your posts have added greatly to my understanding of helicopter tactics, and to me enjoying the game!

Regarding the open spaces . . . Orchards? Vineyards? WWII British Geographical Section, General Staff maps have nice depictions of these: http://gallery.bl.uk/viewall/default.aspx?e=Maps%20of%20Europe&n=24&r=10

Added this one from around Luneburg: http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/maps/europe/zoomify139006.html

Everything but golf courses

< Message edited by WABAC -- 4/6/2014 6:58:15 PM >

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 66
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/8/2014 5:00:28 AM   
Killjoy12

Really nice maps!

(in reply to WABAC)
Post #: 67
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/11/2014 5:16:28 AM   
Killjoy12

The more I have used these maps, the more I like them! Once again, this is a really nice job.

(in reply to Killjoy12)
Post #: 68
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/14/2014 1:01:24 AM   
tombo

help...i try to D/L the maps but the D/L stops half way through..then i get a diagnostic warning that it breaks?? Tried a few times and get maybe 6 to 10 files. Not seen that before.

(in reply to Killjoy12)
Post #: 69
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/14/2014 2:43:59 PM   
jds1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: tombo

help...i try to D/L the maps but the D/L stops half way through..then i get a diagnostic warning that it breaks?? Tried a few times and get maybe 6 to 10 files. Not seen that before.

I also had this happen.....just keep DL'ing. It took me about a half dozen attempts before I got the whole zip file. Frustrating, but this is great user content for free.

(in reply to tombo)
Post #: 70
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 4/26/2014 2:07:41 AM   
WABAC

I am using one of your winter maps (Red Storm 1) for my first effort at creating a scenario. I hope I can do it justice.

(in reply to jds1978)
Post #: 71
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/10/2014 9:15:48 PM   
WildCatNL

(This update is very much inspired by The Plodder's introduction of urban textures. Without these as an example, I wouldn't have been able to come up with good 'perimeter blocks' to define rural/city roads, houses and trees. Thanks!).

Zoom-in on a map (Red Storm 1, 'Inverted Summer' theme):

As of this update, towns and cities are represented through "perimeter blocks", and houses and trees are planted accordingly, except where there is a road, stream, bridge or hillside. This yields better looking towns, with more realistic town outlines.
Additionally, I've toned down blurring of the terrain.
All 27 maps have been re-rendered, in Summer, Inverted Summer and Winter themes.

William

William

(in reply to WABAC)
Post #: 72
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/11/2014 12:26:50 AM   
jds1978

Hate to be the party pooper, but I can't seem to DL this. It gets about 1/3rd way through then breaks off. Has anyone been able to succeed?

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 73
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/11/2014 2:30:06 AM   
budd

i get a check sum error when unzipping on CA 3 redstorm and the unzip stops there so only the first 2 maps unzip.I downloaded the summer version....not inverted.

< Message edited by **budd** -- 6/11/2014 3:32:11 AM >

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to jds1978)
Post #: 74
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/11/2014 2:48:31 AM   
budd

The inverted ones worked fine. The new cities and less blur looks goods, thank you.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 75
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/11/2014 3:00:09 PM   
Killjoy12

I had some trouble for a bit, but then they downloaded fine when I tried a few hours ago. They look nice - thanks!

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 76
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/11/2014 9:51:59 PM   
WildCatNL

The .zip files are hosted externally at one of the better (and expensive) Dutch hosting providers. I can download and unzip all themes without issues. If you had troubles before, please try again, and let me know if the downloads continue to be problematic.

William

William

(in reply to Killjoy12)
Post #: 77
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/11/2014 11:35:20 PM   
jds1978

Still no luck....I get between 20-50 MB and the DL stops

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 78
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/12/2014 12:20:34 AM   
budd

tried to download the summer theme again since i got the check sum error on the first download. Tried twice, first one stopped at 10 megs , next one at 16 megs .....they both just said finished at the sizes i posted. I have the inverted ones installed and working fine so far.

(in reply to jds1978)
Post #: 79
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/12/2014 1:21:35 PM   
Emx77

quote:

(This update is very much inspired by The Plodder's introduction of urban textures. Without these as an example, I wouldn't have been able to come up with good 'perimeter blocks' to define rural/city roads, houses and trees. Thanks!).

Zoom-in on a map (Red Storm 1, 'Inverted Summer' theme):

As of this update, towns and cities are represented through "perimeter blocks", and houses and trees are planted accordingly, except where there is a road, stream, bridge or hillside. This yields better looking towns, with more realistic town outlines.
Additionally, I've toned down blurring of the terrain.
All 27 maps have been re-rendered, in Summer, Inverted Summer and Winter themes.

William

William, thank you VERY MUCH for this. Your urban textures are awesome and certainly are rising gameplay experience on a whole new level. Thank you again.

< Message edited by Emir Agic -- 6/12/2014 2:23:16 PM >

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 80
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/12/2014 2:21:58 PM   
MirabelleBenou

Thanks for your work, it's awesome :)

Anyway, I tried to download the latest release (the "summer" one), and I too have problem (download stopped before the end).

I'm trying again now, in case of a possible failure of my Internet link.

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 81
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/12/2014 7:30:27 PM   
mikkey

inverted maps are excellent, thanks W1ll14m!

(in reply to MirabelleBenou)
Post #: 82
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/12/2014 10:06:28 PM   
jds1978

finally got 'em

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 83
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/13/2014 10:11:47 AM   
MirabelleBenou

Same here, got them on the 2nd try :)

Thanks for your work.

(in reply to jds1978)
Post #: 84
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/13/2014 1:00:39 PM   
Jafele

Very nice maps, William. Thanks a lot.

(in reply to MirabelleBenou)
Post #: 85
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/15/2014 6:56:56 AM   
djoos5

The inverted summer are awesome! Thanks! Now I have to struggle with the choice to use your maps or Plodders.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 86
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/24/2014 10:00:34 PM   
WildCatNL

Here's something for discussion, created while waiting for the 2.04 patch with possibly new maps:
- (20 pixel) map margins, with grid coords for the closest hex

It's mainly a decorative effect, resembling the margin of paper maps. However, the grid coords do match the hex ids reasonably well. The grid lines still have 1km spacing.

What do you think?

William

Attachment (1)

William

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 87
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/24/2014 10:14:16 PM   
Killjoy12

That's an interesting idea.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 88
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/25/2014 12:08:26 AM   
jds1978

quote:

Here's something for discussion, created while waiting for the 2.04 patch with possibly new maps:
- (20 pixel) map margins, with grid coords for the closest hex

It's mainly a decorative effect, resembling the margin of paper maps. However, the grid coords do match the hex ids reasonably well. The grid lines still have 1km spacing.

What do you think?

William

I like!

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 89
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/25/2014 2:13:14 AM   
IronMikeGolf

Oh, that's great. Now we need....river names. Just kidding.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to jds1978)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI