Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/9/2014 1:59:23 PM   
Blu3wolf

G'day all! I have here a contender for the title of smallest file size for an exercise in Command, at just 11 KB...

The RAN is hosting wargames with the USN... maybe Ill do some more if there is any interest haha!

This first engagement is pretty simple, a RAN ASuW mission and a USN ASW mission... pick a side and go!

(Do note that the ASW mission may be fairly easy against Command's AI. Approved for Joint Command.)

Id love feedback, if you have time to offer it.

Attachment (1)

To go up, pull back on the stick.
To go down, pull back harder...

Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance.
Post #: 1
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/10/2014 7:47:34 AM   
82charlie

Never did find the sub playing from the USN side. I used all default ASW mission presets with time fast forward. I wish that we had an option to set our own depth on DIFAR and DICASS. Layer was -125m to -210m and they were all droping at -40m and -230m. None dropped inside the layer.

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/10/2014 8:56:10 AM   
Blu3wolf

hmm... well its not real easy to pick it up apparently. I did have one user show me a near perfect record as the USN against the sub...

The Collins is a pretty quiet sub though! Ideally its meant to be a challenge for both sides.

(in reply to 82charlie)
Post #: 3
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/10/2014 9:37:23 AM   
Maromak

More difficult than I imagined! Thanks for the challenge.

Certa Cito

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 4
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/11/2014 4:48:23 PM   
Blu3wolf

aww, 17 downloads and 2 replies? well, if it needed tweaking, surely someone would have told me about it...

clearly this means that it is perfect!

(in reply to Maromak)
Post #: 5
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/12/2014 5:49:02 AM   
Bazza042

OK, I confess

In three outings: two as the hunter I couldn't find the sub on either occasion: the bad news was that on one of those outings it found me.....

As the sub I (easily) evaded the hunter, he didn't get a sniff apparently.

I sort of like the scenario but I find it a bit 'all or nothing'. I can gallop through the scenario quite quickly on accelerated time but at the end
its all a bit unsatisfying. I suppose what I am saying is that it is a bit non-nuanced. It either ends with a big bang or nothing. I appreciate that
it is a 'small' scenario which means you can either strike 'lucky' or miss out.

But I experienced no COMMAND issues with the scenario at all.

I'm not having a go at the scenario itself: it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Thanks for the ride

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 6
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/12/2014 5:55:55 AM   
Blu3wolf

possibly I should change the briefing Bazza? I mean, as the sub, you are also a hunter haha!

I guess as a small scenario it is a bit all or nothing really, but I must ask, was it obvious to you that as the sub, you should be trying to attack the frigate?

Im glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, even if there was some issues with it, and Im sorry its unsatisfying after 24 hours of accelerated time.

thanks for providing feedback!

(in reply to Bazza042)
Post #: 7
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/12/2014 2:24:59 PM   
Primarchx

Playing as the US I was able to detect the Collins with an active sonobuoy quite early. I followed it for some time, trying to classify it, but only got as far as determining it was an SSK. When it broke 30nm from the OHP I attacked with helo-dropped LHT.

Noticed that the sub would 'porpoise' from max depth to periscope. Due to this I would deploy sonobuoys in pairs - 1 shallow (using Shift/sonobuoy drop key) and 1 deep to maintain track.

BTW, scenario kept running after Collins-class was sunk.

< Message edited by Primarchx -- 1/12/2014 3:27:28 PM >

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 8
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/12/2014 11:32:40 PM   
Maromak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Due to this I would deploy sonobuoys in pairs - 1 shallow (using Shift/sonobuoy drop key) and 1 deep to maintain track.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I should RTFM more often :)

Certa Cito

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 9
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/13/2014 7:12:00 AM   
Bazza042

I wasn't 'moaning' about the scenario as such. And I thought that the briefing was fine.

However having had another go round as the Australian sub I was a bit aggrieved to find that I was being attacked before I got into the exercise area. I know all is fair in love and war, but....

I do wonder whether both sides should start within the exercise area. In this case, because of the reasonable tight time limit,(and my previous lack of success ) I had put the sub into cruise which, presumably, made it easy to detect. A helicopter immediately arrived and I was sunk a (very) short distance from my start point which, as you are aware, is a bit outside the exercise area.

I think that, despite my slight reservations expressed in the earlier post, it is good to have a scenario that literally only takes 15-20 minutes, if that. Although I like the more 'complicated' scenarios it can take me longer than this 'setting up' on some of them, especially if there are no missions included at the start of the scenario.....

Thanks for the response.

So its good to have a relatively quick 'filler' when time is at a premium.

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 10
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/13/2014 8:21:44 PM   
COTrock

I like these small scenarios and the ability to play through them enough times to statistically check the effectiveness of my tactics and to get to know the platforms. I played this scenario 20 times from the US side using my standard tactics for sub hunting and got these results...

16 times - Sub killed
0 times - Ship/Helos killed
0 times - Sub killed first but Ship/Helos killed too
1 time - Ship/Helos killed first but Sub killed too
3 times - No kills, Sub never detected

I'll try some similar testing from the RAN side when I get some time.

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 11
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/14/2014 2:51:59 AM   
Blu3wolf

quote:

Playing as the US I was able to detect the Collins with an active sonobuoy quite early. I followed it for some time, trying to classify it, but only got as far as determining it was an SSK. When it broke 30nm from the OHP I attacked with helo-dropped LHT.

Noticed that the sub would 'porpoise' from max depth to periscope. Due to this I would deploy sonobuoys in pairs - 1 shallow (using Shift/sonobuoy drop key) and 1 deep to maintain track.

BTW, scenario kept running after Collins-class was sunk.

Ill update the briefing I think - it is intended to be clear in the briefing that classifying the contact is only necessary to make sure it is not a biologic. The sea area you are in (NOT the area marked with RPs) is intended to represent a no ROE zone, simply fire at unidentified contacts - active warzone conditions with no friendlies nearby.

In fact, possible to make it more of a challenge to the USN, I should add the requirement to classify the contact, or maybe add some spurious targets. thoughts anyone?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maromak

quote:

Due to this I would deploy sonobuoys in pairs - 1 shallow (using Shift/sonobuoy drop key) and 1 deep to maintain track.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I should RTFM more often :)

me too, I didnt know you could do this either : )

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bazza042

I wasn't 'moaning' about the scenario as such. And I thought that the briefing was fine.

However having had another go round as the Australian sub I was a bit aggrieved to find that I was being attacked before I got into the exercise area. I know all is fair in love and war, but....

I do wonder whether both sides should start within the exercise area. In this case, because of the reasonable tight time limit,(and my previous lack of success ) I had put the sub into cruise which, presumably, made it easy to detect. A helicopter immediately arrived and I was sunk a (very) short distance from my start point which, as you are aware, is a bit outside the exercise area.

I think that, despite my slight reservations expressed in the earlier post, it is good to have a scenario that literally only takes 15-20 minutes, if that. Although I like the more 'complicated' scenarios it can take me longer than this 'setting up' on some of them, especially if there are no missions included at the start of the scenario.....

Thanks for the response.

So its good to have a relatively quick 'filler' when time is at a premium.

Im glad you like the idea of the scenario as filler time - that was more or less one of the reasons I made it, was to be short and sweet, and it was also meant for me to practice submarine techniques, which is not something I have experience with before.

I think I will alter the briefing at least, as it should be clear to the player that the area marked by the reference points is only a possible location for their target - the areas marked out for both sides differ, and neither side is limited in where they can go. The concept of an 'exercise area' in this case is not appropriate - maybe I should add a larger area for both sides, and call it the exercise area? basically, for this exercise, the exercise area is wherever you can get, in the next 24 hours from the start of the scenario.

I dont want players to feel like they have to go to flank to get into the area marked either, so possibly I could move them a bit closer. again...

as things stand already though, you should be able to get to the far side of the exercise area comfortably within 24 hours even at a low speed.

I note that at a higher speed, you would be picked up by the sonar on your target, USS Underwood (a perry class) - and they have a more sensitive sonar than you do. This would likely account for the heli dispatched when you opened the throttle...

thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

quote:

ORIGINAL: COTrock

I like these small scenarios and the ability to play through them enough times to statistically check the effectiveness of my tactics and to get to know the platforms. I played this scenario 20 times from the US side using my standard tactics for sub hunting and got these results...

16 times - Sub killed
0 times - Ship/Helos killed
0 times - Sub killed first but Ship/Helos killed too
1 time - Ship/Helos killed first but Sub killed too
3 times - No kills, Sub never detected

I'll try some similar testing from the RAN side when I get some time.

well, the tactics thing was kind of why I made it haha! 20 times is dedication indeed... so far, I am wondering if your records are more an indictment of the AI for the mission I set for the Collins, or simply the collins challenge against a ship designed to hunt subs.

possibly when you get time to do that testing for the RAN side, we will see if its just your skill at defeating the AI, or if the collins is simply no match for the perry!

thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 12
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/14/2014 6:19:27 AM   
Bazza042

quote:

I dont want players to feel like they have to go to flank to get into the area marked either, so possibly I could move them a bit closer. again...

as things stand already though, you should be able to get to the far side of the exercise area comfortably within 24 hours even at a low speed.

I note that at a higher speed, you would be picked up by the sonar on your target, USS Underwood (a perry class) - and they have a more sensitive sonar than you do. This would likely account for the heli dispatched when you opened the throttle...

Oh I wasn't really surprised that I was 'detected' going at cruise.....

The problem I had, exacerbated by my previous poor performance, is that it takes six hours at 'creep' speed for the sub to reach, what I had assumed was, the exercise area. So what I was trying to do was to get there sharpish so that I would have about 23 hours to look for the ship rather than the eighteen previously. However in the light of your comments that is now moot.

I had assumed that the exercise area was the one that is apparently marked as such so I do agree that the instructions do need to say that the exercise starts 'immediately' rather than when you enter the marked area. Indeed I slightly wonder what purpose the current marked area serves? As you say it would be better to have a larger area with the two combatants already within it, probably right on the edge, to avoid confusion. I understand the need for some kind of 'zone' you don't want the sub heading north and the ship going south....

It might be the shortest scenario but the briefing is getting longer

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 13
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 1/14/2014 12:58:38 PM   
Primarchx

If the Devs are watching - the shallow sonobuoy drop command (SHIFT-[ or SHIFT-]) isn't in the manual. I had to refer to the old keyboard command Excel file to find it. Will post in tech issues forum, too.

< Message edited by Primarchx -- 1/14/2014 1:59:26 PM >

(in reply to Bazza042)
Post #: 14
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 2/12/2014 1:20:27 PM   
Dimitris

bump

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 15
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 2/12/2014 9:50:46 PM   
Blu3wolf

its probably going to be a little while before I get around to doing any more scenarios. The computer which Command is installed on has a dead HDD... and I don't really have the cash to replace it at present.

: (

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 16
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 2/13/2014 8:51:57 PM   
Dannyp19

Hey Wolf save your $$$ and get a SSD! I purchased one for my newest computer build and Command runs excellent, even the large scen.'s run great in accelerated time.

(in reply to Blu3wolf)
Post #: 17
RE: Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D - 2/14/2014 1:02:29 AM   
Blu3wolf

I have one actually. ...

problem is command was on the HDD, the OS and falcon BMS were the only things on my SSD.

(in reply to Dannyp19)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Just for Fun... the RAN is hosting wargames : D Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI