Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/9/2001 2:22:00 PM   
Joe

I'm almost 29 and waiting like crazy for the 5.0. I'm getting an ADSL line by the kind help of my company and I'm praying that I will be able to play online despite the firewall. I just had to tell that to someone. Joe ps. Thank you very much Matrix and please tell me that you will accept international orders.

- Joe

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 31
- 3/9/2001 2:31:00 PM   
Wild Bill

"Make a hole, make it wide!" (I ain't that big, just like the sound of it! ). The ancient one approacheth! Warmly known in the testing circles as "Greyhair6," "The old Fart," " the old buzzard," "Pops," "The Kunel," and other choice names which a "G" rating prevent me from mentioning (I never liked those guys anyway!)I suppose I am approaching patriarchial age now. I'm 64, all parts working (sometimes) and have been an avid wargamer since 1965, beginning with AH Afrika Korps (Small world, huh?) and Midway. 35 years, hundreds of board games and 7 computers later, I'm still enjoying the hobby, learning every day and being thankful for this wonderful crowd of fellow enthusiasts, young and old, around the world. As a child I never dreamed it would be this good! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 32
- 3/9/2001 2:35:00 PM   
USMCGrunt

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: "Make a hole, make it wide!" (I ain't that big, just like the sound of it! ). The ancient one approacheth! Warmly known in the testing circles as "Greyhair6," "The old Fart," " the old buzzard," "Pops," "The Kunel," and other choice names which a "G" rating prevent me from mentioning (I never liked those guys anyway!)I suppose I am approaching patriarchial age now.
Sorry Wild Bill, but you know me. I just have to throw in a little tongue-in-cheek humor. Looking over your post, I just have to add 1 nickname "The Venerable One" and of course ask the question that's on everyone's mind. Just what was it like to hunt the mammoth? I kid because I care. ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 33
- 3/9/2001 2:49:00 PM   
parusski

I am 34. I cut my teeth on SQUAD LEADER. I have two sons who also play SPWAW, one is 16 and the other is 15. We are all in wargame heaven(of course my wife is planning to sue matrix, but screw her).

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 34
- 3/9/2001 2:53:00 PM   
Fredde

29.. been deeply involved in war games since the mature age of 11 (anyone beat that? ). My early favourite was Kampfgruppe, preceeded by some old games which I can't remember the name of.. board games made by a Swedish company. Had all versions of Steel Panthers.. but never got much involved with the community before SPWAW came out.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 35
- 3/9/2001 4:17:00 PM   
JTV

Age 29. I have been playing SP-seris games since SP1 was published and doing oobs (mobs/kobs) since first mob-editors were made for SP2.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 36
- 3/9/2001 4:48:00 PM   
varjager

31 and started back in 84 with "war in russia" From AH.Then i got my old Atari and played eastern front!

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 37
- 3/9/2001 4:50:00 PM   
Don Doom

41, married[wife is actully glad I found spwaw, i.e. the kids hound me to play instead of her game ]enough kids to man a panzer without the wife or me in it! Started with 1/35 models back in the early 70's moved on to AH & SPI's board games, can you even say SPI's games where board games? They had those large maps of europe/russia, ahh memorys. ------------------ Doom

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 38
- 3/9/2001 5:05:00 PM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by USMCGrunt: Sorry Wild Bill, but you know me. I just have to throw in a little tongue-in-cheek humor. Looking over your post, I just have to add 1 nickname "The Venerable One" and of course ask the question that's on everyone's mind. Just what was it like to hunt the mammoth?
ROTFLMAO - I think he actually road those to school - if they had school back then!! And he left out my favorite nick for the Wild Man "Old Man Grumpus"!! Also, it's great to hear all these old game names again - what's scary is - I've played most of them! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 39
- 3/9/2001 5:39:00 PM   
Belaja smert

One of the "juniors", huh! My clock is ticking at 26 yrs.

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 40
- 3/9/2001 5:47:00 PM   
Reg

37. Hooked on 'Patrol' in 1976 and reeled in on Napoleon at Waterloo. Then a copy of SPI's Desert War came out of the cupboard. I was in seventh Heaven!! (Might explain the current interest in SPWaW). Funny thing is that I can still remember that first game like it was yesterday in spite of getting incapacitated in the woods. (I'm still mad at the guy who started that forest fire ). Reg. (Yes, Figmo who can forget SPI's Strategy and Tactics magazine. The hobby owes a lot to those guys). [This message has been edited by Reg (edited March 09, 2001).]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 41
- 3/9/2001 5:57:00 PM   
melcer

I'm 26 and soon to be married. Started with role-playing games when I was 11 but soon found out about wargaming. I've all SP games and SPWAW has been the game I've played most since I found out about it six month ago. I like both tactics and strategy but I haven't found any game that combines these two aspects in a good way. Does anyone have a good suggestion? Melcer

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 42
- 3/9/2001 6:45:00 PM   
Hauptmann6

Well, I am going to make you guys feel really old, but I am 22. Started gaming when I was 13ish with Shell Shock and Advanced Third Reich then to World in Flames. At 15 I got into miniature games with Johny Reb and haven't looked back or into my wallet since... hehe Haupt

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 43
- 3/9/2001 6:55:00 PM   
Kilroy

44, When your last name is Kilroy it kind of associates you to the war years on its own. Started playing Rise and Fall of the Third Reich years ago with my father, who I wish were alive today to see how far this hobby or, or as I should state, part of life has come. Between my wife, three dauhgters, and financial obligations....I hate the word work, I wish I had the time to get involved with on-line play. SPwaw and this forum are a great tribute to wargaming.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 44
- 3/9/2001 7:13:00 PM   
Hortlund

27 yrs old, married with kids (well..really just one, but since he's only 3 months, the workload is the equivalent of at least 3 kids, I promise Started out with SL when I was 9 or 10, but we never did understand that rulebook so we made up our own rules. Proved to give some *really* interesting situations. Just to mention a few examples: prisoners were not prisoners but unarmed commandos that would have to ambush and steal the guns of other units. the MA of any tank or gun(for example 75L)was not the caliber, but the range the gun could fire in hexes. Believe me when I say that those 280mm Nebelwerfers were real killers. Each squad had the number of men depicted on the counter. Made stacking pretty exciting. The typical battle was fought using every avaliable map and every avaliable counter. The target accusition (how DO you spell that word) counters were mines, with each counter representing one mine. Broken = dead, so we would have the battlefield littered with corpses. Damn we had fun in those days. I just wish I had a photo or something of one of our battlefields. Try to imagine one of our infamous river crossings, where each rubber raft carried something like 20 counters (they had something like 40pp, and since each squad only were 2 men... Steve

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 45
- 3/9/2001 8:16:00 PM   
Gallo Rojo

I’m 30 years old now, and I’ll be 31 on next march 12th I started at 6 with best all times classic: chess. At 11 years old begun with a local variation of RISK At 16 years with something very similar board version of what now is SP: Panzer Blizt from AVALON HILL GAMES I had discovered SPI four years ago. SPWaW last year. And now I get what I was looking all my life in terms of strategic games. By the way: I did some numbers: Average SPWaW player age is 37 years old. ------------------ No Pasarán!!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 46
- 3/9/2001 8:40:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Gallo, that's interesting about the average age. Right in the middle of the 35-44 demographic, many with experience in boardgames. No surprises there.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 47
- 3/9/2001 8:41:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Gallo, that's interesting about the average age. Right in the middle of the 35-44 demographic, many with experience in boardgames. No surprises there.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 48
- 3/9/2001 8:50:00 PM   
mogami

Hi, first wargame SPI's "War in Europe" 1976 (afterwhich I bought every SPI game I could find but I never did like many AH games?) Then I played Strat-o-matic baseball and football and Napoleonic minatures in Atlanta 78-80 time frame. first computer war game "Tigers in the Snow" C-64 1984 (I think...its fuzzy now) Favorite game designer....guess? 44 going on 12!!!! ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction! [This message has been edited by Mogami (edited March 09, 2001).]

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 49
- 3/9/2001 8:52:00 PM   
lynchc

35, married (as long as I don't play too much) with three girls (think I can get them into wargames?) Started playing around the age of 10, my first hardcore wargame was probably Tobruk. This is where I was 'convinced' by an older uncle to take the British, they will outnumber the 'pitiful' Pz IIIJ tanks that the Germans would field. Wow what an early learning lesson that was.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 50
- 3/9/2001 8:54:00 PM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by Gallo Rojo: By the way: I did some numbers: Average SPWaW player age is 37 years old.
I bet if you take the oldest and youngest - Wild Bill (64) and Hauptmann6 (22) - out of the mix the average will go down by 5 years!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 51
- 3/9/2001 9:01:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by Gallo Rojo: By the way: I did some numbers: Average SPWaW player age is 37 years old.
Thanks Gallo to make me feel in the "average",then ! I'm infact 37,married,father of two,I started playing boardgames 20 years ago, mainly with AH's SQUAD LEADER. ------------------ Federico "Resisti" Doveri If you cannot defeat your enemy,join him.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 52
- 3/9/2001 9:10:00 PM   
RUsco

45, Married, 3 Kids, All moved out. 1 Grand daughter. Started with Risk. Moved on to Axis and Allies. Panzer General and Allied General on Playstation. Got my first Comp about 5 years ago and found Steel Panthers the Arsenal and have been playing SP since. Now on second Comp.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 53
- 3/9/2001 9:12:00 PM   
Fabs

I'm 45. I've been interested in military history since my teens. I bought my first board game when I was around 30. It was Squad Leader. I played with SSI's Wargame Construction Set as my firs Computer Wargaming experience, and tried Kampfgruppe. Steel Panthers was a real jump ahead, and with its current SPWAW incarnation as close to Wargamer heaven as I've got. Thanks, Matrix, for making it possible. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 54
- 3/9/2001 9:29:00 PM   
Pave

If I didn't get wrong in the calculations, I'm the third or second youngest so far. I'm 23, student, living in Finland. Because I'm a student, I haven't had so much time playing this great game lately. I've had a computer since 1988 (or was it '89?). Started with Amiga. I haven't had heart to give away even the first Amiga I had, so I have them all working. The first tactical/strategic game I had was SP2 some years ago. Ever since I haven't played much anything else than SP series(SP2, SP3, SPWW2, SPWAW) except WW2 flight simulators. I'm very interested in WW2 so I guess that explains the games I play. I must say, I'm very surprised to see that most of you are over 30 and some even over 50.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 55
- 3/9/2001 9:37:00 PM   
David F. Wall

I'm just shy of 38, and I've been gaming since I was about 14. DFW

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 56
- 3/9/2001 9:37:00 PM   
GuntherX

35 Going on 11. Started with AH'S Tobruk.

R.D.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 57
- 3/9/2001 10:00:00 PM   
Don Eddins

Well ... let me help Wild Bill and Don boost the average up a little ... 61 next month. Started out with Blitzkrieg in the late '60's, then through all the Strategy and Tactics and Avalon Hill years, especially Squad Leader and ASL. But I was getting a little jaded and missed the excitement of those glory years of board wargaming. Or worried that I was just getting old. But SP:WaW has brought it all back ... in spades! Thank you, Matrix. And thanks to all the countless others who have contributed through this forum and in other ways.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 58
- 3/9/2001 10:09:00 PM   
Sami

Jeez, I never thought that the age-range would be this broad! I'm 26, married last summer. ...the wife's biological clock is ticking badly and as a matter of fact, her best friend gave birth to a boy about 20 hours ago, and now it's almost the only thing she talks about. Damn... I should've known this was coming...!!! I started gaming at the age of 9, I think, with RISK (does it count?). I quickly moved into C-64 games and been gaming since. Mostly played computers but back in the early-mid 90s also board games. I still remember Imperium Romanum II, Third Reich, Flat Top, Eastern Front and World in Flames. Nowdays it's mostly Close Combat series and SPWAW. I also like Alpha Centauri a lot, while sometimes enjoying Colin McRae (heh, I'm a Finn ). [This message has been edited by Sami (edited March 09, 2001).]

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 59
- 3/9/2001 10:47:00 PM   
sami heimola

I'm 33, single and I have been played SP series from 1995 (SP1). I have other wargames too (Eastern Front/Western Front, TOAW1/2, Panzer Commander, People's General, Close Combat 2, Sid Meier's Gettysburg). Sami

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI